Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Suspiria

I’m watching Suspiria by Luca Guadagnino. Tilda Swnton is a great witch. Weird movie, and good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3710 hours ago

Watch the original one too OP.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Saturday at 3:06 PM

The original is hard to find. I have only seen it available as DVDs for purchase. I would like to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Saturday at 3:08 PM

It's widely available on streaming platforms.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Saturday at 3:11 PM

tripe

good looking tripe, but still tripe nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Saturday at 3:23 PM

The remake is actually a whole different Movie. Same setting and premise but a whole different screenplay.

It’s better than the 1977 movie in my opinion. Very strange and disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 5Last Saturday at 4:50 PM

This version bombed at the box office. I like the original movie better (from 1977 I think) with Dark Shadows star Joan Bennet.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Saturday at 5:20 PM

Suspiria 1977 with bullish woman in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7Last Saturday at 5:25 PM

Shushpiria! I shaw the original back in sheventy-sheven. Shcary!

by Anonymousreply 8Last Saturday at 5:35 PM

R6 didn’t see the 2018 movie. Old dumbass bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Saturday at 5:39 PM

I liked it. Dakota Johnson carried it very well, she's a surprisingly good actress.

It would be fun to see more remakes of Giallo films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10Last Saturday at 5:40 PM

I loved it and watched it twice. Disturbing fun with some really good performances. I love the original too but they have little to do with each other plot wise.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Saturday at 5:43 PM

First of all: goddamn I hate Box Office Mojo these days, they totally ruined it.

I liked Suspiria and I was a bit surprised to find out it really did flop, and bad. The budget was $20M and worldwide B.O. only $7.7M. That $20M most probably is without P&A although I suspect that number isn't very high. Still, it's basically a European art house film, a 70s pastiche, so no wonder people didn't want to see it. You can't even describe it being truly horror.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Saturday at 5:43 PM

Luca Guadagnino talking about the film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13Last Saturday at 5:44 PM

The Luca version was great. I thought Dakota was absolutely fantastic in this role. The Tilda multiple roles really annoyed me. She's not as great as she thinks she is. It made a great film into something bordering on boring camp for the sake of camp. The film would've been a 10/10 if they had a real old geezer playing the old man role (maybe some Oscar winner in his 90s) and not Tilda doing a bad impersonation.

I think Argento is overrated, though I've seen most of his pictures. Joan Bennet was great in Suspiria, the 70s version, but everything else fell flat aside from the interesting sets. Sergio Martino is the best giallo director but strangely not as popular at this point in time. See "The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh" for interesting giallo.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Saturday at 5:45 PM

It’s a horror film, you reject r7. A gory one too.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Saturday at 5:46 PM

An incredible pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Saturday at 5:47 PM

I learned a new word from it that I had to google; "(Double) Caposhi".

[quote]Popular 70s term meaning "cool". pronounced kuh-pa-she.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Saturday at 5:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18Last Saturday at 5:49 PM

You never saw it. Go back to bed grandpa!

by Anonymousreply 19Last Saturday at 5:49 PM

Old dumbass bitch tries to chime in on a movie it hasn’t seen.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Saturday at 5:51 PM

R2, here you go. The original is available for free via Tubi TV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21Last Saturday at 5:51 PM

Someone also shared it on Youtube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22Last Saturday at 5:53 PM

[quote]I liked Suspiria and I was a bit surprised to find out it really did flop, and bad.

Not surprising when you remember that it was the director's follow-up to Call Me By Your Name. The new audience he'd gained wasn't interested, and Giallo has always been a cult thing anyway.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Saturday at 5:54 PM

I liked the film and I think it will sadly be Luca Guadagnino's last art-y film as he's signed on to do yet another "Scarface" remake and directing a film with a script written by Seth Rogen. It was a flop at the box office, but I think there should be an asterisk next to it because it was distributed by Amazon Studios so it was released in the theaters before being released on Amazon Prime so I'm sure many felt they'd rather wait to see it with their subscription versus seeing it in limited release. Netflix doesn't release their box office numbers for their theatrical releases so they avoid this type of scrutiny. I think the only real box office success Netflix had was for "The Irishman" because each time I wanted to see it at the Egyptian in L.A, it was sold out.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Saturday at 5:54 PM

The bullish woman in R7 is the once stunning Alida Valli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25Last Saturday at 5:56 PM

The Perfume of the Lady in Black is one of my favorite Giallo films, it's very unusual and claustrophobic. I think it would work really well as a remake in a modern setting. Most of Argento's films are overrated, Suspiria included.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26Last Saturday at 6:07 PM

Throwback to Asia Argento calling Luca a cunt:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27Last Saturday at 6:10 PM

Oh that reminds me to resume watching.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Saturday at 6:28 PM

I preferred the original, primarily because I loved the stylishness of the art nouveau sets and the oddness by having all of the actors' voices dubbed (except the main woman) because their German accents were so thick.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Saturday at 6:34 PM

Tilda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30Yesterday at 4:09 AM

The 2 movies are very different. I enjoyed both actually.

by Anonymousreply 31Yesterday at 4:18 AM

Hated the new one with the bloated run time and unnecessary holocaust plot-line with old tilda.

by Anonymousreply 32Yesterday at 4:33 AM

People have been saying Argento is overrated since he first became mega-famous in Europe in the 70's. The debate continues! I think his first eight films (most people agree) are stylish masterpieces of bold weirdness, that have influenced a few generations of filmmakers in their own way. Most of his films after 1980, not so much. He is one of the most famous giallo directors, so discovery of his films often leads to a "gateway" of discovering the genre had many star directors, some better than Argento in many ways, but countless films and lesser-know directors (and sub-genres). The giallo genre is massive and all over the place. SO MANY giallo films were made in the 1960/70's and 80's. It's difficult to pick a "best."

R29 Actually, most of the actors were Italian. And this is the way most (but not every one) Italian films and television were shot back then. Shoot with no sound, then all sound and dialogue dubbed in later. It was kind of an industry standard.

by Anonymousreply 33Yesterday at 4:57 AM

R33 -

[quote]Rudolf Schündler, the West German actor who played the role of Professor Milius, could not speak any English or Italian, so in the scene where he talks with Jessica Harper (Suzy) about witches, she could not understand him as he was speaking in German. Harper later quoted that she tried to keep a straight face as not to flub her lines.

[quote]In an interview, Jessica Harper said that many of the actors spoke different languages during shooting, mostly Italian and German, and it would make communicating difficult at times. However, since the film would be dubbed into English for American release, it was deemed not to be an issue during filming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3416 hours ago

R34 Interesting!

by Anonymousreply 3511 hours ago

Mia goth as the friend was incredible honestly blew me away. Could not stand the that no-eyebrow bitch before haha

by Anonymousreply 3610 hours ago

This movie summons the Devil!

by Anonymousreply 3710 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!