Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago (via NYT)

Good read and for you Homosexuals who don't subscribe to the NYT:

After Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential race, the Republican National Committee chairman, Reince Priebus, commissioned an internal party study to examine why the party had won the popular vote only once since 1988.

The results of that so-called autopsy were fairly obvious: The party needed to appeal to more people of color, reach out to younger voters, become more welcoming to women. Those conclusions were presented as not only a political necessity but also a moral mandate if the Republican Party were to be a governing party in a rapidly changing America.

Then Donald Trump emerged and the party threw all those conclusions out the window with an almost audible sigh of relief: Thank God we can win without pretending we really care about this stuff. That reaction was sadly predictable.

I spent decades working to elect Republicans, including Mr. Romney and four other presidential candidates, and I am here to bear reluctant witness that Mr. Trump didn’t hijack the Republican Party. He is the logical conclusion of what the party became over the past 50 or so years, a natural product of the seeds of race-baiting, self-deception and anger that now dominate it. Hold Donald Trump up to a mirror and that bulging, scowling orange face is today’s Republican Party.

I saw the warning signs but ignored them and chose to believe what I wanted to believe: The party wasn’t just a white grievance party; there was still a big tent; the others guys were worse. Many of us in the party saw this dark side and told ourselves it was a recessive gene. We were wrong. It turned out to be the dominant gene.

What is most telling is that the Republican Party actively embraced, supported, defended and now enthusiastically identifies with a man who eagerly exploits the nation’s racial tensions. In our system, political parties should serve a circuit breaker function. The Republican Party never pulled the switch.

Racism is the original sin of the modern Republican Party. While many Republicans today like to mourn the absence of an intellectual voice like William Buckley, it is often overlooked that Mr. Buckley began his career as a racist defending segregation.

In the Richard Nixon White House, Pat Buchanan and Kevin Phillips wrote a re-election campaign memo headed “Dividing the Democrats” in which they outlined what would come to be known as the Southern Strategy. It assumes there is little Republicans can do to attract Black Americans and details a two-pronged strategy: Utilize Black support of Democrats to alienate white voters while trying to decrease that support by sowing dissension within the Democratic Party.

That strategy has worked so well that it was copied by the Russians in their 2016 efforts to help elect Mr. Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 2:09 AM

File this under DUH.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]After Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential race, the Republican National Committee chairman, Reince Priebus, commissioned an internal party study to examine why the party had won the popular vote only once since 1988.

[quote]Then Donald Trump emerged and the party threw all those conclusions out the window with an almost audible sigh of relief: Thank God we can win without pretending we really care about this stuff.

Does he not realize that Trump lost the popular vote too?

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 5:45 PM

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 5:47 PM

The Republican Party has been a fascist party since Sept. 11, 2001.

That's when they embraced a police state and lies to perpetuate unsustainable wars. That's when they embraced Orwellian propaganda and threw out due process. That's when the "11th Commandment" of loyalty at all costs and no criticism of Republicans allowed. Neither Bush, nor Trump, nor McCain nor McConnell ever accepted responsibility for their colossal failures.

Now, with Trump, they support any and all crimes committed by Republican officials and just attack the media or slander critics when they don't like what they hear — dictator shit.

Stubborn, completely dishonest fascists who've dropped all morality, self awareness or adherence to the law. They don't even stick up for conservative principles anymore with the exception of tax cuts for the rich.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 5:51 PM

It’s not like it isn’t working

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 11:31 PM

Christ almighty that closeup! *shudder*

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 11:45 PM

R6: It' because Drumpf is the embodiment of evil. I'm getting every indication that the Republican party is going to suffer a bloodbath in November.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 11:58 PM

Thank you r4 for being so polite to not mention my decade earlier campaigns to eliminate political decorum and foster war-like behavior against the other political party.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2020 12:45 AM

Good one.

by Anonymousreply 9July 31, 2020 4:23 PM

Republicans became crooked scum long before 2015.

by Anonymousreply 10July 31, 2020 5:07 PM

Who wrote this?

by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 5:13 PM

R11, Stuart Stevens Mr. Stevens is a Republican political consultant

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 5:17 PM

This guy R11

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2020 5:17 PM

That's why I am a registered Libertarian.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2020 5:18 PM

R6, I know. I saw only the eyes at first, and before scrolling down, I literally had a moment when I thought it was a baby orangutan. It was the tufts of hair, white capsule eyes, and orange skin.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2020 5:23 PM

Yikes he has pig eyes

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 5:24 PM

[quote] I'm getting every indication that the Republican party is going to suffer a bloodbath in November.

What I'm struggling to understand: how the Republican Party can plan for and execute a 40-50 year plan, but GOP Senators seem not to consider their re-election chances at SCOTUS appointment votes, impeachment hearings, et cetera within 1-3 years before supporting Hair Furor.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 5:27 PM

The Republican Party hasn't had a heart or soul since 1910.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 7:42 PM

I saw this piece as well and while it doesn't tell us anything new, it does crystallize how the GOP has repeatedly avoided moving away from race and gay baiting. Thing is, to reinvent the party would necessitate being out of power for a while, and the dinosaurs of the party cannot deal with that.

Plus all the fundies would break away and form a third party. They DO NOT want a bigger tent in the GOP. They want to be their own tent.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 7:12 PM

Never count the GOP out. They were slaughtered in the 64 election. Four years later. Nixon won. Another 4 years later. Nixon won. After watergate the GOP was again pronounced dead. Then came Roe v Wade & the Iranian hostage crisis (organized by the CIA to get rid of Carter. Worked)

They stole 2000, 2004 & 2016. We know they stole it. We knew they were stealing it as they did it. But it didn’t stop them. Nobody stopped them. I don’t think anyone will stop them if they steal it again.

GOP has been trying for decades to destroy the US & put in a permanent authoritarian capitalist system, just like the permanent authoritarian capitalist systems we put in power throughout Central & South America.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2020 2:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!