Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there an Australian equivalent to the Hamptons or Palm Beach or Aspen?

Or do Australia's super-rich simply vacation abroad?

There doesn't seem to be an obvious version of the resort culture you see in North America or Europe or (to a lesser extent) Latin America. There's certainly the money for it - so where do they go?

I know it's a smaller population, but historically I'd think there was some watering hole they visited. Maybe Saratoga is closer to the mark in terms of scale?

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 2:10 AM

Porpoise Spit is very nice, I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2020 6:23 AM

Seth Efrica?

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2020 6:29 AM

Actually, the super wealthy in Sydney go to Palm Beach. It’s where Home and Away is filmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2020 6:39 AM

Similar to the US Palm Beach?

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2020 6:44 AM

Yes OP there is absolutely nowhere to go in a country with a coastline of 36,000 kilometres:

Nowhere like Palm Beach, Whale Beach or Avalon in Sydney, Byron Bay in far north New South Wales. Noosa and Maroochydore in Queensland, Portsea, Loren, Summers or Sorrento in Victoria. Margaret River in Western Australia.

For skiing there are plenty of resorts but for NSW it has to be Thredbo Or Charlottes Pass. For Victoria? Mt Hotham, Falls Creek or Mt Buller. Or we head over to NZ - usually to Queenstown

Then there’s countryside and wine country, such as the Hunter Valley and the Southern Highlands in NSW, Maleney and the hinterland of the Gold Coast in Queensland, the Yarra Valley and Mornington in Victoria and the Barossa and Clare Vallies in South Australia.

Then there’s Tasmania...but you get the picture. It’s a very large country. We get by...

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2020 7:08 AM

What about Darwin?

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2020 7:14 AM

Ha R6! For Darwinians I guess that that’s probably Bali.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2020 7:20 AM

r6 "nearby" Broome WA in the KImberley region has some resorts

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2020 7:20 AM

Can't you read, R5? "An obvious version of the resort culture you see in North America or Europe". Sorry, R5, but no one outside Australia has ever heard of those places you mentioned. There is no Vail, Palm Beach, St. Tropez or St. Moritz or Hamptons that are famous throughout the rest of the world. Also, OP mentioned "culture", not just scenic places. I don't know if or how that applies to the places you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2020 7:21 AM

There is a unpublicised enclave for rich people and their mansions in the Southern Highlands around Burradoo, Bong Bong and Bowral.

All the mansions are surrounded by acreage, big hedges and established gardens and are invisible from the street.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2020 7:23 AM

Actually, R9, I am able to read. I suspect that you can’t. You certainly can’t comprehend. Why would anybody in this country care about what anybody in the USA knows or cares about anywhere here?

With all due respect, Americans aren’t exactly famous for their knowledge or interest about places beyond their own square state. And you’ve just proved that - well done!

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2020 9:57 AM

R11 Exactly! Americans are complete and total dumb asses. They all fail geography.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2020 10:30 AM

Not this American. I’ve been to Australia several times during my Navy days. Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, even Port Hedland (urp). Friendly people even in the big cities. But you can have Port Hedland...great barbecue thrown by the locals but a dull town. Well, not that dull. Apparently a sailor from the British Navy had been raped by some of locals the week before our arrival. Got drunk and belligerent over a girl...beaten up, carried off to a nearby junkyard and buggered to within an inch of his life.

But they were nice to us Yanks.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2020 12:01 PM

Well, R4, sorry I peed directly in your face from thousands of miles away.

I didn't know about these places, and I was curious about them, so I asked perfectly politely.

And you know something? I'm really going to go out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet Americans have the rest of the Non-Australian planet along for the ride when it comes to intimate knowledge about these places.

Unless Alain Resnias made a film called "Last Year at Maroochydore".

SPOILER!!! He didn't.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2020 4:06 PM

Well, let’s take a little look at Maroochydore, according to R4 a world-renowned resort quite on a level with Baden-Baden or the Lido and a mystery solely to stupid Americans.

According to Wikipedia, the post office opened in 1922 and the library in 1975. There are over 16,000 inhabitants. It is “a suburb”, although precisely of what, the entry does not make particularly clear. In pictures it resembles the usual cement high-rises associated with lower-middle-class coastal development. The relocation of the Golf Course has allowed the Sunshine Regional Council to develop the old golf course into a new city centre for the region known as Sunshine Central. It is the sixth town mentioned in the original Australian version of the song “I’ve Been Everywhere,” which, while a stunning honor, would seem to imply that it is in fact not a top destination as these things go. It was the location of a tragic air crash in 1950.

Now why this place isn’t on the very top of my brain when it comes to developments in international resort culture can only be due to innate American stupidity, especially since I’m sure the international jet set has it marked down on their day-planner for a good two weeks at the height of the season. How its myriad attractions, which, in addition to the post office, include a – I am not making this up – landmarked trailer park, have not put Jupiter Island well and truly in the shade I’ll never be the one to tell.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2020 4:22 PM

Australians spend all their time dreaming about how they can leave Australia. Their equivalent to any resort is any place that isn't in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2020 4:29 PM

What a fucking cunt r5 is! The OP was genuinely interested about his country, and yet all he could offer is scathing contempt and pointless xenophobic generalizations.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2020 4:47 PM

Meh, he got up on the wrong side of the wombat is all.

My question pertains to development generally, as most resorts worldwide have roots in attempts to either cure illness through the taking of waters, sacred and otherwise, or flee, guess what, seasonal epidemics. It would be interesting to see if Australia followed this pattern in the 19th century, which generally led to everybody giving the healthful waters and fresh air a miss and going in for baccarat and flamboyant architecture.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2020 4:52 PM

And another goddamn thing! You fucking goddamn shithead Yanks should fucking want to come visit here because of our fucking famous hospitality and our goddamn beautiful manners Down Fucking Under!

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2020 1:39 AM

Portsea looks Hamptons-esque in terms of the housing stock.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2020 11:28 AM

Australia is a very long flight from America and Europe r9. Obviously that places limits on people hopping over to Australia for a beach trip.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2020 12:38 PM

Pam Ann sings about the delights of Australia in 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2020 1:24 PM

There is really no place nice in Australia. Oh there are places that are "nice" "in comparison" but outside the capital cities, everything is shit.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2020 1:59 PM

I have several friends from Australia and I truly adore them. They're kind, fun, all slightly eccentric and sexy as hell. But, although they are all well to do, they don't consider Australia to be the place where they want to live well. They're proud to be Australian but prefer to enjoy life in Europe or the US.

As most Australians seem to be very low key about everything, I think people looking for a life of luxury prefer to go somewhere else. Even the best parts of Sydney (South of the Bay) are rather provincial.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2020 2:35 PM

When I've asked Australians about interesting places to visit, they oddly come up short. Funny, because they're often so boastful. Perhaps they're saving the best for themselves or afraid of being judged. i noticed that when I brought up Kangaroo Island (which I visited a few years ago), people perked-up and mention of cities other than Sydney and Melbourne seems to get a nice response form people who aren't from those places. I rather liked Adelaide.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2020 2:36 PM

Places like Palm Beach and the other exclusive enclaves around Pittwater, and indeed in the Southern Highlands, are not "resort towns". The wealthy people who holiday there all own homes there (in that sense like the Hamptons). Some even commute from there, with a pied a terre in the city centre in case they work late or go to a show.

R9, many countries are besotted by Home and Away, which has been running for 20 years or so, and which is famously shot at Palm Beach. One of the reasons it's popular in places like the UK is the gorgeous scenery, with big blue skies, blue seas and sunshine everywhere you look. So millions of people have heard of that place, just not you.

Australians are, per capita, the world's greatest overseas travellers, so yes, the wealthy take their kids to Europe for their "gap" year, and they ski in Aspen or France instead of our admittedly paltry snowfields. They go on shopping expeditions to Singapore and Hong Kong and lie on the beach in the Maldives.

The not-wealthy (but not extremely poor) in Australia holiday in Bali or Fiji and backpack through Europe in their twenties. They also like spending a year touring Australia.

R25, if you think Adelaide is interesting you really should get out more. No Australian asked to name an interesting place would come up with that.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2020 2:59 PM

Adelaide was a nice provincial city. Melbourne was OK---locals have told me it's less interesting than Sydney but more livable,. Sydney really didn't seem all that interesting, at all, so I skipped it. My experience with Aussies is that some really are cosmopolitan from all that travel but many are like "Texans", seen a lot but also oblivious to it. When they come to the US they want to see a lot of junky places marketed to foreigners like Fisherman's Wharf and Hollywood or really stock destinations like Disney.

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2020 3:08 PM

Noooosa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote] There is a unpublicised enclave for rich people and their mansions in the Southern Highlands around Burradoo, Bong Bong and Bowral.

"Burradoo, Bong Bong and Bowral".... Are those name serious?!!

by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2020 4:12 PM

They're no stranger than a lot of names in North America that are Native American words, such as Lake Winnipesaukee (for non-US readers, once a very upper-class retreat in New Hampshire).

The repetition of a word in Australian Native languages works as an intensifier.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2020 10:54 PM

So it seems as if most of these areas are single-family homes and there are fewer hotels, etc., which would make sense given population, and as one poster pointed out, the relative lack of international presence. Were any of them founded around a curative or a retreat from urban epidemics?

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2020 3:52 PM

And of course you have the Gold Coast, which functions more as a middle-class resort area, like Pensacola used to be in Florida. Or Miami Beach, back before it got glammed up.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 3:54 PM

OP, if you mean a beach where all the jet setters go, that would be Noosa Main Beach near Brisbane.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 7:21 PM

R28, graysh!

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 7:40 PM

The Gold Coast seemed more "mid-market" than middle class.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2020 7:58 PM

Don’t the Australians super rich just lounge around on yachts when they want to go away? There seems to be a rich yacht life over there.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2020 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!