Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

.. How did Bea Arthur feel about Betty and Estelle continuing to be nominated for The Golden Girls

After she and Rue were left in the dust after Season 4? Much has been made of Bea's belief she was more of the star and her rumored bitterness over Betty and Rue winning the Lead Emmy before she did.

Any record of how she reacted to being snubbed for the last 3 years of the show when her "underlings" still got the recognition..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2020 2:33 AM

She shit in their wigs.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 4:23 PM

If she were still alive, I think would be more concerned about the fact that an elder queen is posting a question about a show from 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 4:23 PM

R2 Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 4:25 PM

r2 is why I still come to DL

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 4:27 PM

Give me graphic details of her anger and humiliation! Port her emotions directly into my spinal cortex, please.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 4:29 PM

Bea has 2 Emmys

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 4:30 PM

It was an open secret in Hollywood that Bea was a very bitter woman. She was resentful of Betty's popularity.

She was especially bitter about her long-time friend Angela Lansbury's success when Murder, She Wrote became a huge hit, because Angela was the sole star and didn't have to share the success with anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 4:32 PM

R7 Is that why she never guested on MSW and vice-versa? I've always thought that Lansbury could have been included in that murder mystery weekend episode.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 4:36 PM

R7 what did she say to Angela?

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 4:39 PM

Rue should definitely have been nominated for the "Rusty Anchor" episode

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 4:43 PM

She did the only thing she knew how to do. She drank more.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 4:45 PM

I’ll bet it drove her insane.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 4:47 PM

People forget that Bea's mother, with whom she was very close, died just a month after GG premiered. That may explain partly why she was so cranky on that show and turned to drink more.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 4:49 PM

R7, she said "I could vomit just looking at you"

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 4:52 PM

Poor Angie never win an Emmy though

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 4:54 PM

Every had to tread lightly through Every NBC Dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 5:12 PM

She was first on the call sheet. She got paid the most. And she got a sweetheart deal in seasons 6 and 7. I don't think she was bitter. She may have been disappointed that her peers didn't acknowledge her work on the show, but bitter is a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 5:15 PM

Too lazy to do the research, but who the hell was being nominated and winning over the GG back then?

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 6:18 PM

Candice Bergen won three, and Kirstie Alley won once.

Blair Brown (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd), Delta Burke (Designing Women) and Marion Ross (Brooklyn Bridge) also earned nominations over Bea and Rue for the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 6:30 PM

Also, for the final season of The Golden Girls, Roseanne earned her first nomination, and Tyne Daly got in for a guest appearance on Wings (no, really).

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 6:31 PM

I know she hated Betty.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 6:36 PM

R20 no Tyne did not

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 7:24 PM

R21 she supposedly did not hate her at all, just "did not care for her."

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 7:29 PM

She did, R22. In 1992, the Emmys ditched the Guest Categories and nominated performers in either lead or supporting categories, so there were a lot of screwy nominations that year.

Did you think someone would really make that up? And about a Tyne Daly nomination for Wings, of all things?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 7:32 PM

R24 you’re a fucking liar! That’s a lie from hell! You’re obviously demon possessed! Get out of the Datalounge now!!! I won’t stand for this evil, in the name of Jesus! Tyne Daly is evil and I won’t hear Bea be disparaged! Get out!!!!

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 7:41 PM

Bea ruined Joan Rivers's white dining room because of her nasty, drunken behavior. Everybody who knew Bea has talked about how mean she could be at times.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 7:54 PM

Murder She Contemplated

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 7:56 PM

Did they laugh at Angela being nominated every year and never winning?

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 7:59 PM

Maybe Bea thought Betty was fake or something. Maybe Bea was in love with Allen Ludden and Betty stole him away. Maybe Betty always got the mini Milky Ways from the craft services table before Bea could get any.

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 8:03 PM

They might have r28 so I’ll say “yes!”

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 8:37 PM

By that point I had 4 Tonys, a Grammy and 6 Golden Globes. Plus I was the highest paid woman on TV and the STAR! Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 8:39 PM

Everybody knows that Bea was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 9:12 PM

“Bea screwed up!” squealed Betty.

“I did,” responded Bea, daggers flashing behind her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 9:18 PM

Betty would have been one annoying bitch to work with. Hamming it up, not a real actress.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 10:11 PM

Betty was sort of the class clown on set, whereas Bea was the straight-A student. OF course, they clashed, but I don't think it was a feud like so many suspect. I think Betty just got on Bea's nerves., who just wanted to do her job and then go home. Betty's antics would hold up the process.

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 2:25 AM

In 1992, Kelsey Grammer was also nominated for Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for doing his 'Frasier Crane" shtick on WINGS. So, that show got two lead acting Emmys for two guest-starring roles in one year.

by Anonymousreply 36August 2, 2020 2:28 AM

R34 she know how to take a joke just as well as she gave, so not really. She’s just a great sport who never took herself too seriously.

I love them both.

by Anonymousreply 37August 2, 2020 2:28 AM

Those were the show's only two Emmy nods. Ever. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 38August 2, 2020 2:28 AM

Rue confirmed that Bea was angry that she wasn’t getting nominated over Betty. She also said Bea did not like being part of an ensemble.

Bea was a massive drunk confirmed by both Joan Rivers and Miss Coco Peru. She also used to walk the streets without shoes. She was a really weird person. She was also a terror on the set of a Golden Girls with the rest of the cast always having to apologize to guest actors for her behavior.

by Anonymousreply 39August 2, 2020 2:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!