Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Congressional GOP staffers say they're required to come to work in person but their bosses aren't taking precautions

Congressional Republican staffers said they're being forced to come to work in person but their bosses are not taking the necessary precautions to protect them against coronavirus.

Several aides to Congress members and other Capitol workers revealed to Politico anonymously that they have been derided for wearing masks, not allowed adequate quarantine periods, provided no or very slow testing, and are in fear of retaliation if critical of work practices.

"I work in a Republican House office and while we're not encouraged to not wear a mask, we are essentially required to work in the office," one House Republican staffer told Politico. "We worked from home for a couple days when one of my coworkers was potentially exposed to Covid, but even then, many of my colleagues kept working in the office. We were told to report to work as normal even before the test came back negative because the results were taking too long. I was left feeling guilty for teleworking even though I have an underlying health condition."

"Ridiculing people for wearing masks is also not uncommon," an aide of a Republican congress member who previously had COVID-19 said to Politico. "I think you'd find a lot of offices in the anti-mask brigade are forcing staff to report to work even if they have legitimate concerns about their health. I'm sure you also [could] find some are having staff … travel to districts in high risk areas and then not providing for quarantine afterwards."

One worker also pointed out a stark difference they observed between workplace measures implemented by Democrats versus Republicans.

"If you asked me to give you a breakdown of mask usage in member offices, it's nearly universal in Democratic offices based on my random observations; within Republican offices, it's probably under 50%," a chief administrative tech staffer told Politico. "And some GOP offices ask why you are wearing a mask, which puts our staff in an awkward position — do you say because of the pandemic and risk the office taking that as a political stand? Do you take it off to make them feel better?"

"There is a general fear that saying anything critical of the current office policy — or lack of policy — will lead to retaliation," an aide said to Politico.

The eyebrow-raising submissions come after Politico first reported that GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday, one day after he appeared on the Hill at Attorney General William Barr's House Judiciary hearing.

An aide quickly disclosed afterward to Politico that Gohmert requires full staff to show up to his Capitol office so they "could be an example to America on how to open up safely" and that they were often berated for wearing face-coverings.

A "flood" of similar assertions were then relayed to Politico by other Republican staffers, according to reporter Jake Sherman.

All 535 Congress members have their own office and employ their own staff, meaning workplace rules and practices differ based on the individual one works for. There is no central human resources office for congressional staff.

Gohmert, who said he is asymptomatic and in isolation, later denied the claim by his employee.

"They're saying I berated staff for wearing masks," Gohmert told Sean Hannity in a Fox News interview Wednesday evening. "That's a lie."

The Republican representative from Texas was also called out by his colleagues for repeatedly refusing to wear a mask while at work. Lawmakers soon became increasingly alarmed at the potentiality of exposure to the disease, as many are of old age and would be at high risk of falling severely ill should they contract the virus, according to CDC guidance.

Some Congress members who Gohmert was in close proximity to on Capitol Hill have said they will self-quarantine after learning of his diagnosis. Barr, who was seen near Gohmert in a video shortly before the hearing, has tested negative for the virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 10:35 PM

The Capitol has been relatively lax with its coronavirus prevention policies since the pandemic began. Members of Congress and their staff are not routinely tested, unlike President Donald Trump and those working close to him.

On Thursday morning, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi officially made mask-wearing a requirement for everyone in all parts of the chamber, including Republican offices, and at all times except for when giving a speech or interview while socially distanced, when eating or drinking, alone in an office, or if they are unable to due to medical conditions.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2020 10:22 PM

matt gaetz has great hair, it has to be said

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2020 10:23 PM

Boo hoo.

You work for a Republican, that's what you get.

Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2020 10:25 PM

LOL.

Lie down with dogs, get fleas...or deadly viruses.

I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2020 10:26 PM

Their first mistake was working for GOP congressmen in the first place!

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2020 10:26 PM

Herman Cain approves of this message!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2020 10:27 PM

It does sound really awful.

So quit.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2020 10:36 PM

[quote]matt gaetz has great hair, it has to be said

He uses spunk as conditioner.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2020 10:36 PM

Cuban spunk

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2020 10:38 PM

R7, maybe hold the Republicans responsible for not giving a shit about their employees

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2020 10:39 PM

[quote] matt gaetz has great hair, it has to be said

[quote] He uses spunk as conditioner

No doubt, his adopted son Nestor from Cuba helps him with that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2020 10:40 PM

Is Nestor a staffer too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote]maybe hold the Republicans responsible for not giving a shit about their employees

You can't teach that dog any tricks, so... decency? I prefer not to waste my time.

If they don't like it, quit.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2020 10:42 PM

y'all sayin matt is gay?!

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2020 10:43 PM

r13, because it's so easy to get a new job when the economy is in the toilet

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote] because it's so easy to get a new job when the economy is in the toilet

Uh, they work for the very people who pushed the economy down the toilet. And who do you think did all the work behind the scenes? The very same who complain now about the unsafe work environment.

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2020 10:47 PM

These are the same staffers who gleefully Tweet and Re-tweet some of the most foul shit on the Twitter. Don't tell me you thought it was the actual congressman crones tweeting update status on social media...

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2020 10:51 PM

Now they're all terrified because of what happened with Hermain Cain.

Tough luck, fuckers!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2020 10:52 PM

r16, I think they should stay.....and put their bosses on blast for their horrible treatment of employees

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2020 10:54 PM

[quote] y'all sayin matt is gay?!

Just his hair, his dick and his hole.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2020 11:10 PM

And his mouth, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2020 11:11 PM

R15, as a matter of curiosity, who ties your shoes for you? Or cuts your meat? Or tells you the time?

I ask because obviously you are deeply stupid.

Correct, the economy sucks. But these are Republican hill staffers. They are educated. They are connected. They very likely have the bank of mom and dad at home. They can quit. And they work in a place where their employers are showing negligent disregard for their health and safety in the face of a potentially deadly disease with limited treatments and no vaccine. So with all those advantages, should they just hunker down and hope they don't ge sick because the economy sucks?

One other thing, they aren't pulling your leg. Every four years there is a February 29th.

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2020 11:17 PM

I really don’t care, do you?

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2020 11:24 PM

Color me shocked that Republican legislators establish policies designed to harm the less powerful, for the sole purpose of demonstrating fidelity to some laughable principle.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 1:25 AM

Could not care less about the problems of these privileged Young Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 1:26 AM

"They can quit."

Funny, that's why Republicans usually say when people complain about discrimination, sexual harassment, unsafe working conditions, etc. "If you hate your job, just quit!"

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 2:18 AM

What R 22 said . These privileged young rethugs educated in the best private schools daddy could buy.....,,. Have zero critical thinking skills

First requirement of incoming Rethuglican staggers is keep your head empty of thought and your nose brown with trumps Shit.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 2:34 AM

R27, it’s more like : lie down with Republicans, wake up with rabies.

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2020 10:04 PM

Wahhhh!!! We're being treated like normal Americans! Wahhhh!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2020 10:05 PM

Womp, womp cunts!

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2020 10:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!