Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Do You Miss Most in this COVID-19 Era?

What's the first thing you'll do once there's a proven successful vaccine or a treatment and life goes back to some semblance of what it was before this?

Will you hit a bar? Go out for a massage? Back to the gym?

What's the one thing you miss doing that you'll do again once all this changes for the better?

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Give my old ma a proper hug.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 9:08 PM

Bars. International travel. Sex with a variety of men.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 9:08 PM

The baths. Oh, so efficient. But unavailable.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 9:11 PM

The baths. Oh, so efficient. But unavailable.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 9:11 PM

Living!

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 9:12 PM

Store shopping and hair cuts.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 9:13 PM

Travel, museums, not freaking out over every little thing (headache, sore throat, etc) that could possibly be a Covid-19 symptom, even though I don't leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 9:15 PM

Going into my parents' house. I go over there several times a week but I only talk to them outside, from at least 10 feet away.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 9:15 PM

Theater. Travel. Seeing my niece. Meeting someone for dinner or coffee.

Basically everything.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 9:17 PM

Having friends or family over for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 9:18 PM

So many posts!

I'm going to fly to the east coast and go to my brother's storage unit and arrange to pick up my late parents' wedding album and some other treasured items.

I'm going to go get a massage from the hottest guy I can find and offer to pay extra if he'll just hold me afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 9:18 PM

Dancing in close proximity to strangers in sweaty confined spaces.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 9:19 PM

Definitely the movies. Oh my goodness, how I miss the theaters. If it wasn’t for this goddamn Coronavirus, I’d be getting all hyped up for “Halloween Kills” right now. Trailers. Posters. Clips. Script leaks. The general aura of Halloween, period. I’ve been waiting for that movie for two years and it just crushed me when they pushed it back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 9:20 PM

Having a job.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 9:22 PM

The gym and travel. Even just planning a trip.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 9:22 PM

Mass on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 9:48 PM

International travel. I was due for one year of roaming the earth and then Covid 19 happened. just my shitty luck. I stayed at a miserable job for years in order to do this. And who knows when a vaccine will arrive. Anyway, I have a nice house, husband and cat so happy about that.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 9:51 PM

Physical contact.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 12:17 AM

Movie theatres and travel

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 12:53 AM

Joel

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 12:56 AM

Night and day responses, R1 and R2.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 3:13 AM

Dick and hole

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 3:16 AM

Concerts and festivals. I had been to 20 shows in 2019, and had already planned 10 more for 2020. I miss it more than I thought I would. I realized it's the only thing I do for "fun."

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2020 3:19 AM

I miss concerts/performances the most. After that, a good bar and meeting friends out. And, more generally, just the hum of energetic and hectic cities.

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2020 3:51 AM

Travel again. I can’t wait. Hug friends and family again. Date again.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 3:56 AM

Trips to the bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 3:58 AM

I finally had enough $ put aside for a five day trip to Hawaii; two travel days and three to see the sights, hit the beach, and shop and hang out in the pool on a floatation device while having a pina colada.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2020 5:08 AM

International travel. I've been hoarding air miles and plan on using them as soon as I can travel without having to be in quarantine for two weeks providing the airline doesn't zero them out as a cost saving measure.

Going to the gym without wearing a mask. When my gym reopened they didn't require wearing a mask when on the treadmill just when you are walking around or talking to the staff but that changed after a couple of weeks. I can't run on the treadmill with a mask on.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2020 2:31 PM

Normality. Hugs.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2020 2:35 PM

I don’t give a shit about hugs but I very much miss my quarterly trip to a local all you can eat Chinese buffet.

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2020 2:39 PM

Going to church (mine are still virtual).

Going to the gym.

My employer not being faced with up to 50% budget cuts (though I'm grateful to still be employed).

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2020 2:45 PM

I hate having to be on my guard whenever I go out, having to keep a distance from other people, be careful what I touch, wearing a mask whenever I go inside a shop, remembering to wash my hands when I get home. When this pandemic is over I will never complain again.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2020 2:49 PM

Weirdly, I was in New York from Monday, February 17, until Wednesday, February 26. I saw 6 shows: “The Inheritance,” for the second time (!), “Mack and Mabel,” “Unknown Soldier,” “Yank!,” “The Confession of Lily Dare,” and, my favorite, the haunting “Darling Grenadine.”

I went to AA meetings, had lunch with friends, toured museums, photographed Deco architecture, shopped for books at the Strand and CD’s at the Academy. And even went to the baths, where what then constituted safe fun was had.

But there were suspicions everywhere. I was aware of the epidemic in Wuhan. Somehow, I never got around to going to my favorite Chinese place, and I noticed all the oriental restaurants I passed were pretty much empty. There were hints around, but, like everyone else, I was pretty much heedless.

I returned to Florida only a few days before all hell broke loose, and have been mostly isolated since.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2020 3:18 PM

My life had social isolation to a certain degree before the virus, as a job took me far from my friends, but I do miss the little moments of walking without worry into a cafe or store. Haven't been shopping for months and it's an ordeal for us to go once a week to the cafe we do feel comfortable visiting (they allow online ordering, bring it outside, we can sit at a bench far from anyone else, etc.)

I missed traveling this summer. My father will probably die before I get a chance to see him again due to the pandemic. (I am hoping in my heart any Higher Power doesn't judge me for the relief I feel about that, because he's in the throes of dementia and I want to let him go with love.)

We were house hunting, and that, too, is on hold.

I'm high risk enough that I don't think I'll be able to trust a vaccine. I don't mean that I won't get the thing - I will - only that I will probably be wearing a mask indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2020 3:25 PM

R1

Without a doubt.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2020 3:26 PM

Travel! There l is no other substitute hobby that comes close. Pray for a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2020 3:41 PM

I miss going to coffee places and sitting with a book.

Miss theater.

Miss travel.

Miss seeing my niece.

Miss yoga classes.

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2020 4:08 PM

Going places and not being afraid of catching Corona. It’s going to take me a while to readjust if we ever get rid of this virus.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2020 4:14 PM

[quote]Night and day responses, [R1] and [R2].

Not if r1's proper hug with his ma leads to something more.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2020 4:23 PM

I miss my Trunp rallies , Gay bashing , Riding my electric cart in Wal mart . Volunteering at the Trump 2020 Center. The annual KKK PICNIC.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote]Night and day responses, [[R1]] and [[R2]].

[quote]Not if [R1]'s proper hug with his ma leads to something more.

Only on DL, kids, only on DL. Thank you, that made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2020 6:15 PM

As an introvert who moved to a new town in late 2019 and who didn't go out much before, anyway, not much has actually changed for me, but I really miss not having to be vigilant at all times. It's interesting how that can weigh you down, even if your actual lifestyle doesn't change all that much.

That, and travel -- the ability to just take off for a long weekend and go to the beach or the mountains or a national park.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2020 6:22 PM

Use your newfound time to review proper comma usage.

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2020 6:29 PM

Movies at the Arclight

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2020 6:33 PM

Fly over to S.F. to visit my best friend. Or have her come over here (Reno). Just hang out together and talk. Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2020 7:27 PM

Concerts. Last October I moved to a rural town in SW Wisconsin, one of the reasons was because of all the nearby music venues. Converted barns, outdoor amphitheaters & spaces, beautifully restored opera houses, warehouses, most are closed now. A few have been able to adapt but it's not the same.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2020 7:33 PM

Fewer people acting like petulant children.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2020 7:55 PM

Sex.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote] I moved to a rural town in SW Wisconsin,

Just me talking, but if I were to move there, fuck concerts, get me CHEESE!

I want a cheese wheel the size of a tractor tire.

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2020 11:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!