Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you prank call people when you were a kid?

A couple of us would prank a mean old lady who lived in the neighborhood. She would blow a whistle, threaten to call the cops, cuss up a storm and tell us to quit calling her "household" and threaten to kill us "kiddies". Three way tricks were great if you timed them right, 3 people on the phone all had to have three way calling and two would call a different person at the same time. If they managed to get into a fight over who called who, we considered the call a success.

This old lady fights with herself, John Wayne, Dr. Phil and Richard Simmons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 9:43 PM

My cousin used to have his buds call his mom and pretend to be the police or Highway Patrol, and tell her was under arrest or in a fatal accident.

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2020 1:34 AM

I do it everyday still.

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2020 1:44 AM

I'm evil. I used to call someone I hated at 3am, let it ring once and hang up. I kept it up for around 10 minutes and then just stopped. Did this numerous times.

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2020 1:48 AM

OP, thank you so much. I can’t stop listening to these. They’re great. Just when I think it’s getting old and not funny anymore, he’ll throw in a “my name is Cheryl and I’m your daughter” or a “are you bawb?” and it becomes hilarious all over again.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2020 1:40 AM

The term is CRANK call.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2020 1:46 AM

I used to prank call the lady who lived behind my house when I was a kid. From my parents' bedroom, I could see into her backyard and patio. In the summer, she'd have her phone sitting on a table on her patio. I'd wait until she went inside, then I'd call her number. She'd come running out of the house to answer the phone, and I'd hang up just as she picked up the phone. I would do this to her relentlessly during the summer, watching her run in and out of the house for days on end.

It was a blast for my bored 12-year old self, but looking back on it now, I feel kind of bad for doing it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2020 1:47 AM

Is this the Cocksucker residence?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2020 1:55 AM

I’m April fools, a friend and I pranked for each other. I called his dad and told him I was from the cable company and due to high resistance ratings taken outside his residence we had determined that he had unauthorized drops in his house. (This was a while back). There will be an auditor at your residence in the morning. His dad ripped all the extra cable out that night.

That was the mild one.

He called my brother in law (sisters husband). They had just bought a boss new car at an auction for a good price. He posed as a state vehicle registration official or something like that. The car had an outstanding claim on it and needed to be brought to the dmv office the next morning or troopers would be serving him by the afternoon.

Found out later that he threw the phone into the wall, they got in a knock down drag out that ended up with the cops getting called. They filed for divorce shortly thereafter, which was a bonus. I never liked the bastard.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2020 2:01 AM

My husband used to call people named “Lipschitz” and would ask “Is this Mr. Lipschitz?” And they’d say “Yes” and then he’d say “Well, if you’re Lipschitz, my ass talks!” And then sometimes he’d make a fart noise into the phone.

My best friend and I used to call people from the bathroom and hold the mouthpiece near the toilet and flush. I don’t know why we thought it was so funny, but we’d be gasping for breath, laughing ourselves silly. Actually, I’m laughing, remembering. Pretty harmless.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2020 2:01 AM

Yes! All the time in middle school. We had one number we called for years and would say “I ate all the Frujen Gladje- and I’d do it again!” We called like 5 years later at home from college and said it and the guy put the phone down and called (I guess his wife?) over and was like “oh you’ll never believe who this is”

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2020 2:03 AM

^^ I was a teenager before I even knew that “Lipschitz” was a real name. We didn’t know many Jewish people. I had a Jewish friend who mentioned a friend named “Abby Lipschitz” and I thought it was a nasty nickname he made up for her.

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2020 2:04 AM

I love prank calls.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2020 2:06 AM

When I was a kid, there was a local "Dialing for Dollars" show. They would show a movie, and at certain breaks, the host would randomly call somebody's number, and if they knew the jackpot amount, they'd win the money.

I would watch the show and I would prank call random people at the time the host would be dialing the phone on TV. When the woman answered the phone (it was ALWAYS a woman back then), I would pretend to be the host. Most of them fell for it, and whatever they guessed as the jackpot, I would tell them they won. They would get all excited, and I would tell them the station would call them back for more details, then I'd hang up.

I wonder how many housewives kept waiting for their check to arrive.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2020 2:14 AM

I called my Aunt a few days before Thanksgiving and told her I was from the grocery store and because she was a valued customer she could come to the store and claim her free turkey. She actually argued so much that they gave her a free turkey.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2020 2:17 AM

Ha-ha. Old people are so stupid! Such fun!

Next, can we steal food from retarded children?

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2020 2:28 AM

I was a lonely gay boy in the 80s. I spent a lot of time at home alone. My only toy was the phone.

Prank calls, calls to radio stations, all of it.

I even called 1-800 numbers and asked crazy questions just to have someone to talk to .

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2020 2:29 AM

R15=the poster that blew the guy with Down’s syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2020 2:32 AM

We used to do extremely elaborate prank calls.

One weekend, my parents went out of town, so friends came to my house to spend the night. I noticed that the house next door had no lights on. It was an enormous house with a tennis court and large pool. And they always had lights on.

So I called an electrical and started crying, told them there was no power, I was alone in the house and was confined to a wheelchair upstairs. I was screaming and told them I was very frightened. I told them I would not be able to get down the stairs to let them. So they should go to the back of the house and break the glass.

After the electrician truck rolled up, we heard glass break. So we called the police and said, "Two men have just broken into the home at 8 Victoria Road."

The police showed up. We heard lots of yelling. We don't know what happened exactly, but the electrician truck was still there the next morning.

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2020 2:39 AM

Prank call Betty Bowers did to a massage parlor in Atlanta, pretending to be the wife of a man who went there:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2020 2:42 AM

All the time!

My sisters and I were normal generally unsupervised kids in the 70s. We busied ourselves regularly making "phoney phone calls"! We usually recorded them on a cassette recorder and played them back later for hours of fun!

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2020 2:42 AM

R15 I'm sorry life has left you so bitter.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2020 11:09 AM

Crank Yankers was a hilarious TV show back in the day. I think I read that it’s coming back.

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2020 11:16 AM

I wish I had access to these recorded "soundboards" when I was young doing goofy prank calls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2020 11:22 AM

As a young bored, horny gayling in my early teens, I would call some of the hot anchors and reporters of the local TV stations and ask them how big their dicks were. Most of them just hung up, some of them laughed, then hung up.

But there was one - a sports reporter (who later went on to have a small part as a newscaster in a major box office smash motion picture) - who immediately told me his was 8" long and uncut. I didn't know what "uncut" meant back then and asked him what that was. He laughed out loud and said he'd send me a picture if I'd give him my address. I immediately hung up.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2020 11:35 AM

Yes. Dialing random numbers we hit the jackpot. A dentist office with an amazing device: An “answering machine” that played an “outgoing message” then let you record a message. They heard from us a lot.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2020 11:55 AM

R23 reminds me that we did use a keyboard in some of our prank calls. You could record a short clip and play it back on the keyboard. If you played it back on a lower register key, the voice would be deep and slow. A higher register key, and it would be squeaky and fast. Like playing with the RPM on an old record player. That was good for pranks.

We also used a tape recorder to tape things off the TV, and played it back into the receiver.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2020 12:10 PM

A girl and I would call a number, she'd say "This is the Operator, please stay on the line for a call from Washington" Then pause "I'm sorry to keep you waiting." After a few seconds "Ready on your call to Washington." I said "Washington? He's been dead 200 years. " We'd wait for reaction, then hang up.

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2020 12:20 PM

Total heavy breathing for the hot guys

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2020 12:37 PM

Do heavy breathers just breathe heavily, or are they masturbating?

by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2020 12:47 PM

The Wanda Sykes crank call where she said someone had pooped in her car at a repair shop was absolutely hilarious

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2020 12:50 PM

We used to call Childline, a British child abuse service, and scream “DON’T HIT ME DADDY”. One elaborate scenario involved one of my friends pretending to barge into the room but we got a bit too involved and it took the door off its hinges. We got in so much trouble.

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2020 12:54 PM

We did something like r13 except not randomly, we had to be able to see the house. We'd say they won a pizza and tell them to grab the pizza, shout something like, "my pizza, loser," and slam the door. Then we'd order a pizza delivery to that house. A little later we'd ask for a few taxis to the same address. One time someone called the police to break up a fight on the front lawn.

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2020 1:06 PM

During breaks from play rehearsals in middle school, I called collect the American Embassy in Thailand from a payphone in the hallway, claiming I urgently needed to reach my mother. It was fun to hear all the operators talking to each other trying to connect the call.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2020 1:10 PM

1-800-MATTRESSES. They called me back and said they are having the police look into it. I told them I was calling from a mall payphone (which I was) and good luck with that. Then I went to Sam Goody and bought Like A Prayer.

by Anonymousreply 34July 30, 2020 1:12 PM

Teachers were the ultimate victims. But Ms Mooney was off limits. She was too easy and she was a nice old lady.

by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2020 1:13 PM

When I was in junior high, before my voice had changed, I prank called one of my older brother's hot jock friends and pretended to be a girl who had the hots for him. I got him to tell me how big his dick was.

I also asked him which guys he had seen in the gym showers and how big their dicks were. I was surprised at how many guys' dicks he could describe in pretty good detail.

by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2020 6:18 PM

Lol you were all twisted little fuckers weren't you?

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2020 3:09 AM

R21 I’m sorry you were weaned with your mother’s old snatch pads.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2020 9:34 PM

This ought to clear things up:

A crank call is another name for prank call, though some make a differentiation between the two by saying a crank call is the name for a prank call made by someone who should know better.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2020 9:38 PM

No, I had real life friends.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2020 9:42 PM

R6 You are incorrigible! I just about peed my pants from laughing so hard. Now I won't be able to get that picture out of my juvenile brain for the rest of the day! Thanks a lot. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2020 9:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!