Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix’s “Rebecca” with Lily James, Armie Hammer and Kristin Scott Thomas

It looks ghastly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 969 hours ago

I think you're right, Gloria.

by Anonymousreply 1Last Thursday at 4:36 PM

I’m not watching anything with Armie Hammer in it.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Thursday at 4:38 PM

Lily James is too pretty for the second Mrs. de Winter. I bet Scott Thomas is good though. Nobody agrees with me but I think the best version was BBC's with Emilia Fox and Charles Dance. Massive age gap, sexual, he was a total dick but she genuinely loved him. Diana Rigg as Danvers.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Thursday at 4:38 PM

Lily is wayyyy too old. Jane Eyre and Rebecca work because the heroine is discovering her sexuality. A woman in her 20s/early 30s - even a virgin - wouldn’t be under the thrall of Mr Rochester/Max de Winter.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Thursday at 4:40 PM

Why would the 2nd Mrs. de Winter let her dark roots show? Did Mrs. Danvers kill the Manderley hairstylist?

by Anonymousreply 5Last Thursday at 4:42 PM

[quote] It looks ghastly.

Ghastly. Just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Thursday at 4:42 PM

Lily James is two years younger than Armie Hammer, the characters should be about twenty years apart. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Thursday at 4:44 PM

Lily James is a bit bland for the role but I disagree about her being too old. Now the real question is will this actually follow the novel? Last time Netflix claimed to be remaking a famous Gothic story,The Haunting of Hill House, they twisted it into some lame family melodrama with no relation to the original story. But for completely unclear reasons they kept the characters original names.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Thursday at 4:45 PM

Does Armie have an English accent in this?

by Anonymousreply 9Last Thursday at 4:51 PM

There was a great Seventies BBC version, with Jeremy Brett as Max (much better than Laurence Olivier in the role), Joanna David (Emilia Fox's mother!) perfect as the 2nd Mrs. de Winter, and Anna Massey (Jeremy Brett's wife--it was a lavender marriage) as Mrs. Danvers. It was the first ever show for "Mystery!" on PBS.

They adapted some of the scenes from the Du Maurier book that Hitchcock's version left out, like the great scene where the second Mrs. de Winter is brought by Max's sister to the Dower House at Manderley to meet Max's senile mother, who freaks out because she thinks the 2nd Mrs. de Winter is hiding her beloved Rebecca from her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10Last Thursday at 4:52 PM

What era is this set in? It looks hideous.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Thursday at 4:53 PM

[quote] Does Armie have an English accent in this?

No, Rose. He will be playing Max as Japanese, and switching all his "r"s and his "l"s.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Thursday at 4:54 PM

Any Armie nudity in this?

by Anonymousreply 13Last Thursday at 4:54 PM

Lily's lips look horrendous. Like bee-stung retard lips.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Thursday at 4:55 PM

L12 is lacist!

by Anonymousreply 15Last Thursday at 4:56 PM

[quote] What era is this set in?

2200 AD.

Any more intelligent questions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16Last Thursday at 5:03 PM

very low budget. His accent is rumored to be atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Thursday at 7:14 PM

R9 the accent sucks apparently.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Thursday at 7:16 PM

I am genuinely terrified at the prospect of how bad his accent will be.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Saturday at 2:55 AM

Fuck yeah I’ll watch this.

Although I genuinely believe KST will be good.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Saturday at 3:06 AM

R3 I agree, it was very faithful and well done. The casting really worked as Emilia was a convincing wallflower and Dance attractive enough to pull of his role. We even got DL Icon Faye Dunaway as Mrs Van Hopper!

by Anonymousreply 21Last Saturday at 3:08 AM

Pull off *

by Anonymousreply 22Last Saturday at 3:08 AM

Cant wait.....the succulent moody armie was made for this delicious part. not sure bout miss thomas,,,,not at all.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Saturday at 3:09 AM

Why was Armie even considered when we have lots of great British actors? Hes also playing another quintessential Brit in "Death On The Nile"

by Anonymousreply 24Last Saturday at 3:11 AM

Armie can be a decent actor if the role is simple. As soon as you require any complex emotions or drama his limitations jump out. So glaringly that they are distracting. If he pulls this off I will be in shock.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Saturday at 3:27 AM

^^ But his biggest concern will be Lily upstaging him. DeWinter shouldn't be camp.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Saturday at 3:29 AM

Armie Hammer does not have the chops for this.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Saturday at 3:35 AM

Lily James was bad enough in All About Eve. Now she has to ruin this?

by Anonymousreply 28Last Saturday at 3:36 AM

R28 I saw that too, I expected her to be better but she made no impression.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Saturday at 3:43 AM

Two B actors. Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Saturday at 3:57 AM

r3 David Mitchell is the best Mrs Danvers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31Last Saturday at 4:23 AM

Brilliant r 31. Thanks for the laugh !

by Anonymousreply 32Last Saturday at 4:28 AM

Brilliant r 31. Thanks for the laugh !

by Anonymousreply 33Last Saturday at 4:28 AM

R24 I think British audiences sometimes think his annoying enunciation sounds British. Can only imagine from the awful Russian accent he had in MFU that this is botched. Should be entertaining. I am salivating in anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Saturday at 4:34 AM

^I meant American audiences.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Saturday at 4:34 AM

Is this up yet?

by Anonymousreply 36Last Saturday at 4:36 AM

Will she be breaking into ABBA tunes?

by Anonymousreply 37Last Saturday at 4:37 AM

I read Rebecca as a child when I checked it out from my grade school library. Do grade schools still have libraries?

by Anonymousreply 38Last Saturday at 4:47 AM

His looks are the only thing he has going for him and he refuses to do more nudity. How on Earth does he still get roles?

by Anonymousreply 39Last Saturday at 5:36 AM

R38, my kids go to NYC public schools. The elementary school didn’t have a dedicated library, but each classroom was crammed to bursting with books. BIG on books, trips to the NYPL, making sure every kid had a library card and knew how to use it.

Middle school on UES had a library but no librarian, so kids couldn’t borrow “officially”. Most individual classrooms had lots of books. Elite HS has library, and a librarian. I asked if I could donate some good appropriate hardcovers and was basically told “no thank you”. Shitty HS complex filled with “urban” kids had a sparse library that serves as a meeting room.

If kids are the least bit inclined, they will have plenty of robust encouragement. I’m a huge fan of 80% of the public school teachers we’ve encountered, as they really believe in education.

Sorry for the novel, haha. I’m a little passionate about books.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Saturday at 5:50 AM

Can someone point me to a good (not perfunctory, not not bad) Lily James performance?

I've yet to see it (and she was actually bad when I saw All About Eve).

by Anonymousreply 41Last Saturday at 5:54 AM

Every time I see a thread about Rebecca my ear worn turns into Carol Burnett... Rebecky! Rebecky! Rebecky!

by Anonymousreply 42Last Saturday at 6:54 AM

Worm...fucking autocorrect on this site... it's got the devotion to duty of Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Saturday at 6:55 AM

R39 at most it's 7 inches. Nudity won't help.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Saturday at 7:23 AM

Kristin Scott Thomas is starting to look like Jane Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Saturday at 7:29 AM

Do Armie's parents have any regrets?

by Anonymousreply 46Last Saturday at 8:15 AM

Armie is going to ruin this.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Saturday at 8:53 AM

He needs to walk around Manderlay naked or in sopping wet clothes that show off his nips and bulge

by Anonymousreply 48Last Saturday at 8:54 AM

I am not going to watch this if Armie doesn't present dong.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Saturday at 8:58 AM

It looks like it was written by Joe Shrapnel (Deborah Kerr's grandson!!) and Anna Waterhouse, who wrote Seberg, The Aftermath. Race and Frankie and Alice, with Jane Goodman credited alongside them (re-writes?) which doesn't bode well.

Ben Wheatley did a reasonable job with High Rise, after coming to attention with Sightseers.

James and Hamer cast in their own right doesn't bother me but together it looks wrong. The Trial Of Christine Keeler was very well done on the BBC at the start of the year, but the age gap between Keeler and Ward was 30 years, yet the age gap between the actors was 6 years. Both good performances but the predatory nature of the relationship didn't come across.

No doubt Ann Dowd will have fun as Mrs Van Hopper, and UK costume drama regulars Keeley Hawes, Tom Goodman Hill, Jane Lapatoire, Mark Lewis Jones and Sam Riley are in it too.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Saturday at 9:13 AM

[quote] Nobody agrees with me but I think the best version was BBC's with Emilia Fox and Charles Dance. Massive age gap, sexual, he was a total dick but she genuinely loved him. Diana Rigg as Danvers.

You forgot about Faye Dunaway, you little homosexual boy, who was SO BRILLIANT as Mrs Van Hopper!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51Last Saturday at 9:24 AM

TIL that “shrapnel” was named after a person. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Saturday at 10:33 AM

R34 Profanity! If his upper crust british accent is as good as his Russian in UNCLE give him an OBE now.

by Anonymousreply 53Last Saturday at 5:03 PM

R49: His career is based solely on his looks and he refuses to show more skin. How he manages to stay employed and still get roles is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 54Last Saturday at 5:28 PM

Who was cast as the brook and the farm?

by Anonymousreply 55Last Saturday at 5:29 PM

Vincent D’Onofrio is all over Twitter rn trying to #SaveDaredevil

by Anonymousreply 56Last Saturday at 7:16 PM

Wretched stuff...gimme a chocolate QUICK!

by Anonymousreply 57Last Saturday at 7:41 PM

Are you kidding me? Armie fucking Hammer is playing Lawrence Olivier's role?! I'm sorry, Olivier's farts had more acting talent than Hammer. Lilly James and Kristin Scott Thomas are alright. I'm curious if they're going to be more direct with the fact that Mrs. Danvers was in love with Rebecca and her death is what drives her over the edge.

BTW Dame Judith Anderson (who allegedly was a big old dyke in real life) gives what I think is one of the best cinematic performances in old Hollywood history as Mrs Danvers in the original 1940 film. She plays the role with restrained mastery to the paint that every muscle movement is significant. She should have won the oscar for that role.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Saturday at 7:51 PM

R58 Anderson's performance was brilliant. The only times she really moves her body is when she is in Rebecca's room showing the underwear. Not only does she move her body more, her speaking style changes with her voice becoming higher and softer. I am surprised she never won an Oscar at all during her career.

by Anonymousreply 59Last Saturday at 10:14 PM

Pajama party at Manderlay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60Last Saturday at 10:35 PM

Who the fuck is this hussy? She's worse than Liv.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Saturday at 11:50 PM

I agree that the Jeremy Brett/ Joanna David "Mystery" remake was the best version (Brett was also the best-ever Sherlock Holmes, IMO).

That said, I expect Kristin Scott Thomas as Mrs. Danvers will be Oscar-worthy in this version. Scheming, controlling bitch is the role she was born to play -- since it doesn't require her to act.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Sunday at 1:44 AM

R62 this isn't getting anywhere near the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Sunday at 3:14 AM

R62s comment is yet another reference I've seen on DL to Scott Thomas ' alleged awfulness. I've never heard similar things anywhere else. Can someone give me some specific diva /bitch stories about her?

by Anonymousreply 64Last Sunday at 3:51 AM

Is this thing going to half empty theatres, onto Netflix or both?

by Anonymousreply 65Last Sunday at 4:21 AM

I thought I read she retreats deeply into character and so can be quite stand offish or seen as such?

by Anonymousreply 66Last Sunday at 4:22 AM

R65 = idiot

by Anonymousreply 67Last Sunday at 4:34 AM

Anything would be better than the original. What a crashing bore!

by Anonymousreply 68Last Sunday at 4:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69Last Sunday at 4:53 AM

The costumes look cheap. Don’t bother making a period film if you can’t afford decent costumes. God.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Sunday at 5:06 AM

Her wig is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 71Last Sunday at 5:10 AM

Wouldn’t it be more interesting having Rebecca set in present-day instead of making it a period film? People will obviously prefer the original over a poorly-cast copycat. Have we heard Armie’s English accent?

by Anonymousreply 72Last Sunday at 5:15 AM

Armie may have had a bit of trouble with the accent

[quote] When I spoke to Hammer on the set he said his character, Maxim, had also been 'modernised'; though he still had plenty of secrets.

[quote]Accents clearly denoted class back then, but the actor, who captures de Winter's urbane exterior, which conceals his inner turmoil, opted for a tone that's less clipped and dated than Olivier's. 'Still posh, though,' he noted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73Last Sunday at 5:28 AM

R67, I asked because upthread I saw someone posting about Oscar nominations. I was unsure whether Netflix was releasing in theatres as well as streaming. It is amusing to me an honest question unleaded your inner vulgarian. You seem really nice. Can't imagine why you're still single.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Sunday at 5:55 AM

I saw Lily James in the West End production of "All About Eve" and she was absolutely dreadful. Why is someone so devoid of talent, charisma, and personality continually showered with high profile projects (from Chris Evans' beard to an adaptation of a film classic)?

by Anonymousreply 75Last Sunday at 6:09 AM

[quote]Wouldn’t it be more interesting having Rebecca set in present-day instead of making it a period film? People will obviously prefer the original over a poorly-cast copycat.

When the director first started talking about this new version, it sounded like it WAS going to be modern. I was surprised to find it's not.

I don't see how the story works with them so obviously close in age. Also, the bleached blonde hair doesn't exactly scream 'wallflower'.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Sunday at 6:20 AM

R73 What’s with that weird face tattoo Lily has, is the update taking place in Somoa?

by Anonymousreply 77Last Sunday at 6:26 AM

This looks wrong all the way around. Armie is wrong, too young and not talented enough, Lily is wrong and too ugly, KST is wrong and too well maintained.. The original film is so carefully constructed, and the crucial Hitchcock touch will be missed. I can't see this version working at all.

by Anonymousreply 78Last Sunday at 6:47 AM

Whats with the Rob Delaney / Armie bromance on twitter? Are they gearing up to some joint project or something?

How come this thread had become chalafreaks central? Don't you guys have some bracelets to analyse eksewhere?

Armie and Lily james look fine together. Granted, there's no age gap between them but this is not a cc or the original?

by Anonymousreply 79Last Sunday at 7:31 AM

Rob Delaney is a Jew obsessed crank who loves thw far left, and going by Hamer’s anti Biden comments, they have a lot in common.

America, please take Delaney back. Please.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Sunday at 11:32 AM

r78 Lily James is the opposite of ugly, and much better looking than Jean Fontaine, and many of those alleged beauties of yesteryear were midgets. James is too good-looking for the role.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Sunday at 12:50 PM

R81 is Olivia de Havilland

by Anonymousreply 82Last Sunday at 12:56 PM

R75 she was in Baby Driver. I think she has connections with creeps like Kevin Spacey. Same with Hammer. Just saw Hammer in a film recently and I can’t understand how he’s still getting work. He’s not only awful he’s usually so much worse than even the no name cast.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Sunday at 1:41 PM

[quote]Granted, there's no age gap between them but this is not a cc or the original?

The age gap is important to the relationship dynamic of the characters, just like in Jane Eyre. They're not supposed to be peers or close in age, because that fucks with everything. It's not about what previous versions have done.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Sunday at 6:06 PM

Rob Delaney makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That rarely happens. What's the story with him, r80?

by Anonymousreply 85Last Sunday at 6:53 PM

Indeed, armie will no doubt win awards for this fine portrayl of the legendary lead of this epic.

Kristin? nay....

by Anonymousreply 86Yesterday at 12:41 AM

Please, Joan Fontaine was lovely. You have no idea r81, what you’re saying. Olivia was lovely too. They both inherited the unfortunate round shoulders from their mother. But lovely ladies both.

by Anonymousreply 87Yesterday at 8:12 AM

Both were quite lovely, but Joan Fontaine was undoubtedly more beautiful. Olivia was cute, but she had zero sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 88Yesterday at 10:16 AM

R88 They always looked so similar to me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89Yesterday at 4:16 PM

Joan had this ability to play younger than she was...in THE CONSTANT NYMPH and LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN. She was quite convincing as a teenager in those films.

by Anonymousreply 9014 hours ago

Joan Fontaine had amazing bone structure. In her late teens, Scarlett Johansson looked like her.

by Anonymousreply 9113 hours ago

^ I was just going to say, side by side there is similarity but Fontaine's face is more angular while de Havilland's is wider, either heart or oval shaped.

by Anonymousreply 9213 hours ago

I am not getting the Hitchcock vibe. Is this supposed to be a “lite” version?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9310 hours ago

Genre-jumping

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9410 hours ago

[quote]Rob Delaney makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That rarely happens. What's the story with him, [R80]?

He's a racist who thinks his racism can be excused because 1. he self identifies as a comedian and 2. he's a recovered alcoholic.

He signed a letter ahead of last year's general election accusing Jews of making up complaints against Jeremy Corbyn.

He's disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 959 hours ago

As a testament to Lily James' appeal as an actress, the most interesting posts in this thread have been about Joan Fontaine.

by Anonymousreply 969 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!