Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jackson Heights - the new IT place to be?

For gay New Yorkers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 4:55 PM

... Says who?

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 6:52 PM

So now you’re trying to make that the “new Manhattan” too? God I hope BLM starts wiping you fuckers out.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 6:57 PM

Astoria has long been home to a large Greek-American community, not known for their tolerance. But at least it also has good Indian food now.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 6:58 PM

Astoria is not Jackson Heights, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 7:15 PM

I preferred Brooklyn Heights.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 7:19 PM

Is there still a traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights?

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 7:55 PM

I've thought the proximity to La Guardia would make it a desirable neighborhood, especially for gay flight attendants and airline workers. It would probably be much cheaper rent-wise than anything on Manhattan or Manhattan-adjacent Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 8:56 PM

Get out.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 8:57 PM

Oh god I hope not. I was raised in Jackson Heights before escaping to college in Colorado. Only upside was being within bus or short walk to Shea Stadium and the World's Fair. Otherwise, dull, dirty and boring. I realize dull and boring are similar but believe me, JH was Really dull and boring!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 9:00 PM

R9, "dull and boring" is very appealing right now to many in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 12:25 AM

NYC is boring now.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 12:29 AM

I'm going out there today to visit.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 2:17 PM

Don't you people realize that there's an entire country out here? Where you can own an affordable home, a car, a yard. Where you don't have to live like college students the rest of your life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 2:41 PM

Exactly. And have washer and dryers and central air in your home

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 2:50 PM

R7

The majority of gay flight attendants live in Kew Gardens.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 2:55 PM

That’s antisemitic

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 2:59 PM

I dated a guy who lived there about five years ago. It was (relatively) cheap, very noisy and bustling. There were a million little ethnic restaurants. I have a very specific memory of going to a Burmese restaurant. It was, uh, different.

It reminds me of what the LES used to be ages ago. Only all the way in fucking Queens.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 3:03 PM

Jackson Heights is almost TOO hot 🔥right now!

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 3:03 PM

We live in Kew Gardens facing Forest Park, designed by Olmsted who also designed Central Park...it even has its own Ramble. My partner dragged me kicking and screaming from upper Manhattan almost two decades ago. By making this move were able to pay cash for a 2br/2b prewar building, allowing us to travel and retire without debt. My sense is that, like me, the thought of leaving Manhattan is traumatic for many gay men. My advice is to explore Queens and other NYC boroughs, you will find a supportive gay community if you look😽

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 3:08 PM

Maybe learn how to live outside a bubble, ghetto?!

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 3:21 PM

Jackson Heights - the new IT place to be? For gay LATIN New Yorkers?

FIXED.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 3:27 PM

If it’s a minority area, and you are white, keep out.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 3:32 PM

Jackson Heights has been a gay area for at least 20 years. A few gay bars. On commercial streets, 37th Avenue , 74th and 82nd streets we now see people from India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan who own many businesses, one block is known as Bangladesh Plaza. Manhattanites know It's worth the twenty-minute $2.75 ride on the "E"train for supermarkets that are much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 3:35 PM

A friend grew up in the South Bronx. In 1960 his father said "we're moving to the country." His father thought since Jackson Heights had trees it must be the country.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 3:40 PM

A friend grew up in the South Bronx. In 1960 his father said "we're moving to the country." His father thought since Jackson Heights had trees it must be the country.

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 3:40 PM

R19, moving to Kew Gardens was a smart move back when you did it. It's definitely a neighborhood that you can grow old in since it has everything within walking distance. I've gone many times to the Kew Gardens movie theater and I love to walk around the area because it's so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 3:50 PM

Is this 1992? Jackson Heights has been the gay center of Queens for decades. As evidenced by the gay bars being there.

I’ve always liked it. Primarily because I’m into Hispanic men - and this is gay Hispanic heaven. It’s also has great food and diversity. The courtyard apartments are huge and nice.

But - it is a hike from Manhattan. I think it’s a great place to live if you don’t have to be in Manhattan regularly. It’s as close to old time NYC as it gets in 2020. I would definitely choose it over Brooklyn. But would probably choose Washington Heights first - as it’s such an easy commute to downtown Manhattan and has all the Hispanic men too. And a great hospital - which as I get older is important as the Lower West Side lacks any hospitals.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 4:03 PM

15 minutes subway ride to Manhattan, R77. E, F, R, and W.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 4:08 PM

R19

Great area; Park Lane South and Metropolitan Avenue. Used to live a few blocks south on 111th Street. When I was younger I used to dream about buying one of those houses on Park Lane South facing the Park. Years ago one of them was the home of the Mueller Macaroni family; I doubt it's still theirs, but it was a beautiful house and grounds.

Great place to retire; you were very smart. There was a bus on that corner that would go right to the E & F trains. Don't know if it still does. I think it was the Q37.

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 4:09 PM

Forest Hills is bougie, but nice.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 4:11 PM

How about whites keep out of Hispanic areas? Look at Washington Heights, or most parts of Brooklyn for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 4:13 PM

I wanna live with hot Dominicans

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!