Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doctor Sleep- Which is better the released version or Directors Cut?

Finally going to catch this but I am curious if the Directors Cut is better..

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2022 12:38 AM

The Directors Cut always has more dong.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 6:00 PM

I haven't seen the director's cut but I enjoyed the shorter (which is still long!) version. It's pretty close to the book. The ending is terrible like 99% of all horror films. Watch the director's cut and report back!

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 6:06 PM

They made a lot of changes from the book that weren't really necessary. And yes, the ending was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 7:03 PM

I didn't read the book but loved the movie. I was a fan of the original book and movie but think this is better as a stand alone film. I was shocked how disturbingly good it was. Downloaded the orignal cut on Itunes. Is "DIrectors Cut" much different?

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 10:52 PM

Which version is on HBO?

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 10:54 PM

I'm down for more Rose the Hat scenes. Are there any extra ones in the director's cut?

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 10:55 PM

OMG Rebecca Ferguson stole the movie!

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 10:57 PM

The regular version, R5.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 10:57 PM

With respect, who did this Furgeson woman fuck to get her career?

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 6:59 AM

R9 I'm not sure about her in anything else other than this and Mission Impossible(s) but I've seen worse. Rose the Hat was a great part.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 6:13 PM

She was in White Queen on Starz. She played Elizabeth Woodville.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 6:43 PM

The Director's Cut had more of "The Shining" storyline including a cringey (cheesy) father-son reunion.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 6:52 PM

She also played Jennie Lind in THE GREATEST SHOWMAN.

I saw the Director's Cut on HBO On Demand. It was only available there for a short period.

I didn't read the book or see the film in a theater, so am not sure what is different, but I suspect that the murder scene of the Baseball Boy is longer here. That scene came very close to crossing a line.

This film has more in common with THE OUTSIDER than THE SHINING (the book or the film). Thought McGregor was rather dull as Dan and I didn't care for the young actress playing Abra. Ferguson was a highlight.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 7:03 PM

Why couldn’t it stay a ghost story like the original Shinning? The life force vampires BS sucked! Maybe the books were better, but I hated the Sleep movie with a passion. As a person who just watched the movies, it felt like such a departure to me.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 7:04 PM

Thought it was a much tighter movie than original. I always thought The Shining was a turgid mess.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2020 12:04 PM

It’s probably wrong of me to even comment, since I adore Kubrick’s “The Shining”. Now that I’m Old, the supernatural and monsters and gory splatter just doesn’t get to me.

I’m much more affected by pathological humans, like the ones in Michael Haneke’s movies. Recently I watched “The Killing of a Sacred Deer” and found it much creepier and frightening than “Doctor Sleep”. Except for the child murder in “Doctor Sleep”, it wasn’t the least bit disturbing.

So, to stay on topic, neither cut would be better, unless there was a more graphic child murder.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2020 1:32 PM

Ooh, a director’s cut. I’ll have to check it out. I liked Doctor Sleep- was pleasantly surprised by it.

I was not expecting the baseball kid scene. It really sounded like he was being tortured and murdered- I’ll fast forward through that part next time. (Mary? Probably...) That was unpleasant to watch. I know the kid is a good little actor, but damn, that’s gotta fuck with you. I hope they didn’t have to do too many takes.

I bought the book last year, maybe I’ll read it to find out the different ending.

Question- when Danny left the mother and baby in their apartment after sleeping with the mom, did the baby later die? I think he saw a vision of them covered in flies, but I’m not certain. If so, that was a shitty thing for Danny to leave the kid.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2020 1:49 PM

I don't know if my tastes are changing or if writing isn't what it used to be. But I found the book to be so underwhelming, I gave up after about 50 pages.

Recently I tried watching the director's cut on HBO On Demand, and I completely lost interest after about 20 minutes.

FWIW, I enjoyed The Shining - to varying degrees - in all of its forms: the novel, the Kubrick film, and the 2-part TV movie with Steven Webber.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2020 2:03 PM

Yes, I finally watched it. Worth it. The director also did some movie called "Ouija: Origin of Evil" which has a really high rating on RT. Did anyone see that? I'm tempted to rent it.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 12:56 AM

This movie is really underrated and deserved to be a bigger box office success.

by Anonymousreply 20March 26, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]I was not expecting the baseball kid scene. It really sounded like he was being tortured and murdered- I’ll fast forward through that part next time. (Mary? Probably...) That was unpleasant to watch. I know the kid is a good little actor, but damn, that’s gotta fuck with you. I hope they didn’t have to do too many takes.

Rebecca Ferguson said it was difficult for her to film that scene because she has a son the same age as the little boy, and he was so believable that she almost cried several times.

by Anonymousreply 21March 26, 2022 9:27 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of his projects, R19. I haven't liked them all equally but none are bad IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2022 9:32 PM

R19 my daughter & her friend love horror flicks and both really liked Ouija Origin of Evil they said it was good & scary

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2022 12:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!