Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Syracuse New York: WTF

I am here for the first time in my life. I know the city center has some swank to it, but most of it is really downtrodden. I know there are other cities just as sad, which makes me feel as if the American Dream is deader than a doorknob. There’s not enough industry left to employ people. Driving around I saw tons of poor people with little rug rats, tats, and no masks. It was like all of West Virginia compressed into a few blocks. Anyone on DL from Syracuse?

by Anonymousreply 107March 5, 2021 3:02 AM

Gays don't like any of the smaller cities on the East Coast or the Midwest. Syracuse is no different than a lot of other similar sized cities. There are pros and cons to living in them. See the Scrantastic thread.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 2:52 AM

I'm not from Syracuse, but I went to Cornell, which is nearby. That whole area of upstate NY is part of the rust belt, and many of the communities, including Syracuse, are pretty depressing. We used to go to Carousel Mall on the weekends for something to do, but it was never all that great. There actually is some decent stuff up around that way, in the Finger Lakes wine country mainly, but it's all riddled with very poor communities.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 2:53 AM

It’s the lack of sunlight. Syracuse is one of those US cities that gets the least sunlight in the country. It leads to S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) by affecting serotonin, melatonin.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 3:01 AM

Just for the record typically while the unemployment rate and poverty rate in places like Syracuse are above the national average the rates in West Virginia and Appalachia are double the national average.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 3:04 AM

Hi there! I live in a small town literally in between Rochester and Syracuse, NY. I was born in Rochester, NY but have inhabited Wayne County, NY all of my life. It’s alright. Most of my family lives in the Upstate/Western New York State area. Personally, I know this sounds idealistic, but I would love to move to the NYC or LA area someday but right now, with the COVID-19 pandemic, the police brutality, and the riots, it’s a pipe dream for now. Plus, I lack the funding for such a big move at the moment. My family and much of the people in the area are very working-class. There’s a lot of country, farmland, and trees here. My life could be a William Inge play.

I’ve only been to Syracuse a few times though. I’ve been to their mall a few times as well. The last time I was in Syracuse was last year when I had a part in a short student film for Syracuse University. You could say I’ve been to Rochester way more than Syracuse though. I’m more familiar with Rochester than I am Syracuse.

Yes, there’s not much of an arts scene and not much culture here compared to the major cities so I take no offense to any of these replies so far. To the contrary, I’m glad someone brought up here the area of the country that has been my life so thank you!

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 3:55 AM

[R5] Thanks for sharing your experience! Is it ok growing up around here if you’re gay? It’s really pretty Countryside and I am enjoying the architecture. Tomorrow is a visit to the Erie Canal and to some antique stores.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 4:07 AM

[R6] You’re welcome!

It depends. My family is mostly conservative and I am one of the sole people in my family you could consider left-leaning/liberal. I have a complex, complicated relationship with my family. I’m sort of a closeted liberal though, you could say. Then again, I’m someone that hates getting into heated confrontations in the first place. I didn’t start developing actual political beliefs until Trump (of all people) got into office. Now, like everyone else, I am thrust into politics like a character in “War and Peace.” Keep in mind, I’m only 26.

Yet, believe it or not, there are some people that are gay-friendly while most people kind of go about their lives, sort of “live and let live” types. Although, the cities such as Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo are, I think, where you tend to find the most people on the LGBTQ+ spectrum and/or LGBTQ+ friendly. But we exist. We’re out there even in the most rural areas. Then again, I’m extremely introverted due to my Aspergers and I don’t go out much (especially now with this pandemic).

Yes, there are some pretty sights here in Upstate/Western New York State. Seneca Falls, where the first women’s rights convention was held in 1848, is only a good 15-20 minutes from my house. Seneca Falls was also the inspiration for Bedford Falls, the fictional town in “It’s a Wonderful Life.” I’m glad you are enjoying your trip here in the area. I hope you are healthy and well.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 4:50 AM

R5 /7 you sound cute.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 6:41 AM

Syracuse was particularly harmed by the 60s trend of ramming a freeway through the downtown. They’re talking about fixing this in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 6:45 AM

My mom who recently passed went to Syracuse University. Thanks for this thread. It brought back pleasant memories of my mom.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 7:23 AM

R5 I just saw the worst piece of shit film made this past semester by a student of film at Syracuse U. It was called Ran or something. The guy who made it is a complete douche and it was so horrible the host played it for his guests to mock and ridicule.

America dies not need more talentless assholes with Film degrees.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 7:31 AM

^^ does not dies.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 8:28 AM

Syracuse has was never very nice.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 11:43 AM

R8 Thank you! I’m very flattered.

R11 If it makes you feel better, I never even saw “Ran” (short). It was a different short film which I acted in for Syracuse called “Songs for Lonely Americans.” It was a short film about the early years of Jackie Leven, a Scottish folk musician. I played a NYC record manager who, towards the end, brings Jackie to New York at the possibility of a record deal only things, sadly, don’t go as planned. I haven’t seen it and I’m not sure when I will see it. There are some film projects I have acted in that I have yet to see and I am not sure when I will do so. I hope you are healthy and well.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 1:46 PM

R14 Sorry. My anger was not directed at you but the homophobic asshole who made Ran.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 10:59 PM

If you think Syracuse is bad go visit Troy. Very high poverty rate there.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2020 12:10 AM

I explored Syracuse more and I really like it. There’s a lot of beautiful buildings. However, the drive between Syracuse and Oswego was depressing—the landscape is pretty but there are lots of Trump flags. I don’t know when the signs became flags, but there were many, flapping in the breeze like his gums. I would have to stay within the city limits if I lived up here.

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2020 1:10 AM

R15 Thank you! That means a lot to me. I accept your apology. Again, thank you!

It’s too bad about that director. I would expect most people in the arts to be socially progressive. I guess not in this case. Are you from the area or were you just visiting Syracuse at the time? I’m sorry you had to go through that homophobic experience.

Syracuse seems like a nice school. I’ve never been there (funny enough) but it’s pretty prestigious. I would love to go to a school like that one but sadly, it’s too (bleeping) expensive. Apparently, it’s $60k a year to go there. On top of that, imagine going for 2-4 years. I can’t imagine. As much as I would have loved to have gone to a bigger school, I dodged a bullet by going to a community college instead. At the end of the day, it’s what one does with the education that counts unless you go for accounting, computer science, engineering, IT, pre-med, nursing, or teaching- that’s one thing. Thanks for replying!

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2020 1:32 AM

Most of the wealth in the Syracuse area is confined to the suburbs. One can live very well on a modest income. The city however, has some pretty dodgy areas.

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2020 1:38 AM

R17 I’m glad you liked Syracuse. I’m more familiar with Rochester than I am Syracuse but nonetheless, I’m happy you enjoyed the area.

Yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of Trump supporters in the area. I would know (sigh). Thank god for stuff like the Internet and YouTube to set me straight on how atrocious Trump’s presidency has been. I’ve been devastated seeing all of this footage of the police brutality and the riots. I’ve never been more sickened to be an American. I’m dreading having to vote for Biden in November but whatever will get Trump out of office. The pardoning of a war criminal, the COVID-19 pandemic, and Trump’s tear-gassing made me change my tune. Hold your nose, as they say.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 1:46 AM

Syracuse has some GORGEOUS homes, Craftsman-made, in Eastwood and some in East Syracuse (which you will probably avoid because it's perpetually downwind from Bristol-Myers-Squibb). There are CLEAR demarcations of lines of where you should and should not be within Syracuse proper: if the street says "SOUTH Salina" (or "south ANYTHING") get your ass back up north of Erie Blvd. If you have not already gone to drive around Tipperary Hill, do so. Coleman's is a must. Nightlife (HA!) is limited; Rain is your friend.

R2 is correct--Syracuse was the end of the Rust Belt, which finally died in Syracuse around 2010 or so. R3 is also correct: it's the Seattle of East, frequently the second cloudiest city in America of that size or larger. To note: Syracuse gets 46% of the available sunshine that hits the planet in that area; Seattle gets 43%. You will not see the sun from January 25 until at least February 20. I assume you haven't lived through winter yet, aka Arctic Tundra hell. The average snowfall is 120". That is not a typo. Ten feet. A year. Buy two shovels; leave one in your car. You'll also want to get very friendly with rock salt and have a 25 pound bag in the back of your car and one outside your house. Also get an LL Bean parka (yes really) graded to at least -30° Fahrenheit for that fun week in January where the average high is 8 and the wind chill gets down below -20° overnight.

It is an amazing place to visit during the spring and summer months. Go visit Skaneateles if you have not already done so, same with Cazenovia. Worth the trip. Gorgeous architecture, near lakes, just amazing.

Do not go out onto Onondaga Lake; it's the second most polluted lake in the World (behind Chernobyl) and will remain so due to the mercury at the bottom; dredge it and kill the entire town! If you drive on 690 West on a hot day after about noon, THAT'S what you're smelling--your deodorant is still working. Destiny USA is sinking, incrementally, into the bog. I have no idea how they're going to stabilize it. There's a reason everyone goes there in the winter, called OMG Indoor Heating. Mall walkers are BIG in Syracuse out of necessity; we need someplace safe to walk in January. It's a shame you'll miss the State Fair, simply because it is like every midwest State Fair on acid. Butter Sculpture! No A/C in the main exhibit hall! What the hell is that guy wearing? Crack alert!

Best thing about Syracuse next to the spring/summer/fall scenery is the food. Hie thee to the Dinosaur BBQ and definitely give Zebb's a spin (make sure to take your Lipitor before you go!). It's NOT a great place to live if you've gone Vegan. If you haven't found the Westcott Nation yet, go to the corner of Westcott and Concord and realize you have arrived in Mini-Berkeley. If you rent there, you are issued your very own pair of Birkenstocks. Also EXTREMELY gay friendly area, since it's right off the University. However, do NOT follow Westcott beyond E. Genesee. And COMPLETELY avoid E. Genesee if you can until past Nottingham High School heading east; you're safe when you've reached Dewitt territory.

If you have not discovered Wegmans, GO. NOW.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2020 2:15 AM

[R21] Thank you! Of course when I was bumbling around I was in the areas you say to not go to. On Division Street there was a great Italian bakery, though. I saw a lot of pit bulls and Appalachian looking cousins around, but ate some tasty pizza pastry things. I am looking forward to going to that big market tomorrow and buying some corn. Then I’m going to check out the Craftsman neighborhoods! Probably will never come back during the winter, I went to Ithaca a few years ago in December and couldn’t walk more than a block without feeling as if my face was frozen to my brain. I had never been north of Baltimore in the winter before! It was a revelation. Westcott was all East Indian Medical students, from what I saw. Very cool little ‘hood. I would like to visit again post covid.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2020 2:42 AM

Check out the area between James and Burnet Ave, Teall and Midler. Basically, go to the Brooklyn Pickle at Midler and Burnet. Continue North on Midler until you reach James. Turn left. Go until you get to the 5 way stop. Turn FULL LEFT onto Shotwell. Voila. It's tucked in back there. Also, if you continue down James from there toward the city center, you'll run into the old Sedgwick Farm on the right. GORGEOUS old houses. Better than spending time in E. Syracuse, honestly--it's the interiors in E. Syr that are Craftsman. DEFINITELY go look at the Craftsman Inn in Fayetteville.

You found DiLauro's! One of the best. Don't miss Columbus, either (told you Syracuse was foodie!). You were in Little Italy, which is mostly safe in daylight. It's really getting run down there, but it's NOTHING like the South Side. I know why you say Appalachian--do not EVER say that aloud in Syracuse because I know plenty of people who live in that neighborhood who would be offended. Syracuse is hemorrhaging people for a reason--the economy hasn't ever fully recovered from the full closure of all the plants, in particular Carrier, which was the last holdout. It's why real estate is DIRT cheap--you can buy a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood for $150k.

Good luck on your travels!

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2020 3:26 AM

Just checked the housing in Syracuse at realtor.com. I like this one and it's only $209,000. There are many for a lot less and in terrible condition, but this is really sweet.

Now I'm going to see what you can get for more money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2020 3:58 AM

This grand old lady is only $279,000. It looks like they were having an estate sale when the photos were taken. Housing is dirt cheap there, compared to where I live in CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2020 4:04 AM

$299,900 and almost move in ready. I'm in shock. This place would be one million plus here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2020 4:08 AM

R5....the police brutality? The riots? Stop thinking what you see on the news is reality for the vast majority of people in NYC. It certainly is not.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2020 4:10 AM

R16 You clearly haven't visited Tory recently. Of all the upstate cities it's doing the best, mostly because it's anchored by RPI. It has a vibrant downtown with excellent restaurants and some of the most beautiful housing stock upstate. yes it still has lots of crime and some terrible neighborhoods, but unlike Albany, Utica, Syracuse, etc, it really is making a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2020 4:17 AM

[quote] Syracuse has was never very nice.

Syracuse was once a bucolic getaway. All of those upstate NY cities were once grand -- Syracuse, Buffalo and Albany. I don't know what happened in the last 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 4:18 AM

[R29] We sold out our own people for cheap labor overseas.

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 4:20 AM

R21, I live between two Wegmans here in PA. These past few months I've been living off their Insta-cart delivery, and loving it! Well, I don't love the 20% tip, but it's better than the 'Rona!

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2020 4:35 AM

Exactly, r30. From candy to electronics, from clothing to automobiles, from Mexico and Central America to SE Asia.

Media never speak of the predatory and avaricious Stockholder Class. Example: Romney and Bain (fitting homonym) Capital.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2020 4:40 AM

[quote] I don't know what happened in the last 50 years.

It was probably dominated by manufacturing which shifted to the sunbelt states and then to China and now to Vietnam.

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2020 5:00 AM

Why are cities/towns with major universities often (not always, but often) really dumpy/depressed beyond the university and small swath of the city?

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 5:09 AM

Because R34 the school has money and prosperous students (and parents visiting) and well-paid faculty while the city is on the skids and the residents don’t have 21st century skills or the jobs to use those skills.

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 11:55 AM

R30 damn straight that's what happened. Now we get cheap plastic shit that breaks in less than 6 months, for quadruple the price. Nothing positive about globalization was passed down to consumers, just the shit. And hi "Rochester", Buffalo here ;)

It's a real shame though. Weirdly enough, Buffalo is having a lot of development, making costs rise, screwing over long time residents. I have no idea why all these people are building Mcmansions at 50 (knocking down the scenery) for an average of 50 sunny days per year. Maybe Florida is getting too full.

by Anonymousreply 36August 2, 2020 1:43 PM

Years ago Interstate 81 from Rochester to Syracuse to Binghamton to Scranton to Wilkes Barre to Harrisburg used to be called the Howay. The pimps would move their girls between the cities using Greyhound and Trailways to meet supply and demand which could be affected by any number of factors including arrests. This is in the 70s and 80s when there were still streetwalkers.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2020 2:29 AM

David Tyler Muir is from there!

by Anonymousreply 38August 3, 2020 2:47 AM

David Muir bought a mansion there last year near the Finger Lakes.

He left small town for big city dreams...DTM made it after all!

by Anonymousreply 39August 3, 2020 2:54 AM

Syracuse has always been a shithole OP.

by Anonymousreply 40August 3, 2020 3:04 AM

Isn’t it very Trump/Republican there?

by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2020 3:07 AM

It is so sad about that whole region, and you can include north-eastern Pennsylvania. I think sometimes how amazing that whole region was when there were jobs and industries in all those towns. Coffee shops, bars, all kinds of activity was there when there were things being made. Sometimes I Google Earth that area and the cities and you can see how they were once bustling places of commerce and activity. Now the stores are all closed, and maybe there is a Subway store mixed in in an area that was probably packed with people day and night. I wish there was a way to bring these cities back.

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2020 3:11 AM

I take it when people say they want to have a house upstate, they don’t mean in the likes of Syracuse?

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2020 3:15 AM

As a New Jersey native, "upstate" is anything above the Tappan Zee for New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2020 3:20 AM

R43

NYC peeps want “Upstate” houses in Westchester or Hudson. Definitely not Syracuse.

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2020 3:28 AM

[R37] This is turning into the east coast version of the seedy Hollywood thread. It covers so much more land mass and is a result of economic prosperity gone belly up. The main businesses are lonely strip clubs, porn shops, and gun stores. Hell yeah, America! This is especially prevalent in central Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2020 3:30 AM

Most NYC folk have never even been to Syracuse.

Isn’t like farmland and corn fields up there?

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2020 3:49 AM

[R47] No, Zsa Zsa, it’s a lot more than corn fields. Your opioids probably came through here.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2020 4:05 AM

Apparently, they raise closeted, republican, thirsty anchormen up in Syracuse.

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2020 4:47 AM

I just did a weekend in the Finger Lakes and it was stunning. But once we left Aurora there were Trump/Pence signs EVERYWHERE. Very disturbing.

I was in the Lake Erie, PA area for work last year and it was really cute. A lot of wineries and good restaurants. Surprised people say it’s a total shithole.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2020 5:28 AM

David Muir’s family are Trumpers???

by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2020 5:44 AM

Rochester was a more white collar and science city, with Kodak, Xerox and Bausch & Lomb headquarters. A lot of art, culture... and also was designed to be very segregated. It has lost a lot with those companies being down in the dumps or gone (a resurgence of Kodak last week!). Still has great public market and is a nice city, despite awful weather!

Troy NY has the best bones... the city has so much potential... I really like it every time I am there!

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2020 2:47 PM

It has been a very long time but I lived in Syracuse for a few years. Yes it was old & dirty (albeit there were beautiful sections and the geographic area is gorgeous) but there was an incredible spirit to the city and it fit right in with the times. At the height of the anti-war days it was a great place to be. On the day and night of the moratorium the office buildings in downtown emptied and joined the students in the streets. It was glorious and united and hopeful and we didn't even try to burn a courthouse down. Well, at least not most of us. But it was a very liberal city.

The men in Syracuse were a wonderful mix of liberal & educated but from mostly working-class families. They were smart and on their way to professional jobs but they were willing to get their hands dirty changing oil and putting chains on your tires. These were not men who lived in their mothers' basements and whined about shit. I've heard the men in Pittsburg were similar.

So just a nod to a really interesting and, for me, formative time and place.

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2020 7:27 PM

Upstate new York should really be called Buffalo. The lake outside Syracuse is seriously toxic isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2020 7:35 PM

How weird to read r5's post, which I could have written -- I too am from Wayne County, right in between Rochester and Syracuse. I haven't lived there in 20+ years, I ran as soon as I graduated college. But my family's all there and I visit every six months or so. Or I did before the pandemic -- I haven't been back since it began.

Rochester's a much better city than Syracuse, IMO -- I would actually consider moving back to Rochester some day. Some of the old houses in Rochester have to be seen to believed -- just these massive spectacular things.

by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2020 7:38 PM

OP you should order some home made candy from Hercules Candy Co. in East Syracuse. They'll have to bring it to the door for you due to the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 3, 2020 7:44 PM

This thread is unbelievable. Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party is in bed with Wall Street and supported the TPP trade deal that screwed American workers over big time, but you all are APPALLED!! that working people upstate might support Trump, who at least made some noises about China and outsourcing American industry. The condescension of you "flyover" types is just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2020 7:44 PM

Two years ago I visited Syracuse for the first time. A short stay. One night. Then on to Rochester.

I went to the Wolf's Den, a Syracuse gay bar. When I walked in, the bartender said, "You're new in town." I told him, yes, I had just arrived that afternoon on my first visit to Syracuse. He replied, "I'm sorry for you. Why???"

I stayed an hour or so. Everyone was friendly. I had a good enough time. One of the bar patrons said, "We have a better bar here in Syracuse. Follow me to Rain." So I drove behind him to the Rain Lounge.

When I walked in, the lesbian bartender said, "There's a new face. We've never seen you here before." And I told her it was my first day in Syracuse. She told me, "That's so sad that you ended up in Syracuse. What can I get you?"

The first greeting was odd, but to have it happen twice? Is the town and everyone in it really that depressed?

While I was at Rain, a man struck up a conversation with me. At one point, he reached over and took my hand and asked, "Might I have permission to court you?" I declined.

My experience there was notably strange.

by Anonymousreply 58August 3, 2020 7:47 PM

r57 is the racist Rochester gay who just attacked the BLM mural in NYC no doubt

by Anonymousreply 59August 3, 2020 7:48 PM

R57 is on point. The class war in the United States is because workers were abandoned by the liberals. And neo liberals still don't get it. They don't want to as they took to Wall Street after Reagan came to power.

The Democratic Party may be said to be run by Reagan Liberals.

by Anonymousreply 60August 3, 2020 7:56 PM

The couple times I was in the Syracuse area, I was struck by how they never bothered to tear down the factories. Some of them are quite ruined and look like some wrecked castle in Scotland -- there is no way you could simply switch on the lights again in the unlikely event that the work came back. It must be a depressing reminder for the residents. And there are literal factory towns, a big factory and all the homes and businesses that sprung up around it, and then the open road all around. The factory is closed, but the people still live there.

by Anonymousreply 61August 3, 2020 8:09 PM

I have no idea why I clicked on this thread, but it has been a lovely read of men (possibly a woman or two) discussing something civilly. Thanks, guys!

by Anonymousreply 62August 3, 2020 8:14 PM

[Quote] The factory is closed, but the people still live there.

They were there for the most part before the factories.

by Anonymousreply 63August 3, 2020 8:19 PM

They are 120 years old?

by Anonymousreply 64August 3, 2020 8:23 PM

I grew up in DeWitt a suburb, I have to say I loved growing up there and I even returned for a while after college, had a great time. It isn't the same city I remember. It is much poorer and more run down but it always seems that way due to the 6 months of winter. There are some bright spots, the factories are being turned into apartments, the downtown is a lot more lively, many buildings being converted to apartments. Decent food scene for a city its size. Lovely landscapes and towns around there. And the people are fun and hilarious. It's because Syracusans are constantly being shit on, we know the weather sucks, the economy is challenged - has been since the 70's. I still love a cloudy day, I could never live in a super sunny climate, I blame Syracuse.

by Anonymousreply 65August 3, 2020 8:45 PM

R55 is the perfect response...Rochesterians love their city...Syracusans are much less likely to rave about their city but we have good kind of morose sense of humor, even though people from Rochester go to Syracuse and Buffalo cuz they don't have any sports teams.

People are buying second homes in the Finger Lakes which Syracuse and Rochester are both part of. Granted they aren't buying houses in either city.

by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2020 8:52 PM

I remember Dewitt and Fayetteville as very nice suburbs. Hope they still are. I used to ride out in Manlius.

Lake Onondaga is actually in the city. Part of it also borders Liverpool, a suburb. For a while in the early 70s I thought there was some progress on cleaning it up. Sad to hear they never accomplished it. It should be a major asset. Maybe they should never have built that highway next to it.

My mother born and raised in NYC thought the Saugerties was as upstate as it got, wherever the hell they are. The rest was just wilderness.

by Anonymousreply 67August 3, 2020 9:10 PM

I remember Syracuse. It was so... grey. .

by Anonymousreply 68August 3, 2020 9:10 PM

I've spent a lot of time in western NY state for work, rochester, Buffalo, Ithaca, Elmyra and yes, Syracuse.

syracuse strikes me as the most hard hit, the survivors more desperate for outside contact. there is some great architecture, but beside the school there isn't much else left there

by Anonymousreply 69August 3, 2020 9:14 PM

Well there is a school with 20k students and a Upstate Medical complex so it’s a big college town with plenty of NYC area kids, international students, faculty it is the biggest employer in the city. Onondaga Lake was cleaned up, I think Honeywell was responsible for a lot of the clean up so the lake is in better shape than I can remember. My Mom and sister still live up there

by Anonymousreply 70August 3, 2020 9:39 PM

I went to school there years ago and remember the grey days, the constant wind, the snow — it seemed to snow two inches every day, and middle-of-the-night drunken forays to the All Night Eggplant.

by Anonymousreply 71August 3, 2020 10:30 PM

Is Syracuse named after Siracusa, Italy?

by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2020 10:33 PM

The Finger Lakes is a seriously underrated wine destination. Excellent dry reislings there.

by Anonymousreply 73August 3, 2020 10:42 PM

I fully expect the Finger Lakes to become a wine hot spot before long. When I went to school in the area in the 90s, there were a lot of very new wineries and young vineyards, and the quality of the wine reflected that. There were a few more established wineries that really showed how good the wine could be, though.

I was just back there a few years ago, and I found the wine be much better overall. Also, the vineyards there have started supplying wineries in other parts of the country, mostly nearby in the Midwest, so the awareness of the region is growing.

by Anonymousreply 74August 3, 2020 11:07 PM

Hi R55! Thanks so much for the reply! That’s awesome that you are from Wayne County as well. I’m happy to hear that you made your way out of the area. I myself sure would love to do the same but with the COVID-19 pandemic, I’m stuck here longer than initially hoped.

Yes, I prefer Rochester as a city. Then again, I’m biased because I’ve been there more than Syracuse and know the area much more than the latter. Pittsford is one of my favorite areas in Rochester. It’s really nice there.

R62 Greetings from Upstate/Western New York State! I hope you stay healthy and well.

by Anonymousreply 75August 4, 2020 12:48 AM

Yes R72 and the Italians are as thick as flies in Syracuse NY. At least it was like that when I lived there.It may as well be an extension of New Jersey. Love Siracusa, Sicily a beautiful city.

by Anonymousreply 76August 4, 2020 1:26 AM

R57, for all of trump's noise about making America great again he has never stopped manufacturing his goods in China. How anyone can support blatant lying and hypocrisy is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 77August 4, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote]Trump, who at least made some noises

Yes, dis somethink happens all the day. Smell is worse than noises though, und dis from one whose poosey stinks!

by Anonymousreply 78August 4, 2020 6:37 AM

Sounds like downtown Omaha.

*Re-represses memories*

by Anonymousreply 79August 4, 2020 6:41 AM

A lot of these cities look and are a lot different than they did/were 30-40 years ago in the 70s and 80s. They're not the same as in their boomtown days prior to 1950 but they're not the images the term rust belt was created for either. You have to spend more than a day or two there to get to know them and the people well and explore them a bit beyond the visitors brochure and what's right off the interstate. I'm always shocked by some of the people I run into from all over the world visiting here because of the Office. There's really not much to see here related to the show but these people are adventurous and have perspective and really make efforts to mingle with and know the locals and the area. Americans don't view smaller cities like this.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2020 8:49 AM

Syracuse never recovered after Caroma closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2020 9:14 AM

What's it like in Syracuse in the winter?

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2021 3:18 PM

Syracuse is a pit. But little Ithaca is "Gorges"! At least in summer and fall. Central NY is pretty dark in the winter. New York City has good winter light.

by Anonymousreply 83February 10, 2021 3:38 PM

Huge brain drain in so many of those Upstate NY cities.

All the young professionals are moving away because there is no industry there any more.

Whenever you go to a city where the healthcare is the biggest industry, you know it's in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 84February 10, 2021 3:41 PM

I was visiting Syracuse on Halloween about a decade ago and it was snowing.

That's when I knew I didn't belong there.

by Anonymousreply 85February 10, 2021 3:42 PM

Try Red’s Gym on Brighton. It’s clean and the guys are friendly.

by Anonymousreply 86February 10, 2021 5:18 PM

Syracuse is very gloomy in the winter and tons of snow..if u make peace with it you can have a lot of fun in the winter up there.

by Anonymousreply 87February 10, 2021 8:51 PM

David Muir’s family lives there.

No wonder he left to make it in the big city.

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2021 10:06 PM

My parents met in Syracuse working at Woolworths - my dad was a manager and my mom was a hairdresser. My dad transferred to Syracuse from Maine and my mom lived in Fayetteville.

by Anonymousreply 89February 10, 2021 10:50 PM

I don't remember beauty parlors in Woolworths. I'm in my 50s.

by Anonymousreply 90February 11, 2021 12:05 AM

That was a very important question for r82 to ask, right as the orange impeachment trial began.

by Anonymousreply 91February 11, 2021 3:06 AM

Is there a gay scene? I think it has a bathhouse, right?

by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2021 3:25 AM

Upstate NY just seems bleak.

by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2021 3:27 AM

R72 and R76, much of Upstate New York was named in the early 19th C out of an atlas. Hence Syracuse, Ithaca, Russia, Delhi, Andes, Poland. The list is long.

For those still in Syracuse, are there still (it is unlikely) the wonderful drag queens called the Cuse Girls?

It is true that the economy of upstate, as well as the rust belt, was destroyed when both parties sold their soul to China for cheap goods, destroying the factories across the belt. Nobody from upstate supports globalization because they have lived its consequences. Imagine my horror, then, when Trump was the first politician to spout some form of incoherent anti-globalization. That he is in fact part of the problem was ignored, of course.

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2021 7:11 AM

very impressive churches in this small city

by Anonymousreply 95February 11, 2021 7:28 AM

Upstate NY is gorgeous for 6 months of the year.

by Anonymousreply 96February 11, 2021 10:30 AM

Syracuse is odd in that it is home to Syracuse University which is Ground Zero for not-very-bright-but-pretty JAPpy girls and boys from the Northeast and a whole mess of other privileged children of all religious and ethnic backgrounds, many of whom want to work in the entertainment industry in some way, shape or form. (The Newhouse School is well-regarded)

And Syracuse has a very well regarded basketball program as well as other D1 sports and their Carrier Dome stadium seats around 50K people and must provide a decent number of jobs.

I've never been, but heard enough stories to understand that there are parts of town that cater to the college crowd..

According to WIkipedia, there are 15K undergrads and 7.5K grad students, so they, and the people who teach them, must have some impact on the community.

And Syracuse Law is President Biden's alma mater and where Beau Biden went to law school as well.

by Anonymousreply 97February 11, 2021 10:39 AM

[quote]Syracuse is odd in that it is home to Syracuse University

What would be odd is if it were home to Arizona State.

by Anonymousreply 98February 11, 2021 10:48 AM

What makes the presence of a university "odd" for.a town.

by Anonymousreply 99February 11, 2021 12:19 PM

Odd that it is so economically depressed despite the presence of a major national university R99

by Anonymousreply 100February 11, 2021 1:19 PM

Major National University? Wow, you must have low standards

by Anonymousreply 101February 11, 2021 1:23 PM

The problem is the University has become the major industry. College kids and professors don't have alot of money

by Anonymousreply 102February 11, 2021 1:24 PM

The city must be suffering further, economically. All of the houses that were highlighted in this thread are currently on the market AGAIN, after being purchased last year, and two of the three are selling for less than their purchase price last year.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 103February 11, 2021 2:11 PM

Like others have said Syracuse us emblematic of small to mid-size city learning to cope with the new reality. I grew up there and the economy and population have been declining for decades. The University is now the largest employer and the city had a very diversified workforce but mostly in manufacturing. There are some bright spots..Amazon is building a new warehouse and Cuomo have improved the Airport and all Airports in the State. Still it is a poor city and most people want to move. The downtown area is thriving although the tallest building was build in the 1930's!

by Anonymousreply 104February 11, 2021 4:20 PM

And now, winter in Texas is proving to be far worse than winter in Syracuse, NY.

Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 105February 17, 2021 7:05 PM

One thing Syracuse is good at is Winter

by Anonymousreply 106February 18, 2021 12:14 AM

I just got a covid vaccine appointment! In Syracuse. Next week. At 11:30 p.m.

A building at the state fair grounds has become a 24 hour testing site. Between midnight and 6 a.m., there are lots of available appointments. And they have the J&J vaccine. One shot and you're done.

by Anonymousreply 107March 5, 2021 3:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!