Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do American parents give their children "unique names", and why are moms specially prone to do that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 6:10 PM

If you give a child a unique and special name, then the child is guaranteed to grow up to be a unique and special individual.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 11:22 AM

I AM COVID THE NINETEENTH!

SUCK ON IT, MARLON!

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 11:28 AM

Most parents think their kid is special. But you know what? That’s not the worst thing. It’s better than people treating their kids like shit and calling them worthless losers. I love that my mother thought I had potential to be something great. Didn’t quite pan out, but I appreciate that someone had my back.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 11:29 AM

Children have to go to school, and other children are little bastards if they are in any way different. It doesn’t make them unique, it makes them targets. David Bowie named his son Zowie. He now calls himself Duncan.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 11:36 AM

It's parent's way of attempting to make their child appear better than other children. But most of the time it just looks trashy. Trump and that Georgia mountain whore Marla maples named their daughter "Tiffany"? And you can bet your bottom dollar in their ignorant minds they think every time someone reads or hears that moon faced gal's name they immediately think of Tiffany Jewelers. When I read or hear her name I immediately think of trailer parks and juke joints. And then there's Barron, the one from Jabba and his current Eastern European whore. You know they think people immediately think that kid has a royal title when they see or hear his name.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 11:42 AM

One EST on AITA doesn't mean moms are prone to giving their children dumb names.

It's been a little distressing to see how many otherwise normal people think these stories on AITA are true. They're all trollbait. You'd think at least Dataloungers would see through them.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 11:45 AM

Because every child is special and unique!!!

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 11:48 AM

What kind of idiot wanna name her kid "Tuesday"

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote]One EST on AITA doesn't mean moms are prone to giving their children dumb names.

It doesn't, but everyone knows it's moms who give their children ridiculous names like Abcde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 12:11 PM

It's a trend, people want to fight with the fact most of us are boring, irrelevant and forgettable. That's why plain straight people call themselves " queer" and wanna tell you what pronouns to use to their special selves, they cover in hideous tattoos, the dye their hair with unnatural colours. They want their irrelevant and plain looking kids to be special too. Of course this trend make them all look the same, as try hards.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 12:35 PM

R5 you know that Tiffany is actually a really old name, going back to at least medieval times, right?

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 12:38 PM

Well, I'm a medievalist, R11, and I've never encountered a Tiffany - examples please.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 12:43 PM

Okay, Unique if it’s a boy and Euphonious if it’s a girl.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 12:46 PM

There was a renter across the street named Tuesday, but then we would think maybe it was Wednesday (like Addams Family)so we just nicknamed her "Weekday"

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 12:46 PM

That’s stupid.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 12:47 PM

I don’t get why it’s “Barron.” Shouldn’t it be “Baron?”

“Apple” is the worst. As if you needed another reason to depise Gwyneth Paltrow, in a year or two Apple will be shoved down our throats as an “actress/model/pop star” with the Daily Mail meticulously documenting her every fetid queef.

This is why I avoid tabloids and entertainment sites - except this one, of course!

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 12:55 PM

I'm clapping for you, r13.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 1:01 PM

American Karens tend to think their darlings are unique among the average kids..of course they never are

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 1:53 PM

Well this is a Canadian and South African Karen, with a LOT of money:

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome to the stage, X Æ A-12 Musk!!!!

Grimes is Elon Musk's baby mama. Joe Rogan asked how to say it, to which Musk responded: "I mean it's just X, the letter X. And then, the Æ is, like, pronounced 'Ash'... and then, A-12, A-12 is my contribution."

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 2:47 PM

What an ash hole!

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote]Unique if it’s a boy and Euphonious if it’s a girl.

Pronounced "you-NEE-kway" and "you-foe-NIGH-us".

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 5:26 PM

If .you’re broke and uneducated, you want to give your kid something special. Mencken wrote about this. Same with Okies, Blacks, Mormons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 5:34 PM

I think they named him after Barron Hilton. Tiffany was the jewelry store founder's last name (Louis Comfort Tiffany).

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 5:41 PM

The press secretary has a stupid name. I don’t even know what it is or how to pronounce it or spell it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 5:45 PM

Because the Murrican Dream of Infinite Uniqueness has turned into a kind of cancer, which has produced Trump, his followers, and 300 million clones that are all convinced of their absolute individuality. I meant that in the sense of a Venn diagram, in that all the Trump followers are also part of the 300 million clones, though not all of the 300 million are Trump followers. Not good at maths.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 5:58 PM

Why not? It's fun, it's different, no one else has a name like that.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 6:04 PM

The kids with the special names get “beat up” on the playground. COVID-19 has been a welcomed relief for these kids.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 6:09 PM

Socioeconomics and race plays into this as well.

Poor whites love to name their children after soap opera characters and celebrities.

Poor blacks create these names with punctuation marks in the middle and to make their kids unique, and then give them nicknames like Nene or Peanut.

Upper class whites tend to stick with traditional family names.

Upper class blacks tend to stick with traditional, classic names.

Both middle class whites and blacks tend to go with trendy names and add their own spin with spelling variations. Like Madysyn or Madasan or Mahdysin or Madeighson

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!