Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Great film performances that shockingly were not Oscar nominated

Donald Sutherland’s snub for Ordinary People was particularly egregious. Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton received most of the attention, but Sutherland is heartbreaking and really just perfect in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374October 15, 2020 7:03 PM

We need to start The Datalounge Awards, for all those unheralded performances through the ages.

Here is my initial design for the statuette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 12:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 1:08 PM

Kathy Bates in Dolores Claiborne

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 1:27 PM

Totally agree with your assessment of Sutherland in Ordinary People, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 1:31 PM

Björk - Dancer in the Dark

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 1:33 PM

Connie Francis in Looking For Love. A moving dramatic performance with comedic elements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 1:36 PM

R3 She's actually better in that, than in "Misery". It's one of my all-time favorite films. If they'd released it later in the year (instead of March), she absolutely would've been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 1:36 PM

R5- Bjork WAS nominated for Dancer In The Dark

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 1:39 PM

R8, not for an acting Oscar, no.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 1:43 PM

R8 for Best Original Song

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 1:45 PM

Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman took most of the press for Les Mis, but Eddie Redmayne should’ve received more acknowledgement as Marius. His rendition of “Empty Chairs...” wrecked me. I found it far more emotionally resonant than Hathaway’s number.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 1:46 PM

I would give Donald Sutherland an Oscar every time he walked into a room. Brilliant actor. Also, thanks to poster above for giving Redmayne some long-delayed kudos; he's very good.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 3:00 PM

Alberts Finney and Diane Keaton for Shoot the Moon. RIP Alan Parker.

Sissy Spacek and Whoopi Goldberg in The Long Walk Home.

Kathleen Turner in Body Heat, Crimes of Passion, and War of the Roses.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 3:07 PM

*Albert

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 3:08 PM

R13, Kathleen Turner for The War of the Roses is a great choice.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 3:08 PM

Robert Shaw in Jaws

Cary Grant in The Awful Truth, Bringing Up Baby, Arsenic and Old Lace, North by Northwest (the Academy didn’t seem to like Cary Grant in a typical Cary Grant role)

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 3:16 PM

Buck would never have been snubbed!

(Sorry, obligatory.)

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive. Gene Hackman in The Royal Tenenbaums.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 3:30 PM

Richard Widmark in NIGHT AND THE CITY (1950) - a classic film noir anchored by Widmark's desperate, manic performance as a doomed hustler trying to organize a big ticket wrestling match.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 3:42 PM

Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers

any of the women in Cries and Whispers

Giancarlo Giannini in Seven Beauties

Chiwetel Ejiofor in Kinky Boots

Robert Walker in Strangers on a Train

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 3:43 PM

Gillian Anderson in The House of Mirth. It’s still one of my all-time favorite performances.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 3:44 PM

[quote]Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers

Definitely. Brilliant work. And while we're on a Cronenberg kick, can I add Jeff Goldblum in The Fly? I don't know that it's a "shocking" snub, given the Academy's distaste for genre films, but Goldblum was spectacular in it; arguably his best work ever.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 3:47 PM

r18, totally agree with you on Widmark

Also: Susan Peters in Sign of the Ram

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 3:50 PM

Brian Cox in L.I.E

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 3:51 PM

John Savage for The Deer Hunter. He should have won BSA that year.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 3:57 PM

John Savage for Inside Moves.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 4:00 PM

Karen Black for The Day of the Locust.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 4:01 PM

Donald Sutherland has never been nominated for an Oscar. Not for anything he's done.

He's great in Ordinary People, but he's even better in Day of the Locust.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 4:02 PM

Cary Grant in "An Affair to Remember" -- His scene where he sees his painting on the wall and figures out what's happened to Deborah Kerr is quite heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 4:04 PM

[quote] Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers

You mean Bette Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 4:14 PM

R27 I think there was a degree of political backlash against Donald for his staunch liberal politics. The Academy has always skewed conservative.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 4:15 PM

[R29] Bette's a hoot in that! A master class in hammy star acting. She certainly knew what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 4:15 PM

[R30] They've "skewed conservative" in what world? You must joking. They didn't seem to be bothered by Jane Fonda in that regard. You're making an assumption out of thin air.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 4:17 PM

R30 is correct and the one thin exception offered by R32 proves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 4:20 PM

Apropos of nothing, I have always found Donald Sutherland incredibly sexy

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 4:21 PM

R13 fun fact: Albert Finney has never bothered to show up to an Oscar ceremony, even when he was nominated. A lot of actors pretend not to give a shit about awards but he actually walked the walk. That’s probably why he never won the damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 4:23 PM

Terence Stamp as Bernadette in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Brilliant characterization of an aging, bitter drag queen. He steals the movie.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 4:25 PM

Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby. Her performance was phenomenal and she wasn't even nominated. I don't know why she didn't go on to become a huge star?

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 4:35 PM

[R33] Vanessa Redgrave is another example. The Academy is hardly conservative.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 4:39 PM

John Garfield and Phyllis Thaxter in The Breaking Point

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 4:39 PM

Pam Grier and Samuel L Jackson in Jackie Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 5:22 PM

Ruth Gordon for Harold and Maude. I'm not a huge fan of the film but she was amazing in it.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 6:25 PM

R3, I would add Judy Parfitt and David Strathairn to the list for CLAIBORNE. Especially Parfitt.

I think Fonda got more of a pass for her politics vs. Sutherland based on her family name and pedigree. Same for Redgrave.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 6:34 PM

Nicole Kidman in To Die For.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 6:48 PM

Edward G. Robinson in Scarlet Street

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 7:48 PM

Julianne Moore for Magnolia. "Shame on you!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 8:09 PM

Meryl for The Hours

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 8:20 PM

Jamie Foxx in Django. Such a nuanced performance.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 8:25 PM

Helen Mirren for Cal

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 8:34 PM

Everybody in Kubrick’s Lolita - James Mason, Shelley Winters, Sue Lyon, and Peter Sellers. Adrian Lyne’s version is more faithful and more explicit, but in this case less results in a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 8:37 PM

From Muriel's Wedding:

Toni Collette, for Best Actress; and Jeanie Drynan (as Muriel's mother), for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 8:46 PM

[quote]Jeanie Drynan (as Muriel's mother), for Best Supporting Actress

YES! I thought she was brilliant in that role. Really heartbreaking.

Definitely agree with Judy Parfitt in Dolores Claiborne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 8:50 PM

Tilda Swinton in Suspiria she is a true chameleon it's a shame the only thing the Academy has recognised her for was Michael Clayton

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 8:52 PM

My amazing husband Will Smith in all his movies!!! You're racist if you disagree! #oscarsowhite #wiveswithgayhusbands #mykidshavespecialneeds

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2020 9:03 PM

R42 I did a small research project on Kathy Bates in college. Being a huge fan of the film, I spent a little more time on that one. Anyway, in the process I read that Straithairn didn't think his performance was very successful. Insane. He and Parfitt both were also outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2020 9:07 PM

R50 yes for Jeanie Drynun as Muriel's mother. She made me feel so sad as a moody teenager I started being nicer to my mum! Heartbreakingly great.

by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2020 11:03 PM

DL favorite John Travolta playing a fat Southern presidential candidate like Bill Clinton in Primary Colors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2020 11:19 PM

What a look, I buy it completely, and what a cast too!

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2020 11:26 PM

I'm surprised that Sutherland has never been nominated. He's often been really good in supporting parts--the priest in "Heaven Help Us", the lecherous prof in "Animal House". He really doesn't have much to do in "Ordinary People". He was better playing a sympathetic part in "Klute". Judd Hirsch was miscast as the therapist in Ordinary people. Hutton and Moore deserved the attention they got because they carried the film.

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2020 12:09 AM

Farrow in Rosemary's Baby---she was her usual waifish self. Sandy Dennis would have been much better---her usual twitchy existential dread would have been a better fit and she would prevented Cassavetes and Ruth Gordon from walking off with the movie.

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2020 12:11 AM

After receiving 5 nominations in the 80s, it was a little surprising to me that Glenn Close wasn’t nominated for Reversal of Fortune. I thought it was a terrific performance. There might have been some category confusion.

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2020 12:15 AM

Sharon Stone in Sliver

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2020 12:18 AM

Zelda Rubinstein in Poltergeist.

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2020 12:22 AM

Donald Sutherland is really underrated. He starred in some of the best movies of the '70s - Don't Look Now, Klute, M*A*S*H, and the '78 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (seriously, his last scene in the latter is brilliant and iconic).

As excellent as Moore and Hutton are in Ordinary People, I feel it's Sutherland who has the biggest job of holding everything together. HIs final scene is really what the whole film has been leading up to and his revelation to Moore is perhaps the best scene in the film - and the kind of scene one would have as their Oscar clip.

He was also brilliant in the recent limited series, Trust, as J. Paul Getty. Completely eccentric and intimidating.

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2020 12:33 AM

Jlo for Hustlers

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2020 12:39 AM

Cher for Mask.

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2020 1:31 AM

Tony Curtis in Sweet Smell of Success

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2020 1:31 AM

R63 he’s one of my mother’s favorite actors and her favorite movie he was in is Eye of the Needle. Which I’ve never seen have you? How is it?

And I agree he holds the movie together and that scene is crucial. Huge omission that year.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2020 1:35 AM

Jim Carrey for 3 movies: Truman Show, Man on the Moon, and Eternal Sunshine..... A case could also be made for I Love You, Phillip Morris.

Funny, I always disliked him on In Living Color, and then the comedic movies like Cable Guy where he was over-the-top and just, ich.....suddenly LOVED him in Truman Show, and then on....

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2020 1:37 AM

Piper Laurie - Carrie

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2020 1:37 AM

It’s not a shock that he wasn’t nominated, since it was a independent film, but I wish James Spader had been nominated for sex, lies, and videotape.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2020 1:38 AM

Shit R67- I started watching Eye Of The Needle on Amazon prime in April and stopped after 10 minutes!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2020 1:38 AM

R71 really??!? I thought it was some underrated suspense movie. Good to know, I won’t waste my time.

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2020 1:40 AM

Well now I want to start again!!!!!!!!! The first 10 minutes was gory and it was clear Sutherland was a maniac!! I didn't want to see him like that!

by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2020 1:47 AM

I wonder whatever happened to Kate Nelligan? She hasn't acted in anything in years.

by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2020 1:52 AM

I liked Eye of the Needle

by Anonymousreply 75August 2, 2020 1:52 AM

If they had nominated Sutherland for Ordinary People, they would have had to bump Tim Hutton up to the category in which he actually belonged, Best Actor. Three best supporting actors from the same movie, when one was clearly the lead? No.

Tim Hutton would not have beat DeNiro in Raging Bull, and everyone wanted Tim to win, so...Best Supporting Actor.

I would have voted for him as Best Actor, but I don't get to vote.

by Anonymousreply 76August 2, 2020 1:59 AM

Lucille Ball in Mame

by Anonymousreply 77August 2, 2020 2:03 AM

Robert Preston in "The Music Man". Only probably one of the greatest male musical comedy performances ever.

by Anonymousreply 78August 2, 2020 2:21 AM

Eye of the Needle is a hoot with Donald as an over-the-top Nazi spy. He has an awkward sex scene with Kate Nelligan but is funny when he kills people or falls into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 79August 2, 2020 2:29 AM

Donald Trump in Home Alone 2. The evil liberals in the Academy wouldn't know good acting if it bit them in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 80August 2, 2020 2:30 AM

R19 Giannini was deservedly nominated for "Seven Beauties".

by Anonymousreply 81August 2, 2020 2:34 AM

Samuel O Toole in Fuck My Hole. Incredible actor.

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2020 3:21 AM

Steve Forrest for Mommie Dearest. Best Shower Scene nominee!

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2020 3:29 AM

Scatman Crothers for The Shining

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2020 4:02 AM

Patricia Collinge for Shadow of a Doubt

Ian Holm for Dreamchild

Kate Winslet for Heavenly Creatures

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2020 4:15 AM

r69, Piper Laurie WAS nominated for an Oscar for "Carrie."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2020 4:16 AM

Van Heflin - The Prowler

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2020 4:19 AM

Toni Colette in "Hereditary"

Catherine O'Hara in "For Your Consideration"

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2020 4:21 AM

Don Knotts in The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2020 4:32 AM

Agree with the Cronenberg comments - he really knows how to get food performances out of actors. Samantha Eggar in the Brood was memorable.

I’d add Tim Curry for Rocky Horror for creating such a memorable, indelible, vibrant character.

And I’d swap Bill Murray’s nominations to Rushmore, where he’s really fantastic.

For another film where one actor completely made/defined the whole film - Jon Heder for Napoleon Dynamite. He’s incredibly funny, it’s an iconic and brave performance, and no one ever rewards comedies.

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2020 4:51 AM

George Macready - Gilda

by Anonymousreply 91August 2, 2020 4:55 AM

To many to list--the most immediate ones that come to mind are Laura Dern in Inland Empire and Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive. Definitely better than Halle Berry's performance.

by Anonymousreply 92August 2, 2020 5:01 AM

Andy Griffith in "A Face in the Crowd."

by Anonymousreply 93August 2, 2020 5:29 AM

Jon Heder is a dynamite suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 94August 2, 2020 5:52 AM

The fact Kirsten Dunst didn't even get a nom for Melancholia is a fucking travesty. That year Meryl won for maybe one of her worst performances of all time in The Iron Lady. That belongs to KiKi.

by Anonymousreply 95August 2, 2020 6:05 AM

[quote]R74 I wonder whatever happened to Kate Nelligan? She hasn't acted in anything in years.

I don’t know if she got help, but at one time she was considered alcoholic, and “difficult.”

by Anonymousreply 96August 2, 2020 6:16 AM

Why must EVERYTHING be a contest?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 2, 2020 6:18 AM

^^ Faye should've been nominated for Mommie Dearest. Not joking.

by Anonymousreply 98August 2, 2020 6:21 AM

Ian Holm and Sarah Polley for “the Sweet Hereafter”.

by Anonymousreply 99August 2, 2020 6:23 AM

Kate Nelligan and Mimi Rogers are two who have been overlooked and underrated over the years.

Nelligan's only Oscar nomination was for The Prince of Tides (yuk). She should've been selected for Eye of the Needle, Frankie and Johnny and The Cider House Rules.

Rogers has never been nominated, but should've been for The Rapture. It might have helped given her career a needed boost at the time.

by Anonymousreply 100August 2, 2020 6:27 AM

Dame Maggie Smith for "The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne". She won the BAFTA for this performance, and rightly so. But not even a nomination for the Oscar. That was a mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 2, 2020 6:53 AM

R96 that’s right she was in it too (I never saw it but she was one of my mom’s favorite actresses at the time, so no wonder she loved this movie), but actually Without a Trace (with Kate Nelligan AND Judd Hirsch, so we’re really coming full circle here) was on Retro Cable channel today and I had it on in the background. My parents took me to see this movie when I had just turned 5, are they nuts?

Anyway I hadn’t seen any of this movie in years and I forgot Stockard Channing was in it — but wtf was she doing playing second fiddle to Kate Nelligan?

by Anonymousreply 102August 2, 2020 7:08 AM

Yeah, Kate Nelligan had an interesting career. She was in Dracula, Eye of the Needle, Without a Trace and Eleni. All leading roles. And then her career cools for a bit until the early '90s when it revives with Frankie and Johnny and Prince of Tides. And then by '93, she's starring in crap like Fatal Instinct and a few more years of credits and then disappears.

I agree should have been nominated for F&J. While I love Prince of Tides, it's VERY hammy.

by Anonymousreply 103August 2, 2020 7:16 AM

Trailer for Eye of the Needle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 2, 2020 8:06 AM

Melvyn Douglas in Ninotchka. He was perfect opposite Garbo - gentle and romantic yet still masculine.

by Anonymousreply 105August 2, 2020 8:12 AM

Even though he’s only in it for about 10 min, Steven Hill should have gotten a nom for Running on Empty. That restaurant scene was incredible. Speaking of which, Christine Lahti should have been nominated as well.

Lily Taylor for Say Anything, Dogfight, Girls Town, and/or I Shot Andy Warhol. Really anything she’s done, she’s criminally underrated.

Guy Pierce in Memento.

by Anonymousreply 106August 2, 2020 9:08 AM

Kevin Kline in In and Out (1997)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 2, 2020 1:28 PM

[quote]R19 Giannini was deservedly nominated for "Seven Beauties".

For some reason I thought her was egregiously overlooked since it's a foreign film (and an amazing one at that).

[quote]Agree with the Cronenberg comments - he really knows how to get food performances out of actors.

Yeah, you know I'd even add the despised James Woods in Videodrome as giving a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 108August 2, 2020 1:33 PM

[quote] Speaking of which, Christine Lahti should have been nominated as well.

She should have been nominated for "Housekeeping" as well, one of the most overlooked films ever. She deservedly won the NY Film Critics award for it that year, but that was the only major award the film received.

by Anonymousreply 109August 2, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] The fact Kirsten Dunst didn't even get a nom for Melancholia is a fucking travesty. That year Meryl won for maybe one of her worst performances of all time in The Iron Lady. That belongs to KiKi.

KiKi was being punished for those crazy Hitler jokes (or were they?) Lars von Trier made at Cannes. She'd easily snag a nomination without those comments.

by Anonymousreply 110August 2, 2020 1:41 PM

Tony Lo Bianco for The Honeymoon Killers. He should get one for acting and another for filling a swim suit.

Shirley Stoler, too, for that matter. But just for the acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2020 1:55 PM

Tony Lo Bianco for The Honeymoon Killers. He should get one for acting and another for filling a swim suit.

Shirley Stoler, too, for that matter. But just for the acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2020 1:55 PM

R111 - I didn't realize he was good looking when he was young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 2, 2020 1:59 PM

Indeed, he was. He's incredibly hot throughout this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 2, 2020 2:11 PM

Indeed, he was. He's incredibly hot throughout this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 2, 2020 2:11 PM

[quote]R106 Lily Taylor for Say Anything, Dogfight, Girls Town, and/or I Shot Andy Warhol. Really anything she’s done, she’s criminally underrated.

Household Saints!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 2, 2020 2:54 PM

^ Yes! I almost forgot how great she was in that also!

by Anonymousreply 117August 2, 2020 3:22 PM

Roddy McDowell for Cleopatra,

Sean Penn for The Assassination of Richard Nixon,

Michael Shannon for Take Shelter,

Samuel L. Jackson for Jungle Fever (so good that Cannes created a special award for him).

by Anonymousreply 118August 2, 2020 3:49 PM

Dennis Quaid, Patricia Clarkson, Denise Haysbett, and DL fav Viola Davis for FAR FROM HEAVEN.

They all were excellent in their supporting roles!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 2, 2020 3:59 PM

Robert Preston - The Music Man. Shirley MacLaine - Postcards From The Edge. Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler. Phyllis Somerville - Little Children. Robin Williams - The Fisher King. Liza Minnelli - New York New York. Plus, of course, Donald Sutherland for both Ordinary People and Day Of The Locust.

by Anonymousreply 120August 2, 2020 4:32 PM

I had no idea Robert Preston wasn’t nominated for The Music Man. I always assumed he won. His performance in that was one of the all-time greats.

by Anonymousreply 121August 2, 2020 4:34 PM

Agnes Moorehead for Dark Passage

by Anonymousreply 122August 2, 2020 4:43 PM

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 123August 2, 2020 4:44 PM

R102- I don't think Without a Trace was a film released in theaters.. I think it was an HBO film?

by Anonymousreply 124August 2, 2020 4:57 PM

Joseph Cotten, Agnes Moorehead, Dolores Costello, Anne Baxter and Tim Holt for "The Magnificent Ambersons". I think, even in its truncated form, in some ways it is even better than "Citizen Kane". Of course, Tim Holt's selfish character who everyone wishes would get his comeuppance is kind of a template for Orange Cheetolini today.

by Anonymousreply 125August 2, 2020 4:59 PM

Sorry R102- I just checked IMDB. I am wrong. I watched that film on HBO all the time as a kid. I was probably 7!!! I watched it over and over and I think that is why I thought it was an HBO movie. Just like that Just Between Friends starring Carol Burnett. I watched that all the time around the same time.

Kidnappings were such a big topic in the early-mid 80's and Without a Trace was scary as hell to me.

The happy ending WAS bullshit, but I recall Nelligan and the chick from Grease giving great performances..

by Anonymousreply 126August 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Without a Trace was released in theaters in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 127August 2, 2020 5:04 PM

Definitely Agnes Moorhead in "The Magnificent Ambersons"--that is one of the greatest performances ever on film. It didn;t get the love it deserved because the studio released it as a B-picture.

Dolores Costello also deserved a nomination. It is such a subtle role, and she brings out all the subtleties.

by Anonymousreply 128August 2, 2020 5:11 PM

Gore Vidal said in "Myra Breckenridge" that no one during the Golden Age of Hollywood had a better ass than Tim Holt.

by Anonymousreply 129August 2, 2020 5:12 PM

Moorehead was nominated for Ambersons.

by Anonymousreply 130August 2, 2020 5:25 PM

Chaplin in City Lights

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 2, 2020 5:44 PM

R120 - Robin Williams was nominated for The Fisher King. Jeff Bridges was the one who was ignored - as usual - for his superior, alas far more subtle, turn.

by Anonymousreply 132August 2, 2020 6:14 PM

Mila Kunis in Black Swan over Natalie Portman. Portman did her same crying routine as usual. Mila was the only interesting character in the entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 133August 2, 2020 6:15 PM

Doris Day for "Love Me or Leave Me"

by Anonymousreply 134August 2, 2020 6:25 PM

Olivia Newton-John in "Two of a Kind."

by Anonymousreply 135August 2, 2020 6:36 PM

Rock Hudson for Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971).

by Anonymousreply 136August 2, 2020 6:36 PM

Wasn't that supposed to have included Rock's first nude scene? Was it ever shown or was it cut?

by Anonymousreply 137August 2, 2020 7:03 PM

Seriously, Rock Hudson for Seconds (1966)

by Anonymousreply 138August 2, 2020 7:04 PM

Burt Reynolds for Deliverance.

by Anonymousreply 139August 2, 2020 7:05 PM

Anthony Hopkins in Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 140August 2, 2020 7:31 PM

R140, wrong Anthony. No fava beans for you.

by Anonymousreply 141August 2, 2020 7:35 PM

Maybe Anthony Hopkins in "A Chorus of Disapproval"--he's very funny, one of his very best among those of his performances that I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 142August 2, 2020 7:40 PM

One Oscar-nominated performance, not really talked about much these days, was Bobby Darin in "Captain Newman M.D". Darin was absolutely terrific in that film, quite heartbreaking in fact, especially in his scenes opposite star Gregory Peck. Eddie Albert was also terrific, playing a very different type of role than I'd ever seen him in.

by Anonymousreply 143August 2, 2020 7:56 PM

Christian Bale for "Empire of the Sun"

by Anonymousreply 144August 2, 2020 8:26 PM

I meant Anthony Perkins in Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 145August 2, 2020 8:35 PM

Edward Norton in Fight Club.

by Anonymousreply 146August 2, 2020 8:51 PM

Sutherland is creepy by nature. The originally cast Tom Skerritt with his easy smile would have been better.

by Anonymousreply 147August 2, 2020 9:05 PM

Why'd Tom Skerritt leave the film?

by Anonymousreply 148August 2, 2020 9:19 PM

Here would be some of my choices from the first decade or so when they nominated some real schlock:

Garbo in A Woman of Affairs—Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby—Myrna Loy in The Thin Man—Dietrich in The Scarlet Empress—Leslie Howard in Of Human Bondage—Bogart in Dead End and Black Legion

by Anonymousreply 149August 2, 2020 9:31 PM

Bette Davis - Of Human Bondage

by Anonymousreply 150August 2, 2020 10:03 PM

Christopher Atkins for The Blue Lagoon (1980).

by Anonymousreply 151August 2, 2020 10:47 PM

Tom Skerrit has a certain Dickensian appeal I would have found quite refreshing in a husband. I am sure he's a better golf partner too.

by Anonymousreply 152August 2, 2020 10:58 PM

Tuesday Weld for “Pretty Poison”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 2, 2020 11:57 PM

Miriam Margolyes for The Age of Innocence. She won a BAFTA for that supporting performance, but wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 154August 3, 2020 12:03 AM

Marianne Sagebracht and CCH Pounder (both) for "Bagdad Cafe"

by Anonymousreply 155August 3, 2020 12:07 AM

Juliette Binoche for a bunch of roles that are not the English Patient.

by Anonymousreply 156August 3, 2020 12:07 AM

Alfre Woodard for "H.E.A.L.T.H."

by Anonymousreply 157August 3, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote]R154 Miriam Margolyes for The Age of Innocence. She won a BAFTA for that supporting performance, but wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

[bold]#NeverForgiveNeverForget

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 3, 2020 12:14 AM

Isabelle Huppert for Violette Noziere

by Anonymousreply 159August 3, 2020 12:14 AM

R131 City Lights will be on TCM on Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 160August 3, 2020 12:26 AM

R110, I remember that. As if that douchebag director's insane opinions should have anything to do with KiKi's performance. This was years before cancel culture!

by Anonymousreply 161August 3, 2020 12:45 AM

R54 david stratharin in Dolores Claiborne was a weak link in the film. I thought this is the abusive dude she’s afraid of? So i can’t agree with him being ignored. I’m shocked Gena Rowlands doesn’t have 3 oscars: woman Under the influence, gloria & the notebook (janes garner as well for notebook) one last one: i loved Jane fonda in the morning after but maybe her performance didn’t age well.

by Anonymousreply 162August 3, 2020 1:01 AM

Fonda was nominated for "The Morning After". I thought she was great in that role.

by Anonymousreply 163August 3, 2020 1:08 AM

R102 stockard said she was given great parts in movies- all flops. Her movie career wad dead after that it girl moment. She was given Grease & was glad for it. She said she took anything after that (even a tv show) before leaving it for reinvention on broadway. I was surprised she was so open about it in the interview. she comes from money

by Anonymousreply 164August 3, 2020 1:13 AM

R163 oh cool! didn’t know that.

by Anonymousreply 165August 3, 2020 1:15 AM

R35 Finney won an Emmy, plus multiple golden globes and BAFTAs.

by Anonymousreply 166August 3, 2020 1:15 AM

Last year, Alfre Woodard and Aldis Hodge for "Clemency."

Michael B. Jordan, incredible in "Fruitvale Station."

Kristin Thomas in I Have Loved You So Long

by Anonymousreply 167August 3, 2020 1:59 AM

Darryl Hannah for Wall Street (1987).

by Anonymousreply 168August 3, 2020 2:02 AM

Tilda Swinton was terrible as the man in suspiria but she was flawless in I Am Love

by Anonymousreply 169August 3, 2020 2:03 AM

Sophie Thompson in Emma (the 90s one). She just breaks your heart in this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 3, 2020 2:04 AM

R163 I think it’s one of her best performances! It’s different for her and she shows a lot of humor which people always accuse her of not having.

Movie is iffy though.

by Anonymousreply 171August 3, 2020 2:08 AM

Kevin Spacey for K-PAX (2000).

by Anonymousreply 172August 3, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote]R163 Fonda was nominated for "The Morning After". I thought she was great in that role.

She IS great in that. I love the way she says, “I was even [italic]good.”[/italic]

I wonder if she was sipping real wine in this scene - she plays fuzzy/tipsy so well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 3, 2020 2:33 AM

Olivia as Kira in Xanadu because they had to reward Sissy Spacek as Nell... i mean as Loretta Lynn

by Anonymousreply 174August 3, 2020 5:15 AM

Fonda said she was really drunk in The Morning After because she wanted to try being drunk and acting rather than acting drunk.

by Anonymousreply 175August 3, 2020 5:23 AM

Yes I agree the movie is a stinker. That climax with a head-bleeding Jeff Bridges is awful. Sidney Lumet is not known for subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 176August 3, 2020 5:25 AM

Well, it worked! That’s a great scene.

by Anonymousreply 177August 3, 2020 5:26 AM

^^ for r

[quote]

by Anonymousreply 178August 3, 2020 5:26 AM

DAMN IT!!

R177 was for

[quote] Fonda said she was really drunk in The Morning After because she wanted to try being drunk and acting rather than acting drunk.

by Anonymousreply 179August 3, 2020 5:28 AM

Jennifer Jason Leigh in Last Exit to Brooklyn.

Brad Davis Midnight Express.

by Anonymousreply 180August 3, 2020 5:47 AM

Agree about JJL in Last Exit to Brooklyn. It's a shame she wasn't nominated for either Brooklyn or Miami Blues in 1990. That really was her year. Two very different performances as a prostitute but both films showed her range.

Agree Fonda was excellent in The Morning After. Not a great film but both Fonda and Bridges are great in it, as is Raul Julia.

by Anonymousreply 181August 3, 2020 6:11 AM

I thought "Georgia" was JJL's missed nomination (1995). I guess it was a competitive year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 3, 2020 6:16 AM

John Huston in Chinatown. Robert Towne said numerous times that Huston's performance is what holds the film together.

John Cazale in Godfather Part II.

by Anonymousreply 183August 3, 2020 6:25 AM

Good nominations, r183. Cazale especially--that was a very delicately nuanced performance of a complex role.

by Anonymousreply 184August 3, 2020 6:58 AM

R72, TEOTN is brilliant! One of my all-time favorites! The suspense lasts literally to the final scene!

by Anonymousreply 185August 3, 2020 7:47 AM

Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, and Philip Seymour Hoffman for 'The Talented Mr. Ripley'.

Christian Bale for 'American Psycho' and 'The Machinist'.

DeNiro and Pesci for 'Casino', and Sharon Stone definitely should've won the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 186August 3, 2020 9:07 AM

PSHoffman for Happiness considered by some (including me) his best performance and better than Capote.

by Anonymousreply 187August 3, 2020 9:14 AM

Agreed, R187. He was amazing in Happiness, but most of the cast were excellent, like Jared Harris. Even Lara Flynn Boyle was great as the manipulative poet sister.

by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2020 1:32 PM

I especially like the scene with Sutherland at the psychiatrist's office and revealing himself.

by Anonymousreply 189August 3, 2020 1:49 PM

Brad Davis in "Midnight Express"

by Anonymousreply 190August 3, 2020 1:52 PM

Coral Browne for Dreamchild

Debbie Reynolds for Mother

Amy Adams for Enchanted

by Anonymousreply 191August 3, 2020 2:05 PM

Rula Lenska for VO 5 hot oil treatments

by Anonymousreply 192August 3, 2020 3:01 PM

John Huston should have been nominated for Chinatown. He played corruption and evil brilliantly.

Happiness definitely deserved nominations but the film is quite unsettling so maybe it just was too much for Academy voters.

by Anonymousreply 193August 3, 2020 4:07 PM

R193 i wasn’t into happiness. It was so campy! I remember the cum on the wall & almost seeing elizabeth ashley’s tits. I also laughed out loud at the perv dad’s confession to his son. All these years later I remember it so there’s that .

by Anonymousreply 194August 3, 2020 4:19 PM

Paul Dooley for his wonderful comedic performance as Dennis Christopher's Dad in "Breaking Away"

Debbie Reynolds for "Mom"

The Academy really undervalues a great comic performance.

by Anonymousreply 195August 3, 2020 4:49 PM

The academy disdains horror and comedy performances. It's hard to scare people and make them laugh. The academy has a pre-modern take on what constitutes "good" acting.

by Anonymousreply 196August 3, 2020 4:51 PM

Who was the killer in The Morning After? I saw that film soooo long ago and now it's forgotten, not streamable, and never ever on any cable TV station.

by Anonymousreply 197August 3, 2020 7:35 PM

Ian Holm for Dreamchild

by Anonymousreply 198August 3, 2020 7:43 PM

The actress Coral Browne for Dreamchild.

by Anonymousreply 199August 3, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote] Who was the killer in The Morning After? I saw that film soooo long ago and now it's forgotten, not streamable, and never ever on any cable TV station.

Sadly, the "amazing" twist ending is spoiled by the fact that there are basically only three characters in the whole movie (Jane Fonda, Jeff Bridges and Raul Julia) and this being a studio film, two of them aren’t going to be the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 200August 3, 2020 7:55 PM

Jane Fonda looked her age (49) and more in The Morning After (1986). And she didn't try to hide it, she played a washed up former Hollywood starlet. "I was made into a new Vera Miles, before they realized no one wanted a new Vera Miles."

It was the last time we saw Jane before plastic surgery, which continued through the rest of her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 3, 2020 8:27 PM

So Raul was the killer? Who was the dead guy in bed with Jane?

by Anonymousreply 202August 3, 2020 8:29 PM

R202 i think it was just some guy she fucked while drunk. Raul was the ex husband & the killer. . I should look it up on wiki but won’t. I did check. Sleazy photographer is killed. Doesn’t say why raul wants her set up - but he wants to get remarried ...

by Anonymousreply 203August 3, 2020 8:38 PM

Wasn't Jeff the killer in Jagged Edge?

by Anonymousreply 204August 3, 2020 8:56 PM

Yes. R204 At least i didn’t have to do those hetro white male panic films or joe eszterhas gal in danger bullshit to have a leading lady career, poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 205August 3, 2020 9:08 PM

Don't think Skerritt was under contract but Redford wanted him -- but Paramount said he was not box office. The movie and Redford were the real stars so film would have done just fine with Tom in the role. Sutherland could've been the shrink though.

by Anonymousreply 206August 3, 2020 9:21 PM

I don’t know - at least the resolution of the plot made sense. You could understand the motivation (as I recall).

by Anonymousreply 207August 3, 2020 11:15 PM

^^ sorry, in response to

[quote]r200 Sadly, the "amazing" twist ending is spoiled by the fact that there are basically only three characters in the whole movie (Jane Fonda, Jeff Bridges and Raul Julia) and this being a studio film, two of them aren’t going to be the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 208August 3, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote]R205 At least i didn’t have to do those hetro white male panic films or joe eszterhas gal in danger bullshit to have a leading lady career, poor dear. - M

Oh, really? I seem to remember this stinker...

Wasn’t it first called [italic]Stab[/italic] ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 3, 2020 11:25 PM

As much as I like Skerritt (and fuck, he's a hot daddy) but Sutherland was THE choice. He was brilliant. I just don't see Skerritt carrying the heavy emotions like Sutherland. No disrespect to Skeritt, but Sutherland truly is a far better actor.

by Anonymousreply 210August 3, 2020 11:53 PM

All this talk about Raul Julia reminds me how much I miss him. He was a very good actor and always lit up a movie with his presence.

One thing about Julia when he played villains is that he always made them charismatic, even likable.

by Anonymousreply 211August 4, 2020 12:02 AM

Voight would have been great too. You can see Mary Tyler Moore marrying him as the cute hot jock long before and expecting two perfect kids. And Buck could have stayed the same casting for sure.

Voight remains my favorite actor. His eyes let you in. Sutherland just seems dismissive, on screen and in real life.

by Anonymousreply 212August 4, 2020 1:04 AM

It's a shame what happened to Voight because he could be a really fantastic actor.

I watched Desert Bloom from 1986 recently and it's an excellent film. So many in the cast could have been nominated: Voight, JoBeth Williams, Ellen Barkin and Annabeth Gish.

by Anonymousreply 213August 4, 2020 1:09 AM

Voight is such an ass!

by Anonymousreply 214August 4, 2020 1:11 AM

Oh G! I was young then & had an oscar At least i wasn’t in up with people

by Anonymousreply 215August 4, 2020 3:22 AM

Look, if you were in the group we would have been called Up With Earplugs.

Now shove it.

by Anonymousreply 216August 4, 2020 4:13 AM

The M. vs. G. thing is painfully unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 217August 4, 2020 5:03 AM

Give your BUTT a rest!

by Anonymousreply 218August 4, 2020 5:05 AM

Re The Morning After the killer was not Raul Julia but his socialite girlfriend played by Diane Salinger and Raul thought it would be a good idea to frame Jane because she was a lush.

by Anonymousreply 219August 4, 2020 5:07 AM

Has anyone nominated Charlotte Rampling for Under the Sand? She did get a nomination later for 45 Years but I think she has a better role in the first film.

by Anonymousreply 220August 4, 2020 5:12 AM

Tuesday Weld was the only acting nominee in Looking For Mr. Goodbar. Diane Keaton should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 221August 4, 2020 5:13 AM

Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates for Psycho. Somehow was both cute/harmless, and creepy/off putting at the same time. One of those actors who could never shake their most famous role.

by Anonymousreply 222August 4, 2020 5:17 AM

Mia Farrow and Jeff Daniels for “Purple Rose of Cairo”

Sam Neill for “A Cry in the Dark”.

by Anonymousreply 223August 4, 2020 5:18 AM

Some still think Keaton won for both Goodbar and Annie Hall r221. Personally, I think her work in Goodbar is far more revelatory and groundbreaking than Annie Hall. But Goodbar was probably too grim for the Academy to award.

by Anonymousreply 224August 4, 2020 5:27 AM

R219 ok. Why? Why she do it ?

by Anonymousreply 225August 4, 2020 6:02 AM

"The killer is Isabel Harding (Diane Salinger), the fiancee of Alex's ex-husband Joaquin (Raul Julia), who is a hairdresser. Korshack had taken nude photographs of her, and he was blackmailing her with them. But it was Joaquin who came up with the idea to frame Alex for the murder because she wouldn't sign the divorce papers, and a divorce would be granted if she was in prison. Turner and Alex figure out it's them when it's discovered that her hair found at the crime scene was actually from her wig, which Joaquin now owns. When they are at Joaquin's home, he knocks out Turner with a large flowerpot and attempts to drown Alex. Turner comes to and shoots Joaquin in the arm just as the police arrive. Isabel, who was also at the home, confesses to the cops, but says that Joaquin was the killer, not her. He claims she killed him, so the police arrest both of them."

by Anonymousreply 226August 4, 2020 6:17 AM

R226 thank you! Now can we all go on about Jessica Lange in Music Box?

by Anonymousreply 227August 4, 2020 6:20 AM

I think the late Lange Troll played out Music Box.

by Anonymousreply 228August 4, 2020 6:24 AM

I was going to say Charlotte Rampling as the headmistress in Never Let Me Go should have gotten a nom but would add any of the three main characters (Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, Keira Knightly). All v/v good (as was Sally Hawkins as the teacher who lost it).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 4, 2020 6:36 AM

Mia Farrow for "Broadway Danny Rose" -- a comedic role, and she's a riot.

by Anonymousreply 230August 4, 2020 6:39 AM

Gary Oldman and Alfred Molina for Prick Up Your Ears. With all the nominations for being in biopics and the bravery of playing gay, this movie must have come just a little too early for that wave to be included. Or perhaps it’s the harrowing ending that turned people away, but there’s also a string of nominations for playing murders too. But both performances were praised at the time as well as Vanessa Redgrave, who I think played the agent, but I really don’t recall her character or performance much.

by Anonymousreply 231August 4, 2020 9:01 AM

[quote]It's a shame what happened to Voight because he could be a really fantastic actor.

A really underrated performance of his in the movie Conrack, where he played novelist Pat Conroy during a pre-author period in his life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 4, 2020 1:16 PM

So, in Jessica Lange's Music Box, was her father guilty? Was he a former Nazi? Concentration camp killer? Another film I saw long, long ago but I don't remember the ending!

by Anonymousreply 233August 4, 2020 3:09 PM

Amy Adams in “Arrival”

by Anonymousreply 234August 4, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote]Some still think Keaton won for both Goodbar and Annie Hall [R221]. Personally, I think her work in Goodbar is far more revelatory and groundbreaking than Annie Hall. But Goodbar was probably too grim for the Academy to award.

I think she only won because the vote was split between Anne Bancroft (Turning Point), Shirley MacLaine (Turning Point) and Jane Fonda (Julia).

I think Diane Keaton did good work in both films, but looking at the competition, I think it was more about she edge out the others by splitting the vote.

by Anonymousreply 235August 4, 2020 3:38 PM

R235, she won because Annie Hall is a timeless film, unlike The Turning Point and Julia.

by Anonymousreply 236August 4, 2020 3:45 PM

The Turning Point is hardly "timeless"

by Anonymousreply 237August 4, 2020 5:11 PM

I'm gonna say Christina Ricci for ' Black snake moan'. I don't understand why she was never nominated for anything. She could have had at least 3 nods from the academy in the supporting category only. I guess she was not Harvey' s type. On the olden days, Vivien Leigh in ' ship of fools ' gives one of the most powerful and moving performance of all time, and Signoret was the one nominated, for her usual shtick, the ' long suffering boozer with a heart of gold', that had already won her a best actress award. Back to Ricci, I really don' t get why she's not given one of those delicious vlllain parts in the big studio movies. Why is she so under-employed ?

by Anonymousreply 238August 4, 2020 5:28 PM

Ricci is a great choice, r238!

Honestly, I think she and Joan Cusack deserved Best Supporting Actress nominations for Addams Family Values. Almost 30 years later, those performances are comedic gems.

by Anonymousreply 239August 5, 2020 12:25 AM

Kristy McNichol for Just the Way You Are (1984).

by Anonymousreply 240August 5, 2020 12:46 AM

[quote]The Turning Point is hardly "timeless"

Given what R236 posted - "Annie Hall is a timeless film, unlike The Turning Point" - your comment seems Point-less.

by Anonymousreply 241August 5, 2020 1:21 AM

^ Sorry, misread the post.

by Anonymousreply 242August 5, 2020 1:49 AM

r233 Armand Mueller-Stahl's character was all those things, and he turned so creepily haughty against his daughter(Lange) as soon as she confronted him.

Just joking, but also a bit seriously, the titular music box itself should get some kind of award. When the photos flip up out of it, it's quite chilling and mesmerizing, and Lange's reaction to them is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 243August 5, 2020 4:02 AM

Lange was excellent in Music Box and deserved her nomination.

But I watched the film a few years ago and it wasn't as good as I remembered.

by Anonymousreply 244August 5, 2020 5:07 AM

Madeline Kahn for What's Up, Doc (1972).

by Anonymousreply 245August 5, 2020 5:11 AM

Eli Wallach for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

John Cazale for Dog Day Afternoon and The Godfather Part II

Beverly D’Angelo for Coal Miners Daughter

Agree with Anthony Perkins for Psycho

by Anonymousreply 246August 5, 2020 5:18 AM

Monica Vitti in L'Avventura, La Notte or L'Eclisse.

Jack Nicholosn in The Passenger.

Marcello Mastroianni in La Dolce Vita.

Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullman in Persona.

Jonathan Chang in Yi Yi.

Setsuko Hara for Late Spring.

Tatsuya Nakadai in Harakiri.

by Anonymousreply 247August 5, 2020 5:28 AM

David Ashfield and Grant Fagan for Lead/Supporting Actor respectively for “Pizza Boy - He Delivers”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 5, 2020 5:35 AM

Raul Julia for The Addams Family and/or Addams Family Values. The whole cast was great but he really was the linchpin.

Agree with Scatman Crothers for "The Shining".

I know the movie is very much an acquired taste but Shelley Duvall was superb in "Popeye".

by Anonymousreply 249August 5, 2020 5:47 AM

Yep. The Addam's family movies and the Ice Storm were packed with superb performances by top notch crème de la crème acting greats, and yet in both cases Ricci stole the show and walked away with it. And yet nothing...

by Anonymousreply 250August 5, 2020 9:36 AM

Ziyi Zhang deserved to be nominated for “House of Flying Daggers.” I thought she’d get one for “Memoirs of a Geisha” after the BAFTAs, Globes and SAG Awards all nominated her but no dice there either. GREAT actress.

by Anonymousreply 251August 5, 2020 11:05 AM

Re Ziyi Zhang - if we're bringing up movies directed by Zhang Yimou, then I would add Gong Li for her performances in a number of his films that were not Oscar nominated - from Raise the Red Lantern to Red Sorghum to To Live to Coming Home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 5, 2020 12:04 PM

Fele Martinez and Gael Garcia Bernal in Bad Education.

John Heard in Cutter and Bone.

Richard E. grant in Withnail and I.

Also agree with Joan Cuscak in Addams Family Values, she’s such a hoot in that. Kind of like Mercedes Reuhl in Married to the Mob.

by Anonymousreply 253August 5, 2020 12:56 PM

Was Mercedes Ruehl's Oscar of "Fisher KIng" sort of an award for "Married to the Mob"? She was great in "Mob" but otherwise not really that impressive in 'Fisher".

by Anonymousreply 254August 5, 2020 3:01 PM

Hello...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 5, 2020 6:41 PM

Move over, Toots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 5, 2020 6:45 PM

Robbed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 5, 2020 6:48 PM

Nobody tops me (truly the worst oversight of all time, I think).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258August 5, 2020 6:51 PM

I think Courtney Love should absolutely have been nominated for The People vs. Larry Flynt. She was fantastic in that. I think she would be nominated today.

by Anonymousreply 259August 5, 2020 7:00 PM

Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, and yes, Kevin Spacey for LA Confidential

Jeremy Irons for Dead Ringers

Jeff Goldblum for The Fly

Ted Danson for Body Heat

Julie Harris for The Haunting Ted

by Anonymousreply 260August 5, 2020 7:07 PM

Meant Julie Harris for The Haunting

Might as well add everybody in Kubrick’s Lolita

Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duvall in The Shining

by Anonymousreply 261August 5, 2020 7:11 PM

Charlotte Rampling in SWIMMING POOL, rather than UNDER THE SAND though she's very good in that.

by Anonymousreply 262August 5, 2020 7:46 PM

R261 i agree with shelly duvall but i thought jack was fun but over the top so not great in the shining. R256 yes! Sandra Bernhard ! And Jerry Lewis & Robert DeNiro. (I thought The Joker was king of comedy meets taxi driver down to the deniro cameo) (i wonder how inside jerry lewis’ performance was ... knowing what has come out about jack paar & johnny carson) And somewhere above about christina ricci : she should’ve been up for the opposite of sex - without a doubt lisa kudrow & maybe even won. A personal one: Christopher Walken The Country Bears (not really but my sister & my nephew lived with us for awhile & this dvd was on a loop the ENTIRE they were at our house. I never- not once- got tired of gos performance. Maybe because i had to focus on something to deal with how often I had to watch it. Or else he was flat out brilliant)

by Anonymousreply 263August 5, 2020 8:07 PM

This is a weird one but I would take away Alicia Vikander’s win for The Danish Girl and trade it in for her unforgettable performance in Ex-Machina that same year.

by Anonymousreply 264August 5, 2020 9:10 PM

R264 totally agree. She’s amazing in “Ex Machina” and deserved the statue for that instead.

by Anonymousreply 265August 6, 2020 11:46 AM

Divine in Hairspray, Irma P. Hall for Ladykillers & Rodney Dangerfield for Natural Born Killers. All 3 should have received Best Supporting Actor/Actress noms. The recognition for Divine & Hall would have been fair, but Dangerfield should have gotten the nomination & the statue. It's one of the most disturbing portrayals of someone completely unhinged in a film, even if the film itself wasn't award worthy.

by Anonymousreply 266August 6, 2020 12:08 PM

I was going to suggest Divine for Hairspray! I think it's a great performance. But would it be Supporting Actor...or Actress?

by Anonymousreply 267August 6, 2020 4:57 PM

Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. I watched it again recently and was caught off guard by how strong Hamilton was in it. The movie is showing signs of age, but Hamilton's performance is still surprising and powerful.

by Anonymousreply 268August 6, 2020 5:17 PM

Diana Scarwid for Mommie Dearest. She got a nom the previous year for Inside Moves, so why not make it two in a row?

by Anonymousreply 269August 6, 2020 5:30 PM

The younger girl did a much better job than Scarwid. Scarwid's southern accent popped up a few times.

by Anonymousreply 270August 6, 2020 5:32 PM

I actually thought Diana Scarwid was eerily good in Mommie Dearest playing a young woman who is essentially dead inside after years of abuse. By the time we get to her older version of Christina, she’s practically given up; Mara’s younger Christina is still feisty and hasn’t yet totally submitted to Joan.

“That was a lie” is a great moment of hers in the film.

Scarwid was wonderful and humane in Inside Moves - that nomination must have been such a nice surprise for her that year.

by Anonymousreply 271August 6, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote]This is a weird one but I would take away Alicia Vikander’s win for The Danish Girl and trade it in for her unforgettable performance in Ex-Machina that same year.

Similarly, Dennis Hopper got nominated for Hoosiers, when he should have been nominated for Blue Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 272August 6, 2020 5:54 PM

R267...I'd say actor, since Divine himself always maintained that he was a male actor playing a female character in Divine. Shortly before his death he had played male parts & promoted them out of his Divine drag. Also, he was slated to become a regular on Married With Children playing a male character.

by Anonymousreply 273August 6, 2020 6:09 PM

I'm still upset Paul Dano got no love for "Love & Mercy". Jeez, at least throw him a nomination! He could also have easily gotten one for "There Will Be Blood."

by Anonymousreply 274August 6, 2020 6:32 PM

Let's not get carried away with this "Divine was a great actor" nonsense. He was a spirited amateur at best who cut his teeth acting in oddities with their own peculiar demands (eating shit, for example). He had no technique, his line readings were unimaginative and he was mostly one-note and flat. In another universe he might have been a Laird Cregar/Victor Buono type but they were both superb, trained actors. Divine most definitely was not. Stop confusing a persona you think is edgy with actually having talent.

by Anonymousreply 275August 6, 2020 6:41 PM

Charlize Theron in Young Adult. I thought it was a braver performance than the one she gave in Monster, because she didn't have all those layers of makeup and weight gain to hide behind. The character was so unlikable that it probably scared the voters.

Toni Collette in Hereditary as well. I watch her in that movie and I'm exhausted. I have no idea how she did that.

by Anonymousreply 276August 6, 2020 6:54 PM

I'm watching HEREDITARY for the second time, and as some reviewers noted, it's an interesting experience seeing it again from the start when you know what's going on.

Toni Colette is great. She can release emotion naturally, and comes across as someone who's actually feeling something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277August 7, 2020 12:31 AM

I am repeating myself, but Richard Dreyfuss should have got the Oscar for Close Encounters, not The Goodbye Girl.

by Anonymousreply 278August 7, 2020 12:48 AM

I thought Scarwid was fine in Mommie Dearest. I always love that she underacted in contrast to Faye's overacting. It's what makes the dynamic so fun to watch.

I don't think her career deserved to lose momentum after that. She was wonderful in Inside Moves.

by Anonymousreply 279August 7, 2020 4:58 AM

Theron was tremendous in Young Adult.

by Anonymousreply 280August 7, 2020 5:11 AM

Rock Hudson for Pretty Maids All in a Row. Spoiler: he was the murderer but fled the country after faking his death.

by Anonymousreply 281August 7, 2020 5:23 AM

R275, I did not think Divine was a great actor. Which is why his performance in Hairspray was so remarkable. He did more than just fulfill the role - he convinced me that he really knew who Edna Turnblad was and inhabited her with the ease I usually expect of a De Niro or an Olivier. He was so happily buoyant after his character's make-over that he was actually weirdly attractive . Some of that might just be charisma and the oddity of the role. But it was screen gold in context.

i do agree that his previous roles with Waters (or elsewhere) were largely schlock, if classic, immortal schlock. I don't think he would have claimed otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 282August 7, 2020 9:03 AM

This might be against the grain, but Reese Witherspoon in American Psycho managed to make her character both horrible and sympathetic at once and without an ounce of camp. The whole cast was great, but she really brought a flat satire to life.

Guinevere Turner, in the same film, as one of Bateman's nasty ex-girlfriends, was hilariously funny and nailed the type completely. She should have gotten a nod as well.

by Anonymousreply 283August 7, 2020 9:32 AM

Agreed, r283. Everyone talks about that movie like it’s a one-man show for Bale, but in truth the whole cast expertly walks a fine line.

by Anonymousreply 284August 7, 2020 9:42 AM

Thanks, R284. Not that Bale didn't do a fantastic job - he carried it off effortlessly and without any winking. but the whole cast really was top-notch. The woman who played Christy was so moving in her ability to convey wariness and a history of past abuse (that did her no good in the end). I felt like the whole cast deserved a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 285August 7, 2020 9:50 AM

NATALIE WOOD OWNS THIS THREAD

by Anonymousreply 286August 7, 2020 12:38 PM

Oupppss she was nominated, sorry. Still robbed.

by Anonymousreply 287August 7, 2020 12:40 PM

Florence Pugh in “Midsommar”

by Anonymousreply 288August 7, 2020 1:43 PM

That reminds me of Mrs. Pugh in "Annie".

by Anonymousreply 289August 7, 2020 2:57 PM

Elisabeth Moss should have been nominated for Her Smell.

by Anonymousreply 290August 8, 2020 12:10 AM

JoBeth Williams in Poltergeist. She anchors the entire film which isn't easy to do, but she makes it look so effortless and you always buy her as a real mom. She has such warmth.

Dee Wallace in Cujo does something very similar and Stephen King even said she deserved a nomination for her work in that film.

by Anonymousreply 291August 8, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]r291 JoBeth Williams in Poltergeist. She anchors the entire film

Another role Tuesday Weld turned down.

She really, really didn't want to be super famous, it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 8, 2020 3:07 AM

Lucie Arnaz turned down Poltergeist too. Sue Mengers told her to do some dumb comedy instead. I don't think Lucie ever got another film role. (She was hot off of The Jazz Singer at the time.)

BTW this isn't a Gary Morton told Lucy story...

by Anonymousreply 293August 8, 2020 3:21 AM

R292 Tuesday Weld turned down everything in the late 60’s / early 70’s -making way for Faye Dunaway (tuesday turned down bonnie ) & for some of the bigger roles of jane fonda (they shoot horses, klute) She was one of those from birth child actors that wanted a normal life as she got older. Norma rae , frances, rosemary’s baby were others she turned down. She’ll never do it but she should write a book.

by Anonymousreply 294August 8, 2020 3:32 AM

I think Tuesday Weld was originally cast in The Stepford Wives and dropped out of that or was fired. Johanna Cassidy had the Paula Prentis role first too.

by Anonymousreply 295August 8, 2020 3:45 AM

Helen Mirren and (hot, now dead) Neil Dickson for Excalibur (1981). I finally watched that film, 39 years after its release. Neil Dickson was also in the 1984 mini-series The Last Days of Pompeii, which is on YouTube. Hot Neil, hot gladiators!

by Anonymousreply 296August 8, 2020 4:10 AM

Mae West for Sextette (1978, her last film).

by Anonymousreply 297August 8, 2020 6:52 AM

I love Tuesday Weld in Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Such a well-deserves nod.

by Anonymousreply 298August 8, 2020 7:51 AM

Tuesday is CRAZY. Why are so many good actresses bipolar ?

by Anonymousreply 299August 8, 2020 8:04 AM

Plus she didn't ' turn down' Rosemary 's baby. Polanski wanted her or Fonda, but Evans preferred Farrow who was a bigger name thanks to Peyton Place and her marriage to Sinatra. I watched a Polanski interview a while ago. I don't think they even offered to test Weld.

by Anonymousreply 300August 8, 2020 8:08 AM

R291 Dee Wallace does that in E.T. as well. The kids were great and understandably pulled all the focus, but she really anchors the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301August 8, 2020 3:09 PM

R291- One of my favorite performances ever is JoBeth Williams in Poltergeist. Charisma up the wazoo. She owned every scene and really was SO likable.

And in the emotional scenes she nails every one. And the chemistry with her and Craig T Nelson was insane.

She was wonderful. I was only 5 when it came out and I wonder if there was any talk of her getting nominated at all.

by Anonymousreply 302August 8, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote] I was only 5 when it came out and I wonder if there was any talk of her getting nominated at all.

MARY (LOUISE)!!!

by Anonymousreply 303August 8, 2020 3:45 PM

JoBeth Williams is definitely one of the most overlooked performances Osar-wise. Go to any film board, especially horror film boards, and her performance is repeatedly mentioned as "should have been nominated".

I agree with others that her performance is exceptional. She brings an emotional depth that I don't a lot of others could have brought, especially when you have to make audiences believe that your daughter has been kidnapped by a poltergeist. Also agree that Dee Wallace was excellent in E.T. and deserved a nomination.

If the rumours are true that Spielberg directed most of Poltergeist, then that would mean he directed TWO performances in 1982 that deserved to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 304August 8, 2020 4:12 PM

Dee still works all the time in mostly low grade horror films that go straight to DVD or streaming, but she seems to make a decent living. I wish someone would give her a really great role again. She's always the best thing in all of those movies she's in, but she's never given much to do.

JoBeth seems to have fallen off of the face of the earth completely. The last time I saw her in something big was that remake of Sybil.

by Anonymousreply 305August 8, 2020 5:08 PM

Both Dee and JoBeth deserved to have bigger careers. They worked steadily after ET and Poltergeist but they should have continued to get A-list roles and both should have Oscars by now. JoBeth was really great in Desert Bloom, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. So many of the cast members in that film deserved an Oscar nomination.

I am not a huge fan of Maggie Gyllenhaal but I thought she was great in Sherrybaby.

by Anonymousreply 306August 8, 2020 5:19 PM

R59, I watched Rosemary’s Baby a couple nights ago - it’s included on Amazon Prime right now - and enjoyed it as much as always. I’d never considered any other actress in Mia’s role, but OMG - you’re absolutely right about Sandy Dennis. What fun it would be to watch that version of the film!

by Anonymousreply 307August 8, 2020 5:42 PM

I've had friends who have met Dee at horror conventions and they always gush about her, saying that the reason she must have been so good in those mom roles was because she has such natural warmth to her. She's always mentioned as one of everyone's favorite guests.

by Anonymousreply 308August 8, 2020 7:09 PM

I also think JoBeth’s harrowing third act in Poltergeist (when you kind of think everything’s fine and it’s all over) really should have solidified her Oscar nomination. She has some truly incredible moments at the end.

by Anonymousreply 309August 8, 2020 7:24 PM

I'm sure someone said this upthread, but horror movies and comedies never get the award consideration they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 310August 8, 2020 7:27 PM

R310 Or musicals for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 311August 8, 2020 7:35 PM

[quote] But both performances were praised at the time as well as Vanessa Redgrave, who I think played the agent, but I really don’t recall her character or performance much.

Oldman got a BAFTA nomination, Redgrave got nominations from Bafta and Golden Globe nominations.

The scenes where Redgrave visits Wallace Shawn to discuss the book and treats Lindsay Duncan like shit are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 312August 8, 2020 7:38 PM

True fear is one the hardest things for an actor to capture on film, because we see it so rarely and those actors are never rewarded for it.

Look at Marilyn Burns at the end of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and tell me that's not a great performance. Or Jamie Lee Curtis in the Halloween movies. You always believe she's terrified for her life.

by Anonymousreply 313August 9, 2020 12:29 AM

It's true. Actresses in horror movies are often dismissed as just the "final girls" (which has its pros and cons) but there are many who give great performances like Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween or Amy Steel in Friday the 13th Part 2. Maybe they are not Oscar-worthy but they are very good in those films, and they've become icons at horror conventions because of those performances. Same with Kate Hudson and Gena Rowlands in The Skeleton Key. I love their performances in that film. Maybe not exactly Oscar-worthy but they both had a difficult job pulling off what they had to do in that film and they did a great job.

Thank God Sigourney Weaver was nominated for Aliens. It may not be a horror film per se, but it has elements of horror in it and Aliens is definitely in a genre that isn't awarded by the Academy unless for technical awards. It may have been a weak year for women that year in movies, but you can't say that performance didn't deserve a nomination. Weaver is outstanding in the film. And her performance is even better in the Director's Cut when Sigourney Weaver discovers what happened to her daughter.

Angie Dickinson is another who should have been nominated for Dressed to Kill. She was great in that. Made you care for her and her plight.

by Anonymousreply 314August 9, 2020 1:05 AM

Horror demands extreme emotions and many actors are uncomfortable with even trying, because they might come across as silly looking or overacting. It's such a delicate balance and so few do it well which might be why many women who do mostly horror are known as "scream queens" because you can depend on them to deliver a believable performance in a film of that sort.

by Anonymousreply 315August 9, 2020 1:25 AM

Jamie Lee Curtis usually looks terrified that her penis will slip out of her costume - -

Why has she never come out as a hermaphrodite? Everyone knows, so it just makes her look uptight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316August 9, 2020 2:55 PM

Barbara Hershey should have nominated for an Oscar for her creepy portrayal of the mother in Black Swan.

by Anonymousreply 317August 16, 2020 4:33 AM

She was good, but kind of peripheral. There wasn’t any scene that was about her. Usually a strong supporting role has a scene or two like that.

by Anonymousreply 318August 16, 2020 5:55 AM

Eric Roberts as Paul Snider in STAR 80.

Won the Boston Film Critics Award, placed 3rd with New York, and was nominated for the Golden Globe, but got no love from the Academy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319August 16, 2020 6:20 AM

Scarlett Johansson in “Lost in Translation.” She won a BAFTA for it in addition to Globe and Critics’ Choice nods.

At just 17 she was utterly convincing as a lost, mid-20s newlywed. I remember reading there was confusion about whether to submit her for leading or supporting (the BAFTAs and Globes had her as a lead, CC put her in supporting) so maybe that’s part of it.

by Anonymousreply 320August 16, 2020 6:48 AM

R316 I agree, I was shocked Hershey wasn't but but Amy Adams and Melissa Leo nominated got The Fighter. Hated that films and thought neither of them did anything special to even warrant a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 321August 16, 2020 9:18 AM

Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek should have been nominated for 3 Women. I love Shelley's performance and when I hopefully will come to American one time, I will go to Walmart buy pigs in a blanket and chocolate pudding tarts, while randomly inviting the people of Walmart to my motel room and claiming that 'I am famous for my dinner parties'!

Throw at least four noms in for Isabelle Huppert and Jeanne Moreau, plus three more for Catherine Deneuve. Plus Cecilia Roth and Marisa Paredes for All About My Mother.

by Anonymousreply 322August 16, 2020 10:13 AM

Some great choices, and another shoutout for Scatman Carothers.

I’d also add Nick Nolte, Armand Assante and Paul Calderon for Q&A. Nolte and Calderon for what were DeNiro-like performances in disappearing into character, and Assante for the pure charisma he brought to his. A great film with great performances marred by Timothy Hutton’s namby-pamby acting. His career really was a one-trick pony.

by Anonymousreply 323August 16, 2020 11:41 AM

Margaret Hamilton for the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 324August 16, 2020 1:08 PM

Goldie Hawn for "Butterflies are Free" -- I watched the other day is she is great with the late, yummy when young Edward Albert. Eileen Heckart won Supporting, and she was super, her performance seems even stronger now.

by Anonymousreply 325August 16, 2020 1:41 PM

3 Women is a fascinating movie and Spacek and Duvall were extraordinary in their roles. They both deserved nominations. I used to think Spacek was a great actress with a limited range until I saw a movie she did called Trading Mom. The film itself is nothing more than fluff, but she's great in it and plays 4 different roles so well that you do truly forget it's her. It was then that I realized she was just as good if not better than Streep.

by Anonymousreply 326August 16, 2020 6:21 PM

Ugh, Eric Roberts is always awful. Such a ham.

by Anonymousreply 327August 16, 2020 8:02 PM

All the main actors in Ugetsu. Wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 328August 16, 2020 8:02 PM

R328, and Onibaba.

by Anonymousreply 329August 16, 2020 8:09 PM

[quote]R319 Eric Roberts as Paul Snider in STAR 80.

That character has no redeeming characteristics, so it’s not terribly well rounded. It might also have been a turnoff that he hijacks the story away from the newsworthy victim, Dorothy Stratten. It’s not called “Pimp 80”.

by Anonymousreply 330August 16, 2020 8:24 PM

[quote]R322 I love Shelley's performance and when I hopefully will come to American one time, I will go to Walmart to buy pigs in a blanket and chocolate pudding tarts, while randomly inviting the people of Walmart to my motel room and claiming that 'I am famous for my dinner parties'!

Don’t forget the shrimp cocktails.

[italic]If you’re not going to do something right, don’t do it at all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331August 16, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote]R322 Shelley Duvall and Sissy Spacek should have been nominated for 3 Women.

[quote]R326 3 Women is a fascinating movie and Spacek and Duvall were extraordinary in their roles.

This is a neat little “3 Women” discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332August 16, 2020 8:40 PM

This is making me want to rewatch 3 Women. It has to be my favorite Altman film. It's so unnerving and I can never articulate why. It really does feel like you're watching someone else's dream.

by Anonymousreply 333August 16, 2020 10:02 PM

R333, it was supposed to be Altman's version of Persona and I think I like it better. It feels like less of a chore to watch (but both are great films). Persona, 3 Women and Mulholland Drive form a trio.

by Anonymousreply 334August 16, 2020 10:08 PM

Pauline Kael was a big Altman fan but even she had problems with 3 Women.

by Anonymousreply 335August 16, 2020 10:29 PM

Pauline Kael was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 336August 16, 2020 10:33 PM

Since we are talking about 3 WOMEN: If you haven't seen it, check out an earlier film by Altman, titled IMAGES. (It's available on Amazon Prime). In themes and imagery, it is a precursor to 3 WOMEN, but instead of ethereal dreaminess, IMAGES serves up psychological horror, along with some stunning cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond.

IMAGES fits this thread, too, since its star, Susannah York, won the Best Actress Award at Cannes that year, but was overlooked by the Academy. Pauline Kael didn't like this one, either.

[FYI, the young girl in the below still is Cathryn Harrison, daughter of Noel and granddaughter of Rex.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337August 16, 2020 11:07 PM

Judy Garland in THE WIZARD OF OZ. I apologize if someone upthread also brought it up. If "iconic" means anything, it's this character and this film. They gave her a special, juvenile Oscar, however, but when you consider that Anna Paquin won (Supporting) for the trendy but badly aged THE PIANO then Judy's accomplishment is all the more impressive. A pitch-perfect performance in a huge, risky and demanding film role in the most important movie of the year for MGM, who regarded WIZARD as their honorary prestige movie and anticipated a loss (the better side if Judaism). It became their finest moment.

by Anonymousreply 338August 16, 2020 11:12 PM

of Judaism - and I mean this sincerely - those little curls the Hasidics wear symbolize the "extra" harvest that one gives away

by Anonymousreply 339August 16, 2020 11:16 PM

Sorry but Images is an Altman stinker and 3 Women goes off the rails once Janice Rule appears as the 3rd woman.

by Anonymousreply 340August 16, 2020 11:20 PM

R338 Despite the special Oscar Garland got, the movie was not well received when it came out and took a long while to become a beloved classic, mostly due ti it running on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341August 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Images is ok but its really dated--it just scream SEVENTIES in every other image and effect.

by Anonymousreply 342August 17, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote]R341 article: Fantasy is still Walt Disney’s undisputed domain. Nobody else can tell a fairy tale with his clarity of imagination, his simple good taste, or his technical ingenuity. This was forcibly borne in on me [bold]as I sat cringing [/bold]before M-G-M’s Technicolor production of “The Wizard of Oz,” which displays no trace of imagination, good taste, or ingenuity.

So funny to see the word CRINGE in a 1939 review, as it’s so recently in vogue again, today.

by Anonymousreply 343August 17, 2020 1:39 AM

Bono in "U2: Rattle and Hum" (1988).

by Anonymousreply 344August 17, 2020 2:50 AM

Joaquin Pheonix in Return To Paradise. Most people haven't seen it, but it was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 345August 17, 2020 4:07 AM

I agree with Cecilia Roth in All About my Mother. The scene where her son is hit by the car and she runs to him is devastating. Weirdly, the usually good Penelope Cruz (so tough in Volver) is a bit of a lightweight in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 346August 17, 2020 6:16 AM

Madonna in Woody Allen's Shadow and Fog (1991). Great cast, including Jodie Foster, Kathy Bates, Lily Tomlin, John Cusack, John Malkovich, and, of course, Mia.

by Anonymousreply 347August 17, 2020 10:57 PM

Mia Farrow in "Broadway Danny Rose" -- terrific comedy performance; some folks couldn't even tell it was Mia for a few minutes. But comedy is underrated by the Academy on the whole, especially for lead performances.

by Anonymousreply 348August 18, 2020 2:22 AM

Mariah Carey in Glitter

by Anonymousreply 349August 18, 2020 3:35 AM

r349 = Bryan Tanaka

by Anonymousreply 350August 18, 2020 6:10 AM

Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie received well-deserved Oscar nominations for "Carrie" (1976). I thought Betty Buckley should also have been nominated for playing the high-school gym teacher. She was excellent in the scene where she punishes the mean girls after they bullied Carrie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351August 23, 2020 10:27 AM

Irma P Hall in The Ladykillers. It was worth at least a nomination, if not a win.

by Anonymousreply 352September 27, 2020 2:33 PM

R118, This might sound more than weird, but when my husband died in his hospice room and it was time for me to leave, I stood on the street corner and, intentionally a la Roddy's Octavian, cried out loudly, "[Husband's name] is dead! [Husband's name] of [city] lives no more!"

by Anonymousreply 353September 27, 2020 11:05 PM

Donald Trump in Home Alone 2

by Anonymousreply 354September 27, 2020 11:08 PM

I'm sorry about your husband R353

by Anonymousreply 355September 27, 2020 11:09 PM

Betty Lynn was good in her tiny role in "Tender Mercies" too. I find she's best in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 356September 27, 2020 11:14 PM

D. Sutherland was genius in Ordinary People. I’ll always remember the scene when he tells the ice queen ; “I just always wondered about one thing. It’s silly but it’s always bothered me. Before we went to Bucks funeral you told me to wear the black shoes, not the brown ones . What the hell did it matter what color my shoes were .We were going to bury our son.”

by Anonymousreply 357September 28, 2020 1:06 AM

Buck would never have worn brown shoes to a funeral.

by Anonymousreply 358September 28, 2020 1:32 AM

Linda Fiorentino in THE LAST SEDUCTION.

Academy rules deemed her ineligible (because the movie debuted on HBO before theaters) but she received the New York and London Film Critics' Awards and either won or was nominated for a slew of others. Considering the weak competition that year, she might have won it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359September 29, 2020 6:40 AM

Thank you, r355. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 360September 29, 2020 6:59 PM

Kathleen Turner in Crimes of Passion

Angie Dickinson in Dressed to Kill

Charlize Theron in Young Adult

Toni Collette in Hereditary

by Anonymousreply 361September 29, 2020 8:17 PM

Betty Buckley seems most known and admired for her Broadway work, but every show I've seen her in has left me cold. She has absolutely zero warmth or charm on stage, yet, on film, I think she's absolutely superb. Her one scene in Another Woman has haunted me since I first saw it. She makes a huge impression.

Speaking of that same movie, Sandy Dennis turns in a wonderful performance in it as well. She only has 2 scenes, but you can't take your eyes off of her.

by Anonymousreply 362September 29, 2020 8:19 PM

Big hugs for R360

by Anonymousreply 363September 29, 2020 9:22 PM

[quote]r362 [Betty Buckley’s] one scene in Another Woman has haunted me since I first saw it. She makes a huge impression.

The casting and acting in that one is superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364September 30, 2020 12:23 AM

R362- NICE! I really love Another Woman. Its a very quiet and dignified film- yet very watchable.

And I agree about Sandy Dennis and Betty Buckley. I also enjoyed Gene Hackman, and of course- Gena.

by Anonymousreply 365September 30, 2020 12:36 AM

r296, Neil who? Not in Excalibur or the Last Days of Pompeii

by Anonymousreply 366September 30, 2020 12:46 AM

I think any of the three male leads could've been nominated for this one.

They became their characters 100% & not a trace of any previous performance could've been found.

Some real acting going on but the Academy usually snubs our community when it comes to comedy (that horrible Birdcage film is the exception).

The scene where Patrick's character reacts to seeing his mom on her porch is top notch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 30, 2020 7:53 PM

Mr. Reeve didn't even get a nomination for his iconic Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde split performance

with nerdy bumbling Clark Kent & confident athletic Superman.

It was far more worthy than 1989's Joker rip off of "The Shining". character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368September 30, 2020 8:00 PM

Campbell Scott in 'Roger Dodger'

Christine Lahti in 'Swing Shift'

by Anonymousreply 369September 30, 2020 10:16 PM

Annabeth Gish in her film debut "Desert Bloom" gave an amazingly accomplished performance. I thought she was as good if not better than any of the actresses nominated for Best Actress that year.

by Anonymousreply 370September 30, 2020 10:23 PM

r369, Christine Lahti was nominated for "Swing Shift" (1984). She was terrific and should have won.

The winner was Peggy Ashcroft for "A Passage to India".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371October 1, 2020 10:24 AM

R371

I don't know why I forgot that; it would have been easy enough to look up.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 372October 1, 2020 12:55 PM

R362 I feel the same - Betty Buckley tore it up in Another Woman. Amazing scene.

by Anonymousreply 373October 15, 2020 4:21 AM

R358: Also, as Frank Zappa once observed "Brown shoes don't make it"

R300 and others: Farrow was her usual self in "Rosemary's Baby" Weld would have brought some crazy to the part which would have made it more interesting than Farrow as waif/naif. Fonda wasn't quite ready for a film like that. She seemed much better once she spent "Barbarella" being embarrassed about what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 374October 15, 2020 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!