Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Public Ivy vs Private Ivy

Private Ivy- Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Univ of Penn, Princeton, & Yale.

Public Ivy- William & Mary, Miami Univ, Univ of California, Univ of Michigan, UNC, UT Austin, Univ of Vermont, & Univ of Virginia.

Why anyone would pick Cornell over the Public Ivy's is an absolute idiot.

Agree or Disagree?

by Anonymousreply 158August 5, 2020 3:47 PM

UT Austin and Univ of Vermont are public Ivy? Never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 6:26 PM

I had poison ivy on my ass last week. I had to go to the ER at 1 am!

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 6:27 PM

What’s wrong with Cornell?

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 6:27 PM

No you'd have better connections from going to Cornell than going to any of those gigantic public Ivies.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 6:27 PM

R3, if you have to ask...

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:28 PM

OP, you forgot UNC Chapel Hill. Never heard University of Vermont was considered a public ivy.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 6:29 PM

NO such thing as a public ivy

That said, public schools are only cheaper if you live in those states.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 6:29 PM

^ Oh wait, you said UNC. Nevermind,

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 6:29 PM

The biggest problem with Cornell is it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

My friend's son was choosing between Berkeley and Cornell. Because they live in California, Berkeley would be much cheaper.

The decision to go to Berkeley was finalized when they realized that they would see their son, at most, twice a year if he went to Cornell over Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 6:31 PM

W&M, UNC, and Texas beat Cornell by a long shot.

Andy Bernard ruined Cornell's reputation. Hell, I would pick Syracuse in the ivy League over Cornell any day. Columbia is only goo if you want to be chained to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 6:31 PM

I transferred from Harvard to Berkeley, and my days at Berkeley were some of the happiest of my life. Never will forget going on motorcycle rides up Mt. Tamalpais, and biking through the Berkeley Hills, picnics at People's Park. Also I was there during drought years so there was plenty of sunshine.

My sister graduated from Harvard as did her husband. Their lives are no different from mine. I am a doctor. My sister is an estate Lawyer and my brother in law is a professor (tenured) at DePaul University in Chicago (like many PhDs in English in the early mid 90's, he had a tough time getting a tenure track job, despite his degrees from Harvard - he lucked out with Chicago as he had gotten offers from Kansas and Alabama).

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 6:34 PM

Columbia is not just "goo" if you want to be chained to NYC.

It's one of the top ten universities in the world.

OP clearly didn't go to any of these schools.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 6:35 PM

UC Berkeley has produced more Nobel winners than the former USSR.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 6:38 PM

Poison Ivy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 6:41 PM

There is no such thing as public Ivy ffs. Dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 6:58 PM

It is clear that R15 neither attended a private nor a pubclic Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 7:00 PM

What the fuck is UT Austin or University of Vermont good for? nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 7:00 PM

Cornell is only good for hospitality studies.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 7:01 PM

UT Austin is good, it's never referred to as a public ivy though, ever. Virginia and Berkeley, yes.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 7:01 PM

No mention of Stanford?

Brown is just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 7:05 PM

Richard Moll, who first coined the term "Public Ivy" included UT Austin on his original list in the 80s. Now if it should still be considered one, that's a different story. I'm not familiar with UT Austin.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 7:06 PM

What about the poison ivy on my ass? I had to get 2 steroid shots in my ass muscle at 1 am!!

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 7:08 PM

UT has grown in reputation over the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote] Why anyone would pick Cornell over the Public Ivy's is an absolute idiot.

If you meant to write the plural of "Public Ivy," that would be "the Public Ivies." "The Public Ivy's" is the possessive form of "the Public Ivy," not the plural form.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 7:18 PM

The idea of "Public Ivy" is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 7:25 PM

Then there are the Poison Ivy schools -- like Baylor or Oral Roberts or the University of Oklahoma -- where all that matters is what frat you belong to, how often you go to church, and how many gays you can bash.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 7:48 PM

R26 Baylor is full of closeted Aaron Schock types

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 7:49 PM

Private Ivy Ho

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2020 7:51 PM

Cornell has excellent basic sciences and the least asshole-ish grads of the Ivies.

Miami is definitely a rung down from the public Ivies: Michigan, Wisconsin, Berkeley, maybe UVa. UT-Austin is at least half a step down. UNC, too---it's treading on an old reputation for undergrad---very good med school and one of the best public health schools. William and Mary is really more like a public liberal arts college, along with Evergreen, Santa Cruz; and some of the smaller, arty SUNYs.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2020 7:55 PM

r20 Stanford is not a public school

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2020 8:20 PM

Why would anyone go to Cornell when there are equivalent schools in better locations? Ithaca is a tiny blue dot in a redneck, dying part of NYS. A friend who went there said in the winter you had to go through underground tunnels to get to anything on campus. And don’t forget suicide gorge. A lot of kids offed themselves there until Cornell put in fences and patrols.

This reminds me of that endless debate about Who is the Harvard of the South. Duke? Emory? Vanderbilt? UVA? I’m no fan of Harvard, but you never see it claiming to be the X of the North.

Georgetown (not a pretender to the throne) grad

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 8:36 PM

Good lord. So much misinformation.

I went to William and Mary and then transferred to Cornell.

Cornell is such a better school. Plus three of the colleges ARE public so you’re paying public school tuition for an Ivy League diploma. So many people from downstate that yes, you make great connections.

It is in the middle of nowhere but so is Dartmouth. Who cares.

Winters are cold but there are literally no tunnels on campus. Your friend is either flat out lying or mixing up with a different college.

And yes, about one person a year attempts suicide. One. I’d imagine it’s the same as many competitive school.

The hotelies are not the smartest but damn they work hard and it is literally one of the two best programs in the world.

Same with ILR.

Ag school not amazing undergrad but one of the tops grad programs.

A Cornell diploma is worth way more than William and Mary or UT Austin. Maybe not UNC.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 9:59 PM

NYU is better than all of them.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 10:21 PM

We refer to Hudson University as Private Pervy.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 10:37 PM

Make college free and end the reign of elitists.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2020 10:44 PM

Go back to your fifth-grade grammar lessons, OP.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 1:25 AM

Oh no WIllaim and Mary wont do

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2020 1:29 AM

[quote] Good lord. So much misinformation.

Agreed R32

I would not know where to start.

Threads like this always make me sad. Gay men try so hard and everyone sees through them anyway. Just be who you are.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2020 1:34 AM

Although not an Ivy, Stanford could be considered at the Top Tier.

I'll never forget when an HR director tried to say that a degree from Tennessee was as prestigious as one from UCLA or Cal. That was on a sports board and she was laughed off it and later admitted that she was a Lady Vol

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2020 1:44 AM

i chose one of those public ivies (UNC) over one of those private ivies (Columbia) for grad school. i can't believe, 30 years later, that i studied with some of those professors, already then world class names and who will be legends for generations.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote] i can't believe, 30 years later, that i studied with some of those professors, already then world class names and who will be legends for generations.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2020 1:56 AM

i'll add that in my biz, Cornell is tops, along with Princeton, Michigan, and Berkeley. don't get the Cornell slagging above.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2020 2:00 AM

I disagree OP. I went to Cornell and loved it. And they give great financial aid. So why wouldn't I have gone there? It's a great big research university but undergrads still get a lot of attention.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2020 2:04 AM

G went to William and Mary. You'd think her doctor father could have afforded a private school. First of many disappointments for G I guess. (three ex-husbands, 7 nominations etc.)

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2020 2:05 AM

UCLA is rated above Cal, Virginia, Michigan... well on your list. It's become the highest rated public university. It's not remotely an "ivy-like" school, other than its academic quality. Hard to know what you are trying to argue on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2020 2:07 AM

R44 I also attended Brown. Which I also found terrific, and very glamorous, too.

The poor little never weres on DL who can never get over not having Ivy degrees for some sad self-esteem problem. Who cares after 10 years anyway? Grow the fuck up.

Most people who go to any of the top 100 schools, for example, are probably proud and probably had a good education and a good time. They don't run around forever regretting they went to UofC instead of Swarthmore or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 2:08 AM

R46 In fact, there community colleges which offer a much more effective academic experience than most "prestige" colleges, private or not. Many or most colleges have large survey classes the first two years, with breakout "labs" often taught by grad student Teaching Assistants - the quality received in community colleges like Santa Barbara of De Anza community colleges in CA is likely superior. I remember seeing some data about DeAnza students transfer to Cal have a higher success rate that those who were admitted as freshman.

If I had a kid, I would put her through the drama of trying to get into an elite college, but would do everything possible to assure she graduate from one.... and a good public one would be just peachy.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 2:15 AM

Rank them (the Ivies) in order guys. Use five word explanations of the rank next to each one.

Don’t bother with the pseudo Ivies.

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 2:17 AM

As long as need blind admissions and full need financial aid holds, the very elite private colleges are not really an issue.

Go after insane tuition that most average folks have to pay at state or private colleges for average folks.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 2:18 AM

In order of hot guys: (hottest to just relatively hot)

Harvard

Brown

Yale

Princeton

Cornell

Dartmouth

Colombia

Penn

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 2:20 AM

Colombia? Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2020 2:22 AM

Most likely to meet (and possibly fuck) billionaire spawn:

Harvard

Brown

Yale

Columbia

Princeton

Dartmouth

Penn

Cornell

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2020 2:23 AM

oopsie

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2020 2:23 AM

R50 You are so wrong. I spent 2 years at Harvard in the late 80's and there were few attractive men. Lots of nerds and inbred preppies.

I transferred to Berkeley and there were so many hot men there. Fit, tanned, Californian...heaven.

by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2020 2:23 AM

Gayest to hardly gay

Yale

Brown

Harvard

Columbia

Princeton

Cornell

Penn

Dartmouth

by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2020 2:24 AM

Most expensive gift required to get your dumbass kid accepted:

Harvard

Yale

Columbia

Princeton

Brown

Dartmouth

Cornell

Penn

by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2020 2:27 AM

Ivy means five, as in the points on the leaf. Revise the list OP.

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2020 2:27 AM

Maybe lots of nerds in Harvard but I spent a summer in Boston and oh boy.... Sooooooo many hot, hot college boys.

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2020 2:29 AM

[Quote] UNC, UT

Sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2020 2:29 AM

Least Amount of Work Required to Graduate - to most amount

Brown

Harvard

Dartmouth

Penn

Yale

Princeton

Columbia

Cornell

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2020 2:29 AM

I thought Princeton had the hottest guys.

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2020 2:30 AM

There are many colleges with much hotter guys than the Ivy League! So its marginal differences within.

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2020 2:32 AM

Cornell is much better than any of OP's listed "public Ivies" except Berkeley and Ann Arbor, and that's debatable. Virginia isn't as good as a ton of other schools from Washington to UCLA to Illinois. Hell, it's not even as good as Florida. William and Mary isn't in the top 100 schools in the nation Miami U has not been top tier since the McGuffin reader breathed its last UNC and UTA are both overrated. Vermont is only a rumor, not a school

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2020 2:35 AM

Most likely Ivy school cute undergrad to be met at a bar in Saint-Tropez or Verbier.

Brown

Brown

Brown

Brown

Brown

Brown

Brown

Harvard

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2020 2:37 AM

r8 = UCH Alum

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2020 2:38 AM

McGuffey readers, but they were Miami's big contribution to American culture

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2020 2:39 AM

Cleanest to Muskiest Taint

Princeton

Harvard

Columbia

Dartmouth

Yale

Cornell

Penn

Brown

by Anonymousreply 67August 1, 2020 2:44 AM

Easiest to slightly more challenging opportunities to fuck drunk "straight" boys.

Brown

Princeton

Cornell

Dartmouth

Columbia

Harvard

Yale

Penn

by Anonymousreply 68August 1, 2020 2:47 AM

When I worked in tech a few years ago, Cornell grads were definitely in demand - over Yale, Brown, Dartmouth and many of the public "ivys" OP listed.

by Anonymousreply 69August 1, 2020 2:48 AM

It’s crazy that a group of men in their 50’s - 70’s are comparing universities. Actually, it’s sad. You should be comparing accomplishments at this point, and prove that you didn’t peak 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2020 2:48 AM

UCLA has been ranked ahead of Cal and Michigan for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2020 2:52 AM

R70 Sadly most of them are still living in 1982… In their minds

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2020 2:53 AM

R70 Where did you go?

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2020 2:54 AM

Oh blah blah spoken like true paper pushers R70 and R72 "accomplishments." In a country with 330 million people, 295 million are lying about their accomplishments and the others are either mute or too young to speak.

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2020 2:56 AM

Isn’t graduating an accomplishment?

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2020 3:00 AM

[quote] In fact, there community colleges which offer a much more effective academic experience than most "prestige" colleges, private or not.

This is so true. Community colleges are such a great deal. I went to a large public university but honestly, I would have gone to a liberal arts school for the one-on-one attention.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2020 3:03 AM

What' s interesting is how little the rankings have changed in 30 years. This is even clearer in sports. Someone who followed the programs quite closely thirty years ago but hasn't kep up, will likely do better in predicting results than someone who tries using knowledge of the individual players to pick winners, in most sports.

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2020 3:05 AM

Oh Good God, there is no such thing as a "public ivy" college. Ivy League schools are simply, in athletics, members of the Ivy League. Highly-regarded private universities of high scholastic standing: Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University. Any school can affect a collegiate mid-'50s and onward dress and style and many national non-Ivy schools like Stanford, Duke, UVA and MIT are clearly prestigious and have high national rankings comparable to Ivy League schools, but are not "Ivy."

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 3:14 AM

But nothing saves as good as Ivy sounds.

It’s the gold standard, admit it.

The keys to the kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2020 3:18 AM

R79 See my post at R11. Most Ivy grads lead a comfortable upper middle class life. There is nothing special about most of them. Me, my sister and brother in law included (Harvard).

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2020 3:22 AM

More musings about yesteryear. What have you done today… Besides taking your Metamucil and pulling on your depends? Are you sitting in your bedroom cradling your 1974 graduation tassel?

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2020 3:22 AM

R80 here. And all of my room dorm mates and friends from Harvard lead ordinary upper middle class lives.

A lot of mythology here about how an Ivy undergrad degree affects your life.

by Anonymousreply 82August 1, 2020 3:24 AM

Dumbass - upper middle class lives are not "ordinary" to the hoi polloi. Increasingly less so. Only a Harvard twat would type this. I'm glad I got my ivy degrees precisely because they gave me advantages, and advantages are not "ordinary".

by Anonymousreply 83August 1, 2020 3:27 AM

Oh honey... public Ivy?

by Anonymousreply 84August 1, 2020 3:31 AM

R83 You are rather uncouth. No doubt a full scholarship type, like the ones who washed my bathroom in my dorm.

I am addressing the DL audience, not "hoi polloi".

by Anonymousreply 85August 1, 2020 3:54 AM

R60 Princeton is definitely the most. It’s the only school where a thesis is required just to graduate (at Harvard or Yale or most of these other schools, you write a thesis you’ll pretty much automatically get honors ). That’s why academics and US News have ranked it #1 for decades.

It also has a good number of hot preppy guys for a top school.

by Anonymousreply 86August 1, 2020 4:22 AM

[quote]Colombia

Lots of hot guys from Colombia on Chaturbate.

by Anonymousreply 87August 1, 2020 4:40 AM

[quote]It’s the only school where a thesis is required just to graduate (at Harvard or Yale or most of these other schools, you write a thesis you’ll pretty much automatically get honors ).

It's not the only one, though there are not many that require it. It's also required at Reed College, and the US Naval Academy, among other places.

by Anonymousreply 88August 1, 2020 4:58 AM

Some of you missed my point. I don’t talk about which university I attended because it doesn’t matter at this point. I also don’t want to sound like a loser at dinner parties, events, etc. I’ve started my own business, traveled all over the world, designed buildings and have been in a successful relationship for years.

I have a friend that still talks about his university and fraternity, despite the fact that he’s 55. He’s a nice man, but I feel terrible when I see people rolling their eyes as he speaks.

by Anonymousreply 89August 1, 2020 5:03 AM

Good thing you can’t see what we’re doing while reading your first paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 90August 1, 2020 5:10 AM

But where in fact did you go, r70/r89? You seem to be avoiding the question.

by Anonymousreply 91August 1, 2020 5:15 AM

No word on Bates College? I would like to go there so I could say I went to Bates like Carrie White went to Bates High School.

by Anonymousreply 92August 1, 2020 5:20 AM

Pubic ivy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 1, 2020 5:23 AM

Another point, just finished watching a documentary about Julian Schnabel. Where did he get his BFA? University of Houston. Where does that university fall in any of your lists? I would say that he has just about everyone beat on DL, in terms of success. I also doubt he’s chatting about his BFA to everyone...because, again, at this point, it doesn’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 94August 1, 2020 5:25 AM

I get the feeling that a lot of people on this thread went to 3rd and 4th tier colleges.

by Anonymousreply 95August 1, 2020 5:25 AM

UT Austin is on the list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 1, 2020 6:03 AM

R33 NYU sucks. All my idiot cousins went to NYU. The idiots I grew up with on Long Island went to NYU and now their idiot spawn are only being accepted at NYU.

My best friend who taught at both NYU and Yale says that most of his students at NYU were mediocre tools who just cared about what was on the test and how they could get a good grade. Their writing was atrocious and they weren’t humble enough to learn.

In the Iranian and Indian communities, the smart kids are pressured to get into good school but the dummies and girls looking to become housewives are told “just go to NYU”.

It’s a big school and it’s easy to graduate without getting a decent education. And that includes the greedy dorks who brag about the Stern School of Business program. The top financial firms will hire any major from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT over them any day.

My firm doesn’t usually hire those with undergraduate degrees from NYU.

So stop the bullshit about NYU.

by Anonymousreply 97August 1, 2020 7:57 AM

^^^ “into good schools, not good school.

by Anonymousreply 98August 1, 2020 7:59 AM

r94 University of Houston is one of those schools that are excellent but get no respect. Elizabeth Warren is also a graduate and taught there.

by Anonymousreply 99August 1, 2020 12:27 PM

R96 that is the Wren Building at William & Mary, not UT.

William & Mary going public was the worst thing that could have happened to them.

Aaron Ross Sorkin is a super hot finance guy with a Cornell degree. He needs to be my sex slave, so Cornell is good.

Dartmouth is full of Rockefeller wannabes and Hank Paulson.

Emily Gilmore said it best “their grandson could not even get into Brown.”

NYU and Columbia are practically interchangeable.

Yale graduates dynasties like the Bushes.

Harvard has so many applications, it looks more prestigious than it is.

UNC is fantastic, but they are the stepchild of the top universities honestly.

UT you get a degree with a huge helping of ego.

Michigan was the first college for affirmative action. Great football team, but who wants to live in Michigan???

Princeton is in New Jersey....

Penn is still recovering from the Sandusky problems. Poor boys.

Vermont?????

Tufts graduated Trump. Georgetown graduated Kellyanne Conway.

MIT doesn’t have time for all this BULLSHIT!

by Anonymousreply 100August 1, 2020 3:24 PM

Dear bitchytop,

I think you’re confusing Penn State with the University of Pennsylvania, also called “Penn”.

Why so bitchy? Do you need a hug?

by Anonymousreply 101August 1, 2020 3:40 PM

R101 you’re right, but even the similarities are there. I am real and honest, I do not need a hug.

by Anonymousreply 102August 1, 2020 3:46 PM

Being real and honest means being bitchy? Do you go to therapy? It’s really helpful.

by Anonymousreply 103August 1, 2020 3:48 PM

An old joke:

Q: What do a Princeton student and a Cornell student have in common?

A: They both got into Cornell.

by Anonymousreply 104August 1, 2020 4:04 PM

These schools all have one thing in common. Exclusivity. If you make something hard get into, it raises its prominence. You can turn the University of Bumblefuck into a top tier school by making it super hard to get into. The truth is you're not getting a better education at any of these schools. You're getting a brand and a network of alumni to help open doors.

by Anonymousreply 105August 1, 2020 4:06 PM

R104 replace that with any Ivy...Cornell is still the bastard step child of the Ivy League that everyone loves to shit on.

by Anonymousreply 106August 1, 2020 4:25 PM

Cornell is bastard to no school. It's just Cornell. And give Cornell Tech 15 years and Cornell will be one of the most competitive STEM schools in the country if it is not already.

by Anonymousreply 107August 1, 2020 4:37 PM

I'm sorry but NYU is pretty useless. overpriced.

Unless it's the grad school...

I know so many NYU grads doing nothing now...driving ubers and lyfts LOL.

by Anonymousreply 108August 1, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote] And give Cornell Tech 15 years and Cornell will be one of the most competitive STEM schools in the country if it is not already.

Typical try-hard Cornell.

by Anonymousreply 109August 1, 2020 5:03 PM

[quote] Tufts graduated Trump.

???

Donald Trump started at Fordham, then transferred to Wharton (which is part of UPenn) and got his degree there.

by Anonymousreply 110August 1, 2020 5:04 PM

I think bitchytop is having personal issues, I thought that statement about Trump was odd.

A good friend of mine went to NYU, and is a very successful actor. Another friend who went there is a well known interior designer. It’s proof that all of these schools are great places to get an education, it just depends on the student, and how talented and motivated they are.

by Anonymousreply 111August 1, 2020 5:17 PM

R100 is wrong on almost all accounts.

Clearly he didn't go to any of those schools, or possibly, none at all.

by Anonymousreply 112August 1, 2020 5:49 PM

R100 Princeton is to New Jersey as Palm Beach is to Fla and Southampton is to Long Island.

I think Lisa Birnbach originally said that, actually.

by Anonymousreply 113August 1, 2020 8:26 PM

NYU is not interchangeable with Columbia. And it is not exclusive. Yes, actors and designers go there. But these people probably didn’t have the academic credentials to get into an exclusive school. There are like 20,000 students who go there so it is the size of many state schools. The Ivies are much smaller. It is harder to get into Yale where many creative types go.

NYU accepts 30% or more of its applicants and a lot of people who don’t apply to the Ivy Leagues apply there.

by Anonymousreply 114August 1, 2020 9:09 PM

NYU is a safe school for many and a reach school for many. That’s why it has such a large applicant pool. It has gone up in rank because it is in New York. It does have decent lecturers and professors because of its location and salaries but the students aren’t top notch.

If you ask the TA’s and professors, they’ll tell you this. The student body is mediocre and and they do ficus on grades and getting the degree rather than learning or meeting other brilliant people. It is like USC.

by Anonymousreply 115August 1, 2020 9:16 PM

* focus. One can get a good education anywhere. But the NYU students don’t really care about that. They are the very definition of dumb and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 116August 1, 2020 9:20 PM

R110 Yes, the guys that deliver pot are NYU grads. So are many “escorts”.

The female New School students are known for being on the “I want to kept by Daddy” dating sites.

Many schools have gone up in rank and appear to be more exclusive because so many more people go to college. In my parents’ generation, high school grads had the same level of education that NYU and USC grads have now.

by Anonymousreply 117August 1, 2020 9:30 PM

You guys realize that you’re the only ones talking about this, right?

by Anonymousreply 118August 1, 2020 9:57 PM

How old are you bitches? I bet the average age is 67. Sad sad losers.

by Anonymousreply 119August 1, 2020 9:58 PM

I think you can get a good education at many colleges if you are focused on it. Ivy League schools have name recognition and forever mark you as being “smart.” I graduated from one of the “public ivy’s” listed here because I wanted to stay close to home and my sister graduated from Harvard. I don’t see many differences in our lives but people still refer to how academically gifted she is.

by Anonymousreply 120August 1, 2020 10:42 PM

You cannot buy your way into a public ivy. No way kushner (cough Damien) could buy their way into MIT. like they could Harvard. Harvard and the other private ivy universities have stupid tracks for legacy scholars, aka stupid rich kids.

by Anonymousreply 121August 1, 2020 11:08 PM

MIT is a private school, not a public ivy.

by Anonymousreply 122August 1, 2020 11:13 PM

And what does the "M" stand for?

by Anonymousreply 123August 1, 2020 11:18 PM

R118 , R119 You are free to leave this thread.

by Anonymousreply 124August 1, 2020 11:18 PM

R124 Massachusetts. But that doesn’t make it public. The University of Pennsylvania is private. Princeton was once called the College of New Jersey but it was private.

by Anonymousreply 125August 1, 2020 11:21 PM

r123 It stands for Massachusetts, just like the CAL in Caltech stands for California. They're both private.

by Anonymousreply 126August 1, 2020 11:21 PM

Rutgers is public, as are William and Mary and George Mason, so public schools don't need the name of the state in them.

by Anonymousreply 127August 1, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote] And what does the "M" stand for?

I can't believe someone actually thought they were proving a point by saying this.

by Anonymousreply 128August 1, 2020 11:27 PM

The M stands or Mofuckin

by Anonymousreply 129August 1, 2020 11:48 PM

R128 I know. It actually makes me smile though. With the evil cabal running our country and the proud racists advertising their hatred with glee, it’s kinda nice to encounter “an innocent”.

by Anonymousreply 130August 1, 2020 11:50 PM

R130, LOL. It amuses me...because it's so sad.

by Anonymousreply 131August 1, 2020 11:51 PM

Caltech (California Institute of Technology) is also private.

by Anonymousreply 132August 2, 2020 12:00 AM

It's weird to me that so many of you think the purpose of a fancy education is solely to become wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 133August 2, 2020 12:01 AM

R133, it sure as hell isn't to become poor.

by Anonymousreply 134August 2, 2020 12:05 AM

R133 There is such a thing as education. It is independent of earning a living. A plumber can make money. More than, say, a linguist. Plastic surgeons earn more than most researchers with MD’s. In the past, Wall Street traders often didn’t have degrees at firms like Lehman Bros. But Professors generally did. Some humans are driven by the desire to think, learn and create. Greed wasn’t always considered good.

by Anonymousreply 135August 2, 2020 12:32 AM

R135 was meant for R134.

by Anonymousreply 136August 2, 2020 12:34 AM

R127, Rutgers' full name is Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. It also has three campuses, each with different emphases. Elizabeth Warren went to its law school, where Ruth Bader Ginsberg also once taught.

The Ivy League universities each have their strengths and weaknesses, but on the whole they are among the best universities not just in the US but the globe. Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, and Penn are all very strong in most areas, and Brown, Cornell and Dartmouth are also very good, if not as highly ranked. They also vary in size; Cornell is huge, Harvard and Yale contain all kinds of schools (Forestry, Divinity, etc.), and Princeton is the smallest in terms of divisions and offerings. It is also the richest per capita.

There are other private universities that as highly ranked: Stanford (the premier university on the West Coast and one of the best in the world), MIT (the leading science and engineering university in the US), the University of Chicago, Duke, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, California Institute of Technology, Washington University in St. Louis, Rice University, University of Notre Dame, Vanderbilt University, etc. You can Google this, but these are all among the major research (Research I) universities in the US and globally.

The best public universities in the US are: UCLA, the University of California-Berkeley, University of Michigan, Wake Forest (it's very good), University of Virginia, University of Texas, Georgia Tech, UNC, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Irvine. Not sure about how much credence to give a term like "Public Ivies," but it's the case that there are many very good public universities, and if you live in state and pay state tuition, you can probably get a superb education for 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price of private universities, though some, like Harvard, do heavily subsidize students whose parents make under a certain cutoff.

by Anonymousreply 137August 2, 2020 1:34 AM

MIT wants women badly. If you don’t quite have the chops for the big three but still want the credentials of a top school (and don’t care about having no life), you’d be smart to apply there.

by Anonymousreply 138August 2, 2020 1:39 AM

Every Ivy League University can be much cheaper than a state university because they can meet full financial need and that is not LOANS - it is grants. State universities do not have this cash. Rich kids pay for their undergraduate Ivy degrees. Poor kids do not pay much tuition. They may need loans for living, of course.

by Anonymousreply 139August 2, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote]Hell, I would pick Syracuse in the Ivy League over Cornell any day.

Syracuse is not in the Ivy League.

by Anonymousreply 140August 2, 2020 1:44 AM

Caltech and MIT survive on government grants. Both on our premier science institutions/science research centers. A state governor (or the US president) cannot shut down these universities or research centers.

Private means you live off your endowment. Public means you live off scientific grants. But, the definitions are weird. Traditional definitions are: a religious school is private (only off endowment of members and private donors). Public Universities are eligible for scientific grants, and other programs that benefit the students.

by Anonymousreply 141August 2, 2020 2:04 AM

Replace Vermont with Wisconsin

by Anonymousreply 142August 2, 2020 2:04 AM

There are a few good universities in Texas...the chinese cunts were trying to steal research from one or two of them...Saw it in the news recently. the spying cunts were asked to vacate the embassy/consulate in texas.

by Anonymousreply 143August 2, 2020 2:07 AM

r97, NYU is hard to get into. Check out the % of students they admit and their average SAT scores. The only dumb people there are the rich kids who bought their way in.

by Anonymousreply 144August 2, 2020 2:10 AM

I think the term you are looking for is "elite" for which "ivy" is some kind of placeholder. And the data from the last 30-40 years (post the destruction that Reaganism wrought) is that the middle class is evaporating, and the hollowed at center of the workforce no longer has many jobs....

And a college degree is usually the "union card" for those maintaining, or accessing, a place on the upper side of the great divide, especially if you've networked in from an elite U (your point). It's a divide that is widening rapidly... covid is an example - those that continue to work at home, etc will survive or thrive... the working class, pay cut, jobs lost... fall deeper and farther away from the center.

The center cannot hold...

by Anonymousreply 145August 2, 2020 2:16 AM

Wake Forest is private, not public

by Anonymousreply 146August 2, 2020 2:33 AM

R137 -- your silly screed would have more credibility if you had gotten your facts correct.

by Anonymousreply 147August 3, 2020 12:34 AM

R147 What facts did he get wrong?

by Anonymousreply 148August 4, 2020 4:13 PM

R144 There are tons of dumb people and average people there. Check out how big it is. It’s easier to get into than USC!

by Anonymousreply 149August 4, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote]And what does the "M" stand for?

Don't tell me she got top billing on that too.

by Anonymousreply 150August 4, 2020 4:28 PM

r148 Well, the fact that Wake Forest is NOT a public university for one.

by Anonymousreply 151August 4, 2020 5:09 PM

lots of top rated public universities have been greatly diminished by the rethuglican governors and legiaslatures efforts to destroy "liberal " higher education. UNC. Madison, UTex are shadows of their former selves and others in bluer states like VA and CA have suffered from strangled funding and the refusal of citizens to pay the necessary taxes. CA was once a model of how to do excellent public higher education, but sadly no more.

meanwhile the ivies continue to pile up obscene endowments while educating a miniscule segement of the population

by Anonymousreply 152August 4, 2020 9:12 PM

University of Texas has an endowment of 4 billion. Nothing stops public research universities from doing major fund raising campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 153August 4, 2020 9:14 PM

University of Virginia has 9.5 billion endowment.

by Anonymousreply 154August 4, 2020 9:15 PM

THe Ivies give out full financial aid packages. That’s why the “huge” endowments are so important.

Even 30/35 years ago the notion that they’re just for the “privileged “ was insanely outdated.

by Anonymousreply 155August 4, 2020 9:18 PM

Oh, honey -- everyone lies about the size of their endowment. This IS a gay message board, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 156August 5, 2020 12:28 AM

USC is fucking impossible to get into without some help.

by Anonymousreply 157August 5, 2020 12:50 AM

I’ve noticed something where I work, which is a place that has around 150 employees, where about more than half went to Ivy League, and the rest to state universities. I’ve noticed that the Ivy employees tend to be less attractive and socially inept. It’s difficult to get them to respond to social cues, unlike the other employees. They do their work, but don’t contribute to the office culture in a positive way. It’s a lost cause now that we’re working from home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 5, 2020 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!