Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The CORE of Christianity is forgiveness

Please explain Cancel Culture in that context

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2020 7:36 AM

Society and culture consists of much more than religion

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 11:18 AM

I see no forgiveness from the supposed Christians on the right

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 11:32 AM

Do not confuse the teaching of Jesus with the core of the Christian Church.

The core of the christian church is CONTROL.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote]The CORE of Christianity is forgiveness

No, it's not.

This is a ridiculous and false claim by someone who doesn't understand both history and christianity.

If you're going to mock them, at least get it right, rather than responding to the screaming voices inside your own head.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 12:33 PM

Cancel culture is based on secularism/social engineering ideology, not Christianity or spirituality.

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 12:37 PM

Christianity?

It’s 2020, Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 12:40 PM

The CORE of Christianity is myth.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 12:40 PM

Cancel culture began when Jesus threw the moneychangers out of the Temple.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2020 12:41 PM

[quote]Cancel culture began when Jesus threw the moneychangers out of the Temple.

I thought cancel culture started when God threw Lucifer out of heaven for being a whiny b*tch.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2020 3:45 PM

The core of Christianity is that GOD forgives.

What that has to do with this whiny, bullshit, right-wing nonsense that goes under the phrase "cancel culture" I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2020 3:49 PM

The root of forgiveness comes from the perpetrator actually being sorry for what they did.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2020 3:50 PM

[quote]The core of Christianity is that GOD forgives.

The core of christianity is the belief that Jesus died for our sins, and his resurrection is the fulfillment of the new covenant with God through which man is offered salvation and the promise of eternal life.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2020 4:00 PM

Cancel culture is just a bunch of short sighted ding dongs playing out their narcissism on the internet. Obama said they’re misguided

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2020 4:03 PM

Forgiveness comes AFTER the punishment and ONLY AFTER the culprit has atoned for their sins..

Jesus..

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2020 4:05 PM

Yeah, my point was that the core had to do with God's forgiveness (through Jesus sacrificial act on the cross which offered salvation....blah blah blah) and not men forgiving others for being racist pigs.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2020 4:05 PM

[quote]Yeah, my point was that the core had to do with God's forgiveness (through Jesus sacrificial act on the cross which offered salvation....blah blah blah) and not men forgiving others for being racist pigs.

And your point is still wrong - the core is not about forgiveness. You can keep repeating it, but it's still not going to be correct.

You see, many of us actually understand why we don't agree with or believe in things before taking a kneejerk position that it doesn't make a lot of sense and is fundamentally flawed. Nor did we learn all the contradictions in the bible by watching the episode of West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2020 2:01 PM

All culture is a system of preferences and anti-preferences. Religion is a kind of culture. Cancel culture is too.

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2020 2:04 PM

We foolishly thought we replaced Christianity with Atheism. That’s not possible. So this new religion of Wokeism is filling the void.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2020 2:12 PM

They expect forgiveness, rarely give it to anyone except their own.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2020 3:40 PM

R4 and others. At the core of Christ's message, is forgiveness (Matthew 18:21-22 and well, just about everything else Jesus is reported to have taught in the Gospels). One could certainly distinguish that from the belief systems and behaviors of "Christianists" over the centuries.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2020 3:44 PM

Bullfuckingshit!!

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2020 3:53 PM

I've oft contemplated the concept of forgiveness as relates to the Christian religion. Some things just don't make any sense. How the hell are you supposed to welcome back into the fold someone who's tried to kill you multiple times, for example??? Haha. So, we meditate on the issue. We see Jesus as He was then and as He is now speaking what He spoke. We think most intensely, giving much consideration to context - what was going on at that time? We realize that they wanted to kill someone for every sort of infraction. If one scratched his ass at precisely 2:23pm on a Thursday, then he was to be put to death - for example. After much thought, we have drawn the conclusion that to forgive someone simply means don't execute them for their wrong doing.

"The law says that this woman must be stoned to death for lying with a man in fornication." "I don't care what the law says. I'm telling you bunch of hypocritical fucks 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.' And the whole crowd had to admit that they'd just gotten dealt with "damn, Damn, DAMN!!"

by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2020 4:13 PM

These right wing talking points are really really crappy by this point. Trump is going to lose, and lose hard. Cancel that.

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2020 5:56 PM

So where does the Demon Semen come into Christian play?

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2020 5:57 PM

[quote] Please explain Cancel Culture in that context

Why should I? Please do not assume I am Christian.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2020 6:03 PM

The mythos of Christ is about the spark of divinity within each of us, and acknowledging that, to treat everyone equally as ourselves. Which includes forgiveness.

I can't think of anything less forgiving--or Christ-like, for that matter--than the preening narcissism of the cancel culture movement. As Christ preached, "Why do you notice the sawdust in your brother's eye, but fail to perceive the wooden beam in your own?"

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2020 6:04 PM

😆The😇CORE🤣of😁CHRISTIANITY😉is🤪forgiveness😂

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2020 6:05 PM

Mithras was cheated!!!

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2020 6:10 PM

R26, I like your Christ but I don't like your Christians.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2020 6:21 PM

Need to read that lil' Bible again OP. The CORE of Christianity is Conditional Love.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2020 6:33 PM

The core of Protestant Christianity is that they are pre-destined, chosen of God, (Romans 8:28-30) be and therefore set apart from "the world." (Romans 12:22, I John 2:15 and others).

Christians are told in the New Testament to put aside the things of the world and to "prove" their beliefs through works (Faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26)

This creates a mentality of separateness (and NOT equality) and therefore being special, extra and above others. Don't be fooled, Protestant Christianity is not inclusive, it is not tolerant, and it is all about SHOWING your works, goodness, piety. As the outward appearance is important, it encourages a natural position of judgment.

These books were written by disciples of Christ who often were competing churches spread throughout Greece and other countries. Even THEY did not agree about their philosophies.

If you think the entire Bible shows a God of only forgiveness, think again. Read: Daniel, Hosea, Ezekiel, Revelation, Proverbs, Romans, Thessalonians, James, 1 John ...

I'm not saying I subscribe to these views or teachings any longer, but I have learned them at least half of my adult life.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 6:34 PM

“We can do whatever we want, and God will always forgive us because we are SAAAAVED!”

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 6:47 PM

Romans 1:26, y'all....

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 6:48 PM

The Amish believe their Christianity is based on forgiveness. When kids were murdered in the Nickle Mines school, their parents went to the home of the killer's wife offering comfort and forgiveness for her husband.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote] Nor did we learn all the contradictions in the bible by watching the episode of West Wing.

I learned that the Bible is a title of a book and, therefore, capitalized. But not from an episode of the West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2020 6:58 PM

[quote]I learned that the Bible is a title of a book and, therefore, capitalized. But not from an episode of the West Wing.

Then, you learned incorrectly.

bible: any book, reference work, periodical, etc., accepted as authoritative, informative, or reliable.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2020 7:02 PM

Sweetie, when you are referring to THE Bible it's capitalized. Your definition is for a generic word, not the title of the book. Do fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2020 7:06 PM

Franky, I think it's adorable that christians take their mythology so seriously.

It's like discussing Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy with children who are so adamant that they exist. It would be even more adorable if they didn't go around thinking that their make believe games gives them the moral justification to judge other people.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote] When referring to the holy Christian book itself, the word Bible should always be capitalized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2020 7:08 PM

It’s not devout Christians fueling cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2020 7:10 PM

R28 Actually if you're going to raise that flag, it was Pan.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2020 7:24 PM

Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. It is in forgiving others that we experience freedom and release.

And upthread the description of Calvinist theology (predestination) - that's a particular kind of Protestantism, not all by any means.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote] It is in forgiving others that we experience freedom and release.

No, there is no quid pro quo here. It isn't we forgive others so that God will forgive us. It is a petition that God forgive us, which would be a gift God freely gives without condition or merit (grace). The forgiveness that saves is the forgiveness God gives us.

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2020 7:34 PM

What R38 said.

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote]When referring to the holy Christian book itself, the word Bible should always be capitalized.

You're not really up on diction or authorial voice, are you.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2020 8:27 PM

You realize that was a quotation from the linked website, right? Is it so hard for you to admit you were wrong?

by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote]You realize that was a quotation from the linked website, right? Is it so hard for you to admit you were wrong?

Yes, we all know what point you're trying to make.

But, in your limited fashion, you're simply unable to grasp anything beyond a pedantic notion of your delusions requiring capitalization.

Let me spell it out for you. I didn't capitalize the word on purpose. It wasn't an accident. It wasn't a typo. It wasn't ignorance of the current writing fashion of capitalizing it. It was an intentional authorial choice NOT to capitalize the word in order to emphasize the underlying point I was making.

I wasn't wrong. I did not make an error. It was an intentional choice for both editorial commentary AND to irritate silly people like you.

There. Is that clear enough to grasp?

by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2020 8:34 PM

Whatever it takes to make yourself feel better, r47.

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote]...AND to irritate silly people like you.

[quote]Whatever it takes to make yourself feel better, [R47].

Mission accomplished.

You seem like the type of person who has to have the last word. So, go ahead and respond.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2020 8:44 PM

Oh, punkin, I'm not irritated with you. You don't have that much power. You are an ant to me.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2020 8:46 PM

The core of Christianity became control, as r3 states, and imperialism when Roman emperor Constantine converted to Christianity. The core of American Christianity is self-righteousness.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2020 9:11 PM

R51 what you call self-righteousness, others call holiness.

R43 I think these are two distinct ways to think of these principles, which are actually the operating system of being and consciousness, and is where Christianity (as defined as the experience, not the codified, structure human construct of The Church and her adherents)... we are caught and filled with maya, the false presence of fragmented ideation and psychological separations... "attachment" the cause of all human suffering.

We can be "born again" to see our unitary reality... and a way to "empty" the false mind that divides is to forgive.... I think Jesus and Buddha are saying exactly the same thing. Unconditional love is the unitary energy of all creation. Resentment (re-feeling) blocks the apprehension of the present moment, where creation is happening.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2020 10:04 PM

The core of Christianity is FAITH!

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2020 10:43 PM

Thank you r52 for taking as boring and pointless as christianity and making it even more boring and pointless.

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2020 10:54 PM

This may be useful to the debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2020 12:25 AM

Religion is always about control.

by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2020 2:07 AM

R56 Christianity as religion = control

Christianity as experience of consciousness = just the opposite

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2020 2:22 AM

I would suggest that the scolding Cancel Culture is descended from the Calvinists (my grandparents were of that persuasion).

R42 You mention Calvinism and allude to something upthread but I'm not sure as to which you're referring.

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2020 2:29 AM

R58 Depictions of Calvinism as representative of all Protestant traditions. C.f. R31

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2020 2:35 AM

R42, R59 Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2020 2:42 AM

R31 So you talk about chapters from the New Testament versus chapters from the Old Testament.

Are you saying they are better or worse? or that they display the scolding quality that we now see in the current Cancel Culture.

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2020 3:00 AM

Blow it out thine arse, r61.

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2020 5:39 AM

Christianity has no core, other than to spread itself. It's the coronavirus of religions.

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2020 5:52 AM

Cancellation is permanent. There is no one to appeal to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2020 12:39 PM

R64 I skimmed through Giles Fraser's piece in bed as I was nodding off to sleep.

He's Anglican being scornful of his Catholic rivals and their medieval practices.

But the Anglican and the Catholic churches are both rapidly losing their adherents to the Woke religion.

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2020 10:50 PM

R65 Perhaps a correlation v. causation error. Conservative Evangelical Christianity is losing adherents, doesn't have adherents in the woke generation. For woke generation age range, I'd guess there's a higher percentage of Episcopalians than Baptists... but perhaps not, there's that weird Justin Bieber, Churchome, Hillsong... and now Kanye stuff.

But the point: all organized religion is "losing" adherents... among the Z generation.

by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2020 2:01 AM

Yes, all organized Christian religions are losing their adherents .

But I’m amused that the current generation Woke SJW Millennial are behaving exactly the same as their evangelising scolding grandparents.

I loathe this current generation of scolding Cancel Culture even though they’re an extreme version of traditional Calvinism (of whom I have a mild admiration)

I don’t think traditional Calvinists ever forgave. They said wrongdoers must wear their ‘mark of cain’ until death.

The OP says ‘The core of Christianity is forgiveness’ but I feel that notion of forgiveness was used in the traditional Catholic religion (for whom I have NO admiration).

I see a great difference between Catholicism and Protestants and I’m intrigued that R31 uses the word Protestant twice and mentions Old Testament as well as New Testament chapters.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2020 2:40 AM

That’s so easy to explain, religion is a bunch of lies created to ruin your life.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2020 2:44 AM

R68 ... although the OP asks about Christianity, not religion. There's an important distinction.

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2020 2:46 AM

[quote] Cancel culture began when Jesus threw the moneychangers out of the Temple.

They were back at their job as soon as he walked away, so no. Cancellation is permanent.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2020 2:48 AM

Still a bunch of lies.

by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2020 2:52 AM

[quote] Yeah, my point was that the core had to do with God's forgiveness (through Jesus sacrificial act on the cross which offered salvation....

I don’t think there is a limited, particular, core that excludes all else, but I think salvation through Christ the Redeemer is a major component of Christianity, Christ’s sacrifice completes the story of Abraham and his potential sacrifice of his own son, Isaac; followed by the sacrificial lambs who’s blood told the Angel of Death to pass over the homes of the Israelites in Egypt. This is why we refer to Jesus as the “Lamb of God”, who takes away the sins of the world, so that all may be forgiven and receive salvation. The three stories are like poetry written over 5000 years. The most holy Catholic holiday isn’t Christmas, seemingly the biggest Catholic today; it’s Easter, the death and resurrection of Jesus.

I also think that shared community, as in communion, is an major component, too.

by Anonymousreply 72August 2, 2020 6:57 AM

The CORE of Christianity is Jesus. And it's obvious he was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 2, 2020 7:24 AM

All the premises of OP are wrong, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

by Anonymousreply 74August 2, 2020 7:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!