Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump is tampering with the U.S. mail so nobody can vote his ass out.

Democracy is an endangered species in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2020 3:59 AM

Endangered? It’s been extinct for years.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 4:31 PM

The US was never a Democracy - if it were, the majority would've had their vote counted and Hillary would've become president.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 4:34 PM

Voting by mail is ludicrous. Go see how easy it is to register falsely. If anything Trump would be promoting it, because you could easily register a hundred times and vote that way.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 4:34 PM

R3? Registering and voting are two, different things. Why do you people keep repeating this very stupid line about "registering," when it doesn't actually translate into voting multiple times?

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 4:37 PM

And BTW, even if you could register and vote in all 50 states, how many fucking people do you think have time for such nonsense? You honestly think you could get thousands of people to go through the headache of registering and voting in all 50 states even if it were possible? The stupidity of you people who think like this...

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 4:39 PM

R3, in my state, you have to go online, provide the address at which you are registered to vote, and your DL or state ID#, just to request the APPLICATION for the mail in ballot. You then have to receive, complete, and return the application by October 27. Then you have to receive, complete and return the BALLOT so that it it’s received by 8 pm on Election Day.

So far, I’ve done the first step. What state do you live in where it’s “so easy”?

DO. TELL.

PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 4:40 PM

R6, it isn't possible. It's just the latest troll lie - and a very dumb one at that. They think registering alone means you get to vote as many times as you please.

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 4:41 PM

America is a Representative Republic, which is why we elect senators and congressmen.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote]Voting by mail is ludicrous.

Every state in the country allows voting by mail. Some states do nearly exclusive voting by mail. There has never been a problem with this, other than a few minor, isolated incidents.

Like all of the other excuses used to put roadblocks in the path of voters, what you wrote in R3 is simply a lie.

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2020 4:43 PM

Thanks R7. I’m aware. I just keep countering this particular lie with facts here and elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2020 4:44 PM

The real truth is Trump is obviously convinced he’s going to lose (maybe the idiot has learned he is no longer useful). Otherwise he wouldn’t be trying so hard to undermine the legitimacy of an election that hasn’t yet happened.

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2020 4:48 PM

And as such, R8, it has failed. It is ridiculous to have a states like WY and KY with fewer people than NYC alone, have more say in the direction of this country than they should. Twelve million more people voted for Dems than Reps in 2018 for the Senate - and Mitch McConnell from a mooching, small state (compared to CA, NY, NY, CT, MA) gets to control it. We have a ridiculous set up.

R10, you know that no matter how many times you tell them, they'll just repeat the lie. It's what they do.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 4:48 PM

have states*

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2020 4:48 PM

FAKE NEWS @ r3, just the sort of conspiracy horse manure Trump is peddling.

You can't register the same name and address, the databases will kick you out.

But Trump doesn't need phony ballots to commit fraud. He's committing fraud by using the greatest weapon at his disposal — the U.S. Postal Service in a pandemic — to stop voting against him.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2020 5:33 PM

I don't understand why the article has some people urging voters to request an absentee ballot through mail.

My state has mailed ALL ballots directly to the voters 2 months before the election. How many states actually make people re-register and request a mail-in ballot manually?

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2020 5:36 PM

r6, what state are you?

That smacks of voter suppression and/or obsolescence.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2020 5:38 PM

Note how you said "elect," r8?

That's democracy. But not when the government doesn't let you do it.

Semantic twat.

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2020 5:39 PM

R6 describes the process here in TX.

I requested an application for a ballot. I’ve sent the application out to the local county election board.

It’s for my mom, though. She’s over 65.

When I went to vote for the run-offs, they gave us hand sanitizer, plus gave us a q-tip to press/touch the screen with.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 5:56 PM

R3, it's not as easy as all that. Here's John Oliver on voter fraud. Go to the 12 minute mark:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 6:06 PM

Voter-fraud-by-mail is so prevalent that the ones screaming about it the most, all vote by mail.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 6:08 PM

Portland was the rehearsal. The DOJ has also been weaponized.

“Trump can’t cancel an election? Ummm. Ponder this: Trump orders DHS to impound ballots in Dade County on Nov. 1 after ‘reports’ of ‘irregularities.’ Who stops them? Courts order return. But ballots now declared invalid. Chaos. Florida re-vote? What would Barr do? Republicans?”

America, you in danger gurl. Serious danger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 6:20 PM

r20 = Naked Boris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 6:23 PM

You can't register wherever/whenever you want. You need several proofs of residence the first time you register in most states. This whole thing has been studied. There is hardly any fraud in states that allow it. And in the few cases they found - they were Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2020 6:28 PM

The GOP is against it, because they don't have the manpower to meddle with the mail in voting results on the downlow.

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2020 6:28 PM

R 15. Virginia always has. Now, this election it is supposed to be easier to vote by mail but I haven't figured it out yet. But you have to ask - they aren't sending anything out to everybody that is registered.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 6:31 PM

Anybody who is going to vote by mail needs to do so at the earliest date they let you. Find out if there are other ways to send it in or even drop it off.

Fed EX and UPS need to step up.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 6:33 PM

R22, WTF. Did you miss my point? How the hell am I Russian troll when I'm saying that people like Trump scream about voter fraud, yet many in his own admin VOTE BY MAIL.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2020 6:34 PM

[Quote] Fed EX and UPS need to step up.

DP needs to wake up.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2020 6:36 PM

R22, Trump himself has voted by mail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 6:36 PM

Since Dump has tucked around with the USPS, my suggestion is to do what we do: Request an absentee ballot as soon as they are available. Once you have received and completed it, DO NOT MAIL IT IN! Instead, go in person to your city clerk's office and PERSONALLY HAND IT IN!

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 6:41 PM

My state automatically mails you your ballot.

But I have never mailed it in.

I have always waited to vote until the weekend before the election in case of late-breaking news, October surprises and the fact the media makes their endorsements in the last week.

I have the option to use several drop-off boxes, like mailboxes throughout the city, which are counted on Election Day. I also can drop my ballot off in a box at live polling stations, where the election officials turn them over to be counted on Election Day.

Does everybody else have the same options?

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2020 6:43 PM

Washington Post did not allow my paywalled browser to link directly to the article.

If your browser is paywalled, change browsers or Google the headline, "Postal Service backlog sparks worries that ballot delivery could be delayed in November" and click on the Google Cached version of the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2020 6:54 PM

R16, I’m in a blue state with newly adopted mail in procedures. It’s not suppression, it’s a method that counters all of Trump and the GOPs attempts at undermining mail-in votes. The mail-in process must have controls in place, otherwise it plays into their hands.

Suppressions is forcing folks to chose between staying home and safe while voting v waiting in line all day at a polling place to cast a vote.

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2020 7:45 PM

And once again, I want to remind you, that your signature at the bottom needs to match exactly what you filled out on top.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 8:01 PM

Well, r16 / r33, those are extremely complicated, inefficient and user-unfriendly procedures.

My state simply started mailing ballots to every registered voter years ago, 6-8 weeks before any election, including primaries. They always provided in-person voting on Election Day and several weeks prior, too. Plus those voter drop-boxes near U.S. mailboxes on the street that are collected periodically, including Election Night.

The complicated, months-long, double process you described is like a poll tax: more complicated than it needs to be and likely to turn half the voters off.

Lots of poor, uneducated or ambivalent voters are never going to complete the process and jump every hoop in time. They'll just give up.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 3:07 AM

Universal mail-ballots R35? What state? Do you have a blue legislator and governor?

I don’t know that I’d want it to be as easy as you describe. Along with leaving the process open to criticism, I think uneducated voters are part of the problem we have now, to be completely honest.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2020 3:12 AM

No, it's Utah. Super-Republican but that means they streamline decisions really quickly.

There hasn't been much change in the voter patterns, Democrats are always only about 25%. We even flipped a highly gerrymandered Republican congressional district in 2018 when the "Blue Wave" hit.

This year, Biden is the first Democratic Presidential candidate breaking even with the Republican in surveys since the 1960s, too.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 3:20 AM

Well, most Americans don't have college degrees and minorities are hit harder by the problem. So I support making it simple and having all the extra options if one method goes wrong.

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2020 3:22 AM

The Republican Party in Utah even allows online voting, which is scarier to me, though, because there are no printed receipts.

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2020 3:24 AM

In the last election there were exactly FOUR cases of mail-in ballot fraud in the US. It is actually the least likely form of voting fraud. And voting fraud in the US is extremely rare to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2020 3:27 AM

Thanks for the response R37( who I’m assuming is R35 too). I’m curious if red states have fewer controls on mail in voting. It would be ironic, but hardly surprising.

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2020 3:33 AM

All the Republicans who bitch about voting by mail actually vote by mail

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2020 3:40 AM

For the one billionth time for you civics dropouts, the Senate represents THE STATES that's why each state is treated equally with two Senators. The House represents THE PEOPLE with representatives apportioned to population. The Senate was designed to be a "deliberative body", more of an "advise and consent", rather than a body where legislation was originated, especially any spending bills which must start in the House.

Yes, it's frustrating we have to be held up by loons like Mike Lee and Mike Crapo from nowhere, but there are a number of small blue states as well to counteract this. There just have always been more red states period!

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2020 3:45 AM

We know American civics better than you, Boris @ r43.

And we still think the Senate is an elitist, anti-democratic institution designed purposely to protect the institution of slavery. You missed the point ENTIRELY.

There are more small red states than small blue states and they're given outsized weight and power in the Senate. Regarldess of what you thought the Senate was designed to be, it has unearned, undue power to stop anything and everything in the government by a handful of easily bribed, red-state yokels who subvert the will of the American majority.

The Senate is MORE powerful than the House because it has the power to control impeachment trials and Presidential appointments, including the Supreme Court.

The Senate should either be allocated according to state population or retired, like the House of Lords in Britain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 2:41 PM

Oh, shit.

Looks like only 5 states have automatic, mail-in voting for everyone established before coronavirus:

Colorado

Hawaii

Oregon

Utah

Washington

So I guess I'm lucky. The states are half red and half blue. I haven't heard of any problems in our systems.

The rest of the country is fucked because of either COVID-19 or Trump tampering! You all are going to have to go through some lengthy, absentee process, none of it will happen on-time and state systems won't know how to handle it yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 2:45 PM

It looks like California, Nevada, Montana, New Hampshire and New Jersey have begun automatic mail-in ballots for everyone because of COVID-19 for the first time this year, and 16 other states won't make you do an absentee application:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 2:49 PM

New Yorkers may be mailed an absentee application, but they still have to fill it out, then wait for a real ballot, then hope that gets in on time. Double trouble!

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 2:51 PM

R43, we KNOW how it works, genius. We didn't fail civics. We're pointing out how preposterous it is that this continues. It is ridiculous. And it doesn't matter that there are smaller, blue states. And saying there are more red states is meaningless because tumbleweed doesn't vote. Land mass doesn't vote.

As I pointed out: 12 MILLION more people *voted* for Democrats than Republicans for the Senate - and Republicans control it. It is outrageous that these states with smaller populations -most of which are red- get to control the rest of us, particularly when the majority of states dependent on handouts ARE red. So the fact that they aren't even self-sufficient and get to destroy this country with their regressive beliefs, is why it should change. And the house is gerrymandered to death by the GOP specifically because again, most people vote for Democrats. They have to draw pretzel-like districts to win.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 5:22 PM

Yes r48, my post ADDRESSED ALL OF THIS, you just want to rant!

I am saying the way it is working is the way it is designed period. The small red states are pretty much equalled out by the small blue states, so the real difference is that there are more states in total of any size where the majority vote Republican, and yes this still leaves the population imbalance which is balanced by the House which is a lot harder for the GOP to hold. I'm not addressing whether this is "fair" or not, I'm saying the Senate is designed to represent the STATES as entities and not the citizens IN THEM, and that is what you and every other whiner fails to recognize.

One doesn't learn FEELINGS in civics class, regardless how bitchy you get. It doesn't matter what we feel about it, that's the way it currently works. Go fight City Hall if you don't like it, and change the Constitution, but that will NOT be happening.

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2020 8:21 PM

We all need to vote in person this year. If we don't, then Trump could steal the election. Conservative judges will ensure that certain mail-in ballots are not counted. We can't risk that.

Voting in person is no more dangerous than going to the grocery store, Target or Costco. Just put on a mask and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2020 8:40 PM

The point is to cause confusion. In person voting will be fixed, in favor of Trump and the GOP, by the Russian hackers and the guys working at the voting machine company formerly known as Diebold.

That's the whole point why absentee ballot voting was necessary in the first place. The ballots have to be counted manually by actual humans, for the most part, not loyal to Trump, the GOP, and Russia.

by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2020 9:34 PM

Mail service has been shit for decades. I’m always getting mail addressed to other addresses in my mailbox, by postal workers who don’t give a damn about delivering mail accurately.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2020 9:46 PM

Pod Save today was terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2020 9:55 PM

FAKE NEWS @ r49

There are 17 SMALL RED STATES BUT ONLY 5 SMALL BLUE STATES!

Just because Deplorable hicks weight twice as much as the average American doesn't mean their votes should!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2020 9:56 PM

r48 is also in a rude awakening if he thinks people are sick and tired of the electoral college and gerrymandering enough to AMEND THE CONSTITUTION.

The past, two Republican presidents couldn't earn the popular vote and caused massive, American disasters and loss of life, from the Iraq War debacle, to Hurricane Katrina neglect, to the Great Recession, to the Trumpster Fire's Russian corrupt bargain and Pandemic neglect.

Americans are tired of their votes not counting and getting life-threatening shitshows when Republicans are in charge.

by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2020 9:59 PM

So sick and tired of Republicans and their "alternative facts."

You're all a bunch of fucking Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 56August 3, 2020 10:03 PM

Yes, r54, we see and FEEL your butt hurt!

I only considered states with three or four Electoral Votes and I stated that there are simply more red states in total if you just consider ALL states.

You must just need to hear yourself restate everything in your own voice.

by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2020 11:32 PM

r57 = failed

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 5:21 AM

He's claiming that he can issue an executive order to eliminate mail-in voting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote]A friend who works for VA tells me that they are hearing that the slow down at the USPS is impacting veterans who get their prescriptions by mail. Reports are two week delays are occuring in critical meds. They love the troops and veterans! #TraitorTrump - Fred Wellman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 6, 2020 4:10 AM

This is very bad for small businesses. They can’t afford to send every order by Priority Mail or by FedEx.

by Anonymousreply 61August 6, 2020 4:37 AM

Your state doesn't have a paper receipt printed for all the voters they have to verify in real time, collected separately from the computer database, r51?

Your state doesn't have drop boxes for late mail-in ballots at the polling booths?

Mine does.

by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2020 6:56 AM

Trump just shit-canned the top administrators at the U.S Postal Service to implement Operation No Votes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2020 4:00 PM

If masks work so well, then people can go out and vote.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2020 4:02 PM

And today we have a confession from Trump himself that he knows he's tampering and trying to sabotage the vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2020 1:37 AM

Obama's weighing in now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 15, 2020 1:39 AM

#CrookedDonald

#LockHimUp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 15, 2020 1:40 AM

Clip on CNN featured Rethuglican Secretary if Washington State. Anderson was shocked that she merely stated the facts . The state has had universal mail in voting since 2005 or 2007 . The state ranks among the “highest voter turnout” nationwide.

Of approximately three million mail in votes there have been 142 cases of people double Voting or voting for the dead.

She thinks the issue should not be politicized.

There is nothing complicated about it.

Trump told us he is withholding funds from post office to enhance his chances of winning

by Anonymousreply 68August 15, 2020 1:53 AM

Oh rely? We hadn't noticed. Anyhoo, there's nothing we can do about it what with the Senate being GOP and all.

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2020 2:09 AM

I wish more than 5 states were doing all mail-in balloting before the pandemic, r68. Even without Trump's mail tampering, the process would be a clusterfuck because most states haven't done it before. And some, like NY, force their citizens to register, request a ballot, then receive, fill out and resend a ballot. More hassle than it needs to be.

As you can see, both blue and red states have been using all-mail balloting for years without significant problems:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 15, 2020 3:45 AM

Bump for Natasha, since her Boris account forgot to inform her.

by Anonymousreply 71August 15, 2020 7:01 PM

To R 69: fuck you

by Anonymousreply 72August 15, 2020 7:38 PM

Today Boris is trying to make Nazi cunt Nikki Haley into a gay icon.

#EpicFail

by Anonymousreply 73August 17, 2020 2:05 AM

Today Boris is posting FAKE POLLING NEWS that Trump has a 91% chance of winning the electoral college.

I've been saying for 2 years that Trump's white trash army of suckers are going to be completely shocked when Trump loses because they don't report the facts on Fox.

by Anonymousreply 74August 17, 2020 2:29 AM

This will disproportionately affect farming areas and they tend to lean right, ironically enough. The Republicans are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with this.

But I don't know how much the sabotage of the postal service matters as much as the possibility of hacked voting machines. In many states they have no reliable paper backup so If they are hacked, it will be hard to prove.

Keep in mind the fact that exit polling from 2016 showed Hillary winning the key swing states that would have given her the electoral college. Something fishy happened.

by Anonymousreply 75August 17, 2020 3:29 AM

It's not so much the mail they care about, it's that people won't be using the voting machines that Jared got the Russians to hack. It was all set-up for a Trump win, and here came Covid to mess everything up.

by Anonymousreply 76August 17, 2020 3:54 AM

I will be voting the orange fuck out of office in person, if I have to crawl naked over rusty razor blades to do it.

by Anonymousreply 77August 17, 2020 3:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!