Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Don Murray turns 91 today!

Star of the infamous Advise and Consent gay political blackmail potboiler. Spoiler alert: he kills himself. But the movie has some tremendously entertaining bits despite the kill-your-gays predictability. The gay bar and the portly pimp scenes are supreme.

Happy birthday Don! You were sweetly sexy in Bus Stop, and you ended up a hot daddy by the time you coasted into Endless Love and Knots Landing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2020 2:44 AM

How bittersweetly ironic since it's been 30 years since Steve Shaw, who played his son on [italic]Knots[/italic], died in a car accident.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 6:35 PM

He was one sexy man back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 6:36 PM

OP -- you just ruined the movie for all of us who haven't seen it.

You are an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 6:38 PM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 6:39 PM

I saw him in a movie a few years ago (can't remember which movie) and they had him poured into the tightest pair of pants I've ever seen on a man. And he was sporting the biggest basket I've seen in a long time. His pants were so tight his crotch came into camera focus a full 30 seconds before the rest of him did. 😨😁

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:40 PM

I thought he was fantastic and funny in the Twin Peaks reboot. And super sexy in a towel in Bus Stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 6:55 PM

It’s from 1962, r3. Did you think he might NOT kill himself?

Besides, his character is incidental to the best parts of the movie. At one point there was an entire thread dedicated to the ass of his former lover from the army. Does anyone have his name?

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 7:03 PM

^ John Granger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 7:16 PM

Larry Tucker, as "Manuel" steals the fucking show in that movie. Manuel is consummate DL material. It's a pity they didn't put him into a caftan.

From the link:

As Manuel, the one man who can put a panicky U.S. Senator in touch with the central figure in a blackmail scheme, Tucker plays a gentle, soft-spoken, fey and immense gay man living in the West Village. At that time and in other hands, the role likely would have been played flaming, flouncing, and over the top, but Tucker plays it low-key and straight (so to speak) and once again fully realized. He also plays it with an air of quiet menace and mystery, divulging little as he hints around how and where the senator might find the man he’s looking for. In many ways his Manuel parallels Fat Ralph. Both characters are necessary go-betweens who try to be as courteous as possible while dealing with a very anxious type who just wants something and wants it now, and both busy themselves with other things while discussing business. While Ralph tended to his rats, Manuel, despite his massive girth, flows smoothly about the apartment preparing a cup of tea as he calmly explains the set-up to the senator, including the fee involved. But while Ralph was deeply hurt by Frank’s rejection of his hospitality, Manuel seems to accept it as a matter of course. It’s a quick but memorable scene, and even that late in the film, a pivotal one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 7:24 PM

The only thing I remember him from was Knots Landing. He was really excellent on that... the kind of old fashioned, kind paterfamilias that just doesn’t exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 7:26 PM

Butt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 7:27 PM

Marilyn aged better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 9:11 PM

Don't forget The Hoodlum Priest, a movie he helped write.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 9:30 PM

The title alone is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 9:41 PM

Late entry into the Planet of the Apes original franchise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 9:49 PM

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes is not the zenith of that series.

Don looked great in black, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 9:53 PM

Let's all say a prayer for Sid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 9:59 PM

I want r17 blown up and hanging over my mantel.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 10:11 PM

Don looks hot when he's enraged.

Zeffirelli could have really taken Endless Love with Martin Hewitt in another direction here.

I like to think these would be their fuck faces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 12:21 AM

This is a joke right? He can’t possibly still be alive?

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 12:35 AM

He’s 91 years young!

He acted in the Twin Peaks Reboot last year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 1:09 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 1:31 AM

Ascot with bulging sweater?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 4:50 AM

Co-star Otis Young was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 4:52 AM

Kneeling sailor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 4:57 PM

Mortally injured.

Tenderly adored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 5:01 PM

Dong Murray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 5:08 PM

Wow! Didn't realize he was that old. I was a faithful viewer of Knot's Landing. Loved that show.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 5:13 PM

With then wife Hope Lange as WML? mystery guests in 1958.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 5:18 PM

I first thought OP said BILL Murray!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 5:22 PM

R30 wow. Bill murray looking old. Not ready for thT bit of truth

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2020 5:26 PM

That commentary at OP's link is incorrect.

Charles Laughton was not playing a Joe McCarthy character.

If any character was, that would have been the Senator played by George Grizzard....

Spolier follows ...

who ended up being ignored by all the Senators when his part in the blackmail is discovered. This actor surely mimics McCarthy's censure by the Senate.

... Spolier ends

BTW, I remember seeing pictures in Look or Life Magazine when I was kid of the big party scene at the movie's beginning. As I recall, Fiddle and Faddle were mentioned in the photo captions.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2020 5:28 PM

R5, in "Bus Stop," he comes out of the bathroom in his long underwear, sporting a sizeable basket and fine ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2020 5:30 PM

Rear view

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2020 5:32 PM

^^^ That should have been "Spoiler" twice.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 5:34 PM

The gays from the infamous gay bar scene from Advise & Consent.

Don Murray is looking down from a balcony of sorts into the basement. I think it's a metaphor for a descent into depravity.

All the gays are eyeballing Don. The bartender offers a friendly greeting which sends him into a gay panic tailspin. The old lover follows him onto the street where there is a scuffle.

We are definitely meant to interpret Don as cured of his sickness, but his past creeps back in. It is not a positive gay movie by any means. But the gay bar scene is pretty great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 11:46 PM

He talks about Advise and Consent at about 3:25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 11:52 PM

The Hoodlum Priest looks promising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2020 1:54 AM

Has he said much about Marilyn? He got an Oscar nomination for Bus Stop whilst her best scenes were cut

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2020 2:17 AM

Isn’t his son Chris gay?

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2020 2:22 AM

WHET that effortless , masculine sexiness men used to have ???

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2020 2:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!