Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How gay are my favorite movies?

Just how gay are my favorite movies? Haha

Nicholas & Alexandra Doctor Zhivago Lawrence of Arabia Gandhi Titanic My Fair Lady Becket The English Patient

Classy or pretentious? Haha

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2021 9:23 PM

I also like Theatre of Blood a lot!

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2020 12:15 AM

Pretentious would be shoehorning in films by Tarkovsky, Bergman, Kurosawa, etc. Your taste is Hollywood blockbusters of yesteryear that fraus love.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote] Nicholas & Alexandra

It's supergay! The whole movie is just basically the four grand duchesses constantly scissoring or muff-diving each other, while their parents and brother and Rasputin watch.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2020 12:18 AM

I enjoy those films because they are better made. Better acted, better direction, better shots, etc

Sam Spiegel is an underrated filmmaking legend!

by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2020 12:20 AM

Rasputin is played by Tom Baker, who a few years later went on to play the definitive version of 'Doctor Who'.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 12:20 AM

R4 Better than what?

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 12:21 AM

Not gay. Gay is Mommie Dearest and All About Eve or Written on the Wind or shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 12:29 AM

OP, were you worried that the use of commas would be considered classy or pretentious?

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 12:30 AM

Gay would be something like the classic Plein Soleil starring dreamy Alain Delon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 12:31 AM

pretentiousssss.....

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 12:35 AM

I saw N & A about 20 times in the theater. Years later I was in London in a movie bookstore. I started talking to a guy who worked for Spiegel. When I told him about my love for N & A, he literally shuddered. “That dog!” They we’re hoping that Michael Jayston was going to be the next Peter O’Toole and Janet Suzman would become a film star to match her theatrical renown.

I never thought of it as “gay,” as such, but its incredible artifice, sumptuous costumes, and royalty-centric story (and that tragic end for them all) was catnip for me as a gayling. Only now do I recognize it’s absurd campiness.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 12:39 AM

*its

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 12:40 AM

I’m sorry for the comma less text. It typed out like a list and then posted in paragraph form.

R11 it might be campy, but Laurence Olivier and Michael Redgrave give badass small performances.

I’m only 23 lol

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 12:42 AM

OP thinks that quality is determined by running time.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 12:43 AM

My pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 12:44 AM

I don't think any of them are particularly gay. You apparently aren't afraid to commit several hours to allow a story to be told.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 12:49 AM

R11, Michael Jayston has gone on to become a successful British character actor, but it's true that he didn't have a big career in the U.S. Janet Suzman did receive an Oscar nomination and was made a Dame, but she didn't go on to have a Hollywood career, either.

Tom Baker received a Golden Globe nomination for Rasputin, but as I mentioned above, went on to become famous for 'Doctor Who'.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 2:45 AM

I have asked for one autograph in my life, and Dame Janet was kind enough to send me one. 25 years later I had some workmen in the house and one of them stole it thinking that it might be worth some thing.

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 11:57 AM

The shortest film on OP's list is 148 min long! He sure likes 'em long.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 9:20 PM

OP here revisiting past posts.

The problem with Michael Jayston and Janet Suzman in this movie is not their performances, but the performances of the others.

Tom Baker, Jack Hawkins, Michael Redgrave, Harry Andrews, Irene Worth, Timothy West, John Wood, Ian Holm, Eric Porter, Maurice Denham, Julian Glover, Brian Cox, and Sir Laurence Olivier all out act Jayston and Suzman.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2021 8:00 PM

R20 you didn’t add haha this time

Haha

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote] Classy or pretentious?

Oh, Karen. You're not capable of being either. You are just trashy. Camaro trashy.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2021 8:07 PM

OP, your tastes are remarkably like mine; did you also major in history?

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2021 8:12 PM

Mine: Chinatown, all about Eve, a Summer Place, play Misty for me, Barry Lyndon, Mildred Pierce, the talented Mr. Ripley, Saturday night fever, match point, once upon a Time in Hollywood. Pretty gay I’d say.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2021 8:26 PM

Lawrence of Arabia is one of the gayest movies ever made. Lawrence isn’t “merely” gay; his being gay (and being a sadomasochist) is what drives the plot. It gets more amazing, and unnerving, every time I see it.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2021 8:55 PM

R25 Wrong. Sir Donald Wolfitt should have played Lawrence. It would have been a much better movie lol

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2021 9:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!