Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Does San Diego Have Such Perfect Weather?

I’m over here being cooked alive and they’re in the mid-70’s all week! I’d kill to have mild summers like that. I’ve never seen another place with such perfect year-round weather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 3, 2021 9:23 AM

Its phsyical location is what makes it perfect. It's perfectly situated between arctic and equatorial climates. And the ocean moderates the local temperature so that it seldom, if ever, gets roasting hot.

I've considered living there numerous times, though the city itself is somewhat limited in terms of real estate options, having an airport downtown unfortunately kills about a quarter of the city for me, and a shoe closet in LaJolla is 2.5M. But yes, it's as close to paradise as possible.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 6:08 PM

June gloom and whatever they call Nov-Jan fog means it's not exactly perfect. The last time I was there--an August a few years ago, I had to buy another layer because it became unseasonably cool at night.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 6:11 PM

That Nov-Jan fog is winter, I think! Carmel/Monterey gets the same though it does get cooler there at night or in some winter months.

It can get cool near the ocean for sure. When we visit there we always sit outside for breakfast and we always have to bring a windbreaker - by 9 or 10 am or so it warms up.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 6:14 PM

[QUOTE] June gloom and whatever they call Nov-Jan fog means it's not exactly perfect. The last time I was there--an August a few years ago, I had to buy another layer because it became unseasonably cool at night.

Unseasonably cool at night sounds great to me—I sleep better when it’s chilly.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 6:20 PM

If I were to move to Cali, San Diego would be the place.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 6:28 PM

If you ever move, please don't call it Cali.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 6:31 PM

I lived there for 9 years. It's not really that perfect. Taken as a whole, what you get in San Diego (mostly inland and not right on the truly lovely beaches) is this: January through March - rain, rain, rain, to the point of feeling permanently mildewed, followed by 9 months of drought, with temps in 90s and not dropping that much at night.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 6:38 PM

So when I look at the San Diego seven day forecast, R7, it’s giving me beach weather? I’m not seeing anything in the 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 6:41 PM

Excellent climate

But one of the most boring cities in the world. It's basically as though they picked up Wichita KS and moved it to the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 6:45 PM

I live there. We call it "May Gray" and "June Gloom" as those are usually the months with the worst weather. When I have friends visiting from Europe I always tell them to come in early September for the sunniest weather. And many's the time we had Christmas Days that were as warm and sunny as late spring. I love having the airport, the main train station, and the cruise ship pier right next to each other -it's very convenient.

The negatives of the area are: super high property rates and utilities,and the highest price anywhere for gasoline. Positives to balance those out: many hot marines and sailors from all the nearby bases, lots of good theatre, great restaurants (esp. Mexican), lots of latin guys (if they're your thing), and easy access to LA/Palm Springs/Las Vegas/San Francisco.

Not sure what drugs R7 was on. Annual rainfall in the area is under 12 inches in a wet year. Average of 146 sunny days a year (morning overcast burns off by lunchtime), and average temp. is 67-77 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 6:45 PM

Los Angeles has the best weather. That is why it has 18 million people compared to San Diego's tiny 3 million (metro areas).

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 6:48 PM

If you like it chilly, foggy, and gloomy all winter, and a marine layer that hangs around till noon and then come back at 4, over a freezing ocean, yes, it is the place. Also if you are a mildly retarded republican leaning Christo-fascist it's quite the place.

Waiting for all the SD gays to jump on this because they drive to PS to escape the winter gloom and SD is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 6:49 PM

[QUOTE] Positives to balance those out: many hot marines and sailors from all the nearby bases, lots of good theatre, great restaurants (esp. Mexican), lots of latin guys (if they're your thing), and easy access to LA/Palm Springs/Las Vegas/San Francisco.

😍 It gets better and better.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 6:52 PM

I posted in another thread here months ago that I visited a park/beach on the island and saw about a dozen of the hottest men I have ever, ever, EVER seen in my life. Running, shirtless - total godlike men.

Apparently the Navy SEALs train near that park, so....wow.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 6:55 PM

Is Sean Cody still based in San Diego (since it was bought by MindGeek)? You could often recognize outdoor locations in the San Diego area where the guys would be playing before the scenes when inside for the action.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 8:11 PM

San Diego is boring as hell

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 8:27 PM

[quote] But one of the most boring cities in the world. It's basically as though they picked up Wichita KS and moved it to the ocean.

This is complete bullshit. First of all, you have endless opportunities for outdoor recreation. Surfing, hiking, boating, fishing, paragliding, biking, and every other sport under the sun. Secondly, there's nightlife and cafe culture, some of it full of douchebags but certainly not all. Outstanding Mexican food everywhere you look. You have one of the most beautiful urban parks in the country which has multiple museums - small, yes, but a good variety - and one of the greatest zoos in the world. You have a beautiful gay nude beach. A gorgeous outdoor shopping mall at Westfield UTC. A photographer's paradise. Endless man candy from the military bases and university. What is so boring about all of that? Try living in Phoenix for awhile...that will shut you up.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 8:36 PM

You ever think that some people want boring, R16? And if it’s anything like some of the boring places I lived, like various suburbs, then I can find some trouble if I really want to.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 8:37 PM

If I moved to Cali I'd live in Frisco!

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 8:39 PM

r7, Because that person must be talking about towns further inland of San Diego county, or even right outside the county. San Diego, proper, and most of the surrounding towns have beautiful weather with very few days of extreme heat or extreme cold for that matter. San Diego is also one of those places where the weather can vary weather drastically over a short a distance. This is especially true during the summer, where it can be 80 deg. in city of san Diego but like 100 degrees just 10 miles away in inland cities/towns. The best part of San Diego is most months throughout the year it gets no hotter 80 degrees, sunny and warm but cools down at night without EVER, even during winter getting freezing cold.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 8:40 PM

Also, if SD is too boring, you can always cross the border for a little grime and excitement. I'm sure there are plenty of people stuck in flyover hell who would be grateful to live in such a "boring" place!

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 8:41 PM

[quote]a marine layer that hangs around till noon and then come back at 4

I would like one of those, please.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 8:43 PM

People talk about places being boring like we’re still traveling by stagecoach. Like living in the burbs outside of a city, fun is always a car ride away.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 8:43 PM

Sorry I don’t like the beach never have. I prefer living in big cities like Chicago or New York where I walk everywhere. San Diego is a nice place to visit but the whole beach culture doesn’t interest me

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 8:51 PM

It is boring unless you're into sports, the beach and suburban living. People in So. Cal go to L.A. or fly to SF for excitement. No one ever goes to San Diego except surfers.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 9:07 PM

[QUOTE] No one ever goes to San Diego except surfers.

Sounds good to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 9:16 PM

R11 -- where do those 18 million people live?

"As of the 2010 U.S. Census, the Los Angeles metropolitan area had a population of nearly 13 million residents. "

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 9:24 PM

There's a running joke in the weather business that being a weatherperson in San Diego is the easiest job in the world: "And here's Bob, with the weather. What's the weather for the week going to be like Bob?". "Nice. Back to you Mary."

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 9:27 PM

I don't surf and I go to SD several times a year. I go to LA too, but I don't find it relaxing at all. Pain in the ass every time to go from point A to point B. Haven't been back to SF since the 90's due to the shit on the sidewalks and the aggressive homeless zombies. LA homeless are almost as bad. Sure, SD has homeless too, but they are easy to avoid outside of downtown. You won't be chased or assaulted in La Jolla for not giving money to a crackhead.

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 9:43 PM

R11 It depends on where you live in "Los Angeles." For example, mid-afternoon, right now, and one will find it's a pleasant 82 in many parts of the Westside, and 70s right at the beach. But go over the hill to The Valley where that slut Brooke Logan is from, and there are reports of 101.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 9:44 PM

r27: In addition to the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area, the following Metropolitan Statistical Areas are also included in the Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA Combined Statistical Area (total pop. 18,788,800): Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area (854,223), Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area (4,580,670)

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 9:45 PM

I remember going to some beach, with kids not too far away. We were just gettung out of the car (beach was not far away) and as we walked to the beaxch, two young, hot surfers at their car stripped and stepped out of their suits (they had some sort of whole body suit deal) off with no warning and no fuss. No one cared. One of them had a nice big dangler, too.

I'm not a prude but even I was surprised at how relaxed they were about doing that.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 10:13 PM

The lime green area is the General Area of the Mediterranean Climate Zone, but the darker green areas within this area that run along coastal areas are the real sweet spots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 10:13 PM

Just a thought… There’s a big world out there… Can we fucking stop talking about California? Thx!

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 10:20 PM

The thread's about San Diego, R34.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 10:22 PM

Yawn

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 10:23 PM

Like we should maybe talk about the joys of Idaho, or the wonders of Iowa?

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 10:29 PM

R37 yes way more interesting

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 10:34 PM

I missed it. Was the corn in Iowa knee-high by the 4th of July this year?

And who else hates bread and butter pickles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 10:47 PM

It is called Cali by people who are from Cali.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 10:59 PM

Some microclimates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 10:59 PM

R40 Native California's hearing "Cali" and would think you're talking drug cartel in Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 11:03 PM

r40 It is not. You probably say "Frisco", too.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 11:03 PM

San Diego does have great weather, better than L.A., IMO. L.A. can get hot, not sweltering & humid, but hot.

San Diego weather makes you feel energetic, like you can accomplish something. It's not so cold that you just want to stay in. It's not so hot that you just want to find air conditioning (stay inside).

IMO, if you want to say "Cali," go ahead, but you will sound unsophisticated. Same with "Frisco" and "San Fran." "SF" is OK and "San Francisco" is OK, too.

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 11:21 PM

I grew up in the Bay Area, and no one ever referred to San Francisco as anything other than "The City."

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 11:34 PM

Hawaii has better weather. I've lived in both places and Hawaii beats any place on the entire west coast.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote] I grew up in the Bay Area, and no one ever referred to San Francisco as anything other than "The City."

R45, I'm not from the Bay Area, but I have lived in San Francisco (a city I still like a lot). With respect, I always thought it was pretentious to call SF "The City," as if there were no other cities you could be referring to. I also never liked, outside of the SF Bay Area, referring to the SFBA as "The Bay Area," as if there were no other places next to a famous bay.

by Anonymousreply 47August 2, 2020 12:04 AM

r47, you sound insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 48August 2, 2020 12:10 AM

MmmmmNnnnnnOooooo R40 - we don’t.

by Anonymousreply 49August 2, 2020 12:17 AM

I love these guys who pretend to know all about places they have maybe visited once or twice. But that is clearly sufficient to make pronouncements on the weather, the night life, and everything else... I'm a native Californian, lived here all my life, and I have never once heard anyone call it "Cali." But do go on, regale us with more fabulous stories from your remote youth!

by Anonymousreply 50August 2, 2020 12:35 AM

R50 exactly.. i grew up in Fontana.. in the IE. Never heard anyone say Cali.. nice try bitches

by Anonymousreply 51August 2, 2020 12:47 AM

Boring city, home of gay serial killers (Andrew Cunanan), and way too far from the East Coast, Caribbean, and Europe. So, hell no.

by Anonymousreply 52August 2, 2020 1:00 AM

I drove down to the nude beach, Blacks Beach, in La Jolla from LA last week for a day trip. It was awesome. I didn't realize the gay beach was further down so I needed up on the on the straight nude beach. Tons of college students, hot guys, and the water was fantastic. This one cut straight guy kept walking around with a boner. It was hot.I went during the week and it was easy to social distance, not be in a crowd.

SD is cool, but it feels a few years behind LA. Your option is basically La Jolla if you want to live the ideal SD life with the perfect weather - inland place like Rancho Bernardo are broiling hot. You also have to deal with the traffic, costs, and similar issues that can make LA a challenge in SD. The climates are not that different to make it worth living in SD instead of LA.

by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2020 1:08 AM

I used to love going to Black's Beach. I had sex with some HOT navy guys on that beach.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2020 1:21 AM

Is Balboa Park cruisy? Military?

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2020 1:21 AM

So many people commenting on here who have no clue what they’re talking about, Jesus,

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2020 10:10 PM

R56 is clearly new to Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2020 11:58 PM

Eureka sounds like my ideal. I hate hate hate weather over 70*. But no snow and Arctic cold, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 3, 2020 12:16 AM

I lived in San Diego - I don't know what some of these posters are talking about with the rain or temps in the 90's. They must have lived inland.

It hardly ever reaches 90 degrees in San Diego. I just returned there for a few days - the weather is pretty great. Yes, there is May gray/ June gloom, but that's the marine layer that comes in - it usually burns off by early afternoon in most cases. I can't believe people complain about it - so it's cloudy in the morning until noon. Big deal.

The traffic is NOT that bad in San Diego and is way better than Los Angeles. I get that it may not be 'exciting' and it's very laid back - but there comes a point in life where you want people but not a lot of big crowds, constant traffic, etc.

Also, it is very lush in the landscape - a lot more green and beautiful than LA.

Most of the LA area is ugly and not anyplace you would want to live. Take away the beach cities and the wealthy west/north basin areas, and you're left with a relatively small area that is fun and 'exciting' to live in. But still a pain in the ass to get around. LA is not a peaceful place to live.

by Anonymousreply 59August 3, 2020 12:30 AM

r58 Eureka is miles from ANYTHING. It's very bleak. A friend of mine visited her aunt there for the summer and said the sun never came out once.

by Anonymousreply 60August 3, 2020 4:52 AM

r47 I agree with you about the pretension of "The City," especially since SF is not even the largest city in the Bay Area. (San Jose is.) Remember when the Warriors used "The City" on their jerseys? Odd since at the time they played in Oakland, and their team name doesn't even refer to San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 3, 2020 4:55 AM

San Diego is LA's basic bitch cousin.

by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2020 5:30 AM

Weather for Dummies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 3, 2020 10:10 PM

I lived in San Diego for a year and I found the weather was not all that great, cool and foggy a lot of days. Not at all what I expected. Yes. It was also dull and lifeless and the traffic horrendous. I was very happy to leave. I did have some great Mexican food though.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2020 1:13 AM

R64 I feel the same way. I lived there for a year… In North Park. I had high expectations… Which isnt palways the best thing.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2020 1:41 AM

R65 * always

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2020 1:42 AM

r63 I'd always heard that New Zealand's climate was similar to California's, but that's not reflected on that map.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2020 2:35 AM

For a while in the SF Chronicle (or maybe it was the Examiner) letters to the editor from readers residing in San Francisco were indicated as John Doe, The City.

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2020 2:50 AM

R67 New Zealand is classified as "temperate oceanic" climate.

There could be a coastal section of Northern California that is similar -- the area referred to as "Marine West Coast Climate" in the map at R33 -- but this isn't the same as the climate we're talking about for San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2020 5:35 AM

Lived in San Diego and now an hour north in Dana Point. Originally from East Coast by way of Chicago. The weather in San Diego is the best I've ever experienced anywhere. It works for me. I wouldn't live anywhere. Spend a few months here and you'll know.

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2020 5:50 AM

wouldn't live anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2020 5:51 AM

Gosh isn't that just Republican City where you live?

by Anonymousreply 72August 4, 2020 6:22 AM

Dana Point, ew. Deplorables there. Too many Rethugs.

by Anonymousreply 73August 4, 2020 4:45 PM

R73 It's dreamy. Surfers, old hippies, folks whose families go back to the pre Mission era in San Juan Capistrano. Haven't met too many rethugs. A bit more than DC for sure. But wouldn't live anywhere else. To each his own, and for me I found my spot.

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2020 5:59 AM

Aren't there a lot of gay porn stars who live there?

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2020 6:11 AM

San Diego is not a bunch of deplorables. Yes its government tends to be republican because of the strong military presence but its not as conservative as the bible belt. Its very progressive on social issues and as one poster pointed out has a lot of hippies as well.

by Anonymousreply 76August 6, 2020 1:12 AM

What I love about San Diego is the laid backness without the pretentiousness of LA. And I don't care what anyone says, ppl in California are nicer that the east coast even in the "hood" areas.

by Anonymousreply 77August 6, 2020 1:14 AM

R77 100% agree.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2020 6:30 AM

R74 Dana Point was one of the rethug cities in the O.C. that tried to sue the state over Newsom's order that the beaches remain closed during the first lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2020 5:13 PM

R79 Lots of different people here. Not sure about Rethugs, but don't fuck with people's beaches. Live next to a bunch of surfers and they never missed a day. Apparently, it wasn't widely enforced after the first day.

by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2020 9:51 PM

water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink!

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2020 9:57 PM

Another week of perfect sunny high 60’s weather in San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2021 3:36 PM

Don't tease the unfortunate, R82. It has, in fact, been gray and dreary in San Diego for the last couple of weeks, with scattered light rain in the wee hours. We complain and turn on the heat at night, but the truth is we live in a mild climate, with generally mild weather. And we pay through the roof for it!

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2021 4:21 PM

OK. Education time:

Parts of Los Angeles have the same climate.

All of central Mexico has it also.

That is, draw a line from Monterrey to Durango to Puebla and back to Monterrey.

That triangle would mostly encompass the "Eternal Spring Zone", but note that it reaches

out side of that area also. The above mentioned triangle would encompass the following

cities: Monterrey, San Luis Potosi, Queretaro, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Leon, Morelia,

Lake Chapala, Guadalajara, Durango, Aquascalientes, Zacatecas, Mexico City, Pachuca, Cuernavaca,

Puebla, and Queretaro. Plus those outside of the triangle: Oaxaca city, Tuxtla Guitierrez, and

San Critobal de las Casas.

by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2021 5:09 PM

San Diego has the hottest guys in the nation.

by Anonymousreply 85March 3, 2021 8:46 AM

R17 Since when is killing animals, a sport?

by Anonymousreply 86March 3, 2021 9:22 AM

R70 Dana Point is closer to LA than to San Diego

by Anonymousreply 87March 3, 2021 9:23 AM

Is this the place where they torture whales and dolphins?

by Anonymousreply 88March 3, 2021 9:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!