Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where did you end up putting your cat litter box?

What works? What doesn’t?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2020 5:35 PM

In the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 6:09 AM

Same

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 6:13 AM

Utility room

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 6:14 AM

In my 2nd, unused bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 6:14 AM

Bathroom. It’s easier to clean litter from a tiled floor.

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:15 AM

In the laundry. I got him an enclosed litter box which keeps the litter in. Works perfect.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 6:17 AM

Utility room.

Basement under stairs next to hot water service.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 6:19 AM

Laundry room. Large hooded litter box for two cats. Cleaned 2+ times a day.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 6:24 AM

2+ times a day R8???

Are there soaps, hand towels and cologne provided also?

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 6:26 AM

r9 turndown service and a mint

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 6:38 AM

Sounds very fancy R10!

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 6:43 AM

My cat goes wild when I eat mint. Catnip is in the mint family so that's prob why.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 6:48 AM

my neighbor's yard. he think he has raccoons.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 7:56 AM

I have 5 elderly cats that were all dumped on me by elderly relatives as they died. I keep the litter boxes (5!) in the basement. I also feed them only in the basement to encourage them to hang out there rather than upstairs all the time. It’s a walkout basement with a huge sliding glass wall, so they have plenty to look at as they wait to transition to the great litter box in the sky and rejoin their previous owners. The only cat I’ll miss is my mom’s, who seems to have many of her habits.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 8:08 AM

Pine pellet troll here...transitioning my cat's litter box to pine pellets from the farm supply store is the best thing I've ever done for her. No odor, and they're super cheap. Lots of YouTube vids on how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 8:13 AM

That sounds like a lovely cat hospice in your basement. Do you also provide a peaceful morphine drip?

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 8:14 AM

Nowhere, I don't have the space and I don't like cleaning shit so I have no cat ( or dog).

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 8:19 AM

Underneath the dinette, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 8:24 AM

Wish I could, R16. Left to me, I would have given the cats away or put them to sleep, (except for my mother’s cat) but my aunts made me promise to let them live out their lives together. There were actually 7 cats at one time. The vet comes over once every six months for checkups and vaccinations, and knows not to recommend any drastic or expensive services to prolong lives.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 8:29 AM

Very kind of you R19.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 9:01 AM

R9 & R10, thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 9:32 AM

I have 2 automatic litter boxes and they're in the utility room. I have to keep the door cracked slightly so they can get in and out. I'm been thinking of having a pet door put in.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 9:53 AM

I put it in the laundry room with a shelf above it and a curtain in front of it. 2 lidded boxes with the opening on top.

Pussies like their privacy.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 12:00 PM

Mine shits outside. I've never even seen him do it. Well, actually I'm not sure who's cat he is. Or she is.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 12:23 PM

When I renovated my bathroom I made space in the shelving unit behind the door for the litter box. Basically the part of the cabinet that would have been 2 bottom drawers on one side was left open to fit the box and it's a perfect little hideaway for kitty to do his business.

And like R8 I clean it 2x/day so there's no stink.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 12:45 PM

In the second bedroom. the 2 cats basically have their own room, where they keep their toys and nap (sometimes) on the guest bed.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 3:04 PM

in the stairwell closet.

everywhere i have lived, the cat box has taken over the "coat" closet.

also, i don't have a cat box sold for that purpose, but a giant rubbermaid storage container with high sides so they have room to scratch around and do their business, and don't spray crap all around.

they still manage to track sand out, somehow though.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 3:41 PM

I have a very shallow closet that's perfect for the litterbox. Because it's still a closet the smell gathers a little (though I scoop 1-2 times a day), but hanging bags of activated charcoal help a lot.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2020 3:53 PM

Someone needs to invent a pet that doesn't piss or shit.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2020 4:22 PM

I scoop after each use right away. I live in a small apartment and cannot stand the smell. I think of it as helping them flush the toilet after they go.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2020 4:26 PM

Mine is in the spare bedroom ( which is theirs really) . I scoop as soon as I see it’s been used and do a total litter replacement and clean weekly.

They also have access to outside.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 4:58 PM

Some stupid cat took a shit in my dressing room every day when I was on the Golden Girls. Never could find that damn pussy.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 6:01 PM

Anybody ever try that thing you put on your toilet seat so they can just jump up there and their pee and poop goes right into the toilet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 6:18 PM

Being a Maine coon sized individual as well as having (we presume temporary) extra girth, Kitty Lou needs extra-large litter boxes. There are really no discreet corners that fit them so I have one in the hallway and one in my bedroom. I use scoopable bran litter and remove all deposits as soon as I see them, which is agreeable to her as she's a cat of dainty habits.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 6:31 PM

Efficient litterboxing @1:48

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2020 6:37 PM

Has no one tried the litter robot? Expensive but gets good reviews across the internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2020 6:46 PM

Yesrs back I ahd a cat that would shit on the dining room table if I missed cleaning her litter box one day. I concluded that cats are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2020 7:00 PM

Yes, you can train your cat to use the toilet. Takes time, but saves a bundle in cat litter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2020 7:13 PM

There is nothing worse than a litter box anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2020 7:15 PM

I want to move my two cats' litterboxes from an unused office to a rarely-used bathroom two floors down. is there a good way to do this so they remember where the new location is and don't have an accident in the office where the boxes used to be?

Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2020 7:24 PM

in my bathroom

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2020 7:29 PM

Have litterboxes in both places for a while, R40. Once they are used to using the new litterboxes, move the old one.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2020 7:46 PM

How would a cat react if you took a dump in their litterbox?

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2020 8:14 PM

In the guest room.

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2020 8:18 PM

I put it in the laundry room, with a pet door so I could keep the door closed. I also realized that the odor was because the urine got into the littler, and never really dried, so I put a T connector on the dryer hose, with a smaller hose going into a hole I put in the top of the littler box cover, so every time I use the dryer, it circulates a bit of warm air into the cat box, and eliminates the smell.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2020 8:32 PM

I taught my cats to use the toilet because litter boxes are filthy, even if changed often enough. I used to be allergic to cats until I toilet-trained them, and it turned out it was really their poop and pee litter box paws that caused my allergies. Shit makes people itch, not fur or dander.

I bathe them kitties well and with soap, too, and brush their dirty teeth thoroughly. I hate vets that tell you not to groom and clean your pets. It's very necessary and it extends their lifespan.

by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2020 8:54 PM

You are supposed to put it somewhere they'll have privacy and not be startled by any sudden loud noises. They have to feel safe, because obviously they are vulnerable when relieving themselves.

by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2020 8:59 PM

Let me know when they can be trained to flush, too.

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2020 9:10 PM

Thank you, r42. That's a smart solution.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2020 9:23 PM

R48, mine flush. Cats aren't retarded.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2020 9:28 PM

R48, even if the cat didn’t flush, I’d rather flush for it than scoop out it’s waste from a box of sand.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2020 9:42 PM

Sellling those guns had to hurt him, though. Even a dummy would see the symbology of that--it was like selling part of his own background in service to this ridiculous lawsuit started by his California-bred wife. It's the sort of thing likely to fester and come back out in future marital arguments.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2020 11:01 PM

Sorry, wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2020 11:02 PM

That would be up the butt Bob.

by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2020 12:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2020 4:26 PM

"I bathe them kitties well and with soap, too, and brush their dirty teeth thoroughly. I hate vets that tell you not to groom and clean your pets. It's very necessary and it extends their lifespan."

Groom with comb = good, Bathe = BAD

Cats need to smell their sent all over via their self-bathing and grooming. Bathing a cat is a no-no.

by Anonymousreply 56August 3, 2020 4:44 PM

R33, for a few weeks I would sometimes find urine in my toilet when I came home. I kept thinking I forgot to flush, or the landlord used my bathroom, or the toilet did not work.

Then I saw my cat using the toilet. I had two cats and one always hated the litterbox. She would stand like Captain Morgan with only one foot in the litter when she peed.

She taught herself to use the toilet and began using it more an more. (Never pooped in the toilet though.)

My other cat never figured this out and still peed the old fashioned way.

by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2020 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!