Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Slow cooker (crockpot) ideas

I am not a big meat eater but on a warm day this cooking vessel does not heat up the kitchen.

My biggest success thus far is a potato leek stew that was garnished with walnuts toasted in butter.

Despite living in Germany I am not a big potato eater either but when slow cooked I like them.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 4:24 PM

It's still too warm right now for it, but a crockpot is ideal for making a cassoulet, which is a wonderful meal when the weather is chilly. I also like to use a crockpot to cook a pork tenderloin, which can then be turned into pulled pork barbeque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 9:01 AM

Cassoulet I have not yet mastered. And it seems very rich and heavy for summer but I have had it in Paris and in the South of France and baked beans never tasted so good.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 10:17 AM

Indian dishes. The flavors are enhanced by the long cooking time.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 10:47 AM

Are there any in particular you care to share R3?

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 11:55 AM

Lamb shanks? They are the entire reason I purchased a slow cooker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 11:59 AM

Try making a chilli with beef skirt. So good, I will never make it again with mince beef.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 12:13 PM

I just bought one and am looking for non-meat recipes! I haven’t received it yet, though. Back ordered at Wayfair.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 12:46 PM

I need to start using mine again now that it's getting too hot to heat up the kitchen by using stove top or oven.

Love to see some recipies as well.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 12:50 PM

Check out: The Indian Slowcooker by Anupa Singla.

For general slow cooker recipes (i.e. most aren't Indian) check out the cookbooks and website of Kathy Hester.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 12:54 PM

For those who requested non-meat Kathy Hester is vegan. Anupa Singla has both meat and vegan in her book.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 12:57 PM

Pork shoulder, pork butt, Boston butt, all the same cut makes great pulled pork for sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 1:04 PM

I love that R11 popped on after the no meat discussion. THAT is Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 6:35 PM

Wouldn't potatoes pretty much disintegrate in a slow cooker?

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 7:10 PM

I've made two pots of slit pea soup flavored with ham hock this summer, heavy on the pepper and added some cloves and nutmeg .

also have bread attachment and have made Boston brown bread (steamed) and rich batter white bread with ginger powder.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 7:15 PM

R13 NO.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 7:53 PM

Congee is a DL fave!

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 7:57 PM

Brussel sprouts with bacon

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 8:32 PM

Chicken and Rice. Use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and add peppers and onions.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 9:00 PM

Someone above asked about potatoes. You can make delicious roasted potatoes in a crockpot. (One good recipe linked below). You can vary that same recipe by adding carrots, parsnips, onions to your potatoes to get an entire roasted root vegetable medley. Much easier than roasting in the oven, and no danger of charring the roast vegetables. One hint is to make sure that all the cut surfaces of the potatoes contact the ceramic of the crockpot. This will help caramelize them for even more flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 9:07 PM

Chicken breasts are flavorless. Use thighs.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 9:14 PM

I made Pasta Fagioli on the stove top today, but I could have easily made it in a crock pot as well.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 10:18 PM

I made chile verde (a pork stew) in a Dutch oven and finished it in the oven. It's in there for 2.5 hours before you even add the potaotes so they don't disintegrate.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 11:47 PM

I'm hungry.

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2020 1:08 PM

Beanie Weenies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2020 1:13 PM

[quote] I'm hungry.

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 1:16 PM

Hot dogs...vile, just vile.

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 3:25 PM

For a vegetarian recipe, try making hummus from scratch. You can experiment with variations for a slightly more original dish: I like substituting Great Northern beans for some of the garbanzo beans. Hummus is fantastic with Meyer lemon juice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2020 2:15 AM

Hummus is great, I make a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2020 9:11 AM

Boiled peanuts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2020 9:20 AM

Does anyone know how to make a traditional British Sunday Roast in an instant pot? I want it to look like the roast in the picture I have attached. Also, please let me know what cut of meat I should use since there are so many.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2020 9:34 AM

Last night I made this garlic soup in the slow cooker.

I may reek today but man alive it was delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2020 9:37 AM

[R31] Can't wait to make the garlic soup. (With yams/sweet potatoes instead of potatoes - due to picky partner.)

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2020 10:18 AM

r1 No one would use pork tenderloin to make pulled pork (or use it in a slow cooker.) Pulled pork is made with pork shoulder (see r11.) You could probably use pork LOIN, but not the tenderloin.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2020 1:13 PM

You need a fatty cut of pork to make pulled pork in a slow cooker. R11 listed them. Pork loin/tenderloin is not suitable.

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2020 2:01 PM

How about brisket, does it hold up well. It has fat.

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2020 4:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!