Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marlene Dietrich—overrated or underrated actress?

I was browsing on a film forum recently and read a post by someone who, after having viewed all of the films in the Criterion Collection's "Dietrich & von Sternberg" set, was surprised by "how limited of an actress" Dietrich was. The von Sternberg films she starred in are the ones I am most familiar with, but I never thought she was any more limited than most actresses of the period—she was dazzling onscreen, and her performances in those films always registered as strong but understated to me. What do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2020 10:07 AM

She was limited, but....she was a Star. She was magical on screen and on stage. Granted the magic was carefully manufactured and total artifice, but she just really knew how to work it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 7:10 PM

She was more of a personality than a good actress. And her persona was so camp. Same with Garbo. To me anyway. Never got the allure of either one. Though Garbo was better at expressing real emotions onscreen. Dietrich was all about image, shadows and lighting. Dietrich just posed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 7:10 PM

Damn you, r2!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 7:12 PM

I think she's often great fun to watch, especially when things are way over the top. It's her singing I find overrated: she was no Greta Keller.

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 7:12 PM

There was usually a mystery about her...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 7:17 PM

She was a fine comedian, which can be seen in "The Lady Is Willing." She was a fine dramatic actress, which can be seen all the way back in "The Blue Angel," and with a more Hollywood example (capable of being misread in its unevenness), "Shanghai Express."

Blaming an actress because she was fortunate to have brilliant directors and cinematography (von Sternberg was responsible for the "look" that people cite), because she looked amazing, and because she controlled her own presentation despite and after von Sternberg's work with her. "Blonde Venus" and "Morocco" remain enjoyable, whatever their camp value or how it overwhelms the movies (and even "Destry.")

But claiming she was not a good actress is absurd. Being limited is not being bad. Christ, these quarter-a-thread OPs who exist just to stimulate traffic or trolley are shits.

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 7:25 PM

Exactly, r6. She knew her limitations and stayed in her own lane.

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 7:29 PM

I thought she was great in Witness for the Prosecution and great fun in Touch of Evil.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 7:30 PM

Wayyyyyyyyy overrated as an actress, but the successful product of incredible marketing and image-setting.

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2020 7:49 PM

R4 Thank you for remembering Greta Keller.

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2020 7:58 PM

“Dietrich was all about image, shadows and lighting. Dietrich just posed a lot“

Marlene Dietrich was quoted saying: “The relationship between the make-up man and the film actor is that of accomplices in crime.”

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2020 8:04 PM

"Darling, the legs aren't so beautiful, I just know what to do with them."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 10:15 PM

She's great in JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG (61). She said she was playing her mother.

I like her better than Garbo, her ostensible rival in the early 30s.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2020 10:27 PM

She friggin' ripped off Bjork!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2020 10:42 PM

R13. I agree—she certainly deserved a nomination for that—more moving than Tracy and less hammy than Schell. A kind of Hecuba figure.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 12:26 AM

From Marlene Dietrich's ABC (which I used to have a copy of):

Greenland ("Should be called Iceland. See ICELAND.")

Iceland ("Should be called Greenland. See GREENLAND.")

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 1:06 AM

"She possesses the rarest of civilized virtues, irony."

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 1:12 AM

R17 What are you really trying to say Kenneth? Are you jealous that Dietrich wanted your friend, John Osborne, instead of you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 10:11 PM

I saw her in 1972. Magical. Granted it was all illusion and artifice, but isn't that what old-school Hollywood glamour was? She embodied it. My friend noticed that Ryan and Peter Bogdanovich were being seated so we went over and I got Ryan to sign my program. She didn't sign after the show, instead rushing into the limo accompanied by Ryan and Peter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2020 3:39 PM

Fun fact: I would be able to change my last name to Dietrich!

Then I could go abroad to America and whenever someone asked me how to spell my last name, I would just say: "Just like Marlene's!"

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2020 3:42 PM

She was approving of domestic abuse...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2020 6:08 PM

I'm surprised in her later career, people paid to come and hear her sing.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2020 6:31 PM

R22 She didn't really sing as much as spoke to music.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2020 6:35 PM

She saw what the boys in the back room will have.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2020 6:36 PM

Was she more into women or men?

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2020 6:49 PM

Her work in Judgement At Nuremberg is kind of brilliant actually. It is a nuanced, brave, and well thought out performance that still resonates today. The last scene closeup of her face, devoid of all expression as the phone rings and rings, is haunting and iconic for what it says about the “ good German” of that time. In these Trumpian times, I think of it often.

By that later stage in her career, Dietrich had developed into a very fine actress indeed.

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2020 7:05 PM

She was excellent in Nurmemberg, Witness For the Prosecustion and Hitchcock's Stage Fright.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2020 7:08 PM

[R13, R15]I posted my thoughts before I read the thread, so yes, I agree lol!

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2020 7:10 PM

Her daughter's book is one of the best biographies I've ever read. It's so rich in detail.

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2020 7:13 PM

She was lazy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2020 7:39 PM

I don't get what the big deal is about Garbo. Dietrich was much funnier, especially that ending to Touch of Evil.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2020 7:39 PM

R29 It really is.

And unlike Mommie Dearest, Maria's book sort of appreciates the whole person.

by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Gary was such a cutie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2020 8:30 PM

Gary was such a cutie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2020 8:30 PM

She vas a wamp and a hawidan.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2020 8:57 PM

Wanna kiss me, ducky?

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2020 9:17 PM

I like her but she was no Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2020 9:22 PM

I can't think of anyone who was, r37.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 9:25 PM

R31 We shouldn't compare Garbo and Dietrich. Both had a decade at the top and then Garbo discreetly retired.

Dietrich changed her career, did 'comedy' roles and semi-ghoulish cabaret appearances. She went on and on and on and lost her dignity in her last two decades.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 9:35 PM

Dietrich kept working because she needed the money. She supported her whole family. Garbo invested well during her Hollywood years and became quite wealthy, and also didn't have any family or husbands to support so she didn't need to work.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 9:53 PM

CINNAMON goes DIETRICH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2020 12:42 AM

Mmmmm, I'm not sure anyone really considered her an actress, per se... I mean, "acting" isn't what comes to mind when you think of her.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2020 1:33 AM

How about...a presence?

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2020 1:44 AM

Certainly. And she wore clothes amazingly well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2020 1:50 AM

I love it when her daughter Maria Riva talks about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2020 2:00 AM

THe von Sternberg movies were early in her career and were fetishistic art movies. She did what was required, fantastically. You can't judge her range based on those movies. Sheesh, I'm really surprised this must be explained to you.

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2020 2:21 AM

Stage Fright

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2020 2:25 AM

More Stage Fright

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2020 2:30 AM

And anyway, she is quite good in Devil is a Woman and Blonde Venus. There is range within those movies.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2020 2:38 AM

She always plays a woman who can't pronounce her "R"s.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2020 2:40 AM

^ At least she wasn't cwoss-eyed like Norma Sheawer.

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2020 2:54 AM

And *both* her sides were good, unlike...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2020 3:03 AM

^ Both equally as noseless.

As noseless as Jane Wyman.

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2020 3:16 AM

Von Sternberg embalmed her in glamour - there is an actress underneath. When she is asked to stretch - for example her disguised scene in "Witness for the Prosecution", she is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2020 3:28 AM

Funny story: lesbian I knew saw Dietrich's one-woman show on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne and waited at the stage door. She caught Dietrich's eye and Marlene gave her her card with her private number on it. Kitty, the lesbian, called Marlene the next morning waking her up. Dietrich had no recollection who this fan was and hung up on her.

by Anonymousreply 55August 8, 2020 4:39 AM

Was she more into women?

by Anonymousreply 56August 8, 2020 9:45 AM

Dietrich wasn't so much an actress as an indomitable presence. When she was on screen, there was nothing else of interest. Even as consummate an actor as Charles Laughton was a dim bulb beside her megawatt aura.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2020 10:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!