Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ads for weighted blankets keep popping up for me

In August. Are weighted blankets just some new fad?

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 10:37 PM

If you sleep better with weight on you, August is a good time to use weighted blankets. They are as heavy as several blankets but a lot less warm. The weight comes from glass beads sewn into the blankets.

I have one and I love the weight when I am under it but it is too heavy (30lb!) and it’s really annoying to have to lift off me, especially at night when I habe to get up to use the bathroom. I think 10 or 15 pounds would be perfect.

I always slept with three blankets on top of me, even when it was too hot, because I just sleep better under weight. (As far as I can tell, I’m not autistic, but I do have sensory and neurological problems.)

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 7:20 PM

PS You probably clicked on one of those ads, OP. If you did, then Facebook and Instagram will know it and will spam the hell out of you because you’ve shown interest. And now that you’ve typed ‘weighted blanket’ into your phone for the purpose of making this thread, the ads are guaranteed to keep coming.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 7:22 PM

I didn't know about weighted blankets, but after getting X-rays at the dentist, I thought how comfortable are these weighted XRay protector bib things. I searched for weighted blankets and back then it seemed like they were being sold at oline shops for people with autism. What's the connection?

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 7:36 PM

R3 There's no connection but they feel the same because of the weight. If you like the XRay blanket you'd like the weighted one. I love mine and can't imagine how I ever slept without it. You can get custom ones with your choice of fabric and glass or plastic beads.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 7:49 PM

R4 I think he is asking what the connection is between the blankets and autism.

R3 The blankets do feel very much like the lead X-ray bibs and they give a similar feeling of comfort. Regarding autism, some people appear to have sensory disorders/differences and benefit from pressure/weight that is similar to the feeling of a hug. Watch the movie about Temple Grandin starring Claire Danes to see how it works.

Of course, because “sensory processing disorder” is a newly coined term a lot of people will dismiss it they way they do fibromyalgia, etc., but it can be a part of autism and some people with ADHD or no diagnosed disorder at all likewise can feel a lot more comfortable with physical pressure applied.

I have no diagnosis and I have no interest in any kind of diagnosis but having learned about this disorder, I now see that I fall into the category. As a kid, I always wrapped myself in my comforter and carried it throughout the house. I’ve always liked heavy sweaters and coats and I tend to wear them even when it’s not quite cold enough because the weight makes me feel more comfortable/secure. And I was never aware of this at all until a coworker told me “oh, I forgot you don’t like to be touched! I’m sorry!” I didn’t know what she was talking about and she told me that she once touched my stomach and I snapped at her and said I don’t like to be touched. I didn’t remember making the comment, but it’s true: I am much more comfortable and secure with a ‘shell,’ and that includes during sleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 8:09 PM

I like how the hug pillow complements the weighted blanket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 8:20 PM

That looks creepy R6.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 8:23 PM

The hug pillow is a clever idea but that design makes it look like evidence from a crime scene.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 8:32 PM

Oh, what’s the big deal, R7? I used my leg as a headrest.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 8:33 PM

I'm not heavy just big boned.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 9:12 PM

For what it's worth, I was in Ollie's about a month ago (discount store, sort of like TJ Maxx) and they had a ton of these for sale and marked down. I was thinking about getting one myself. I keep my air conditioner running very cool. Right now I mainly sleep on my stomach for the pressure, but it's hard on my back and arms.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 10:22 PM

If you are even remotely claustrophobic, STAY AWAY from these weighted blankets. A friend of mine got one and I was curious about it, so he lent it to me for a night. For the first couple of minutes it isn't all that bad—but then you realize you've got 30 pounds of weight on top of you and it's very hard to move, and you start imagining your breathing is compromised and that makes it worse, and then ohmyfuckinggodI'vegottogetoutfromunderthisgoddamnthingbecauseit'sfuckingKILLINGme! That was as close to a panic attack as I ever want to get. Other than that, maybe some people like them. I don't.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 10:30 PM

Dumbest trend in ages.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!