Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The last year that didn’t totally suck

I nominate 2013. Obama began his second term, there was no mid-term election, Ebola and the Russian invasion of Ukraine hadn’t happened yet, and neither had the Syrian refugee crisis.

2014 saw two of the events mentioned above and a nasty midterm election, and every year since then has been dominated by the fat fascist orange traitor, who in 2013 was just a random blowhard with a Twitter addiction.

What’s your nominee for “most recent non-horrible year”?

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 6:34 PM

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 4:23 PM

2013 was the year that a deranged co-worker came to my office and murdered 13 people so I have to take a pass on this one.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 5:52 PM

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 5:53 PM

1967. My fifth summer before starting first grade.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 5:59 PM

Another vote for 1999. The year I graduated college and my last semester was a blast. Getting a job was a bit of a scramble, but I was optimistic about everything in general. Then Bush's smirking face showed up.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:06 PM

Despite the lame duck status, Obama's second term was more than eventful from a domestic liberal viewpoint. And I admit to being lulled into complacency. All other variables equal, I believe Barack could have won a third term solely on the economy. Unfathomable that Obama would even suggest foregoing the 2 term rule. He loves the USA and the constitution more than he loves his political party.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 6:12 PM

I concur with the late 90s sentiment. After 9/11, things have been on a downhill slope overall, at least for the US. Even during Obama's presidency, we had to deal with the financial crisis, continuous international warfare, and the blatant racist reaction to a black man becoming POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 6:20 PM

If you were born after 1999 the world has just been one disaster after another.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!