Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mitch McConnell Could Rescue Millions. What Is He Waiting For?

The economy is in dire shape. Millions of Americans are about to lose federal aid. The Senate is going on vacation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 6:32 PM

“The worst economic news on Thursday was not the official announcement that the American economy shrank at an annualized rate of 32.9 percent in the second quarter of 2020 — a grim quantification of the pain caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

No, the really bad news was the lack of action on Capitol Hill.

Congress needs to extend the emergency aid programs that were created in March to help Americans endure a broad suspension of economic activity. Instead, even as the pandemic rages on, Congress is allowing those aid programs to expire.

People who lost jobs during the pandemic have received $600 a week from the federal government on top of standard unemployment benefits. For many, the money is all that has kept them from going hungry and has allowed them to stay in their homes. It has prevented a significant increase in the share of Americans living in poverty. But those payments end this week, even as unemployment remains at a level last experienced during the Great Depression.

The federal government also is ending a moratorium on evictions, as well as a program that provides aid to small businesses.”

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 5:55 PM

Among those pleading for aid that hasn’t come: state and local governments starved of tax revenue. School districts that need money for safety equipment. Hospitals caring for the victims of the pandemic. Elections officials bracing for November. “ The abject failure to act is not the fault of Congress in a collective sense. House Democrats passed a serviceable aid bill more than two months ago. Responsibility for the current debacle rests specifically and squarely on the shoulders of the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, and the other 52 Senate Republicans.”

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 5:56 PM

This is by design.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 5:57 PM

It does seem like they are doing this on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 6:00 PM

It’s not their money.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2020 5:15 PM

Why? Because he’s Moscow Mitch McConnell, debatably the most evil man in the country.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2020 5:18 PM

Because they don't care. At this point, after almost four years of a Republican government having control, why are we still questioning why they do awful things? We should know by now, the answer is always the same and it's always simple: they do not care. They are incapable of empathy. I'm so sick and tired of us trying to humanize them.

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote]He’s Moscow Mitch McConnell, debatably the most evil man in the country.

"Debatably"?

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 5:30 PM

The media needs to stop proclaiming that “Congress” is failing to take action. The House passes a new stimulus bill in May, but Moscow Mitch has been sitting on it ever since.

Senate Republicans and Trump are 100% to blame. Not “Congress” as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote]It’s not their money.

Especially in HIS fucking case coming from a moocher state where they give nothing and only take. Imagine that this ugly motherfucker gets to control money when he represents leeches.

What a fucked up country where he gets to decide such things having no part in contributing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 5:40 PM

Exactly. This money belongs to the Blue states that actually pay net federal taxes.

He’s got a lot of nerve stealing it and shoveling american money off to his foreign donors wishlists while starving the working class.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 5:42 PM

It’s possible that we are in a phase of such intense disorder that Mitch cannot control some of the Republican senators. Mitch wants to keep the Senate; the Repug senators who are up for re-election want to keep their jobs. So, in theory, both Mitch and the senators up for re-election really want a deal. It’s the Repug senators who are not up for re-election who are in the default Repug position—kill the poor!—and cannot be moved. At least that’s my read of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 5:52 PM

The same people who are crying that they can’t pay their bills are the same ones who went to parties and didn’t social distance and won’t wear a mask. Deal with it bitches.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 5:54 PM

r13, that is not true. Why would you use a blanket statement like that. I went to no parties. I gathered with no more than 4 people and we always wore masks and kept socially distant. With the $600 added, I was making 80% of my wages. I was able to pay my bills easily because I wasn't spending my money on anything besides food. Now my I will be struggling to pay bills, have anxiety and stress over money. My savings will be gone.

My job is not coming back until 2021, and that is being hopeful. I will have to find work in another field and compete for those openings with thousands more people.

You are just making up stuff that you don't know anything about. People are going to suffer. The economy isn't going to recover if people don't have any more.

So what someone making $8 an hour in some RED state now gets more money then they had before they were working. Well now that poor sap can live like a human being for a temporary time period. Maybe it will encourage them to get more education and learn a trade so they can make more money when things get better.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 6:32 PM

He’s a bum. Never worked a day in his live and has sucked the goverment dry yet is taking away taxpayers own money from them.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2020 5:36 PM

Please God claim Mitch McConnell's withered and hateful soul.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2020 5:46 PM

He can’t stand the thought of poors catching a break.

He won’t hear of it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote]He can’t stand the thought of poors catching a break.

Ironic considering the mooching state he's represented for years would shrivel up and die without liberal money. His state towards the bottom for everything from education to income to health.

Cuomo needs to remind him every fucking day of his state's place.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2020 6:13 PM

Those huge tax breaks for millionaires and handouts to obscenely wealthy corporations don't pay for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2020 6:29 PM

This is so sickening to watch unfold.

All the rethugs care about is immunity so they can manslaughter more people with immunity.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2020 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!