Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ant Colony Annihilation

During quarantine I've developed an affinity for dismantling the nervous systems of ants by feeding them brown sugar laced with boric acid, ultimately rendering the Queen infertile.

Have you ever used boric acid for ants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2020 12:10 AM

Is it safe around pets?

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 2:04 AM

You can cut a tissue box in half and poke holes in the side and mix it in there. Keep away from pets outside so they don't eat it and put it where you see a lot of ants marching,

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 2:09 AM

The boric acid eats through insects’ chitinous exoskeletons. It is a fairly mild acid but is deadly for arthropods; it is safe for dogs and cats.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 2:09 AM

I was weeding and destroyed a large ant colony. It made me very sad to see them running amok. I could relate.

When they get into the house, though, I have to draw the line. I’d rather repel them than kill them, but sometimes you have to assert dominance.

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 2:21 AM

OP there are 10,000 trillion ants in the world, you better hope they don't come after you for this.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote] you better hope they don't come after you for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 2:23 AM

I would think most DLers would be against the matriarchal communist society of ants.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 2:53 AM

Joan Collins once kissed an ant? Isn't that the height of avant-garde style?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 3:06 AM

I, for one, WELCOME our insect overloads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 9:55 AM

Lime juice destroys the exoskeleton of the ant. I learned this from someone I suspect is a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 1:41 PM

I find the fact you "have developed an affinity" rather questionable.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 1:56 PM

So could I leave this in my apartment to get rid of ants? We get tiny ants in my building some summers and no matter how clean I am I still see a few.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 10:57 PM

Just stop leaving food out OP, or remove it from the area when you see them, and they will quietly go away. No need to be a dickhead and torture innocent animals to death.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 11:00 PM

R12 Ants are drawn to it and create a trail back to the queen, so it's best to put it outside where you think they are entering. You might want to spray a regular pesticide if you don't have outside access.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2020 12:02 AM

Borax ant poison isn’t as effective as the old kind with arsenic.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2020 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!