Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why doesn't Queen Elizabeth want her own geriatric son, Prince Charles, to be king?

I've heard that's why she doesn't want to step aside at age 93. Charles seems priggish and boring, but definitely stable and capable of being a figurehead.

by Anonymousreply 154August 20, 2020 2:37 AM

Why didn't you post this on the other current thread about Charles becoming king?

It's been well established that the Queen's mother was aghast at Edward VIII's abdication, which she felt hastened the death of her husband, his successor George VI, and so she drilled into Elizabeth II's head she must never abdicate, and that she had sworn an oath before God at her coronation to reign for her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 6:52 AM

R1 is correct.

Thread closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 6:59 AM

Too bad. Things change. She should retire if she wants.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 7:00 AM

r3, she would say in response: Not if you were chosen by God both to reign and to live this long, and not if you swore an oath before God you would reign for your entire life.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 7:03 AM

Elizabeth is deeply loved by her subjects. Why in the world would she retire? She is what's holding the monarchy together.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 7:06 AM

She is known for her sense of duty and her devotion to a life of service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 7:08 AM

Nobody wants Charles to be king.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 7:11 AM

Get rid of these people already. Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 7:24 AM

I don't want to see that face on the money. Ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 7:32 AM

Brenda does want Chaz to be King but not today.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2020 7:39 AM

Because she is Queen. There is no reason for her to abdicate? Elizabeth the 1st didn't. And neither did Victoria

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 7:46 AM

Charles would be better than his mom. She does nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 7:51 AM

Like the Queen of Denmark, they both feel a duty to serve until their last breath, as they should considering the extremely privilege they have been given ALL their life by the taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2020 8:01 AM

Qe2 will serve the country better by stepping down. No one should be working after 85 max, taking into account the little she has to do.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2020 8:04 AM

HM is the niece of Edward VIII, later Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor. Thus witnessed first hand what abdication did to a nation and her family, in particular her father who was thrust into a role for which he was unsuited, and stress of which likely shortened his life.

As a young princess and later queen HM constantly was told and or heard that her uncle almost brought down the "family business". From moment Elizabeth became queen she dedicated her life ("no matter how long or short were her words IIRC") to service . That is what HM said, and it is what she intends to do.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 8:07 AM

Why the FUCK is DL obsessed with these people? I’d love it if Muriel would allow one thread only for the whole fucking family and issue a lifetime ban to anyone who starts another.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 8:21 AM

They are brf pr threads. They don't give a fuck about us mere mortals. They use this site and Lipstick Alley because of the view counts. We are just the plebs who piss them off when we don't agree with the pr group think. Shows how much the gay and black populus matters to them.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 8:27 AM

[quote] I’d love it if Muriel would allow one thread only for the whole fucking family and issue a lifetime ban to anyone who starts another.

And I'd love it if the International Space Station would fall right onto your house when you were in it, but that's not going to happen either.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 8:31 AM

[quote] Shows how much the gay and black populus matters to them.

This sentence shows how much the dictionary matters to you.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 8:39 AM

I never understood the bullshit that George VI was so stressed by his brother’s abdication that it shortened his life. He was the spare his whole life...so you’re telling me that as the years passed, and his older brother remained unmarried and childless, Georgewas so clueless, he had no idea there would be a good chance he might get the crown one day? How about when his 40-something brother married the 40-something woman (who was barren after two previous marriages)? Not one conscious moment of realization that he would be next in line? I see where the Windsors get their mental thickness.

And stress from what? He wasn’t a lawmaker, nor did he have any political power. He’s there as a figurehead. That “stress” did his alcoholic wife good, she lived past 100.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 8:40 AM

It was everything piled on that did it to George VI. Becoming (a reluctant) monarch, then WWII breaking out two years after coming to the throne. Like many George VI turned something that would ease stress, in this case heavy tobacco smoking. This more than likely lead to (or at least didn't help) the king developing lung cancer, arteriosclerosis and Buerger's disease among other aliments.

As for Prince Edward not having married and breeding children by age 40; there wasn't anything that unusual. Plenty of men from all ranks in society married that late and had children. Age was more of a concern when it came to brides, with something young and healthy likely a better choice for breeding purposes.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2020 9:12 AM

[quote] And I'd love it if the International Space Station would fall right onto your house when you were in it,

LOL, one can always count on a DLer for a sane and proportionate response.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2020 9:14 AM

Prince Charles is too liberal for the royal family. He wants to assimilate immigrants from the Commonwealth into British society. The royal family adamantly opposed this. QE is sticking around because she doesn’t trust Charles to rule the way she wants him to. It’s better to limit the number of years he could rule before passing on himself.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 9:48 AM

Need to see and hear more Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 10:22 AM

R23

You think Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge is any less liberal do you? We won't even start on Prince Harry.....

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 10:29 AM

r20 I don't know if you've heard. But the Windsors are not exactly the brightest people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 10:52 AM

The Brits would do well to downsize the monarchy no matter who is reigning. I think they could use the money.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 11:00 AM

Why does DL cares so much about these inbreds? I doubt there's that many conservative Brits on here

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 11:00 AM

R28, same reason the Greeks liked their mythology and people loved “Dynasty” or “Keeping Up With the Kardashians”.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 1:25 PM

It's an ugly job, but someone has to do it.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 2:56 PM

Queen Elizabeth secretly wants me to succeed her but that awful Kelly woman won't allow it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 3:49 PM

R29 Yeah, those are totally comparable things

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 5:06 PM

She's been Queen her entire adult life. It'd be hard to imagine life after that I'm sure. The whole loyalty and devoted to God thing sounds silly,

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 5:08 PM

What is all this crap about "serve until death". The woman hasn't done one noticeably valuable piece of work since WWII.

I don't give a crap WHO is the titular head of a second rate power in a declining world.

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 5:10 PM

R34 Life will not always go your way no matter how much you stomp your little feet,

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 5:15 PM

Due to the ‘religious’ aspect of the role this woman has an *actual* god complex. She is totally deluded about her place in the world as a result. And of course she is greedy. To paraphrase R6:

She is known for her sense of duty free and her devotion to a life of having servants!

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2020 5:26 PM

R36 Meghan fits that description more than Queen Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 5:32 PM

R37 no she doesn’t. I’m not so interested in the whole Meghan side of things but hasn’t she abandoned that life in order to make her own life with Harry? Away from servants and tax immunity? And I’m not defending her, purely by her proximity to Harry she will lead a life that will be made easier at a UK taxpayers expense however she has minimized that benefit in some way by their actions.

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2020 5:40 PM

Queen Elizabeth is not a dictator. She did not take over in a coup. Unfortunately for you, the majority of Brits like and respect her.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2020 5:51 PM

Do people not understand how being a queen or a king works? It’s a hereditary title. She’s not supposed to let go of it at some point.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2020 5:53 PM

R39 is that supposed to be a positive thing? That she’s not a dictator and didn’t stage a coup? Wow such a high bar for whoever succeeds.

Unfortunately for them the majority of the British (and around half of the northern Irish) people do seem to like her, it is impressive what a lifetime of pro-royal propaganda can achieve isn’t it.

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2020 6:15 PM

She is afraid his policies will turn the UK in the wrong direction.

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2020 6:17 PM

R42 bit late for that non?

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2020 6:21 PM

R41 I don't know if you're deliberately obtuse or just stupid. I didn't say that it was positive, I just said she's not there illegitimately or by force. The ones who decide whether she stays or goes, are fine with her. Since I'm not British, I don't care one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 6:23 PM

Whether or not there should be a queen is not her problem. She swore an oath and she's committed to carrying it out. Nobody would call her a shirker.

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 6:40 PM

R44 I presume your first sentence was aimed at yourself. The legitimacy of the position is certainly not without question, and her position as leader of the commonwealth (granted by hereditary succession) is certainly as a result of force. Or did India and the others become a member of the British empire voluntarily I can’t remember pls remind me.

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 6:44 PM

[R46] "Presume"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote]The woman hasn't done one noticeably valuable piece of work since WWII.

Bullshit, once I stepped in the mud and she made Diana clean my shoes.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote]Nobody wants Charles to be king.

You couldn't be MORE WRONG

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2020 7:04 PM

Meghan better pray that Charles doesn't die before his mother.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2020 7:06 PM

R47 ‘presume’ is not incorrect. I think you have mishandled the meme, it’s usually used to draw attention to incorrect choice of spelling of a certain word (‘they’re’ instead of ‘their’, for instance). You’re missing a ‘that’ from your R44 comment. “Oh, dear” indeed.

by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2020 7:11 PM

R51 Everything that you say is true and correct.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2020 7:14 PM

The only thing that caused George VI to die early was his alcoholism and four pack-a-day cigarette addiction. He had a lung removed which just hastened his demise. Cookie, the Queen Mother, always had a thing for Wallis, because when she was a deb, she wanted to marry Edward, but he wasn't interested in her, so she invented the stress story. The Queen Mother was not the nice old Scottish grandmother that most British believed she was...she was a vindictive, snobbish, alcoholic, old cunt, who never progressed past the 1940s in terms of her sense of entitlement and her spending.

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2020 7:15 PM

Slightly off topic: if U.K. currency features the likeness of its current reigning monarch, does it recall any currency with the old one?

by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote]The Queen Mother was not the nice old Scottish grandmother that most British believed she was...she was a vindictive, snobbish, alcoholic, old cunt, who never progressed past the 1940s in terms of her sense of entitlement and her spending.

She used to frequent pool halls and play snooker and if she lost, she'd make a cosh out of the snooker balls and well...let's just say she wasn't a good loser. But she usually won, so it's mostly OK.

She was more like Andy Capp's wife Flo.

by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2020 11:17 PM

Charles is an alcoholic twit who carts his bedroom furniture around with him during long stays in his friends' stately mansions.

HM will hang on until the last second with a view to cutting Charles' reign as short as possible

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote] Or did India and the others become a member of the British empire voluntarily I can’t remember pls remind me.

Voluntarily.

Moreover, not so long ago the Commonwealth countries voluntarily agreed to make Charles when he becomes king the new head of the Commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 1:30 AM

QE2 is anointed by God. She cannot step down or abdicate unless she is mortally ill or otherwise. She doesn't have a job like the rest of us that she can retire from when she's tired. Thank god she takes this seriously, an example to us all.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 2:20 AM

Otherwise includes inability to reign for reasons related to advanced age. Like hers

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 2:29 AM

Monarchs are able to abdicate by choice, right?

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2020 3:03 AM

R57 the deaths of 800,000 Indian nationals in the rebellion in 1857 against the British crown wouldn’t qualify as voluntary to me. The violence of the British empire is not up for debate.

R58 ‘anointed by god’? You can’t be this stupid. She’s an example to unqualified power-grabbing anti-democratic geriatrics everywhere, so DJT is a student I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2020 3:33 AM

[QUOTE] I don't know if you're (R41) deliberately obtuse or just stupid.

R44, I'd say both.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2020 4:59 AM

r58 is correct, that she was made queen by God’s will, so it’s not something to be tossed aside on a whim. She’s obligated to remain queen until the time of God’s choosing.

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2020 4:26 PM

^^^FFS

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 4:32 PM

All those putrid Royal people should be forced to live the rest of their lives in a Kolkata slum.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 4:43 PM

Meghan, why are you so bitter? Didn't you get what you wanted?

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 4:52 PM

[quote] Not if you were chosen by God both to reign and to live this long,

How embarrassing that you believe this shit. Where do you fraus come from?

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 4:57 PM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 5:05 PM

R54, Coins remains in circulation. I remember George VI coins when I was a child. I’m 54 . He died 14 years before I was born.

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 5:10 PM

Coins REMAIN in circulation!

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 5:23 PM

[quote]she was a vindictive, snobbish, alcoholic, old cunt, who never progressed past the 1940s in terms of her sense of entitlement and her spending.

Yeah the British spent like freaks from 1939 to 1945, even selling rights to their colonies.

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 5:41 PM

Don't forget she is also head of the Church of England which means she's like the pope.

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 5:42 PM

She doesn't want Charles to be king because of that hag he's married to.

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 6:04 PM

R72, she is the Supreme Governor, a symbolic position. She doesn’t have a position of religious authority. That is for ordained clergy.

by Anonymousreply 74August 4, 2020 8:03 PM

This entitled, over privileged, thieving family needs to be taken down and stripped of all their ill gotten wealth.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2020 8:09 PM

It won't be long now, gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2020 8:12 PM

Lots of gross Commies on here hating the Royal family. What a dreary world it would be with no royalty in it.

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2020 8:36 PM

Gosh, r77, whatever would we do if we didn't have the Royal Family? We wouldn't have Hollywood, politicians, High Society, businessmen like Richard Branson, people on the Internet, etc. Whom would we look up to and emulate?

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2020 8:45 PM

While she is Queen no one will be lopping off her head, Charles gets in power who knows what would happen.

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2020 8:55 PM

She's 94.

by Anonymousreply 80August 4, 2020 8:59 PM

R46, India did not become a member of the British Empire voluntarily, but it did become a member of the Commonwealth voluntarily when it gained independence and became a Republic. Unlike other countries which opted to break all links, the first independent governments decided that they wanted to retain those links, but as a fully independent state.

It was the first republic to become a member of the Commonwealth, although there are now many more, including Commonwealth members which were never British imperial possessions.

by Anonymousreply 81August 4, 2020 9:04 PM

[quote]he is the Supreme Governor, a symbolic position. She doesn’t have a position of religious authority. That is for ordained clergy.

She just doesn't use her position. Just like she has many political powers she doesn't use.

by Anonymousreply 82August 4, 2020 9:12 PM

R82, which political powers does the Queen have?

by Anonymousreply 83August 4, 2020 9:14 PM

That's a long explanation, R83. It would take a book to reveal all of the details. Britain's constitution is not a written document, rules are codified when they become widely used and accepted as official. It's an evolutionary process. Same goes with the monarchy. Henry the Eighth could order someone to be beheaded. I don't think QE has that right. That could have been a decision reached by Parliament. Everything the monarchy can do changes over time, the key is "does the Parliament of Britain and its people accept them as law."

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2020 1:28 AM

No, we don’t go in for beheading much any more, that’s true. I’m just wondering what the “many political powers are” that r82 mentioned.

I’m just wondering what powers she really has. I’m British, and I don’t know of many political powers she has any more. She no longer really dissolves parliament and calls a General Election, not since the passing of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act which gave that power to the Commons. She could refuse to sign the document, but that would put the Crown and Commons on a collision course which could only be resolved by parliament deposing her (which it can do at any time)l In theory, she can dismiss a Prime Minister, but only after they have lost a vote of confidence in the Commons, so that power is ultimately in the hands of MPs.

She has some rights to swans and sea life, but not much more than that!

by Anonymousreply 85August 5, 2020 1:46 AM

This thread is approaching levels of intellectualism usually only observed on the daily mail comment section.

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2020 2:12 AM

R81 exactly, without forceful intervention Índia would not be a member of the commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2020 2:15 AM

The point is not that there is a God and He really does expect the Queen to reign for her entire life; the point is that she's a deeply religious woman, and she BELIEVES He exists and that He wants her to do that.

by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2020 2:18 AM

The monarch has the power to give all titles and dignities, and to take all titles and dignities away. That was a nasty surprise for the Duke and Duchess of Windsor (they expected she would be given the HRH designation when they married, and George VI and then Elizabeth did not allow it out of spite). It also was apparently a bit of a nasty surprise for Harry and Meghan when they were told they could not use the HRH style if they moved abroad.

The monarch also has the right to be regularly consulted by the prime minister about all Parliamentary action, and to suggest things to, and warn, the prime minister.

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2020 2:22 AM

R89 wowowowowow how effective. It’s like the episode of Family Guy when they all get superpowers and Meg’s is that she has the power to grow her fingernails slightly faster than normal.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2020 2:29 AM

She deeply loved her dad, who was temperamentally unsuited to a job he felt duty-bound to perform when his brother gave up. George stammered, had very little education or intellectual curiosity, had various phobias and was prone to rages and panic attacks, and yet Elizabeth saw how hard he tried to do his duty in the most dangerous crisis of the 20th Century.

Her admiration and loyalty to George, and her sense of duty would make it barely credible that she would ever, under any circumstances, legitimate Edward’s action by herself abdicating.

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2020 2:30 AM

yeah, she clearly thinks abdication cheapens the whole thing, and I suspect she's right. It just makes it another job, which you retire from when you are old. That's not what it should be in her mind, and I suspect she is right. I think she worries about the clear weaknesses of Charles, who just ain't very likeable, but I think she is fine with the heir being the heir, and that is that. but abdication, like some kind of retirement, no, she never will.

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2020 2:34 AM

She wikll not abdicate, but what she may do, and what has already been discussed at the Palace at some length, is she may step down from active duty if she no longer feels up to it and have Charles reign in her place as Prince Regent, just as the future George IV did from 1810-20 during his father George III's final madness. I expect that to happen within the next 2-3 years.

by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2020 2:40 AM

R91 George stammered? Did he really? Omg such insights.

R92 the whole thing is the cheapest shit I’ve ever come across. Have you seen Buckingham palace? Tacky tacky tacky. Nepotism at its trashiest.

by Anonymousreply 94August 5, 2020 2:41 AM

I don't think she'll do Prince Regent, in any official way, but gradually let him assume more and more duties. And honestly, she should, as should Victoria have done. Don't be a stubborn old bitch about the thing. Let the younger (well, it's starting to seem silly, but he IS younger) heir take over some duties. Don't cling to silly things just because you can. But I don't think she'll let some kind of official Prince Regent thing happen.

by Anonymousreply 95August 5, 2020 2:43 AM

Thank you so much for your comments r94. It’s wonderful to have critiques from a scholar with your grasp of history.

by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2020 2:50 AM

r95, if she becomes senile, she may not have the choice.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2020 2:52 AM

R96 pas de probleme bb. Onwards and upwards as they say. To a more enlightened tomorrow. I could go on?

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2020 2:55 AM

To a more enlightened tomorrow r98? Well, I suppose it’s nice that you haven’t lost faith in yourself yet.

by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2020 2:59 AM

R95 I'm pretty sure that's already unofficially already happening. Charles is at the very least, advised or clued in on all the Monarch duties, etc.

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2020 5:14 AM

It has been happening for some time and handled so well that many haven’t noticed it.

HM no longer travels internationally. Those trips are now covered largely by the PoW and his son ( was “sons”) and wife.

Investitures which were always done by HM are now also shared with the PoW, Duke of Cambridge and the Princess Royal.

Covid changed a lot with her isolation at Windsor Castle but over the past ten years her weekends at Windsor have extended to longer weekends (thinking Thursday to Tuesday) with less time spent at Buckingham Palace.

Good for her! I’m a republican living in one of her realms but I have massive respect for her for a life’s work largely well done. She deserves a chance to dial it back at 94. One day, hopefully, my country will decide to become a republic but it would be great if we stayed in the Commonwealth, as many former realms have done.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2020 5:45 AM

Why do people keep comparing Edward VIII’s abdication, so he could be in some weird S&M relationship with an ugly American, with an abdication by Elizabeth II who is one million years old?

It simply isn’t done!

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2020 5:53 AM

The public likes young people. If Wills can stop feeling sorry for his sad lot in life, and dedicate himself to public service, he could do the job. And Charles could be Chief Advisor, [italic] if he must. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] Henry the Eighth could order someone to be beheaded.

He wasn’t an absolute monarch. Beheadings only happened as a result of legal process and not directly on the monarch’s whim. For example, evidence had to be found/created and Anne found guilty of treason and other offenses first for it to happen.

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2020 4:44 PM

She didn’t want that horse face whore Camilla to go through her panty drawer.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2020 4:54 PM

She didn’t want that horse face whore Camilla to go through her panty drawer.

by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2020 4:54 PM

It's true, Charles has taken over a lot of the duties of the Queen's and he has also taken on quite a bit of the decision-making behind closed doors.

The Queen passes things on to Charles and his decisions hold. She influences them, he'd have tossed Andrew out the back door years ago if not for the Queen's intervention on Andrew's behalf. As it turned out, she should have listened to Charles on that but she's blind when it comes to her favorite, Andrew.

The Queen will always support Harry. Charles will always support Harry. Will William always support Harry? That remains to be seen. Probably he will, but if Harry's advisors are smart they will get a decent settlement in January when they "review" how their first year of "freedom" has gone.

He's got half of Diana's money. He's got some of the Queen Mum's money. I don't know if anyone else left him anything but there are assorted other Royal Family trusts here and there. I'm sure the Queen and Philip will leave him something more. He's never going to go begging.

by Anonymousreply 107August 11, 2020 4:01 AM

That mole-faced old bat will cling to the throne till her last breath.

She has no other identity.

by Anonymousreply 108August 11, 2020 6:08 AM

With all due respect, R108, when one is Head of State, Head of the Commonwealth and Supreme Governor of the Church of England among many other styles and titles, since 1952, one has plenty of identity.

It’s not as though she’s a cashier.

Like you.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

by Anonymousreply 109August 11, 2020 6:47 AM

Even though I think the monarchy is silly (American here), I think QE has done a good job at not ever embarrassing herself. The only time she fell into disfavor was when Diana died. In retrospect, Diana seemed very high-maintenance.

Also, some older people just have a really, really hard time letting go of their work identities.

Charles believes (and talks about) flakey stuff. The less of him the better; that's probably QE's thinking. Now, though, with all the shocking bad revelations about Andrew, Charles seems like a knight in shining armor. The British people may feel like they dodged a bullet getting Charles instead of Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 110August 11, 2020 6:52 AM

By the time the Queen dies Charles will have spent more than 80 years in the Young Royals Program. Who else in the history of the world has gotten a job promotion at 80? At his coronation if he had any sense of self awareness he'd be mortified. But he doesn't so he'll look like an idiot far older than the clergy that will perform the ceremony. Without his mother he would have been lucky to get a department supervisor position in Mark and Spencers.

by Anonymousreply 111August 11, 2020 7:19 AM

R111 It just burns you up that he'll be king and not dumb Harry, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 112August 11, 2020 11:08 AM

R112 Over invested aren't you.

by Anonymousreply 113August 11, 2020 11:19 AM

Have you ever seen a Court Circular of Royal engagements?

HM Queen works for little more than 3 months a year.

She leaves for Sandringham shortly before Christmas and doesn't return until February (after the anniversary of her Father's death.

When she's at Buckingham Palace she arrives late Tuesday and leaves after lunch on Thursday.

Just before Easter she completely decamps to Windsor Castle for a month (Easter Court)

At the end of July she leaves for Balmoral and has a vacation that lasts until September.

She isn't exactly scrubbing floors during her 'On Times' and she no longer undertakes engagements abroad.

by Anonymousreply 114August 11, 2020 11:36 AM

She's 94 and has been queen since she was 25. How many 94-year-olds do you know who work at all?

by Anonymousreply 115August 11, 2020 11:47 AM

[QUOTE] She is afraid his policies will turn the UK in the wrong direction.

Constitutional monarchs do not set policies, they can only follow policies set forth by their governments. They’re figureheads.

by Anonymousreply 116August 11, 2020 11:50 AM

regarding the Queen being an anointed monarch, don’t forget that Pope Benedict was an anointed absolute monarch yet he abdicated for health reasons.

by Anonymousreply 117August 11, 2020 11:52 AM

Benedict Abdicated because he was implicated in almost every Sex and Corruption Scandal in The Catholic Church. He's still healthily living in the Vatican City with his 'Companion'.

by Anonymousreply 118August 11, 2020 11:58 AM

nonetheless, he was anointed by God.

by Anonymousreply 119August 11, 2020 11:59 AM

Some abdicate, some don't. It's not up to you.

by Anonymousreply 120August 11, 2020 12:04 PM

R2 is right. Her Majesty knows real expertise when she sees it, and she knows a hopeless rabble when she sees it, ergo she's holding on till I can take over.

by Anonymousreply 121August 11, 2020 12:06 PM

We have never had a discussion on this! We should do it more often!

by Anonymousreply 122August 11, 2020 12:08 PM

Sex and Corruption - Kim Cattrall will not sign on.

by Anonymousreply 123August 11, 2020 12:19 PM

^^Thank goodness!

by Anonymousreply 124August 11, 2020 12:27 PM

R121, I would love it if Charlotte could take the throne. Just looking at her, you can tell she has a strong personality (in a good way). Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 125August 11, 2020 5:49 PM

R125 Unfortunately that would almost certainly involve killing Prince George at a fairly young age. The Succession is fixed in stone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 11, 2020 8:03 PM

R119 you’re doing that thing again where you’re acting like god objectively exists.

by Anonymousreply 127August 12, 2020 6:39 AM

If the pope was anointed by God, logically, He would have to objectively exist.

by Anonymousreply 128August 12, 2020 6:56 AM

I could see Princess Charlotte arranging that, R126.

by Anonymousreply 129August 12, 2020 12:33 PM

Because the monarchy passes at time of death- duh

by Anonymousreply 130August 12, 2020 12:37 PM

But the pope is not anointed by god objectively, it depends on supposition, therefore your ‘logical implication’ doesn’t hold up. As I said before, you can’t make these kind of silly statements assuming the existence of a god on these kind of forums.

by Anonymousreply 131August 12, 2020 4:19 PM

Similarly, Muriel is not anointed by god objectively, it depends on supposition...

by Anonymousreply 132August 12, 2020 7:25 PM

Royals don't have to arrange such things, R129. They just have to say, "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" and lo and behold, Sweeney Todd wannabes appear all over.

Alternatively, she could marry Prince Oskar, bring him up to Balmoral for the hols and just let things take their course.

by Anonymousreply 133August 12, 2020 11:45 PM

Prince Oskar is gay as a goose

by Anonymousreply 134August 13, 2020 12:03 AM

I had the interesting experience of working as assistant to one of the editors (yes, there are more than one) of the recent HQ release "Finding Freedom". I thought you guys - especially the Crown sympathizers - might like to know that while the British Royal Family does occasionally come across rather poorly in the book, there were also definitely bits that, while verified to be true by numerous sources, were in the end kept from the finished draft. This was done mostly at the behest of one of our senior editors, who in addition to being quite old is also conservative.

For instance, it was left out that one of the main reasons Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left the U.K. is the noxious stench that fires from QEII's practically decomposing cunt. There is absolutely no way to remove it (the smell) from any room she's entered. This is one reason Miss Markle wanted to use air fresheners in St. George's Chapel at Windsor the day of her wedding. The Prince had warned Markle what it was like to live with this fetid, all-pervading stink but she had no idea it could be so bad. Ultimately, she felt it was best to raise her child away from the toxic reek, which court doctors still do not understand.

Anyway, ask me any questions if you like. My contract with the publisher's up.

by Anonymousreply 135August 13, 2020 12:24 AM

William doesn't want the job, ever. Charles wants it because he's spent his whole life preparing for it.

If there was any discussion of William not wanting the job, it would be an insult to his dad, but more importantly to his grandmother who has really devoted her entire life to the Monarchy and the people of England/UK. Charles did too, but he was selfish. He was human. He harmed the Monarchy as much as he's helped it

by Anonymousreply 136August 13, 2020 1:15 AM

[quote] The Succession is fixed in stone.

It is not "fixed in stone." Parliament changed the rule of male preference for primogeniture under the Succession of the Crown Act of 2013. Had the old rules been fixed in stone, Charlotte would now be fifth in the line of succession and her little brother Louis would be fourth; but the Act reversed their positions.

by Anonymousreply 137August 13, 2020 1:43 AM

It’s true that Parliament, through God’s will, establishes the succession He ordains.

by Anonymousreply 138August 13, 2020 1:51 AM

Any one thinking that The Queen is running the show is foolish, its Charles 'silent' regency these days.

by Anonymousreply 139August 13, 2020 2:11 AM

Charles needs to do something about the covid-19 situation.

by Anonymousreply 140August 13, 2020 3:03 AM

Why should she step aside? Kings never stepped aside for their sons to take over.

by Anonymousreply 141August 13, 2020 3:34 AM

Can you imagine QE1 stepping aside? Pish tosh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 13, 2020 4:45 AM

R120 There is been only one abdication in a little over 1000 years

by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2020 5:12 AM

Abdication smabdication: The Queen has Sun in stubborn Taurus, Moon in imperious Leo and Rising sign in workaholic Capricorn...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 13, 2020 5:26 AM

Look, there's at least 100 in line of succession. Let them all abdicate until someone wants the job. I mean, who really cares? Basically you just need to wave and nod.

by Anonymousreply 145August 13, 2020 8:20 AM

R143 There has been more than one abdication over the past 1000 years, but most of them were forced.

Edward II, Richard II and James II, If I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 146August 14, 2020 1:02 AM

Only four of them need to abdicate to get to that point, R145.

by Anonymousreply 147August 18, 2020 2:07 PM

Harry better have sent that list of jewels I want from that old bat when she finally kicks it - or else!

by Anonymousreply 148August 18, 2020 2:40 PM

Yes - a lot of those jewels were bought for a pittance from Russian émigrées fleeing the Revolution with nothing. Queen Mary pressured them into selling for tuppence on the pound.

Classy.

by Anonymousreply 149August 18, 2020 5:41 PM

R16, just block them. Anytime a Harry and Meghan thread comes up, I just block the poster. It's easy.

by Anonymousreply 150August 18, 2020 5:51 PM

Does Charles wanna be a king? He still not that old and can still rule maybe 20 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 151August 18, 2020 6:13 PM

Of course the lame, cheating crybaby wants to be king. What else would his life be about?

by Anonymousreply 152August 18, 2020 6:15 PM

He's spent more than 70 years practicing so it would be a pity if his mother outlived him. The extreme ruddiness and bloating are not good signs.

by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2020 10:58 PM

R118, more details about the ex-Pope's companion and scandals, please!!

by Anonymousreply 154August 20, 2020 2:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!