Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A question for those working in higher education

I have seen in several threads that there are quite a few people who work in higher education that monitor/post regularly.

I am returning this fall as a masters student, and part of my assistantship is being a teaching assistant for a class. I learned today that the “class” I was supposed to work with has been split in two. Most of the class is online, but some things will be done in person.

I am NOT complaining about the split (even though it creates more time that I will need to devote to working, even if it is only one hour per week) just wondering what others are facing. I’ve seen a lot of guidance about reduction in class size, especially limiting the number of students in a computer lab, and I was wondering what everyone else is experiencing.

Stay sane, everyone!

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 6:19 AM

Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 1July 31, 2020 12:20 AM

R1, I did get a Will written.

I don’t think you’re in it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 31, 2020 12:54 AM

R2 - I can correct your homework and rub your feet. I am also a pretty decent top...but only if you use Apple products and douche before sex and avoid the chili con carne like a self respecting homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 3July 31, 2020 1:27 AM

Ernst, it should be fairly easy to accomplish your duties as a T.A. If not, you're working for the wrong prof or you chose a lousy grad program.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 4July 31, 2020 1:36 AM

I’m so excited, an Ernst post!

by Anonymousreply 5July 31, 2020 6:59 AM

Hey Ernst! Don't forget to ask some frat boys to pound your ass once school is back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 12:40 PM

What Ivy or other over-priced playpen are you attending that you have an assistantship available to you? I withdraw the remark if you are in STEM.

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 12:43 PM

I do not know anything about TA because I went to a graduate program without any undergrads and now I teach in a undergrad program without grad students.

But it is going to be emotionally difficult because we know we are delivering an inferior product this fall. Studio classes do not work online. Discussion/lecture classes are less engaged.

A good part of the teaching happens walking to and from class, in line at the coffee stand, and parking lot. Informal conversation between teacher and student or between student and student is where a lot of the education really happens.

But there are no informal conversations on Zoom.

by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2020 12:51 PM

Hey, Moose! I hope you’re surviving the virus!

R7, I am attending Ohio State. It is a grant funded position. I’m writing a “model curriculum” for teachers in the state in a STEM field. I also am working with some pre-service teaching methods students.

I agree, R8! The person who took my position in Minnesota when I moved quit the job in the middle of their remote learning. The district asked me to return (from a distance) to finish out the year since my MN License was still valid. It was so different. Even kids who I had in class for years were distant and less engaged. I was surprised when Ohio State didn’t shift the class I’m helping with online, but hopefully that means it is a better class.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 1:37 PM

Ernst, you should have gone back home. Columbus will suck any reason for living out of you.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 1:42 PM

R10, I’ve been living in Columbus for more than a year and I really like it, actually. It is a touch hotter here than it is in Minnesota, but I grew up in New Mexico, so I’m not complaining about this heat. I don’t really have any other complaints.

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2020 2:56 AM

Thank you, Ernst.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2020 6:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!