Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trader Joe's wises up, reverses course, tells the leftist political-correctness mob 'no'

Time to boycott Trader Joe's and Aldi's

It kind of looks like it — Trader Joe's has decided to reverse course and not change all the brand labels of its products to satisfy the wokeness demands of a tiny, largely white, racism-parsing left-wing mob. Here's the statement:

They refute flat-out that their products are racist:

We want to be clear: we disagree that any of these labels are racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 3:56 PM

Trader José etc is fun and kitsch and silly.

Trader Ming is lame, though, and doesn’t follow the “John” scheme. How about Trader Yo?

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 4:04 AM

Joe isn't short for John.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 4:06 AM

Good for them. The closest one to me is about a 20 minute drive, so I'll start going more.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 4:06 AM

Good for them. People who shop at Trader Joe’s aren’t about to stop going there. They have really unique items and you’d be hard-pressed to find another store that has all of those items. Nobody is actually going to boycott. they never do.

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 4:08 AM

seriously, the mob is violent towards trader Joe's. but the police got them, and we're a little safer for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 4:08 AM

This restores my faith in humanity. If we keep calling cultural celebration cultural appropriation we’ll have nothing.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 4:11 AM

Good for them. At most, you could say they're stupid (I don't even think that), but racist?

I bet VERY few people of these races/ethnicities remotely give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 4:23 AM

The fact that this store has a traditionally male name is just another example of how the patriarchy works in our society. It’s a not-so-subtle message that men control all life on earth, the fruit of humanity’s labors, and what we are able to put in our bodies. However, they’re the only store nearby that carries a certain kind of flour I need for baking. But I’m only buying the flour.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 4:31 AM

Good, I'm glad they're not backing down. The children and their foolishness will give us a board bland world.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 4:44 AM

Dammit, BORED

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 4:45 AM

Not the first white nationalist fake news peddling website DL'ers have gotten behind this month or week. A win for the master race! Trader Jose's Burritos remain the same! Yeah it's everyone that errs on the side of racial sensitivity that look stupid and outraged all the time.

[quote]The magazine has been described as a conservative blog.[5][6] Right Wing Watch points out that American Thinker has published an excessively complimentary piece on a white nationalist, claimed women ruined public discourse by complaining about rape, and asserted that rainbow-colored Doritos are a "gateway snack to introduce children to the joys of homosexuality."[7] The site has published falsehoods about climate change.[8]

[quote] Overall, we rate the American Thinker, Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracy theories/pseudoscience, use of poor sources and several failed fact checks.

[quote]Failed Fact ChecksPresident Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’ – FALSE The state of New Jersey is currently conducting, or plans to conduct, house-to-house confiscations of banned high-capacity gun magazines. – FALSE Do statistics in a chain e-mail give an accurate “report card” of President Obama’s first two years? – MOSTLY FALSE A group of Somali teenagers used hammers to physically attack and injure several passersby at a train station in Minneapolis in May 2019. – MOSTLY FALSE “Sea level rise has been slow and a constant, pre-dating industrialization” – INACCURATE Did the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confess to lying about COVID-19 death numbers? – FALSE (added 4/16/2020)

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 4:45 AM

Whites have already lost so much only having 95% of the power and privilege nowadays, losing Trader Mings Frozen Orange Chicken would just be too much to handle.

TJs better get used to a lot more of these deplorable brawls. They've invited them with their stupid announcement and reneging purely to appease an outraged white twitter mob

Two Trader Joe’s customers were asked to put on masks. They attacked employees instead, police said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 5:05 AM

[quote] Good, I'm glad they're not backing down. The children and their foolishness will give us a board bland world.

Making sure a package of frozen burritos and Dragon Lady stirfry remain under the same name is R9's antidote to a bland, hollow existence.

Trust me pal, that ship has already sailed!

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 5:23 AM

There's no connection between the US Aldis and Trader Joe's, OP.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 5:32 AM

I want to wake with you in my arms, R8.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 5:33 AM

This current movement has lost my support, most of it is plain vandalism. I largely shop only Aldi, Costco and Trader-Jo's.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 5:42 AM

r14, Trader Joe's and ALDI are both owned by the German company Albrecht Disounts.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 6:08 AM

I noticed how Trader Joe's didn't introduce a "Trader Paddy's" for St. Patrick's Day. Their corned beef was just "Irish style corned beef." I say this being half Irish by ethnicity, not nationality. It takes nothing to not be a douchebag over something that might stereotype a minority within a majority. Apply your own advice and just get over it snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 6:15 AM

How long would "Trader Paddy's" be on the shelves before the "Doritos are turning kids gay" people would be shouting about White Genocide? It boggles the mind how many of you lack perspective on these things

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 6:16 AM

Nan Michiganwomyn at R8.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 6:28 AM

R18. I agree. Spend you energy on getting Biden elected.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 6:31 AM

I'd much rather spend my energy getting a suitable candidate elected. Unfortunately, there isn't one.

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 6:34 AM

R22 The clearest way of saying "Trump's racism, women hatred and con artistry doesn't affect me so I can pretend both sides are the same."

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 6:37 AM

R23 clearly states that Dems may be bigoted, dictatorial hypocrites, but they're MY bigoted, dictatorial hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 6:40 AM

R24 Your lack of reading comprehension skills are to blame for your general ineptitude about the differences between the two major political parties.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 6:50 AM

R8 what about 𝓙𝓮𝓷𝓷𝔂 𝓒𝓻𝓪𝓲𝓰? That’s a female named business I’m sure you frequent

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 7:09 AM

[quote]It’s a not-so-subtle message that men control all life on earth, the fruit of humanity’s labors, and what we are able to put in our bodies. However, they’re the only store nearby that carries a certain kind of flour I need for baking. But I’m only buying the flour.

It's nice to have principles as long as they don't inconvenience you none.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 7:51 AM

My father's parents were both born in Ireland, and if Trader Joe's wants to rename their Irish Breakfast tea bags "Trader Sean's Irish Breakfast Tea Bags," I am fine with that. As long as they spell "Sean" correctly, of course.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2020 8:15 AM

"The children and their foolishness will give us a board bland world."

Who is this "us" you speak of. How long do you think you're going to live?

The world doesn't belong to you. Nobody is here to give it to you as a gift.

But I guess you feel super-important that Trader Giotto's ROCKED YOUR WORLD!

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2020 8:28 AM

R28 there are a few versions. But the most broadly accepted spelling is Seán, of which Sean is an anglicized bastardization.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2020 8:39 AM

The Irish equivalent of "TRADER MING" wouldn't be "TRADER SEAN" but you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 9:02 AM

^^^ How is "Trader Ming's" racist? Isn't "Ming" every bit as common a first name in the East as "Joe" is in the West?

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 10:10 AM

It's morning and I just started drinking my coffee, so bear with me.

What I find interesting about "cultural appropriation" as a concept is that it's very ... well, American. Remember the white girl who wore the qipao prom dress and Woke Twitter lost its damn mind? Actual people in China were amused with the whole episode and didn't see the problem. It's the same with Japan ... they really don't see the problem with "cultural appropriation" (at least the Japanese people I've spoken to) as we in the US define it and they certainly don’t consider themselves an “oppressed minority” in any sense. (A friend of mine from Japan, upon arriving in the US, was aghast to learn that Japanese are considered “POC” here.)

To my mind, “cultural appropriation” is itself just another form of cultural imperialism … that is, it’s people in the US imposing their attitudes and ethos on other cultures, telling them how to feel and what should outrage them.

As an aside, I’ve also noticed a variation of this in discussions of “whiteness” … “white” imperialism, colonialism, slavery, oppression … is always the worst, most abhorrent example of those things. But they’re replicating what they’re trying to defeat: they’re placing whites at the top; whiteness is still the standard by which everyone else is measured, even in a negative sense.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 10:41 AM

Don't get the cult following. Their food tastes like cardboard.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 10:45 AM

r17 We've been over this many times. Aldi split into two separate companies: Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi Nord. The Aldi stores in the US are owned by Aldi Sud. Two different corporations.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2020 10:56 AM

Save your energy for the real battles folks. This feels like much ado about nothing and I love Trader Joe's for standing up for what they want. Don't like it, take your hard earned money elsewhere. All in all, we've got much bigger issues to deal with. And by the way, Chinese folks I know are not offended by Trader Mings. Just ask your Chinese friends or colleagues. And if you don't know any to ask, you sure as hell should be speaking out on their behalf.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote] And by the way, Chinese folks I know are not offended by Trader Mings. Just ask your Chinese friends or colleagues.

The Chinese folks you know amount to exactly... 0.

The most obvious way of saying "I've never met a Chinese person in my life but let me tell you why they don't think it's racist"

Tell me, R36, describe in detail the last dialogue you had with a Chinese friend or colleague about "Trader Mings?" This should be a really good story. There's no way you're a racist that will tokenize and concoct stories to dismiss something pointed out as offensive

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote] ^^ How is "Trader Ming's" racist? Isn't "Ming" every bit as common a first name in the East as "Joe" is in the West?

No. No it is not. This is the problem with the packaging.

Ming is a Chinese name. The most popular Chinese names as of 2020 were:

Zhang We, Wang Wei, Wang Fang, Li Wei, Wang Xiu Ying, Li Qiang whereas SEAN is Ireland's 5 most popular boy's name. Ming does not even make the list of most popular names. The Vietnamese form of Ming, Mihn, enjoys more popularity in Vietnam but is not in the top 100 most popular names.

Ming is just an exotic sounding name plucked from nowhere not based on popularity.

I love that bigots will pretend they're defending cultural exchange or some such nonsense while simultaneously demonstrating they know nothing about Chinese or Asian culture.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2020 7:23 PM

R38 just wants the dumplings to be called Trader Wang's.

by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2020 7:34 PM

If you don’t like it, don’t shop there. I don’t eat Chik-FIL-a, and I don’t care if other people do.

It’s easy.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2020 7:36 PM

[quote] Tell me, [R36], describe in detail the last dialogue you had with a Chinese friend or colleague about "Trader Mings?"

I'm not R36, but I can say that it's never come up in conversation with any of my friends, the majority of which are from various parts of Asia, because no one gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2020 7:45 PM

R33 gets it. No one really cares about this except a bunch of overly woke white people who feel helpless to stop real racism, so they try to pull stunts like this or getting that episode of The Golden Girls taken off of Hulu. Guess it makes them think they're making some small difference, but what does it really amount to in the long run? No one's life or self-esteem is going to be saved by doing things like this or telling white girls to not wear hoop earrings or Asian inspired prom dresses. So many people act like these things are equal to saying the N-word or wearing blackface and it's just not so.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2020 7:47 PM

Trader Ming, Giotto, Jose, and I'll add Paddy to the mix too because that's what it would be if the Irish were still marginalized and treated as we once were in this country ..... and the other ethic marketing/stereotyping/branding all fall relatively low on the list of liberal priorities as far as how xenophobic bigotry is going to be combatted in real terms. This is why the only people talking about it are the white nationalist blogs like OP's link, Fox News personalities, and other alt right clowns that have declared the culture war won over a package of frozen stir fry. It's OVER FOR THE GLOBALISTS AND THE PC POLICE, they scream.

Their heads collectively exploded when Quaker nixed the racist Aunt Jemima mammy pancake box, so this is all they have left to keep them going.

To normal people it's just shocking how up in arms people got over the pancake box changing and the trader Joes announcement. Who cares?

Someone here actually said what a boring, bland world we would be living in if Trader Ming's became "Asian-style" whatever like the seasonal Irish products are. These losers are going to drive themselves into extinction. This is not what normal people are stressed over, but if there's a discussion to be had logic and truth absolutely favors changing something that promotes generalizing, exoticism and transforming entire ethic groups into a mythology like Native American branding often does. You cannot expect people with below average intelligence to interrogate the link between consumerism, branding, propaganda, xenophobia, mythical ethic stereotypes and ongoing bias and discrimination. It just won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2020 7:56 PM

My partner's uncle and his cousins are Chinese. They have ZERO issue with Trader Joe's packaging. Again, we've got bigger issues.

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2020 10:06 PM

I keep reading scolding schoolmarms like R43 lecturing people about how they're "freaking out" about trivialities like label change.

No, dear. It's the "delicate flowers" (to use Muriel's language) who are circulating outraged petitions about it. I'm not outraged and I don't much care whether my spaghetti sauce is marketed as "Trader Joe's," "Trader Giotto's," or "Glorious Glitzy Garlic." I do personally think it would be silly for TJ's to capitulate, for two reasons. First, changing branding for potentially hundreds of labels is more labor-intensive and costly than you'd think; it's not trivial. But that's not the main reason. The main reason is because these SJWs, once they've tasted blood, will come back for more. They'll find something else offensive. Then something else. Like any bully, they only back away when their victim has a backbone.

But TJ's is a privately owned company and they can do exactly as they please. They can change product names. They can market chocolate-dipped shrimp or kim chee flavored ice cream, if that's what they think will work for their business. I shop there and would continue to shop there if they renamed all their products; it's just not important to me. The most this whole escapade got from me was a huge eyeroll.

R43, where are you finding these mythical people who are clutching pearls and swooning onto a fainting couch over this? It's the SJWs who really give a shit about this crap, not the people who roll their eyes and mutter "overprivileged brats with too much time on their hands" at the petition-signers. But thanks for the lecture telling us all to keep our wigs on.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2020 10:27 PM

R45 Right on. You said it very well and I couldn't agree with you more.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2020 3:14 AM

R45, you can find those pearl clutching fainters right here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2020 3:20 AM

Right wing trolls have arrived - we know the weekend has started!!

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2020 4:33 AM

[quote]It’s a not-so-subtle message that men control all life on earth, the fruit of humanity’s labors, and what we are able to put in our bodies.

I certainly think about this everytime I shop there. It's foremost in my mind.

These people are beyond tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2020 3:00 PM

The best way to stop racism is to not be racist.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2020 3:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!