Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbara Rush

What are the thoughts of the Datalounge on this lovely actress?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2020 11:48 PM

Why should I waste my beautiful mind watching any of her films?

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 9:58 PM

She's not Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 9:59 PM

She was on a particularly good Bionic Woman rerun the other day.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 10:00 PM

Still with us at 90+ years old!

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 10:01 PM

Look Ann Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 10:01 PM

Barbara Rush Discusses Being Quarantined During COVID-19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 10:12 PM

Loved her camp in It Came From Outer Space 🚀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 10:14 PM

Saw her in Boston in a tour of Forty Carets almost fifty years ago while a Boston College student.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 10:17 PM

Lovely. Her eyebrows in the OP picture are exquisite! Not so much in the jpg at R7.

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2020 10:19 PM

Thank you R6! That was great! What an amazing lady!

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2020 10:20 PM

Article from last year about Justin Bieber moving in next door to her and other stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2020 10:20 PM

Gotta love that old broad for putting up with Bieber

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 10:23 PM

Barbara Rush: Smug contestant on TV's Password in the 1960s (saw a rerun). She acted like her shit didn't stink. Sure, if you're Bette Davis, but from a B movie and TV actress? HA!

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2020 10:27 PM

I'd take Barbara Rush over Betty Davis any day.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2020 10:35 PM

She always came off well in interviews about the old studio days. She's intelligent with a good sense of humor about herself and other actors. I saw her once being interviewed with Mickey Rooney by Larry King.

Larry King: Was Cary Grant gay?

Rooney: Absolutely not. He was about as gay as -- my left foot!

Barbara: Your left foot must be pretty gay, Mickey.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2020 10:36 PM

#4. She looks great in that video. 93! Nice home too.

She played Tad's mother when he was Ted Orsini on AMC and was very good. Always an elegant actress.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2020 10:37 PM

R15, that's hilarious. She sounds a lot cooler than Mickey.

BTW, she co-starred with Rock Hudson and had nice things to say about him

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2020 10:41 PM

Saw her in steel magnolias, she was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 10:43 PM

She was no Dorothy Malone.

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 10:44 PM

Oh Tippy, isn't everything going well in Connecticut?

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 10:46 PM

This was 10 years ago - I watched this whole thing a while ago. It was a screening of The Young Philadelphians that apparently was a cut version. The moderator doesn't show up and she takes over and handles the q&a session herself. Not a diva at all. She seems like a totally cool lady. She was (is?) a good actress, I remember her from some 50's sci-fi movies on TV when I was a kid. She was very good in Strangers When We Meet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 10:50 PM

This was 10 years ago - I watched this whole thing a while ago. It was a screening of The Young Philadelphians that apparently was a cut version. The moderator doesn't show up and she takes over and handles the q&a session herself. Not a diva at all. She seems like a totally cool lady. She was (is?) a good actress, I remember her from some 50's sci-fi movies on TV when I was a kid. She was very good in Strangers When We Meet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 10:50 PM

When I was an undergrad at Northwestern she was touring in 50 Carats. She volunteered to come to the campus in Evanston and do a lunchtime q and a with students (the actor playing her young lover came with her). When the session began, she asked what we would like to know about her life in the business. Crickets—it was embarrassing—I suspect 18-22 year old in 1977 didn’t know who she was. She got miffed and the session was cut short. In retrospect I don’t blame her—the faculty should have planted some questions and we could have tried harder.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2020 12:21 AM

Miss Rush was a beautiful, elegant and ladylike presence in every one of the many B- and made-for-TV movies in which she appeared. She was quite good at portraying beautiful, elegant and ladylike women in the throes of various emotions. I don't say that as a slight - she was quite a good actress. No one did a better job at portraying a beautiful, loving wife and mother ... or a scheming woman who wished to be seen as such.

IRL, she seems to be a good-humored, nice person.

On the other hand, she did not seem at all sexy on screen. That may not have been true in real life, but on TV she was not a passionate or highly sexed woman for whom men would be overwhelmed with lust. She was the wife who was left for the sexy secretary, not the other way 'round.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2020 12:38 AM

Was she the matriarch in Flamingo Road? I thought her character was pretty bland. They tried hard not to maker a Miss Ellie character but didn't find anything good for her to do then. I think they made her an alcoholic if I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2020 12:47 AM

r23 I would suspect it would have more to do with being at a midwestern college than anything. If Ms. Rush has been at an Ivy League school in the east or one of the schools with a better arts program out west I'm sure she would have been better received by the the student body. I mean, Northwestern??? I'm surprised they even have a drama department.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2020 1:32 AM

Isn't the drama department at Northwestern pretty respected?

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 1:34 AM

R27 when I think theater I think of the coasts, I certainly don't think of land locked Chicago. But that's just me. I mean, I would want to go somewhere with exposure, networking and opportunities. California or the East Coast would be more my first thoughts than the midwest. I wouldn't take cooking lessons at an auto mechanics school.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 1:51 AM

Well, Northwestern is a pretty prestigious school, it's hardly the joke you're making it out to be. Sometimes the snobbism here is really hard to take.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 2:02 AM

r29 it's hardly Ivy League hon. I mean, it is admittedly a nice school but it is a typical midwestern college.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 2:06 AM

R30 is just seeing if I’ll rise to take his bait. Northwestern is adjacent to Chicago, which then and now, is second only to NYC in terms of theatrical creativity (certainly has more going on thanLA). It has Tony winners on the faculty, and a number of Oscar and Emmy winners among alums. The university is itself in the top 10-15 national universities in the USNWR rankings.

So, either 30 is being nasty or is just parochial. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 2:16 AM

She got to fuck Jeffrey Hunter in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 2:22 AM

Northwestern was good enough for Miss Ann-Margret, it's good enough for me!

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 7:14 PM

Wasn't Jeffrey Hunter a bisexualist?

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 7:15 PM

Neither Northwestern nor the city of Chicago is landlocked. Can someone tell the class why that is?

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 3:01 AM

Guiding Light approached her in late 1992/early 1993 about temporarily playing the role of Alexandra Spaudling while they looked for someone to permanently take over the role after Beverlee McKinsey abruptly departed in Aug. 1992.

Rush revealed that in a Soap Digest interview (or maybe Soap Weekly) while she was playing the short term role of Nola Orsini on All My Children in early 1993.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 5:20 AM

“Claaauuude.”

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 5:43 AM

She looks fairly healthy for her age.I think she may well be with us a little while yet.

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2020 4:45 PM

Nancy Reagan House of Beauty. Spindly white women who gave up their vaginas (but not their mouths or butts!) for the sake of the marriage, but please don't muss-up my perm.

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2020 5:02 PM

Babs has got some stories, no doubt. Someone get her on tape!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2020 5:31 PM

Barbara knew where the find the boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2020 5:38 PM

I think R23’s story gives us an opportunity to nominate Barbara for the open position of DL’s grande dame. Heading over to the nom thread now.

by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2020 5:39 PM

R35 you ignorant slut. Landlocked doesn't apply to lakes -- it applies only to oceans.

Typical Northwestern grad.

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2020 5:41 PM

Her daughter, Claudia Cowan, was a West Coast correspondent for Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2020 5:49 PM

Jeffrey Hunter was one of the most beautiful men in Hollywood. The children he had with Barbara must be gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2020 5:57 PM

r41 Who is that handsome chap with Barbara Rush in that photo?

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2020 6:28 PM

Jeffrey Hunter died from a fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2020 6:40 PM

R41, you don’t recognize Mark Harmon?!

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2020 6:43 PM

I met her many years ago. Hate to disillusion anyone, but what R13 observed on TV is spot on for how she is in person. She has a diva attitude of a star far bigger than she is. She did look great, however, and still does even at 93.

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2020 6:48 PM

No r48 ! But I like very much!

by Anonymousreply 50August 8, 2020 8:45 PM

her niece is Diane Miller on General Hospital, the savvy sharp attorney.

by Anonymousreply 51August 8, 2020 11:47 PM

She would have had to keep any diva attitudes to herself on Flamingo Road. Co-stars like Kevin McCarthy, Stella Stevens, Morgan Fairchild, and Howard Duff wouldn't have taken it from her and would have cut her down to size quickly.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2020 12:20 AM

I remember her from an episode of "Maude" - Season 1, Episode 11

Maude reunites with an old high school friend, Phyllis "Bunny" Nash (Barbara Rush), who was not a beauty when Maude knew her. She is horrified to learn that Ms. Nash is now a very attractive, single career woman, and it makes Maude resentful of her own position in life, especially when she bonds with Carol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2020 2:03 AM

R43 thank you!!! Since when did Chicago become second to New York in talent?? Are you kidding me?

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2020 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!