Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Datalounge Bakers and Foodies

Looking for a recommendation for a good vanilla extract to put in my coffee.

Don't want it to be pre sweetened so I'm not interested in Carnation or other brands that come made in a milk alternative.

Just a good vanilla flavoring, I realize the good ones will be pricey.

TIA

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 9:10 PM

Wilton Clear Vanilla. It's fake and has a pronounced vanilla aroma. One or two drops will be plenty.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2020 7:58 PM

When asked for a food related recommendation I think to myself, what would Ina recommend? Here’s your answer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2020 8:19 PM

There's a difference between extract and flavoring. Just get pure vanilla extract, not imitation.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2020 8:21 PM

Add fresh ground vanilla bean to your coffee when you brew it. It's divine.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2020 8:22 PM

^^^ *fresh-ground

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2020 8:22 PM

Cooks Illustrated did a tasting and found that Baker's Imitation Vanilla was as good as the real thing, at least in baked goods. In coffee it might not be the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2020 8:37 PM

Not many vanilla-lovers in this thread, OP. Just get some vanilla you like and add it to your coffee a little at a time. You have the same choices everybody else does, grocery store or online. The vanilla industry has been in turmoil several years now, reducing supplies and quality while making prices sky-high.

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2020 3:38 AM

This has vanilla notes and would be a better addition to your coffee than vanilla extract.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2020 8:14 AM

It doesn't taste like bourbon, though, r8?

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2020 8:35 AM

Oh, my sides

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2020 8:41 AM

I used to put whole vanilla beans in the percolator when I perked coffee. It infused the coffee with the aroma and flavor.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2020 8:47 AM

R11 This sounds delicious but expensive. How much vanilla bean did you use in each brew? Did you reuse the beans?

by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Take a vanilla bean--you can use the bean after you've scraped the pulp out for something else if you want--and stick it in a receptacle with sugar. You can use the vanilla infused sugar to flavour your coffee. Much more economical and you'll retain more of the vanilla flavour that way.

by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2020 5:24 PM

One bean will be plenty for one and a half to two cups of sugar.

by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2020 5:26 PM

I have tried a few depending on what store I'm in and what brand they carry. None were that great. So I thought I'd ask those who bake or like vanilla flavor like I do.

Just to be clear r13 you are saying to add the pulp to the sugar and use the bean for something else correct?

Many thanks everyone.

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2020 5:27 PM

No, add the bean to the sugar, you can use the pulp for a recipe. It's a good way to use the leftover bean.

by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2020 5:37 PM

You have to let it sit for a while before you use it. Probably a week?

by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2020 5:37 PM

I put it in a jam jar with a screw-top lid.

by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2020 5:39 PM

R6 Yuck. Not this again. OP I like Ina's pick, Nielsen-Massey, but I've also bought genuine vanilla extract from Mexico that is almost as good, at roughly a quarter of the price. The Mexican brands usually come in much larger bottles.

Generally the Mexican varieties I've had lack the the floral notes that are present in others, yet they're still very good. Seems like perfect choice for your coffee.

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2020 5:47 PM

Thanks to this thread, I used some McCormack vanilla extract in my coffee this morning. It was quite tasty!

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2020 5:56 PM

That was the first one I bought and it was not good.

by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2020 5:58 PM

OP Try Watkins or Penzeys then if you don't want to spring for the Nielsen-Massey. If you ate going to use it e everday, and lots of it, perhaps make your own. Take some good rum or bourbon (or vodka) and infuse your own with either bean paste, or the whole bean.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2020 6:10 PM

Not being familiar with the actual bean about how much bean to ounces of booze?

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2020 5:33 PM

One bean pod is probably good for 750ml of alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2020 10:38 PM

I tried it, OP, putting a few drops of Penzey's vanilla in my coffee. I won't be doing it again. I like my coffee to taste like coffee, and now it tastes neither exactly like coffee nor much like vanilla. It's just...off.

If you must do this, the vanilla bean people might have the right idea.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2020 12:02 PM

r25 here. The vanilla extract-infused coffee tasted even worse as it cooled down. I threw it out about halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2020 12:35 PM

Ok, so this sounds pretentious but I'm going to admit it anyway.

It was pissing me off that every time i needed a new bottle of vanilla extract (i bake a lot), it was costing $10 to get a new little bottle. Then one day I saw Ina Garten pull out a giant mason jar and she said she uses vanilla beans and vodka to make her own, and the jar of beans would last forever.

So i went on ebay and bought vanilla beans, from madagascar. Took like 6 weeks to get here and cost about $80 for about 30 beans in a vacuum pack, but i put them in a mason jar, filled it with vodka (i think bourbon-based vanilla extract tastes like vanilla flavored bourbon) and have been using it ever since. Takes about 2 weeks of steeping to be ready as an ingredient. It turns black during that time and man alive, is it ever the best! When the jar gets down to about 1/2 full, i just add more vodka. It has MORE than paid for itself.

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2020 12:57 PM

Sorry, only read the first half of the posts. Didn't mean to be redundant!

R27.

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2020 12:58 PM

or you could add vanilla sugar...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2020 1:32 PM

I haven’t had much success with the vanilla bean in vodka. It’s not strong enough.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2020 2:07 PM

r29 someone up thread suggested I get some beans and add them to my sugar in a screw top jar. The beans will flavor the sugar.

I'm going to get beans and put them in sugar and I will buy a small bottle of vodka (pint?) and add beans to see which works best for coffee.

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2020 4:06 PM

Still voting for fake vanilla which has a more pronounced vanilla flavor and doesn't require grinding beans with sugar or soaking them for weeks in alcohol. I used to mix 1/3 Splenda liquid into 2/3 vanillin (Wilton brand clear vanilla), in a small dropper bottle. A few drops in my coffee and it tasted very vanilla and a little sweet. I thought it was even better in tea though.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2020 5:53 AM

You don't grind beans with sugar you just stick them in the jar whole.

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2020 9:05 AM

I've read that Costco vanilla is good and you get a good bit inexpensively.

by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2020 6:20 PM

R30. Not ONE vanilla bean. You put as many vanilla beans as you can fit, standing them up. THEN fill in with vodka. I promise you it is NOT too weak.

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2020 6:26 PM

Costco vanilla is as expensive as it is anywhere else these days, R34, about $1.50-$2.00/oz, due to international shortages caused by weather and war and vanilla bean poaching, and the sheer difficulty of growing vanilla. McCormick is trying to produce vanilla in greenhouses because they're sick of the unreliable market and quality. A bit more than a year ago, Costco stopped selling vanilla for awhile because they said they couldn't get a steady supply at reasonable cost. Then they sold fake vanilla for awhile, and now natural is back, but costs about $20 for a 12-oz bottle.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 5:00 PM

I was on walmart.com last night and noticed they were selling (well, it was a third-party seller) a gallon of vanilla extract for over $250.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 9:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!