Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Films in the Criterion Collection that shouldn't be there

Though it is mostly considered a paragon of high-quality films, there are definitely some glaring head-scratchers scattered throughout. I know it was one of their very early DVD releases, but "Armageddon" is still a baffling entry to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 12:45 AM

I think the Criterion Collection changed their "raison d'etre" after their first few batches of DVD releases. In the same period they also released The Rock, Robocop, etc. on DVD. I'm sure it also made them a lot of money.

This reminds me that I still need to see Equinox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 9:45 PM

Robocop

The Rock

Dazed and Confused

The Darjeeling Limited

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 9:47 PM

R1 I actually own their DVD edition of "Equinox" and can understand why they released it from a merely historical perspective—Criterion also includes "important" films in their collection, and there is an argument to be made along those lines for "Equinox" and its use of stop-motion and animation. It also laid the groundwork for Sam Raimi's "The Evil Dead." It's not a great film, but it does have historical relevance.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 9:49 PM

Before Sunset

Bull Durham

Election

The Fisher King

Frances Ha

The Game

Inside Llewyn Davis

Jellyfish Eyes

Police Story 1 + 2

Schizopolis

Slacker

The Prince of Tides

Tiny Furniture

And most of John Cassavetes movies!

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 10:47 PM

How dare you say The Prince of Tides!

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 10:49 PM

Op must hate America!

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 10:50 PM

A Marriage Story. It's like they just don't care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 12:26 AM

Bull Durham is a great film.

Personally, I love Prince of Tides and having Criterion do it means that it looks great. It probably wouldn't have been as good if Sony did it. Criterion's transfers are usually worth the extra $$.

Election was one of the most critically acclaimed films of the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 12:30 AM

R3 I wasn't actually shading Criterion for releasing Equinox. This thread literally reminded me to watch it!!

I think Cassavetes films make perfect sense for the Criterion, R4. What's your problem with them?

Personally, I can't begrudge Criterion for putting out questionable releases. They need the money from a lot of those releases to put out their most unique films.

I used to buy a lot more Criterion releases, but with the Criterion Channel I don't buy that many anymore. I'm waiting to buy the Agnes Varda collection in the next B&N sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 12:37 AM

While Criterion is probably one of the most famous - perhaps the most famous - Blu-ray/DVD boutique labels, they are still in a competitive market. Labels like Scream/Shout, Scorpion, Kino Lorber, Arrow, Indicator, etc. are giving them a run for their money.

Arrow's releases lately have been outstanding. The An American Werewolf in London and Elvira Mistress of the Dark releases are two of my favourite Blu-rays in my entire collection. The transfers look fantastic, tons of bonus material, beautiful packaging. Scream just announced its Friday the 13th set which will no doubt sell out and while KL is skimpy with its bonus features, it does a good job of reissuing harder to find titles. Recently they reissued Isadora with Vanessa Redgrave.

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!