Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mia Wasikowska

She seemed to be the up-and-coming "It" girl for quite a time. But she hasn;t done much noteworthy since "Crimson peak" and "Alice Through the Looking Glass," and they were a couple of years ago.

What happened? Was it just her unpronounceable last name?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 10:12 AM

Anyone who would date Jesse Eisenberg is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 4:58 AM

When I first saw her on In Treatment, I thought she was extraordinary. But none of her film performances has come even close to reflecting the potential she showed in that role. Her performance in Jane Eyre sucked, and it's all been downhill from there. I don't know why she's lost touch with that initial spark, but it just never came to anything.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 7:14 AM

The only movie of hers I like is Stoker.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 7:45 AM

She’s uninteresting on screen and is very plain.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 7:48 AM

She's soon to be seen in Blackbird, a racially charged drama where a dying mother assembles her family to spend a final weekend together before she ends her life.

Susan Sarandon plays the dying mother. Kate Winslet plays another of the daughters.

Even if cinemas around the world weren't shut I'd predict a direct to streaming release.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 7:58 AM

Yes, sounds pretty hoaky

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 8:01 AM

She doesn’t have “it”. Which is fine , she can just work.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 8:03 AM

Her career quieted down after she starred in that appalling Burton shitfest Alice in wonderland. Come to think of it Burton has become a bit of a career killer.

Stoker was such an odd movie. While I can't say I loved it, I appreciated that it was certainly unique. Kidman was perfectly cast as the unpleasant icebox mother and Wasikowska did frighteningly well as Miss Teen Psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 8:07 AM

There's no shame in being hailed as the next Kate Winslet, but forging a career like Melanie Lynskey instead.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 8:12 AM

I thought she and Michael Fassbender (and Judi Dench) were terrific in the version of Jane Eyre that Cary Fukunaga directed. I actually cried at the end, knowing full well the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 8:19 AM

I'm still partial to the Susanna York / George C Scott version.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 8:24 AM

Here's an early scene with Mia, Michael, and Judi. I also love the beautiful score by Dario Marianelli, though you don't hear much in the clip. Well worth watching the whole film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 8:41 AM

This woman looks like Brendan Fraser. Their widely-spaced eyes are on different sides of their head.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 8:43 AM

Fetal alcohol syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 9:52 AM

Ummmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 9:59 AM

She is a very good actress but not box office. That’s the issue. She is also low key which is a problem selling her as a product as she doesn’t do publicity well. Was great in Tracks.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 10:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!