Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rate these singer-songwriter lyrics

I walked through the door with you, the air was cold But something 'bout it felt like home somehow and I Left my scarf there at your sister's house And you still got it in your drawer even now Oh, your sweet disposition and my wide-eyed gaze We're singing in the car, getting lost upstate Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place And I can picture it after all these days And I know it's long gone and That magic's not here no more And I might be okay But I'm not fine at all Oh, oh, oh

And southern men can grow gold Can grow purdy Blood can be purdy Like a delicate man

Copper to steel to a hinge that is faltered That let's you in let's you in let's you in

Something's just keeping you numb

You told me last night You were a sun now with your very own devoted satellite

Happy for you And I am sure that I hate you Two suns too many Too many able fires

And if I'm wasting all your time this time I think you never learned to take And if I'm hanging on to your shade I guess I'm way beyond the pale

On the back of a cartoon coaster In the blue TV screen light I drew a map of Canada Oh, Canada With your face sketched on it twice

Oh, you are in my blood like holy wine You taste so bitter And so sweet, oh I could drink a case of you darling, and I would Still be on my feet Oh, I would still be on my feet

Oh, I am a lonely painter I live in a box of paints I'm frightened by the devil And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid

I remember that time you told me, you said "Love is touching souls" Surely you touched mine, 'cause Part of you pours out of me In these lines from time to time

Godamn, man child You fucked me so good that I almost said, "I love you" You're fun and you're wild But you don't know the half of the shit that you put me through Your poetry's bad and you blame the news But I can't change that, and I can't change your mood Ah ah 'Cause you're just a man It's just what you do Your head in your hands As you color me blue Yeah, you're just a man All through and through Your head in your hands As you color me blue Blue, blue, blue

My cheeks were reflecting the longest wavelength My fan was folded up and grazing my forehead And I kept touching my neck to guide your eye to where I wanted you to kiss me when we find some time alone

My scars were reflecting the mist in your headlight I look like a neon zebra shaking rain off of stripe And the rivulets had you riveted to the places that I wanted you to kiss me when we find some time alone

And then we can do anything we want

It doesn't hurt me Do you want to feel how it feels? Do you want to know, know that it doesn't hurt me? Do you want to hear about the deal that I'm making? You, it's you and me

And if I only could I'd make a deal with God And I'd get him to swap our places Be running up that road Be running up that hill Be running up that building

See if I only could, oh You don't want to hurt me But see how deep the bullet lies Unaware I'm tearing you asunder Ooh, there is thunder in our hearts

Is there so much hate for the ones we love? Tell me, we both matter, don't we? You, it's you and me It's you and me, won't be unhappy

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2020 10:39 PM

They’re all godawful. If you wrote then, OZo, please don’t quit your day job.

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2020 1:16 PM

LOL R1 they are all written by acclaimed singer-songwriters.

I copied and pasted some from sites and published before realizing there are a few typos ("That let's you in" vs. "that lets you in") but otherwise...these are all lyrics from some of the most celebrated singer-songwriters in popular music.

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2020 1:21 PM

#6 is the only set of great lyrics, set to exciting music.

LET'S EXCHANGE THE EXPERIENCE! OOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2020 1:24 PM

Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Fiona Apple, Taylor Swift, Tori Amos and Lana Del Rey are the authors of the lyrics at the OP, FYI.

by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2020 1:26 PM

Of course, it's the Tori Amos Troll.

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2020 1:28 PM

I recognized number 3 immediately as Joni Mitchell's A Case Of You. The others are not familiar, and are mostly bad as far as lyrics go.

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2020 1:28 PM

I don't listen to any of these artists, OP, no matter how much you and your lonely friends like them. The only one I found interesting was #3, A Case Of You by Joni Mitchell. This is consistent with my actual taste in singer-songwriters. All these songs sound a lot like white people's problems (except perhaps the only one Iiked). Placebo, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple... This is all very one-note, OP.

Posting this thread just to bore us out... You have too much free time on your hands, OP. Have you ever thought about volunteering at the shelter?

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2020 1:34 PM

You're wrong, R6.

#6 is fantastic and the best of the bunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2020 1:34 PM

1)3 2)2 3)6 4)5 5)1 6)4

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2020 1:41 PM

Taylor Swift's "All Too Well," which was celebrated in several reviews as the standout track of her album "Red," and this lyric was noted by several reviewers as outstanding:

"'Cause there we are again in the middle of the night We dance around the kitchen in the refrigerator light Down the stairs, I was there, I remember it all too well, yeah"

...and I've never understood why she is nearly universally acclaimed for her lyrics, so I was wondering what others think about them as compared with other songwriters who are generally accepted as very talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2020 1:41 PM

The Fiona Apple song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2020 1:47 PM

The Kate Bush song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2020 1:48 PM

The Tori Amos song (abridged for TV)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2020 1:49 PM

Who gives a shit about Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2020 1:49 PM

Who gives a shit about Tori Amos?

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2020 1:49 PM

[quote] LOL [R1] they are all written by acclaimed singer-songwriters.

Seriously? Well, they are still fucking terrible, sorry. Okay, maybe on a second look, the Joni Mitchell lyrics are fairly interesting, but also a testament to how you need the singer in singer-songwriter to make some lyrics work.

Song #2 is particularly execrable. Song #6 I recognize as a Kate Bush song now that someone mentioned her, but not one I ever particularly liked, and again, it needs to be performed to not sound thoroughly silly.

by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2020 1:49 PM

They are all laughably bad. The Kate Bush song is mostly about the unique melody anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2020 1:50 PM

The Lana Del Rey song...almost everyone on DL seems to think she's the greatest thing since Betty White and I don't quite get it.

But she's fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2020 1:50 PM

R14 She's no worse lyricswise than the others OP posted, though. What we can take away from this thread is that Joni Mitchell is the only decent lyricist out of this bunch. Maybe we knew this already?

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2020 1:52 PM

Many songs can sound great even though the lyrics are not that great. A song is not a poem.

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2020 1:55 PM

And finally Joni, who we all agree is a genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2020 1:56 PM

"Good songwriter" is subjective. Tori Amos is my favorite musical artist and her songs certainly are not for everyone. Her lyrics can be impenetrably enigmatic and sometimes also cloying, but I won't accept that she's not an incredibly talented lyricist.

On my way up north

Up on the Ventura

I pulled back the hood

And I was talking to you

And I knew then it would be

A life long thing

But I didn't know that we

We could break a silver lining

And I'm so sad

Like a good book

I can't put this day back

A sorta fairytale with you

Things you said that day

Up on the 101

The girl come had undone

I tried to downplay it

With a bet about us

You said that you'd take it

As long as I could

I could not erase it

And I'm so sad

Like a good book

And I ride alongside you then

And I rode alongside you then

And I rode along side 'till you lost me there in the open road

And I rode along side till the honey spread itself so thin

For me to break your bread

For me to take your word

I had to steal it

And I'm so sad

Like a good book

I could pick back up whenever I feel

Down New Mexico way

Something about the open road

I knew that he was looking for some Indian blood and

Find a little in you find a little in me

we may be on this road but

We're just impostors in this country you know

So we go along and we said we'd fake it

Feel better with Oliver Stone

Till I almost smacked him seemed right that night and

I don't know what takes hold

Out there in the desert cold

These guys think they must

Try and just get over on us

And I'm so sad

Like a good book

And I was ridin' by

Ridin' along side

For a while till you lost me

And I was ridin' by

Ridin' along till you lost me

'Till you lost Me in The rear view

You lost me I said

Way up North I took my day

All in all was a pretty nice day and

I put the hood right back where

You could taste heaven perfectly

Feel out the summer breeze

Didn't know when we'd be back and I

I don't, didn't think

We'd end up like

Like this

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2020 1:59 PM

R22 Those lyrics are a pile of shit. Go read/listen to some Simon & Garfunkel, Laura Nyro or Andy Partridge.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2020 2:02 PM

Donald? Is that YOU!?

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2020 2:03 PM

Number 1.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2020 2:04 PM

[quote] Her lyrics can be impenetrably enigmatic

Only if your definition of "impenetrably enigmatic" = "total shit"

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2020 2:18 PM

I love a well-written lyric, but unless a song is really dumb, subpar lyrics won't ruin it for me. Especially when it comes to pop music. It's all about intent and feeling while trying to fit words to a beat and melody. The best lyricist in the world will not save a shitty tune.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2020 2:47 PM

Lyric writing has reached its nadir.

The situation is bad when the lyricists writes sensible verses in the English language but the singer feels compelled to add 'oo-oo-ar-ar-aargh-ha-aah' in their own made-up language between the verses.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2020 8:56 AM

Current singers are taught to ignore diction.

I can only understand about six words from this amateur singer. But even millionaire singers are equally as bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 10:52 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 27, 2020 8:22 PM

They are no Leonard Cohen

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2020 8:34 PM

Jason Isbell, “Live Oak”

There's a man who walks beside me he is who I used to be And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me And I wonder who she's pining for on nights I'm not around Could it be the man who did the things I'm living down

I was rougher than the timber shipping out of Fond du Lac When I headed south at seventeen, the sheriff on my back I'd never held a lover in my arms or in my gaze So I found another victim every couple days But the night I fell in love with her, I made my weakness known To the fighters and the farmers digging dusty fields alone The jealous innuendos of the lonely-hearted men Let me know what kind of country I was sleeping in Well you couldn't stay a loner on the plains before the war When my neighbors took to slightin' me, I had to ask what for Rumors of my wickedness had reached our little town Soon she'd heard about the boys I used to hang around We'd robbed a great-lakes freighter, killed a couple men aboard When I told her, her eyes flickered like the sharp steel of a sword All the things that she'd suspected, I'd expected her to fear Was the truth that drew her to me when I landed here

There's a man who walks beside me he is who I used to be And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me And I wonder who she's pining for on nights I'm not around Could it be the man who did the things I'm living down

Well I carved her cross from live oak and her box from short-leaf pine And buried her so deep, she'd touch the water table line And picked up what I needed and I headed south again To myself, I wondered, “Would I ever find another friend”

There's a man who walks beside her, he is who I used to be And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2020 8:40 PM

Try that again.

There's a man who walks beside me he is who I used to be

And I wonder if she sees him and confuses him with me

And I wonder who she's pining for on nights I'm not around

Could it be the man who did the things I'm living down

I was rougher than the timber shipping out of Fond du Lac

When I headed south at seventeen, the sheriff on my back

I'd never held a lover in my arms or in my gaze

So I found another victim every couple days

But the night I fell in love with her, I made my weakness known

To the fighters and the farmers digging dusty fields alone

The jealous innuendos of the lonely-hearted men

Let me know what kind of country I was sleeping in

Well you couldn't stay a loner on the plains before the war

When my neighbors took to slightin' me, I had to ask what for

Rumors of my wickedness had reached our little town

Soon she'd heard about the boys I used to hang around

We'd robbed a great-lakes freighter, killed a couple men aboard

When I told her, her eyes flickered like the sharp steel of a sword

All the things that she'd suspected, I'd expected her to fear

Was the truth that drew her to me when I landed here

There's a man who walks beside me he is who I used to be

And I wonder who she's pining for on nights I'm not around

Could it be the man who did the things I'm living down

Well I carved her cross from live oak and her box from short-leaf pine

And buried her so deep, she'd touch the water table line

And picked up what I needed and I headed south again

To myself, I wondered, “Would I ever find another friend”

There's a man who walks beside her, he is who I used to be

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2020 8:42 PM

TLDR but like #1. As far as I got.

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2020 8:52 PM

Kate Bush @no6:

[quote] Unaware I'm tearing you asunder

...quickly became a Mondegreen/mis-heard lyric:

[quote] Underwear, I'm tearing you asunder

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2020 9:13 PM

This thread reminds me -- hilariously! -- of "journaling" in high school.

When I was a junior, my English teacher required us to "journal" at home 2-3x/week. (private school, she could do that). It could be about anything -- mundane daily events, our deepest thoughts/concerns, write a poem, whatever. She was not going to *read* our journals....just flip through them occasionally (in our presence) to see that we were writing something. It was about the exercise of writing.

Some classmates stayed on top of it, journaling regularly, but usually when she announced: "Please bring your journals on Friday", there was a mad scramble by 50% of the class to fill their journal pages....using different colored pens, so it didn't look like the entries were written on the same day.

I was one of those students, and found that copying SONG LYRICS was a really easy way to fill up a page! I would start an entry in a personal way, for sentence or two, and then it was just song lyrics. A lot of Duran Duran, LOL. That's what I was into & they printed song lyrics on the album sleeves. Also.... I was pretty sure my English teacher didn't know who the fuck Duran Duran was. (picture Dorothy Michaels)

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2020 10:01 PM

I love Doughnut Song by Tori Amos (#2 on the list). Boys for Pele was the soundtrack of my life at 17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2020 10:23 PM

Oops, forgot to add my contribution to the thread was another 90s singer-songwriter, Ani Difranco, who was tops at clever wordplay.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2020 10:25 PM

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2020 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!