Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is It Safe To Get A Haircut Yet?

Has anyone gone to get their haircut at a barbershop or salon since COVID-19? If so, how did they take precautions? And if you wear a mask while getting a haircut, how do they get around the band of the mask?

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 8:08 PM

I went in NY last month. Limited number of stylists and clients. No talking while getting shampooed. Stylists wore gloves, masks and goggles. Clients required to wear masks. I had to hold it on my face briefly when she cut around my ears. No blow drying. I was in and out in 10 minutes and felt pretty safe.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 9:19 PM

no...simply no........

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 9:20 PM

Yes. They were just really particular with sanitizing everytthing and the cleaning. No, did not wear a mask as we don't use masks here in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 9:21 PM

Yes, depending on the shop

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 9:21 PM

Who's been able to get his beard shaved off at a barber shop in the last month?

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 9:22 PM

Nothing in today's world is "safe" except staying cooped up in your house. Salons (and other businesses) can make it safer, but there will always be a risk, especially in areas where the virus is rampant. You have to decide if it's a risk you're comfortable with.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 9:24 PM

No barbershops or salons are open here in San Francisco. My last haircut was in early March, so I'm about two weeks away from a ponytail now. I look fucking insane.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 9:25 PM

I haven't been able to go since March either and I ended up getting clippers and giving myself a buzz cut. I looked like a Make-a-Wish kid. I now wear a baseball hat everyday.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 9:28 PM

Don't get a haircut...get them all cut.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 9:28 PM

I fucking bought a pit bull shaver and shaved my head. The bald look is so easy and freeing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2020 9:33 PM

My barbershop has one customer at a time by appointment. Of course you have to wear a mask and the barber wears a mask. You get a temperature check when you come in.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 9:34 PM

[Quote]No, did not wear a mask as we don't use masks here in Norway.

DOH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 9:42 PM

I’ve had about 4 haircuts..I think it’s safe

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2020 9:43 PM

r8

Trust me it's an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2020 9:47 PM

There is a new covid look with a few signature styles. I have the buzz cut. DIY easy.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 9:50 PM

Yes, I was required to wear a mask asked to sanitize hands upon entering. The stylist took my temperature . The stylist wore gloves while washing and cutting my hair. My name and number were taken for tracking purposes.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 10:00 PM

^ The stylist wore a mask as well.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 10:02 PM

No, my hair doesn't grow.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 10:08 PM

Yes, although that was at least six weeks ago. I think the stylist wore a mask but no gloves. I wore neither nor was I asked to do so.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 10:09 PM

i went to Great Clips yesterday in Michigan and it was worst haircut ever. The minute she put the clippers to my head, i knew it would suck. I just knew it

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 10:20 PM

You seriously didn't have on a mask r19?

What stupid red state bullshit is that.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 10:21 PM

Yes. I went last Thursday and they don't allow anyone in the waiting area, you have to have an appointment, and you have to wear a mask.

A lot of them are self-employed and they need your business so go back if you can.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 10:26 PM

We do not have to wear maks over here. I went to my hairdresser. Not many people there of course because of the distancing. All the windows and doors were open(small place). I’m not ill and the staff was cleared in forehand too,

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 10:26 PM

The guy getting a haircut held a sign and ranted before he entered. The virus then thinks he's a protester and knows not to infect him.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 11:12 PM

I got my hair cut Saturday. I had to sign an insurance waiver. I was told to text them when I arrived, they met me at the door, gave me a mask, took my temperature, and had me use disinfectant on my hands. My stylist wore a mask, and a face shield. He did wash my hair, and blew it dry. The first haircut I had a couple of months ago, they didn’t wash or blow dry.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 11:22 PM

My hair was down past my ears and driving me nuts so I finally gave in and did a DIY buzzcut. I'm the kind of guy who looks like an escaped mental patient with a buzzcut - it looks terrible on me - but having long hair was just too much for me to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 1:20 AM

Yes, in my situation, I've been cutting my hair for decades. I also cut the extended family's hair so we're all covered and well so far.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 1:28 AM

I had longish hair when I was 19-21. Surfer dude look. Cut it short after college and always kept it short. So now at 53, while I am grateful to have a full head of thick hair with minimal gray so far, I was fucking shocked that it grew OUT instead of DOWN. Like BOZO the FUCKING CLOWN. The texture changed. It was always a little wavy but now it seems more curly. WTF?! Last had my hair cut in early February until I was able to get it cut in July.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 1:32 AM

I haven't had my hair cut since the end of February and now it's longer than it has been since the '70s. No salons open in the LA area (they were for a short time, but then got shut down again.) I'm thinking of shaving it all off.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 1:57 AM

I'm still cutting my own hair and getting better at it. It just takes practice but you get what you want.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 2:18 AM

Passed my barber's shop the other morning, taped to the inside of the front door were SIX pages of state regulations to be followed, among them were: appointments only; masks required and may not be removed; no shaves.

I've been cutting my hair since April or so, and will continue to do so since getting a haircut and beard trim now has been regulated to the point where I can't relax and enjoy it. Getting a haircut, trim, old man hair removal etc. always made me feel pampered, but I believe I wouldn't enjoy it now since we all have to be so careful about any personal interactions.

Getting more adept at doing it, finally realized it's better not to look in a mirror while using the clippers, since it just confuses me and I move my hand in the wrong direction. Obviously not the best that can be done, but then, that's why the good Lord gave us bandanas.

Finally attacked the eyebrows tonight. Just did a light trim, I was worried I'd go a bit too far.

I miss the camaraderie, the conversations, gossip, asking for advice, etc. It was one of my few male bonding experiences, and now even that has been put on hold. Curse you, corona!

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 3:08 AM

Don't tell anyone, but my barber is ignoring the shut-down orders. He had covered his windows with butcher paper, and keeps the lobby lights out and the door locked. You have to call to be let in -rather like an old-time speakeasy. All hush-hush and illegal. During the first wave I dutifully butchered my own hair every couple of weeks. Then things reopened and I went in for a "real" cut and found out that he'd been seeing clients every day. So when things shut back down again, I had a clandestine rendezvous.

It felt more sordid than a quickie Craigslist hookup!

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 3:18 AM

R32 that’s awesome but is he doing it safely with masks etc?

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 3:26 AM

Will do-rags become the next big fashion accessory? Or will people scream "cultural appropriation!"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 3:29 AM

"If you wear a mask while getting a haircut, how do they get around the band of the mask?"

Kind of amazing to me that the OP couldn't figure out this one on his own, as the rest of us did after thinking about it for three seconds or so.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 3:57 AM

Yes, R33, a mask and a condom.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 5:35 AM

San Diego here: I am getting my haircut tomorrow. My hair shop is closed so my barber (hairdresser, whatever) has set up shop in his private backyard. Takes place outdoors and both he and client wear a mask. No shampooing--just a haircut. I have gone 12 weeks without a haircut. I can't hold out any longer.

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 5:45 AM

I went the first time I could about a month and a half ago..no blow drying...it was the next county north as mine isn’t open for that. I have long hair and hadn’t cut it since 10-2019 as I travel half the year and have had many bad cuts!

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 5:55 AM

I’m going full Airedale

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 6:19 AM

R29, similar to what R32 said, I heard there are some 'underground barbers' and such in LA (or honestly, anywhere now) trying to maintain their business. Would you consider one of those, or just hold out?

Priss that I am, I like being 'pampered' so I'm still waiting in vain...

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 7:18 AM

I guess outdoor barbers and nail salons are legal in LA, but I haven't heard of any in my area.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 1:04 PM

I'm starting to get used to this mullet I'm sporting. My teenage self would be jealous since back then, Dad never would have allowed me to have long hair.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2020 1:34 PM

I’m going Bob Ross - hoped for David Hasselhoff, but it’s old, stiff, wiry airedale hair. I hope to frighten children.

I have discovered I Have to trim my nose hair regardless of the mask. The hair traps snot. I’m not a nose picker. Learned that this week.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2020 5:29 PM

So it looks like a lot of people on this thread are still apprehensive about getting a haircut and are either doing buzzcuts or holding growing their hair out like Crystal Gayle.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2020 7:46 PM

I'm giving myself and my cat a weave

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2020 7:47 PM

I'm not apprehensive about getting a haircut. San Francisco won't let the barbershops and salons open yet. When they do open, with whatever safety precautions are required, I'll be making an appointment as soon as I can get one.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 8:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!