Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brits Are Pissed At Pro-George Floyd Murals

They’re screaming that he was a criminal, he was a robber, held a gun at a pregnant woman, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 7, 2020 12:17 PM

did he hold a pregnant woman at gun point?

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2020 7:27 PM

Then they shouldn't be complaining when people want to take down statues of (white) people with questionable backgrounds. I mean if we're going to play that game.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2020 7:29 PM

The racism and antisemitism in Britain is off the charts right now.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2020 7:32 PM

R3, shall I quote the anti-Muslim shit from the current PM along with the rest of the Tories or do you want to pretend only blacks and Jews are being victimized?

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2020 7:33 PM

BTW, Britain as a whole is far worse than the US for all non-white/non-Christian groups. Don't let them make you think the US is worse. It isn't.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2020 7:35 PM

[Quote] They’re screaming that he was a criminal, he was a robber, held a gun at a pregnant woman, etc.

So are all the racist, Trump loving MAGA's on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2020 7:35 PM

All those things are true. George Floyd was a violent criminal who contributed little to society.

He is only a martyr in the minds of those who ignore the plethora of statistics that show disproportionate police brutality against black people in America is a myth, and even in spite of black males under 35 being responsible for half of all violent crime, that unarmed whites are more likely to be killed by police.

We can all acknowledge that his murder was a tragedy, but we have seen NO EVIDENCE that Chauvin was a racist or that this incident was brought about by racism—it’s simply a perpetuation of the lazy, tired, and sensationalist “blacks are oppressed” narrative that the MSM and Left LOVE to exploit, especially during an election year.

At this point, people aren’t protesting George Floyd anymore. I personally am sick of seeing his ugly mug.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2020 7:36 PM

OP, it’s the truth, deal .....

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2020 7:37 PM

R7: Thank you

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2020 7:39 PM

Here's the thing that needs to be understood if you have a functioning brain: You can't play Monday morning QB. In other words, none of you nor the cops knew anything about what he had done in his life when he was killed. Justifying his death based on what you know AFTER is the reason there are protests. That's the entire fucking point of our justice system, you phony Americans. Innocent until proven guilty. There are far too many example of people being killed in situations that never called for som much force.

How is it that you don't get it? You miss the entire point of why he is martyred.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2020 7:41 PM

examples of people being killed in situations that never called for so much force.*

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote]BTW, Britain as a whole is far worse than the US for all non-white/non-Christian groups. Don't let them make you think the US is worse. It isn't.

Total nonsense

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2020 7:41 PM

What anti-Muslim stuff has Boris Johnson said lately. Odd, given his grandfather was a Turk.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2020 7:43 PM

what he did to the pregnant woman was so disgusting and depraved, that is why I also have an issue of painting him as a saint. He was murdered by that cop, yes, but his time on this earth was not honorable for a good part of it.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2020 7:47 PM

Floyd was over the overdose limit for meth and Covid positive when he died committing a crime. He wasn't gonna live a long life.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2020 7:47 PM

R10 Your talking about a man with a long, long criminal history. He was a troublemaker and not an angel. As they say, past behavior is the best predictor for future behavior.....

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2020 7:49 PM

No it isn't, R12. An Obama couldn't happen over there. White Britons love Obama from afar. He'd never actually win.

R13, lately? So let me get this straight...you can pretend Corbyn is currently shoveling coal into ovens to burn alive Jewish people, but you dismiss the glaring anti-Muslim activities of the Tories that has been ignored for years? I'm not going to go back/forth with this, but anyone paying attention could see that many of the supposed attacks on Jews by Labour were based in Labour's stance on questioning Israel's human rights' records.

I can link to numerous blatantly bigoted comments by the Tories and others towards the mayor of London (including by the president of the United States) that you have chosen to ignore. You're either obtuse or just apathetic.

The only difference is the lack of media coverage one group has gotten. The BBC was OBSESSED with demonizing Corbyn and ignored the bigotry on the Tory side.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2020 7:51 PM

R10, no one who rejects BLM is justifying Floyd’s death. We’re simply pointing out the hypocrisy of an organization which claims to advocate for innocent black lives but has nothing to say of the 300+ black homicide victims so far this year in Chicago (many at the hands of black men). Apparently, black lives only matter when a white person takes them.

BLM is a faux social justice organization that looks to capitalize on racial division by propagating a false narrative. It’s fundamentally lazy, because it refuses to hold black people (particularly black men under 35) accountable. Young black men are responsible for most violent crime in this country (including the perpetrators of most black murder victims), NOT white police officers. BLM has created a false narrative that white police officers are hunting down black people at disproportionate rates to all other races, and it’s just not true.

It’s despicably dishonest actually, because BLM creates division, social instability, and indirectly, MORE anti-black racism. We never hear about the white victims of police brutality, nor do we hear a peep from BLM when a black cop kills a black perp, only a white cop/person and black victim. Anyone who supports this nonsense lacks critical thinking skills. Ya’ll are being played.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2020 7:54 PM

It really doesn’t matter what the man had done. They could easily have arrested him with minimal force. Not suffocating him to death on the street with people looking on. That is not ok. He could have been a mass murderer and still he shouldn’t have been murdered in the street the way he was. I accept that people have martyred him but his death was just the catalyst for the protests over all the unnecessary deaths that have occurred. Something needed to be done and hopefully now it will.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2020 7:54 PM

Oh, sob Boris has said nothing, R17.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote]Floyd was over the overdose limit for meth

Source?

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2020 7:57 PM

This happened in Detroit last week. A black guy killed three other black guys. This is far more dangerous to black males than a few cops getting heavy handed. Granted, cops gotta behave better but this shit is bonkers. This should be protested as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2020 7:59 PM

[quote] [R3], shall I quote the anti-Muslim shit from the current PM along with the rest of the Tories or do you want to pretend only blacks and Jews are being victimized?

And right on time, here comes the racist antisemite commenting.

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2020 7:59 PM

You can read the autopsy - he was high on 2 drugs.

They did try to arrest him with minimal force only for him to resist. He chose to resist arrest, just like he chose to do drugs and commit a crime and go outside while he had coronavirus. The guy killed himself with his shitty decisions. Better people die every day.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2020 8:00 PM

[quote] [R13], lately? So let me get this straight...you can pretend Corbyn is currently shoveling coal into ovens to burn alive Jewish people, but you dismiss the glaring anti-Muslim activities of the Tories that has been ignored for years? I'm not going to go back/forth with this, but anyone paying attention could see that many of the supposed attacks on Jews by Labour were based in Labour's stance on questioning Israel's human rights' records.

You truly are too stupid to live. You’re exactly the reason Labour will never be in power again.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote] I can link to numerous blatantly bigoted comments by the Tories and others towards the mayor of London (including by the president of the United States) that you have chosen to ignore. You're either obtuse or just apathetic.

Do you really want to go there... the same mayor that downplayed Islamic terrorist and has links to Islamic military groups?

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] I can link to numerous blatantly bigoted comments by the Tories and others towards the mayor of London (including by the president of the United States) that you have chosen to ignore. You're either obtuse or just apathetic.

Do you really want to go there... the same mayor that downplayed Islamic terrorist and has links to Islamic militant groups?

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2020 8:02 PM

British rapper Wylie calling for the murdering of Jews, Dua Lipa going on about “fake Jews”, the Labour Party promoting Jewish conspiracy theories. Fuck off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2020 8:04 PM

Fuck off racist piece of bootlicking shit r24

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2020 8:04 PM

[quote] I'm not going to go back/forth with this, but anyone paying attention could see that many of the supposed attacks on Jews by Labour were based in Labour's stance on questioning Israel's human rights' records.

No they were not and Labour and its comrades stay silent on the human tights abuses happening every day in the rest of Arab world. They blame it on white colonialism.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2020 8:06 PM

Oops.

Antisemitism in the UK Labour Party

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2020 8:07 PM

Brits have always hated Jews.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote] All those things are true. George Floyd was a violent criminal who contributed little to society. He is only a martyr in the minds of those who ignore the plethora of statistics that show disproportionate police brutality against black people in America is a myth, and even in spite of black males under 35 being responsible for half of all violent crime, that unarmed whites are more likely to be killed by police. We can all acknowledge that his murder was a tragedy, but we have seen NO EVIDENCE that Chauvin was a racist or that this incident was brought about by racism—it’s simply a perpetuation of the lazy, tired, and sensationalist “blacks are oppressed” narrative that the MSM and Left LOVE to exploit, especially during an election year. At this point, people aren’t protesting George Floyd anymore. I personally am sick of seeing his ugly mug.

Despite claims by right-wingers (both mainstream and overtly white supremacist) that violent crime by African-Americans is out of control — and that blacks are criminally victimizing whites at massive and disproportionate rates — the facts say otherwise. As I show in the below analysis:

* Only about 1 percent of African Americans — and no more than 2 percent of black males — will commit a violent crime in a given year;

* Even though there are more black-on-white interracial crimes than white-on-black interracial crimes, this fact is not evidence of anti-white racial targeting by black offenders. Rather, it is completely explained by two factors having nothing to do with anti-white bias: namely, the general differences in rates of criminal offending, and the rates at which whites and blacks encounter one another (and thus, have the opportunity to victimize one another). Once these two factors are “controlled for” in social science terms, the actual rates of black-on-white crime are lower than random chance would predict;

* No more than 0.7 percent (seven-tenths of one percent) of African Americans will commit a violent crime against a white person in a given year, and fewer than 0.3 (three-tenths of one percent) of whites will be victimized by a black person in a given year;

* Whites are 6 times as likely to be murdered by another white person as by a black person; and overall, the percentage of white Americans who will be murdered by a black offender in a given year is only 2/10,000ths of 1 percent (0.0002). This means that only 1 in every 500,000 white people will be murdered by a black person in a given year. Although the numbers of black-on-white homicides are higher than the reverse (447 to 218 in 2010), the 218 black victims of white murderers is actually a higher percentage of the black population interracially killed than the 447 white victims of black murderers as a percentage of the white population. In fact, any given black person is 2.75 times as likely to be murdered by a white person as any given white person is to be murdered by an African American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2020 8:07 PM

Lol jerk off into the junkie's golden casket r29.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2020 8:08 PM

R7 unfortunately you cannot voice those things without being labeled a racist nowadays.

thank you for your post.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2020 8:12 PM

Thank you, R33.

It makes not a bit of difference what George Floyd had done then or had done in the past. He did not deserve to be murdered.

And Black Millennial, we do know a lot about Derek Chauvin. Here's an article from a week ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2020 8:15 PM

Lather, rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2020 8:15 PM

But he was killed by a white, so he's a HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your're racist for even questioning his HERO STATUS.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2020 8:17 PM

R19 He was on drugs and probably displayed erratic behavior on that day....Like in a lot of instance in the past before. He wasn’t just normal or innocent man that go screwed over.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2020 8:18 PM

R33, when I referenced the disproportionate rates of black male violent offenses, I wasn’t referring to black on white crime specifically, I was referring to ALL crime. And the fact remains that young black males, who make up at most 3% of the population (of which I am a member) are wildly, embarrassingly over represented as perpetrators of murder, assault, battery, and violent crime in general.

I know people like you. You’re so bent on being “anti-racist” that you ignore real statistics and data when it doesn’t fit your narrative. But the truth is that things won’t get better for blacks as a whole until we can openly talk about and address these issues. It’s embarrassing for me as a black male seeing black people (along with whites) protest and scream and burn things down based on a handful of instances of allegedly-racist white cops killing unarmed blacks people while staying silent of the thousands of black-on-black murder victims in Chicago, Baltimore, St. Louis, et al. in 2020. It’s ridiculous, mindless, hypocrisy. Actually, it isn’t mindless—it’s premeditated hypocrisy meant to start a race war.

Easy to point the finger at “systemic racism”, “oppression”, and racist police, rather than address the true root cause of the overwhelming majority of black murder victims—black men under 35.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2020 8:22 PM

R36 Of course his past makes a difference because it tells you what kind of person he was (and that nothing to do with him being black)

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote] [R19] He was on drugs and probably displayed erratic behavior on that day....Like in a lot of instance in the past before. He wasn’t just normal or innocent man that go screwed over.

If only a video (that we’ve all seen) of the incident existed.

[quote] [R7] unfortunately you cannot voice those things without being labeled a racist nowadays thank you for your post.

Yes it’s extremely unfair that voicing a laundry list of white supremacist talking points results in you being labeled a racist. I know you long for the good ole days; when you could voice your white supremacist beliefs and not be labeled. You are truly a victim.

by Anonymousreply 42July 27, 2020 8:24 PM

I don't understand the radical gays here who defend Islam as if it has always been an ally to homosexuals around the world! The only countries that currently and actively execute gays and base it on a religious text are Islamic countries.

by Anonymousreply 43July 27, 2020 8:24 PM

too ugly for murals.

by Anonymousreply 44July 27, 2020 8:26 PM

R36, no one is saying George Floyd deserved to be murdered. But he shouldn't be hailed as some pillar of the community. Pointing a gun at a pregnant woman alone is beyond reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 45July 27, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote] If only a video (that we’ve all seen) of the incident existed.

Not all of the footage— including body cam— has been released. DA Ellison has not allowed it. You do know that, right?

by Anonymousreply 46July 27, 2020 8:29 PM

r42 you just proved my point.

r7/r40, thank you for your posts.

by Anonymousreply 47July 27, 2020 8:29 PM

R45 Exactly. Don’t SJWs love to shame and cancel people for the smallest wrongdoings of the past? In this case worshiping a criminal is woke?

by Anonymousreply 48July 27, 2020 8:35 PM

[quote] Easy to point the finger at “systemic racism”, “oppression”, and racist police, rather than address the true root cause of the overwhelming majority of black murder victims—black men under 35.

Easy = listing a bunch of white supremacist talking points and sign them Black Millennial.

Easy = shamelessly denying that systemic racism exist throughout the United States, including within the criminal justice system.

Easy = any other fantasies that you want to share here and and sign as Black Millennial.

Lies are easy and rampant. The truth is no easy to face, cope with or fix. In part due to idiots like you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 27, 2020 8:36 PM

R49 reductive and delusional

by Anonymousreply 50July 27, 2020 8:37 PM

R43, yeah I remember the self righteous fags on here screaming when Trump ordered the Suleimani air strike. I pointed out that Iran routinely throws guys suspected of being gay off buildings. Shitstain Suleimani would have gleefully watched his gay defenders get stoned to death in the name of Allah, so why would anyone here defend him?

by Anonymousreply 51July 27, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote] [R49] reductive and delusional

Yes that = the perfect description for your idiotic posts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 27, 2020 8:39 PM

Trump is losing in November. The entire GOP is getting DESTOYRED in less than 100 days. And there's NOTHING you racist pigfuckers can do about it. So cry, right wing bitches. You too, Millennial Oreo. CRY. HARDER.

by Anonymousreply 53July 27, 2020 8:41 PM

[quote] A black guy killed three other black guys. This is far more dangerous to black males than a few cops getting heavy handed. Granted, cops gotta behave better but this shit is bonkers

False comparison.

Unlike common criminals, cops and other agents of the state have the monopoly on legitimate use of force. That's what makes it even more egregious when they use this force in unjustifiable ways.

What makes the use of force legitimate is that they are supposed to be bound by the laws, rules and expectations for the use of force. They shouldn't be killing people like common criminals.

by Anonymousreply 54July 27, 2020 8:41 PM

The mouth, the nose... Surely this was painted by a racist privileged white person.

by Anonymousreply 55July 27, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote] A black guy killed three other black guys. This is far more dangerous to black males than a few cops getting heavy handed. Granted, cops gotta behave better but this shit is bonkers

White kids keep shooting & killing white kids in school. This is far more dangerous to kids than adults killing kids. This shit is bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 56July 27, 2020 8:45 PM

[quote] R7 unfortunately you cannot voice those things without being labeled a racist nowadays. thank you for your post.

[quote] r42 you just proved my point. r7/r40, thank you for [quote] Trump can totally still win this thing. 100 days is a lifetime in an election. I believe there are secret trump voters, lots of them.

Like everything else this is about the “victimization” felt by white supremacist Trump supporters. Longing for the days when they could freely use the “N” word and freely express their hatred for nonwhites.

Good Luck to you and all of your “silent” cohorts. Trumps first term gave us a pandemic, hundreds of thousands deaths and double digit unemployment. Hope you live to see the election.

by Anonymousreply 57July 27, 2020 8:49 PM

I don't think he deserved to die. Police shouldn't be killing anyone, they aren't there to mete out justice for crimes committed.

However he was a violent criminal and I don't get the raising him up as the pillar of the black community. This really isn't who little black boys should aspire to be. There are so many other black men killed by cops who would have been far better examples - not sure why this one was so national in nature other than boredom and restlessness with the lockdowns and it was a chance to get out on the streets and meet up with friends.

Black on black crime is a huge problem - but a different problem than police brutality or race related injustice.

by Anonymousreply 58July 27, 2020 8:50 PM

Amazing r53 thinks that it's anti-racist when it's the only one in this thread to use a racial slur. 'Antiracists' = pyromaniacs calling themselves firemen.

by Anonymousreply 59July 27, 2020 8:50 PM

R49, I pointed out how the narrative around disproportionate police brutality and murder of blacks by police is not supported by data, so what do you do, move to another subject—systemic anti-black racism.

I’m not going to sit and say that whites don’t have privileges. They do. But this is also a white majority country, and so you’d expect most wealth and power to be concentrated in the hands of the dominant race, who also is the race of people who colonized and founded the country.

I know it’s upsetting to you that not every black person plays into the perpetual victim hood that BLM and the Democrat party have invested so heavily in. But I refuse to subscribe it. My experience has been that most people, most white people are inherently good, not racist, and just trying to get by in life. I don’t find racism in EVERY SINGLE situation the way SJW’s? the Left, and the MSM always seem to.

And yes I’m voting for Biden because he’s the lesser of two evils, but the Leftist obsession with perpetuating black victim hood while REFUSING to ever acknowledge black-on-black violence has really done black people a disservice.

by Anonymousreply 60July 27, 2020 8:52 PM

It is true, an HIV positive, Covid positive, rapist does not deserve to die at the hands of the police, there are plenty in the community who take matters into their own hands.

The cop is a MURDERER, but it doesn't erase the bad things GF did in his life, nor the good things.

Another thing which is very disturbing, he did a porno with NO condom fucking a woman. If he was aware of the HIV at the time that is dispicable.

by Anonymousreply 61July 27, 2020 8:53 PM

R45, he's become the face of the movement. That is not the same as saying George Floyd is being hailed as a "pillar of the community."

He had served his time for the crimes he had committed. He was paroled in 2013, and thereafter appeared to turn his life around, becoming involved in ministry. He had a series of jobs since 2013, and within the last year, contracted Covid.

I, for one, do admire men and women who turn their lives around. I know quite a few who have become pillars of their community.

Those officers were responding to an incident involving a counterfeit $20 bill. Do we want the police to respond to such non-violent acts with such excessive show of force?

I'll start posting an article from the WSJ. I'll post it in replies here, because it's behind a pay wall. It gives a very good account of the lives of Floyd and Chauvin.

by Anonymousreply 62July 27, 2020 8:56 PM

“George Floyd's Life, And His Killer's --- They traveled separate paths before the death that sparked a turning point in civil rights” Levitz, Jennifer; Ailworth, Erin; Hobbs, Tawnell D. Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition; New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]22 June 2020: A.1.

George Floyd and Derek Chauvin grew up on opposite sides of the stark racial divide that cuts through America. Mr. Floyd graduated from a mostly black high school in Houston in 1993, part of a class that had seen so much turmoil that students adopted the slogan, "Only the strong survived." A year later, 1,185 miles away, Mr. Chauvin graduated from high school in Cottage Grove, Minn., a middle-class suburb where the population was almost entirely white. With time, Mr. Floyd, a star athlete at his high school, left college to help his family, then struggled with addiction. Eventually he took a Greyhound bus to Minnesota to try to turn his life around. Mr. Chauvin moved through life as someone who didn't especially stand out, people who knew him say, and much remains unknown about his life. In his 19 years with the Minneapolis police force, he drew some commendations, as well as complaints that he overreacted. The two men's paths collided on May 25, an encounter that has been seen around the world in a close-up video of Mr. Chauvin pressing his knee into Mr. Floyd's neck for around eight minutes. Mr. Floyd pleads for his life, calls out for his mother and says he can't breathe. His violent death has become an inflection point in the modern civil-rights movement, sparking anguished protests and calls to address police brutality and racial injustice. Mr. Chauvin and three other officers involved in the incident have been fired and face criminal charges, including a charge of second-degree murder for Mr. Chauvin. His lawyer declined to comment. The lives that Mr. Floyd and Mr. Chauvin led until that fatal moment offer a glimpse of issues involving race and policing that remain to be addressed.

by Anonymousreply 63July 27, 2020 8:57 PM

Cuney Homes George Perry Floyd was just Perry or Floyd or Big Floyd to friends. At 46 years old, he was around 6 feet 4 inches tall. He had his mother's nickname, Cissy, tattooed on his upper abdomen. At his elementary school, one of Mr. Floyd's teachers, Waynel Sexton, had her students study famous black Americans and asked them to write about what they wanted to be someday. Many picked football player or basketball player or cheerleader. On ruled paper, the young Mr. Floyd wrote in pencil: "When I grow up, I want to be a Supreme Court Judge." He lived in Cuney Homes, a public-housing complex in an impoverished area of Houston's Third Ward, a historically black neighborhood. Mr. Floyd's family, including several siblings who lived with him, shared beds, washed clothes in the sink and ate banana and mayonnaise sandwiches, Mr. Floyd's brother Philonise Floyd recalled at a memorial service. Their mother, Larcenia Jones Floyd, was a single mom who worked at a hamburger stand while taking college classes. Mr. Floyd became a well-liked basketball and football player at Jack Yates High School. "He was always the one who kept the mood real light," says his friend Jonathan Veal. St. Paul Park Derek Michael Chauvin, 44, was raised in St. Paul Park, a suburb of St. Paul. His parents divorced when he was 8, and classmates recall a quiet, skinny, dark-haired young man who didn't stand out. One recalls him being teased by more popular boys for being "different" -- sticking to himself and not being into sports. Mr. Chauvin attended Park High School in Cottage Grove. According to 1990 census data, the St. Paul suburb was 96.6% white and 1.2% black. Former students describe it as a typical suburban school. Mr. Chauvin's classmate Janille Stadt says they ate lunch with the same group of people. She described him as "gentle and not aggressive in any way," but somewhat awkward. She remembers inviting him on group plans, but he would say he couldn't go, and she got the impression he split time between his divorced parents. College "When we were growing up, there were two ways to get out of the ghetto: sports or drugs," says Vaughn Dickerson, a friend who grew up with Mr. Floyd. Mr. Floyd got a basketball scholarship at South Florida Community College, now South Florida State College, where he averaged 12 to 14 points a game. He left after two years. Mr. Dickerson says that Mr. Floyd worried about his family's financial struggles, and had trouble focusing on his studies. Mr. Floyd enrolled at Texas A&M University-Kingsville, and was happier to be closer to his family, Mr. Dickerson says. Law enforcement After graduating from high school in 1994, Mr. Chauvin began working as a prep cook at Tinucci's Restaurant, known for its prime-rib buffet. He earned a diploma in quantity food preparation from Dakota County Technical College. Then he switched focus, attending Inver Hills Community College from 1995 to 1999 as a law-enforcement major. He later transferred to Metropolitan State University and graduated with a bachelor's degree in law enforcement in May 2006. He also served in the Army Reserve as a military police officer from 1996 to 2004. His police personnel file notes his unit spent several months in Germany beginning in late 1999. Jerry Obieglo, a former supervisor there, remembers Mr. Chauvin as a thin young man who arrived on time, kept his uniform clean and took care of his equipment. Mr. Obieglo says others who were in Germany and knew Mr. Chauvin said he didn't drink and was always studying -- possibly for his police academy exam. They said he volunteered to be the designated driver when they went out.

by Anonymousreply 64July 27, 2020 8:58 PM

Texas Mr. Floyd attended Texas A&M in Kingsville until 1997. He left school in large part due to financial strains at home, says his friend Mr. Veal. In August 1997, when he was 23, police arrested him for dealing less than a gram of cocaine. He pleaded guilty to a felony, and was sentenced to 180 days in county jail. Burnell Jones, a defense lawyer who represented Mr. Floyd, says some young men in the inner city would try drugs to make themselves feel better. "You don't see many impoverished young men going to shrinks," he says. Mr. Floyd had jobs, including in security, but was incarcerated at least five times between 1999 and 2006: once for theft, twice for possession of less than a gram of cocaine, once for possession of more than a gram of the drug, and once for selling less than a gram. The arrests were part of an era of mass incarceration for low-level drug crimes that disproportionately hit African-Americans. One of Mr. Floyd's convictions, for a $10 drug sale in 2004, with a sentence of 10 months, is now in question. Houston's top prosecutor, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, says she believes the former narcotics officer who arrested Mr. Floyd likely lied. Her office has been reviewing thousands of cases involving that officer, who has pleaded not guilty. Mr. Floyd's criminal activity turned more serious in 2007, when he was among a group of men who allegedly forced their way into a Houston home looking for drugs and money. He pleaded guilty to aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and was sentenced to five years in a minimum-security prison. He was paroled after roughly four years, in 2013. Minneapolis Mr. Chauvin became a police officer at the Minneapolis Police Department in October 2001, at age 25. He would spend most of his career in the Third Precinct. A spokesman for the Minneapolis Police Department declined to comment, citing independent external investigations by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Mr. Chauvin received several medals from the department, as well as letters from citizens commending his work. He also was orally reprimanded for allegedly using a "demeaning tone" and "derogatory language," according to Communities United Against Police Brutality, a Minnesota nonprofit that created a database of complaints against officers in the state. His police personnel file shows 17 misconduct investigations. All but one were closed without discipline, with the one resulting in a letter of reprimand and notice of suspension. In that incident, in August 2007, a woman said officers pulled her from her car, frisked her, and placed her in a squad car for going 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. An investigation found Mr. Chauvin didn't need to remove the woman from her vehicle, had left a microphone he was supposed to be carrying in his squad car, and hadn't checked other recording equipment at the start of his shift. In 2010, Mr. Chauvin married Kellie Xiong, whose family had moved to the Midwest from Southeast Asia when she was a child, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "Under all that uniform, he's just a softie," Ms. Chauvin told the newspaper in 2018, when she was being profiled as a beauty-pageant contestant. Ms. Chauvin, who filed for divorce, declined to comment. Mr. Chauvin moonlighted regularly for more than 16 years as a security guard at El Nuevo Rodeo, a restaurant and bar about a block from the Third Precinct station. Club owner Maya Santamaria says Mr. Chauvin was excellent at administrative parts of the job, but she felt he often overreacted to dicey situations, especially on Urban Night, a night catering to the African-American community. She says that patrons complained about him on occasion, and that he would sometimes use chokeholds on unruly people. When she asked about his use of chokeholds, she says, "he always had justification that was police jargon."

by Anonymousreply 65July 27, 2020 9:00 PM

After Mr. Floyd got out of prison in 2013, "he had a different perspective," says Tiffany Cofield, then a Houston charter-school teacher who became friends with Mr. Floyd. That came in large part from the birth of his youngest daughter, Gianna, she says. Mr. Floyd began speaking out against gun violence, volunteered and mentored young people in the Third Ward, say church leaders and friends. A childhood friend told Mr. Floyd about Turning Point, a black-owned agency in Minneapolis that provides substance-abuse treatment. The friend had graduated from the program and "reached back to Floyd and asked if he could come to Turning Point and get his life together," says Woodrow Jefferson, Turning Point's community outreach manager. Mr. Floyd told his brother Terrence Floyd, 42, who lives in New York, "I gotta go, I've got to get my life right." After he graduated from the 90-day program, he got into a jobs program run by the YWCA St. Paul, says Ray Richardson, then a YWCA career-pathways coordinator. Mr. Richardson says Mr. Floyd excelled, but in 2018 uncharacteristically missed some training sessions. Mr. Floyd explained that he needed income, and had taken a job at night. He wanted to complete the training, but it would have to wait. Friends say Mr. Floyd was badly shaken by the death of his mother in 2018; he returned home to Texas for her funeral. It was during this time that the lives of Mr. Floyd and Mr. Chauvin brushed past one another: Mr. Floyd -- who worked security at Conga Latin Bistro -- also picked up shifts at El Nuevo Rodeo, where Mr. Chauvin worked off-duty. While the two men certainly overlapped shifts on occasion, Ms. Santamaria, the owner, says she's "pretty confident they didn't know who each other were." Mr. Chauvin did security work outside of the club; Mr. Floyd provided security in the club mostly on Tuesdays, the club's Urban Night. Mr. Floyd lived in a duplex in St. Louis Park with two roommates and kept his collection of sneakers lined up in his bedroom. He missed his young daughter, and talked to her often, says his friend Ms. Cofield. Earlier this year, Mr. Floyd dropped into Turning Point. "I'm still struggling," he told Mr. Jefferson. "Don't give up," Mr. Jefferson urged him. The pandemic compounded Mr. Floyd's struggles. With Conga closed to dine-in patrons, Mr. Floyd was looking for work. At some point, he was infected by the virus himself.

by Anonymousreply 66July 27, 2020 9:01 PM

May 25 At around 8 p.m. on Monday, May 25, he allegedly tried to pass a counterfeit $20 bill at Cup Foods, a small grocery store. The store clerk who called police said Mr. Floyd was "awfully drunk" and sitting outside in his car, according to the 911 call transcript. Officials would later determine he had traces of fentanyl and methamphetamines in his system. At 8:08, Minneapolis police officers Thomas Lane and J.A. Kueng arrived with their body cameras recording the interaction, according to a criminal complaint filed by state prosecutors against Mr. Chauvin. Mr. Floyd was in the driver's seat, while another man was in the passenger's seat and a woman was in the back seat. As Officers Kueng and Lane walked Mr. Floyd to their cruiser, he stiffened and fell to the ground. He told officers he was not resisting, but he did not want to get in the back seat and was claustrophobic, according to the complaint. Mr. Chauvin and another police officer, Tou Thao, arrived in a separate squad car. As the officers tried to force Mr. Floyd into the back seat, Mr. Floyd repeatedly said that he couldn't breathe, the complaint says. Mr. Chauvin then pulled Mr. Floyd from the squad car, and Mr. Floyd, still handcuffed, fell to the ground facedown. Mr. Kueng held Mr. Floyd's back, Mr. Lane held his legs, and Mr. Chauvin placed his left knee on Mr. Floyd's neck. "I can't breathe," Mr. Floyd said multiple times, and also repeatedly said, "Mama" and "please," according to the charging document and video widely shared on social media. "Please, please, please, I can't breathe. Please, man," Mr. Floyd said, and "I'm about to die." Bystanders urged the officers to stop and help him. Mr. Lane twice suggested turning Mr. Floyd over, says Mr. Lane's lawyer, Earl Gray. Mr. Lane had been on the force for only four days, and was relying on Mr. Chauvin, a field training officer, "to know what was going on," the lawyer says. Mr. Floyd stopped speaking and appeared to stop breathing, the complaint says. Mr. Kueng checked Mr. Floyd's right wrist for a pulse and said, "I couldn't find one." Messrs. Lane, Kueng and Thao have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder. A lawyer for Mr. Kueng declined comment. A lawyer for Mr. Thao didn't return a request for comment. Terrence Floyd saw the video of his brother on his phone while walking down the street in New York. He traveled to Minneapolis, where he sat by the mural of his brother. He recalls how his brother used to say "I'm for ya" to his relatives, his version of saying, "You're not alone."

by Anonymousreply 67July 27, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote] However he was a violent criminal and I don't get the raising him up as the pillar of the black community. This really isn't who little black boys should aspire to be.

1. The fact that you believe that black people are this idiotic and misguided speaks volumes.

2. No one aspires to be senselessly murdered by the police. No one is teaching their children to “aspire” to such. Your comments are beyond clueless and idiotic.

[quote] There are so many other black men killed by cops who would have been far better examples - not sure why this one was so national in nature other than boredom and restlessness with the lockdowns and it was a chance to get out on the streets and meet up with friends.

Floyd made some mistakes and moved on with his life. (Unlike our current president and his administration). Which is the ideal outcome. However that is neither here nor there. No one deserves to be murdered by the police in the manner that he was. The moment was captured on film. We can all see him subdued and murdered for no reason at all.

[quote]!Black on black crime is a huge problem - but a different problem than police brutality or race related injustice.

White on white crime is a bigger problem that claims exponentially more victims, including the current administration occupying the White House.

by Anonymousreply 68July 27, 2020 9:03 PM

R61 Wow, I had no ideas Floyd had been in such deep shit. I mean, who would want to have anything to do with such a person except other criminals? Of course he did not deserve to die for this, but painting his face on walls as a hero is just wrong. His past is super shameful, he should not be a role model for young kids at all.

by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2020 9:06 PM

R62 You drunk the kool aid. When he was arrested, he had illegal drugs on him and in his system. His front seat passenger had warrants for multiple violent felonies and gave officers a fake name before taking off across the country to avoid arrest. Does that really sound like someone who had turned his life around? Just because he hadn't been arrested in a few years, doesn't mean he wasn't still involved in illegal activities.

He wasn't being arrested over a counterfeit bill at all. If you listen to the 911 call and watch the videos, you would know this. The focus of the 911 call and the info given to police was that someone was drunk, not acting right, in the front seat of the car. When the officers arrive, they find an intoxicated man in the driver's seat of a car (this is a DUI in most places). Floyd was not cooperative with the arrest and they had to push and pull to get him into the cop car. We know the passenger gave a fake name - no idea if the same was true to Floyd. He also dropped a little white baggie along the wall when he was seated there by the cop. I don't think from the videos the possibly counterfeit bill ever even came into play.

Should he have been killed - no. Was this an innocent man living a new life who was profiled and arrested for no reason - no.

by Anonymousreply 70July 27, 2020 9:12 PM

R53 wow! Your description verges on the masturbatory. But you do what a lot of fake white progressives do as soon as a minority doesn't agree with you, you start hurling out racial slurs.

The self-deluded sense of self-righteousness it takes to square that circle in your head must be incredible indeed.

by Anonymousreply 71July 27, 2020 9:15 PM

R32 nope, wrong, try again, sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 27, 2020 9:18 PM

He seemed like someone struggling to get his life together. He had been in recovery and had a relapse. Whatever else is true it was illegal use of force on the part of the police and he didn't deserve to die that way.

by Anonymousreply 73July 27, 2020 9:23 PM

It’s clear most of the posters in here have never once actually been in Britain.

England especially is proudly secular and pays only lip service to Christianity. The first and second generation immigrant populations are well-respected and treated here, particularly those from the Colonies. Sure, there are problems in Ireland, but that’s all Catholic lunatics and the rest of the Island just ignore them. Vocal violent racism is something that both Government and big organisations are actively campaigning to stamp out, in ways the United States have not yet tried.

What the public object to is the recent mass migration of hostile zealous individuals who claim asylum under false pretences, refuse to assimilate, and attack the peaceful unbelievers already in residence.

by Anonymousreply 74July 27, 2020 9:23 PM

R70, I did not drink any KoolAid. From the article I posted:

[quote] Officials would later determine he had traces of fentanyl and methamphetamines in his system.

Nowhere do they mention warrants. And what "multiple violent felonies?"

Are you suggesting that a chokehold is an appropriate use of force on a drunken or drug-hazed individual?

by Anonymousreply 75July 27, 2020 9:26 PM

A man was senselessly murdered by the police. It rightfully sparked outrage and protests. George Floyd is both a cautionary tale (for black people) and also a symbol of police brutality and corruption, no more, no less. It’s not George Floyd or his picture that bothers people. The uprising and protest against white supremacy is what bothers them, the changing times, the inability to openly disparage nonwhites etc. Despite the fact that their lives for the most part not changed nor impacted by nonwhites, in any meaningful way.

by Anonymousreply 76July 27, 2020 9:32 PM

I read the actual autopsy report, read the police report, watched the available videos and listened to the 911 call. Why would I care about a biased article when I can look at the available evidence. You bought into the premise that this was a poor sweet innocent man just relaxing and going about his day who police interfered with for no apparent reason at all other than race and injustice. You are refuting actual evidence without even looking into it.

He happened to run into a power hungry, egotistical, violent cop who killed him. As I have said in each post, police are not judge, jury and executioner. There was no need them to be on him at all once he stopped resisting. And I don't even think Chauvin should have pulled him back out of the cruiser, even if he was kicking. It took 3 of them to get him in there. Cops should be trained to restrain without improper choke holds. His arrest was legitimate. His death was the result of police brutality.

by Anonymousreply 77July 27, 2020 9:36 PM

It'd be breathtaking if you had HALF as much compassion for the pregnant black woman whose belly he pointed a gun at. You can revere any scumbag you want but you're not entitled to have anyone else admire him with you. Bozo the methhead gets worldwide fame and she remains nameless, faceless beneath the 'kindness' of white saviours.

by Anonymousreply 78July 27, 2020 9:38 PM

A man was senselessly murdered by the police. It rightfully sparked outrage and protests. George Floyd is both a cautionary tale (for black people) and also a symbol of police brutality and corruption, no more, no less. It’s not George Floyd or his picture that bothers people. The uprising and protest against white supremacy is what bothers them, the changing times, the inability to openly disparage nonwhites etc. Despite the fact that their lives for the most part not changed nor impacted by nonwhites, in any meaningful way.

by Anonymousreply 79July 27, 2020 9:39 PM

I have often wondered how she feels seeing his face plastered on walls, parades in his honor, 3 massive funerals of people praising him.

He broke into her house with 5 others and held a gun to her belly threatening her life while this buddies ransacked the house. In some reports, they mention there was also a toddler there with her.

I actually think it is more the white SJWs making him out to be a hero more than black people.

by Anonymousreply 80July 27, 2020 9:41 PM

GF was murdered by a cop.

GF was a pretty bad character before he was murdered. People are able to understand both concepts.

by Anonymousreply 81July 27, 2020 9:43 PM

Breonna Taylor? yes. Philando Castile? Yes.

George Floyd? not so much.

by Anonymousreply 82July 27, 2020 9:54 PM

No one talks about Ahmaud Arbery anymore, either.

His name hasn't been mentioned here in weeks, if not months.

by Anonymousreply 83July 27, 2020 9:57 PM

R76 You made up some nice assumptions,lol. Your last passage is totally not true. E.g. Affirmative action, i.e. positive discrimination for blacks means negative discrimination for the others etc.

by Anonymousreply 84July 27, 2020 9:57 PM

R82: You are not the arbiter of who lives and dies. Do you understand that, little boy? Now shut your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 85July 27, 2020 9:58 PM

Really doesn't matter what George Floyd did. Cops aren't supposed to kill guilty people either.

by Anonymousreply 86July 27, 2020 10:00 PM

R86: But if we can character assassinate every black that's killed by the police, then we can kill BLM cause you need a perfect angel for the movement, then we can kill black people with abandon and never be held accountable.

Signed,

Every Piece of Shit On This Thread Attacking This Man For Not Being Perfect Or Screaming the Racist "black on black CRiMe" Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 87July 27, 2020 10:03 PM

Ahmaud Arbery is the case that should genuinely cause mass outrage, but it was overshadowed by the Floyd case. In the Arbery the assailants admit to using the N-word before shooting the unarmed jogger to death. The corrupt County DA refused to prosecute the two rednecks for months until the video went public. THAT is racial injustice, not some violent criminal career felon being choked out by a deranged cop whose actions we can never be certain were driven by racism.

Even then, to suggest that the Arbery case is anything more than a rare event, that mobs of racist white men are shooting dead blacks all across the US is patently dishonest, as most black men are killed by other black men.

by Anonymousreply 88July 27, 2020 10:04 PM

R87. One can think his murder was wrong without thinking he should be the face of BLM. BLM has been around for years, it didn't start with George. Perhaps Armaund or Philando would have been a more deserving face of BLM for murals and parades etc.

Epstein was likely murdered. Sure murder is wrong, regardless of someone's character but I don't want to see Epstein's face on murals or parades in his honor when talking about corruption and coverups in prisons. Or pick any bad character who was unfairly killed.

by Anonymousreply 89July 27, 2020 10:10 PM

I notice there is no mention of him putting a gun to a woman's stomach at R65 or just how many children he fathered. His past absolutely is being glossed over. From the article in the OP:

[quote]"He said: "This shameful racist graffiti is an insult to George Floyd and everything he stood for."

What did he stand for, other than petty crime?

Police brutality needs to be protested, and nothing that George Floyd did warranted his murder, but trying to make his death out to be some great loss for humanity, especially outside of the US, is just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 90July 27, 2020 10:10 PM

R90 I agree: He stood for a life full of crime and misconduct. His death was totally uncalled for but someone with such a lifestyle is highly unlikely to stay out of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 91July 27, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote]It'd be breathtaking if you had HALF as much compassion for the pregnant black woman whose belly he pointed a gun at.

The two incidents are entirely unrelated.

by Anonymousreply 92July 27, 2020 10:19 PM

It’s an American thing really

by Anonymousreply 93July 27, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote][R43], yeah I remember the self righteous fags on here screaming when Trump ordered the Suleimani air strike. I pointed out that Iran routinely throws guys suspected of being gay off buildings. Shitstain Suleimani would have gleefully watched his gay defenders get stoned to death in the name of Allah, so why would anyone here defend him?

Actually, that had more to do with Trump bombing a country. No one even trusts him as dog catcher. Furthermore, many Americans are leery about America intervening in the Arab world and getting into conflicts. We're still paying for the Iraq war disaster.

by Anonymousreply 94July 27, 2020 10:27 PM

R92 Everyone here agrees that the way he died was wrong, as were the crimes he committed before. Some of us just think the way the public tries to hail him as a martyr, ignoring his own crimes, is inappropriate. Knowing his crimes, I personally would not be that excessively emotional at his coffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 27, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]England especially is proudly secular and pays only lip service to Christianity. The first and second generation immigrant populations are well-respected and treated here

Sounds about white. Talk to any POC in Britain and they will be ready to rip your head off for spouting such rubbish. Brits are the most racist people on the face of the earth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 27, 2020 10:31 PM

^ {"statusCode":422,"error":"Unprocessable Entity","message":"Error: File Not Found"}

by Anonymousreply 97July 27, 2020 10:39 PM

[quote] It'd be breathtaking if you had HALF as much compassion for the pregnant black woman whose belly he pointed a gun at.

She is not black. The woman is Latino. She was in the house with her fiancé and their one year old daughter at the time of the home invasion. It’s never been confirmed she was pregnant but again, she had her baby daughter with her when Floyd and his crew forced their way into her home.

Her name is available through the released court records (Google them) but understandably she has not come forward or sought out the media. Imagine what she must be feeling, as mentioned upthread, to see the man who robbed her at gunpoint become some kind of hero and symbol.

by Anonymousreply 98July 27, 2020 11:03 PM

by Anonymousreply 99July 27, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote] She is not black. The woman is Latino.

So black Latinos are not black? What about white Latinos; what race are they? Latino is not a race.

by Anonymousreply 100July 27, 2020 11:21 PM

Doubt that R96 has ever visited Britain or spoken to a garden-variety British citizen. Clearly he is rather sheltered besides, and has neither encountered nor spoken to a true South African, or Russian, or Irishman, or a member of the Brahmin I.e., nationalities with a vehement unabashed entrenched racial intolerance.

It should go without saying that the BRF, Ofcom, UKIP, Piers Morgan & Katie Hopkins do not represent the sentiments of the entire British populace. Of course, it would be Americans who have trouble grasping the nuance of that and need it spelled out.

The feeling in the U.K. at the minute is an exhaustion with accommodating antisocial and abusive incomers, and with being scapegoated when larger and richer and more troublesome countries agitate with impunity. In fact, this entire thread smacks of deliberate instigation, at least to me.

Blanket condemnation, shrieking and finger-pointing ad hominem will get you nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 101July 27, 2020 11:29 PM

Stop being pedantic r100.

by Anonymousreply 102July 27, 2020 11:33 PM

Dear R101 those three traits you mention "Blanket condemnation, shrieking and finger-pointing ad hominem" are at the centre of Woke SJW Cancel Culture.

I get exhausted at it all on Twitter, Reddit and in a growing number of DL threads.

by Anonymousreply 103July 27, 2020 11:56 PM

"Black Millennial" .... sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 104July 27, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote]GF was murdered by a cop. GF was a pretty bad character before he was murdered. People are able to understand both concepts.

GF was murdered by a cop. GF was a pretty bad character before he was murdered. People are unable to understand both concepts.

Fixed it for ya.

by Anonymousreply 105July 28, 2020 12:14 AM

Don't forget his pron film. He had a really big dick

by Anonymousreply 106July 28, 2020 12:21 AM

Whatevs, R104. I Iove proving people assume black = perpetual victim wrong. Trust me, if there was evidence to support that totally innocent, non-criminal, non-violent black people were being gunned down at 1/10th the rate that black men kill other black people, I’d be out protesting with BLM screaming for justice.

But it isn’t the case at all. BLM is a fraud that corporations, public institutions, and consumer brands have all blindly lined up to support to show how woke and culturally aware they are. And now, you can FIRED, publicly shamed, and called a racist for simply stating that it’s a BS movement, while providing the data to back it up. Black people are being used as pawns in this sick, twisted game to further an agenda—which is to get Democrats elected.

I’m smart enough to see it for what it is, and refuse to stand for it.

by Anonymousreply 107July 28, 2020 12:30 AM

Since Yahoo! commentary has been turned off I've noticed an uptick in unhinged comments on DL.

by Anonymousreply 108July 28, 2020 1:11 AM

I’m biracial and British and have lived in America. The US is a thousand times more racist and backwards than the UK.

by Anonymousreply 109July 28, 2020 1:15 AM

US racism is rooted in UK racism after all.

by Anonymousreply 110July 28, 2020 1:18 AM

I don't know how you can say that, R110, when Wilberforce was almost a century ahead of slow-moving Republican Abe Lincoln.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 28, 2020 5:08 AM

[quote] All those things are true. George Floyd was a violent criminal who contributed little to society.

He HAD BEEN a violent criminal. When he was younger he did truly reprehensible things. But after years of violence, failure and incarceration, his life was turning a corner. Which is what we want to see criminals do, right?

We don’t want to encourage them when they turn over a new leaf by slowly strangling them to death on the pavement. I can’t believe anyone is seriously arguing that what was done to him was anything other than ghastly and sickening.

by Anonymousreply 112July 28, 2020 5:49 AM

But I have repeatedly stated that George’s murder was reprehensible, R112. No one deserves to be choked out and die like that, no matter their criminal past.

What I and others object to, is the knee jerk reaction by organizations looking to exploit this tragedy for their own benefit, namely the Democratic Party, BLM, and mainstream media outlets. They have propped up Mr. Floyd as a martyr and a representative of the non-existent epidemic of white cops hunting and killing black people.

by Anonymousreply 113July 28, 2020 6:09 AM

The beatification of George Floyd is a fucking pathetic joke. And makes the BLM movement seem embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 114July 28, 2020 6:13 AM

R111, so what? That is just one person.

by Anonymousreply 115July 28, 2020 6:57 AM

He is a martyr because he was lynched in the middle of the street in full view of traumatized citizens by a uniformed cop.

by Anonymousreply 116July 28, 2020 7:15 AM

R115 I don't think you know what the word 'martyr' means.

A martyr is someone who suffers adversity for their beliefs.

This person believed in the right to steal from innocent people using fake money.

by Anonymousreply 117July 28, 2020 8:06 AM

R108 What's Yahoo?

by Anonymousreply 118July 28, 2020 1:16 PM

Get a load of R102 and her 800 verbal SAT score.

by Anonymousreply 119July 28, 2020 1:44 PM

No one deserves to die that way but I can’t bring myself to see him as some kind of martyr. Cops are pigs and pick on anyone without money or power.

by Anonymousreply 120July 28, 2020 1:46 PM

R102 at every dinner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 28, 2020 1:47 PM

Yeah let's support deadbeat dads with a record.

by Anonymousreply 122July 28, 2020 2:05 PM

People are missing the point...but never mind.

by Anonymousreply 123July 28, 2020 2:09 PM

There were headlines calling him a Superhero and others a Gentle Giant. So many articles praising him. That is the problem.

And going 7 years between leaving prison and being arrested doesn't actually mean you have turned your life around. If he had turned his life around why was he intoxicated on illegal substances? Why did he have a baggie of drugs on his person? Why was he hanging out with other felons who had warrants for violent crimes?

by Anonymousreply 124July 28, 2020 3:05 PM

For once I agree with the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 125July 28, 2020 3:17 PM

Ok thread, now come up with excuses why Breonna Taylor was rightfully killed. Go.....

by Anonymousreply 126July 28, 2020 4:35 PM

R126 No one has said George Floyd was rightfully killed. You might want to read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 127July 28, 2020 4:55 PM

Straw man arguments by R126....

by Anonymousreply 128July 28, 2020 4:57 PM

Breonna Taylor was a very tragic case and she deserves justice. But the knee jerk reaction to label her murder as racially motivated or as evidence of larger systemic racist policing is disingenuous at best. I’m not ruling out that the race of Ms. Taylor and the race of her drug dealing ex-boyfriend may have been a factor, I’m simply stating that I disagree with the media’s implicit black murder victim, white cop murderer = racism. Let’s see the evidence of that hypothesis before jumping to that conclusion.

Because again, looking at facts, more unarmed white people were killed by cops in 2019 than unarmed blacks, but no one can name a single white victim. Why not? Because the media only cares about pushing racial division and inciting a race war through the narrative of black victim hood and oppression.

by Anonymousreply 129July 28, 2020 5:20 PM

R127: very good. No one out and out said it but we know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 130July 28, 2020 5:29 PM

R129: all you need to see is how many shots were fired at her laying in bed. And you need to post real statistics of white cops shooting unarmed white people cause that's just unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 131July 28, 2020 5:34 PM

Well its true. See for yourself in the link below.

When confronted with the fact that significantly more unarmed whites were shot and killed than blacks from 2017 through 2020, the next argument BLM makes is “blacks are only 13% of the population while whites are over 60%”.

Which is true but as I keep repeating black people (black young men specifically) are grossly represented as perpetrators of violent crime, so one would expect more police interaction between segments of the black community than the average white community or person for that matter would experience.

It’s also important to consider that police officers who police higher crime minority neighborhoods may have implicit biases and be more trigger happy, not because they are inherently racist, but because they face a much higher likelihood of death or injury in these neighborhoods.

I’d be willing to bet that if black communities had violent crime rates equal to those of white communities (MUCH lower), that not only would policing of these neighborhoods decrease, so would unarmed black deaths by police in general.

It’s easy to paint everything wrong with the black community solely the fault of white people and whites privilege but really it is the shitty culture that American blacks have adopted that is what holds us back the most.

African emigrants, like Nigerians and Ethiopians, who tend to be highly educated and moneyed DO NOT have these problems. It’s not anti-black racism that’s holding American black people behind, it’s a refusal and unwillingness to acknowledge and take responsibility for ones own actions, and assimilate the way Asians and many Hispanics have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 28, 2020 5:53 PM

This mother believes George was martyr and a saint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 28, 2020 11:16 PM

So r132: I go back to Breonna Taylor, an EMT working for her community, what's the excuse for her being shot multiple times?

by Anonymousreply 134July 28, 2020 11:27 PM

Don't argue with these racist shit stirrers. George Floyd was murdered by a racist cop like hundreds, thousands of black Americans have been since we've had police forces. Regardless of your ethnic origins, if you support BLM and are angered and saddened by police brutality inflicted upon people of color, gays, transpeople, the sexual assault of women by cops, you are most likely on the right side of history. And if you don't, you're entitled to your opinion. But you are misguided.

by Anonymousreply 135July 28, 2020 11:49 PM

What do you mean by "on the right side of history"?

Does that mean anything? How can you foretell the future and insist that it will be the same as the past?

by Anonymousreply 136July 29, 2020 12:06 AM

I have authority to speak on this issue, because I am a black male under 35. Disagreeing with the party line of BLM does not make one “racist”, it means that our intellect will not allow us to jump on the “all cops are racist assholes murdering innocent blacks in huge numbers” bandwagon even though there’s social pressure to do so.

And moreover, many black people do not share or relate to these experiences of police brutality. I have personally never been afraid of or anxious of police, because I’ve never had to be. I have driven nice cars and never had any problems with being racially profiled. I know many, many black people who have the same experiences.

Are we not black enough because we don’t claim to be perpetual victims, R135? I don’t know what you guys want, you’re fighting for “justice” for a problem that is no where near as prevalent as you insist, as the data shows. You suggest you care about police brutality against persons of color but say nothing of the black victims of black crime. You are a hypocrite and are misguided. I’m done with this thread, sick of repeating myself and won’t change people who refuse to acknowledge reality.

by Anonymousreply 137July 29, 2020 12:15 AM

R137 Bullshit, most likely you’re not black and if you are, you are pathetic and misguided. I feel sorry for you. You have to be one of the stupidest posters here. Do your cooning somewhere else. But most likely you’re a white alt right troll, leftover Santorum from Milo’s prolapsed anus. Go away.

by Anonymousreply 138July 29, 2020 12:25 AM

r135 But don't you know? George had a criminal record. A CRIMINAL! RECORD! That's completely justifies the police murdering him in broad daylight in the middle of the street in front of citizens on camera despite noone of them knowing any of this information about him and George not threatening their lives or the lives of bystanders.

by Anonymousreply 139July 29, 2020 12:25 AM

Do you have reading comprehension issues R139? No one on this thread has argued anything close that.

by Anonymousreply 140July 29, 2020 12:27 AM

Loving the sarcasm r139. Thank you!

R137 is a schizophrenic self hating biracial queen who started the “I want to be white” thread.

His self esteem is subterranean.

by Anonymousreply 141July 29, 2020 12:28 AM

Oh Christ, that was him? He was bragging in the thread about Joe Rogan moving to Texas that he was about to get some white dick, and that he gets it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 142July 29, 2020 12:31 AM

NO, George Floyd did not deserve getting killed.

The only problem is that in death, he has been elevated to near sainthood—he was a lovely person with many friends and he was getting his life turned around and he was a paragon of virtue. Which is total bullshit. He was a drug-abusing criminal who was doing something nefarious when he was murdered by the cop. THIS is what we're angry about—his sudden elevation to hero status.

This doesn't excuse the cop's actions AT ALL, but let's keep things in perspective. George Floyd was not a nice man by anyone's standards.

by Anonymousreply 143July 29, 2020 8:29 AM

Crimes can be committed against criminals. That's not the issue. The problem is that the black community seems to lionize victims instead of heroes. Where is the next MLK? Instead, they put George Floyd up as their icon? I mean, they can do what they want, but if they want other groups to take the seriously, they should stop focusing all the attention on the lowliest among them.

by Anonymousreply 144July 29, 2020 8:33 AM

No fucking way the UK is more racist than the US. Don't believe the hype!

by Anonymousreply 145July 29, 2020 8:37 AM

Even in Breonna Taylor's case, didn't the boyfriend start shooting at the cops? She's truly an innocent victim but it was not due to her race. If the cops had raided the wrong home and a white couple had been there and started shooting at them, the same thing would have happened.

There's also a ton of credibility lost in the BLM movement when one white cop shooting a black guy outweighs hundreds of black men shooting other black men, women, and children on the streets of every major city in the country. Black men are much more at danger of being killed by another black man than a cop.

Until the reality of this is addressed, the BLM movement will lack credibility.

by Anonymousreply 146July 29, 2020 8:41 AM

The people of Manchester want to go shopping in their town centre.

They don't want to be confronted with an angry portrait of an angry somnolent man from another country.

by Anonymousreply 147July 29, 2020 8:46 AM

I live in the UK and the notion that it’s more racist than the US is absurd. The US is regressive when it comes to a number of socio-political issues.

by Anonymousreply 148July 29, 2020 9:03 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 29, 2020 9:44 AM

Who the fuck cares?

What do any of you think you're accomplishing by trying to prove which country is "more racist" or not? Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 150July 29, 2020 9:46 AM

I love all the judgment of this guy's character. MEANWHILE, if he was a gay white man, and the media discovered he was HIV+, you old queens would turn into Karens defending him.

Who gives a shit what he's done in the past, he didn't deserve to die like an animal.

by Anonymousreply 151July 29, 2020 12:26 PM

Dylann Routh massacred nine African Americans...no one gunned him down. Who stepped on his neck? He deserves to die. Those white cops ordered Burger King for that slimy racist cocksucker. See the difference? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 152July 29, 2020 1:53 PM

A hologram light show tour in George's honor was just launched.

But Breonna and Ahmaud get nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 29, 2020 2:52 PM

That thing is hideous. Apropos.

by Anonymousreply 154July 29, 2020 2:59 PM

Of course, there are many more black people, in the last 10 years alone, who fell victim to wrongful brutality who need to be honored. But George Floyd was the tipping point.

White people finally snapped out of it and began to care about black lives on a much greater scale. And this has been going on for a while now, so it seems this is a lasting change. Hopefully. Hopefully this isn’t left behind and we actually have change and progress. It starts by rejecting the right wing this November, and any other politician who is exposed as not caring about black lives. Engel was rejected due to this, and it is a sign of what’s to come.

by Anonymousreply 155July 29, 2020 3:10 PM

R143: If that's what you're angry about, then you are a horrible person. ACCEPT IT. Or change. But understand the fact that good people, genuinely good people, do not care about the bullshit you're spouting. It says a lot about you and your priorities that you're "angry" that society isn't condemning him. Stop and think. You won't, of course, but try it anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 156July 29, 2020 3:20 PM

And powers that be are deathly afraid of nonwhites, lgbt and women finding common ground and uniting. They’ve always worked on keeping chaos and discord going on between them. Things are changing and they don’t like it one fucking bit.

by Anonymousreply 157July 29, 2020 3:20 PM

Funny that the linked article says nothing of Brits en masse, or even a small collective objecting. This very likely was the work of one individual, or a couple. The article also doesn't reference any "yelling" either.

More nonsense threads here aiming to make Brits look bad. Where are you all coming from? It's as if you're a recent infestation, a bit more dedicated than the average trollls.

by Anonymousreply 158July 29, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote]Dylann Routh

Who? The Superman guy?

by Anonymousreply 159July 29, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote] That is not ok.

*massive fucking eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 160July 29, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote] I go back to Breonna Taylor, an EMT working for her community, what's the excuse for her being shot multiple times?

You’ve got a squad of heavily armed police officers on edge because they’re about to break into what they believe is a drug den and the drug dealer is considered armed and dangerous (which is the only way to get a “no-knock” warrant). Even so, they announced themselves and burst through the door only to be shot at.

They’re going to shoot back.

While it was a complete and utter tragedy that shouldn’t have happened, it had nothing to do with her race or racism of the cops.

by Anonymousreply 161July 29, 2020 3:49 PM

R161

I can’t believe people are still making this stupid argument in 2020.

“Not about race”. Sure, Jan. Go fuck yourself, white supremacist sympathizing trash.

by Anonymousreply 162July 29, 2020 3:56 PM

Nothing triggers BLM morons like R162 more than the truth.

by Anonymousreply 163July 29, 2020 4:27 PM

It’s totally about race.

by Anonymousreply 164July 29, 2020 4:33 PM

What an ideologically bankrupt husk the UK is. Everything political, cultural and social trend there mirror's the US. The most cringe-inducing thing I ever heard was their rappers refering to their police as "the feds". Britain is not a federation.

by Anonymousreply 165July 29, 2020 4:37 PM

My God, is Candace Owens on this thread? I hear her voice all throughout it. She criticizes Black people a hell of a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 29, 2020 4:46 PM

R162/r164, you think the cops knew the race of the person shooting at them before they shot back?!

by Anonymousreply 167July 29, 2020 5:02 PM

R141, the fact that I am transracial (mixed (black/white) but feel white and wish my exterior appearance matched my inner persona has nothing to do with this thread.

You can call me self-hating, I don’t care. If you woke up black tomorrow and had to live your life as a black man, especially one who looked like Mr. Floyd, I doubt you’d be very happy about it either. Like I said, the black community, in its current condition, leaves little to be proud of, so why should I say I’m proud to be half black?

Made worse by blacks being the easy pawns in this now-fashionable culture of “faux outrage”, “wokeness”, and “white-people-are-all-racist-and-need-to-check-their-privilege” environment. All because of a few instances of black people being shot by cops, where ZERO proof of racism-as-a-motivating-factor has been provided. Clearly, black people are being used to further an agenda.

BLM won’t get my support until they show just as much outrage over the thousands of black-on-black murder victims as they do for the VERY RARE (despite what the despicable media and powers that be want you to believe) occurrence of white police officers murdering unarmed black men who are not posing a danger to others or the police officer.

And no, my self-esteem isn’t “subterranean”. If you met me, you wouldn’t be able to tell that I struggle with my race. I was fortunate enough to be born conventionally attractive, relatively smart, and come from the upper middle class. I’m more fortunate than most people, white or black and am thankful for that. But I also don’t think stating that the current state of black America is an embarrassment makes me, “self-hating”, just brave enough to state the truth.

by Anonymousreply 168July 29, 2020 5:07 PM

As I’ve stated up thread, the Breonna Taylor case is very sad and very tragic. The police officers didn’t announce themselves, and busted into the apartment. Her boyfriend fired at them thinking it was a robbery. It’s very sad this young, educated black woman lost her life.

But BLM has taken this tragic situation and used it to further their bogus agenda, even though no evidence has been provided that race was a factor in this shooting. Can the race angle ever be proven definitively? No.

What deserves scrutiny in this case is the methods by which the police entered the residence. There was clearly malfeasance there, and the police ARE responsible for Ms. Taylor’s murder. But trying to make the argument police shot a volley of bullets at Ms. Taylor and her boyfriend, after he fired at them (justifiably) JUST BECAUSE they are black lacks all credibility and zero evidence.

by Anonymousreply 169July 29, 2020 5:18 PM

R166 I think Candace only likes white cock, doesn’t she?

by Anonymousreply 170July 30, 2020 1:06 AM

Candace and I have a lot in common, actually. I had no idea who she is but it’s young blacks like she and I who can think critically and don’t buy into the racialized “woke” BS. It looks like she takes a lot of her for her views just like I do. Hopefully more young black people will wake up to the fact that we’re being exploited.

by Anonymousreply 171July 30, 2020 1:43 AM

Black Millennial, I feel so much for you. As a Gen X man who hid from his sexuality too long. I know that you are running from pain and shame and confusion. Aligning yourself with Candace Owens and your internal “whiteness” are going to be so painful once you finally clue in.

by Anonymousreply 172July 30, 2020 2:24 AM

What the hell is that supposed to mean, when I “finally clue in”. I’ve already accepted that I am seen as black. I don’t like it but I accept it. At least I’m fortunate that I’m seen as good looking. Being black AND ugly would be too much.

by Anonymousreply 173July 30, 2020 3:36 AM

Lol r173 a DL-worthy post!

by Anonymousreply 174July 30, 2020 5:00 AM

Well, it’s true R174. I am regularly referred to as “beautiful” and “very handsome” by random people. I never thought I was attractive but that many people agreeing must make it true. Whatever. At the end of the day, I’m still black so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 30, 2020 6:55 AM

See that's the problem R143. People are thinking about this ALL wrong and that just confounds me. NOBODY'S praising George Floyd for his moral character. Nobody's saying, "Floyd was a community activist who saved a burning building full of children." That is NOT why he's being honored.

Can someone help me understand this confusion (y'know...besides the obvious)?

by Anonymousreply 176July 30, 2020 10:13 AM

Wait. Is Black Millenial British or American? If he's a Brit he could be any number of people. Many internalize the self-hatred and try to breed out the blackness, usually by "marrying up" as soon as an opportunity presents itself. It is not uncommon there to find black people who only associate with white people. If he's American, then it's easier to narrow down. My bets on Candace Owens or Thomas Chatterton Williams, the "ex-black" columnist who lives in France with his French wife and white, blonde kids (he's very proud of that part) and engineered the Harper's Letter. A real piece of work who beat up his teenage girlfriend and blamed it on hip-hop. Look him up on Twitter, if you dare.

by Anonymousreply 177July 30, 2020 10:18 AM

I keep seeing those "I CAN'T BREATHE" stencils. You know who also can't breathe? INNOCENT PEOPLE DYING OF COVID, unlike this garbage human high on meth and committing crimes and holding guns at pregnant women's stomachs.

by Anonymousreply 178July 30, 2020 10:53 AM

R132/R137: you sound a lot like Coleman Hughes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 30, 2020 11:38 AM

Thomas Chatterton Williams will be a guest on Bill Maher tomorrow, along with Bari Weiss, Kerry Washington, and Jim Carrey.

by Anonymousreply 180July 30, 2020 11:43 AM

Elijah McClain has also been forgotten, and his murder was even more brutal the George Floyds.

Maybe because Elijah was gay and/or on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 181July 30, 2020 11:56 AM

R177 I'm not the Black Millennial, but I'm going to check out Thomas Chatterton Williams. From what I understand about him so far, he's challenging the notion of his having to be Black if he's, in fact, actually mixed. I think he's also challenging the notion of his white-appearing children being labeled as Black due to the "one-drop rule."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 30, 2020 12:11 PM

Oh, that's not it r182. This review of his book that was published last year is the best encapsulation of his work. But Twitter is where his ridiculousness got out of hand even though he's deleted some of his most comically controversial tweets.

And his children are white. They're blonde and blue-eyed. They'll be perceived as white by society. No one is questioning that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 30, 2020 1:58 PM

LMAO 😂 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184July 30, 2020 2:00 PM

R179 wow, hot guy, is he on OF?

by Anonymousreply 185July 30, 2020 3:46 PM

Whenever a black person starts spewing the same right-wing bile we get from Candace Owens, Terry Crews or Thomas Chatterton Williams, they suddenly gain a lot of alt-right and other racist types' support so they can be used to vocalize what the racists feel they can't without repercussions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 30, 2020 4:38 PM

I am not black nor right wing but I always get uncomfortable when people start to impose an expectation that everyone who shares a common characteristic must participate in group think and that unless you agree to think and opine in the way that others have determined is the right way, then you are 'wrong'. I think we actually make more progress when a range of experiences and opinions and thoughts are 'allowed' and people can hear multiple perspectives. When we try to shut down, bully, name call or 'cancel' any opinion other than the one accepted opinion, it tells me that opinion is actually not very strong. If you have a strong position you aren't scared of people having different opinions.

by Anonymousreply 187July 30, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote] Elijah McClain has also been forgotten, and his murder was even more brutal the George Floyds.

Elijah McClain's death breaks my heart. George Floyd's not so much. Floyd's death may have been illegal or avoidable but he wasn't the guy that was going to die peacefully in his bed at an old age and not before he inflicted more crap or violence on the world.

by Anonymousreply 188July 30, 2020 10:58 PM

R188: so once again you're saying George Floyd deserved to die?

by Anonymousreply 189July 30, 2020 11:46 PM

R189 Nobody deserves to die IMO but everybody has to die some day. This guy had bad health (HIV, COVID), an unstable social life, operated in shady environment and had a long list of committed crimes. Thus it was highly unlikely that he would live a long life and die in a peaceful way. He was the opposite of a nice, trustworthy, harmless and innocent man.

by Anonymousreply 190July 31, 2020 12:29 AM

Was he hiv+? I didn't read that anywhere online.

by Anonymousreply 191July 31, 2020 1:16 AM

R191. he was not HIV+ or it would have been mentioned in the autopsy report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 31, 2020 3:45 AM

R188 is the kind of person that values some lives over others. Exactly why BLM exists.

by Anonymousreply 193July 31, 2020 4:38 AM

The thing is, both sides are right. George Floyd was horrifically murmured in broad daylight. George Floyd was a pretty shady guy. In the days after Floyd’s murder, some activists got caught up in the emotion and assumed he was some kind of folk hero. The press played up a lot of it, reporting on the nice things his family and friends said in memorial. Pics of his kids, especially his young daughter. The emotional pilgrimage of his adult son to the place where he died. The media was probably afraid of disrupting the narrative, such was the emotion around his death. The weird thing is, his past didn’t have anything to do with his death, but it has something to do with how his memory should, or should not be used as a symbol of BLM.

by Anonymousreply 194July 31, 2020 5:03 AM

His HIV status wouldn't have been mentioned in a British autopsy. We suppress all manner of things.

by Anonymousreply 195July 31, 2020 5:35 AM

[quote] so once again you're saying George Floyd deserved to die?

In the real world there are levels of grief. The deaths of some people are a greater loss than the death of others. Please don't act like that is not the truth.

So, yea, R193, I certainly do value some lives over others. John Lewis was a valued human being in the world. George Floyd was not. Your pretense that all people are the same is a BS position and probably only used when convenient for argument's sake.

by Anonymousreply 196July 31, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote]I certainly do value some lives over others. John Lewis was a valued human being in the world. George Floyd was not. Your pretense that all people are the same is a BS position and probably only used when convenient for argument's sake.

Since we're being frank and dispensing with all pretence, r196. Surely you won't be too shy to admit you, consciously and subconsciously, value white lives more than black lives? It's just so much more tragic when a white person loses their life. Even more so if they happen to be blonde, right?

Seriously, you're beyond help and probably hated on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 197July 31, 2020 9:18 AM

OP - no one is screaming about anything. You link to the Daily Express, which is a notorious right wing rag. It’s interesting to see how much deflection there is from Americans about the sheer scale of racism and murder in the US.

by Anonymousreply 198July 31, 2020 9:35 AM

Per R58, how's about we split the difference and say that while Mr. Floyd absolutely DID NOT deserve to be killed, he didn't do himself any favors where his past behavior was concerned?

by Anonymousreply 199July 31, 2020 10:27 AM

r198 is an idiot. It's not from The Daily Express. It's from average Brits.

by Anonymousreply 200July 31, 2020 10:32 AM

[quote]But Twitter is where his ridiculousness got out of hand even though he's deleted some of his most comically controversial tweets.

Examples of said controversial tweets please.

by Anonymousreply 201July 31, 2020 10:37 AM

r201 Here's the deleted tweet after organising and publishing the Letter and whining about cancel culture. Twitter, of course, didn't let him off and he later tried to clarify that the guest "self-expelled". It was hilarious as it happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 31, 2020 11:06 AM

This Twitter thread sums up a bit of the attention he's been getting since the Letter. Meanwhile, his black colleagues from the NYT have been mocking him left and right and want nothing to do with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 31, 2020 11:10 AM

And here he is defending Amy Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 31, 2020 11:12 AM

[quote]R188 is the kind of person that values some lives over others.

Like it or not, some lives are more worthy than others. Do you really believe the death of someone like Hitler is as sad as the death of someone like John Lewis?

by Anonymousreply 205July 31, 2020 11:21 AM

[quote] Surely you won't be too shy to admit you, consciously and subconsciously, value white lives more than black lives? It's just so much more tragic when a white person loses their life. Even more so if they happen to be blonde, right?

[quote]Seriously, you're beyond help and probably hated on both sides.

Pot, meet kettle.

How the hell can you leap to that conclusion based on what he wrote?!

by Anonymousreply 206July 31, 2020 11:22 AM

R200 - the link is from the Daily Express. I’m an average Brit surrounded by average Brits in an average British town. No one is screaming about anything really. But continue trying to stir up shit where there is none. Not unlike the Daily Express. You complete and utter cunt.

by Anonymousreply 207July 31, 2020 11:42 AM

If said murals depicted George Floyd mainlining baked beans and lager and wearing Man U kit the British public would have no issues.

by Anonymousreply 208July 31, 2020 11:56 AM

Changing the topic of police brutality to “black on black crime” is about as racist as burning a cross on someone’s lawn. Of course DLers are tripping over themselves to W&W these troll posts.

by Anonymousreply 209July 31, 2020 12:23 PM

[quote]How the hell can you leap to that conclusion based on what he wrote?!

It's not a leap at all, r206. Check his posts at r137 and r173.

by Anonymousreply 210July 31, 2020 12:28 PM

These two paragraphs are a fairer, non-antagonistic, summation of TCW and his work:

[quote]The response to this provocative thesis—that race is a fiction that can be transcended—has been mixed. On the approving side are those skeptical of identity politics and all its persistent demands for recognition; in Williams, these critics have found a man inside the color line who has also rejected the primacy of race. Mark Lilla, the Columbia professor who has argued that “the age of identity liberalism must be brought to an end,” praised Williams’s book as a “stirring call to genuine liberation.” On the dismissive side are those scornful of the notion that Black Americans can have any say over whether they are Black or not, when Blackness is the identity that this country has violently thrust upon them. The critic Tobi Haslett, writing in Bookforum, accused Williams of trying to “leap through his little trapdoor in history” by downplaying both his personal advantages and all the ways that race and class and state power intersect to keep Black people at a disadvantage.

[quote]In the 10 months since the book came out, these debates have gained a new context, while Williams’s profile has expanded significantly. He has placed himself at the forefront of a campaign against “cancel culture,” spearheading a widely discussed open letter published in Harper’s condemning the rise of “illiberalism” and “censoriousness” on the left. He has been a ubiquitous presence on Twitter, a tireless engine at the heart of the culture wars that have raged across social media this pandemic summer. He now talks less about the distinctive personal experiences that form the backbone of Self-Portrait in Black and White and spends more time making the kinds of sweeping gestures and grand pronouncements that are perhaps more suitable to a national conversation about who can say what and what the consequences of speech should be. His professed belief in a neutral realm of ideas and debate, largely unconstrained by the claims of identity politics, has led him to see “ideological conformity,” “coercion,” and “dogma” in a season dominated by protests for equality.

Great review from an Asian writer with white kid(s). TCW presents himself as postracial and race as something that can be transcended with the flip of a switch. And then whines about cancel culture when called out for his ridiculousness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 31, 2020 12:38 PM

^ The whole review is a great read, btw.

by Anonymousreply 212July 31, 2020 12:39 PM

The tunnel vision on this thread is supernatural...proof that white privilege is a thing. How many white people who’ve gone postal in recent history have set off all kinds of red flags that were ignored until it was too late? Floyd was no saint, I admit but he didn’t deserve to be murdered. And today I find out that the racist cops that executed the young man in Ferguson aren’t being charged with murder-or anything. This is why we have BLM. I will support them until I breathe my last.

by Anonymousreply 213July 31, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote] Floyd was no saint, I admit but he didn’t deserve to be murdered.

Yet again, there isn’t a soul on this thread or any other that is arguing he deserved to be murdered.

by Anonymousreply 214July 31, 2020 3:28 PM

R213, please don’t take this as an overall criticism or argument, but the Obama Justice Department investigation (under Eric Holder) also declined to press charges. Must of the eyewitness accounts (including “hands up, don’t shoot”) were inconsistent and/or incompatible with the physical evidence. Darren Wilson was within the law, but had alternatives that would not have resulted in Michael Brown‘s death.

by Anonymousreply 215July 31, 2020 3:37 PM

The police should not be judge, jury, and executor. Anyone attacking the victims of such violence are deplorable. Our constitution clearly prohibits the police from acting in this manner. But we just let them get away with it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 216July 31, 2020 3:43 PM

[quote] "How the hell can you leap to that conclusion based on what he wrote?!" It's not a leap at all, [R206]. Check his posts at [R137] and [R173].

R210/R197/R193/R189, the only posts I wrote were R188 and R196.

Your muddled thinking is why we are in such a mess. You can't even navigate DL properly, navigating life must be a living hell for you.

Delete your account.

by Anonymousreply 217July 31, 2020 5:01 PM

No matter what kind of a person George Floyd was, nobody deserved what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 218July 31, 2020 6:40 PM

R218, That has been said by pretty much everyone on the thread. It doesn't change the fact that he isn't a "Superhero" to everyone has some headlines and people would want you to believe.

by Anonymousreply 219July 31, 2020 7:51 PM

People need to focus only on what happened to him and to others. He personally is not worthy of any glorification.

by Anonymousreply 220July 31, 2020 7:57 PM

Who has made him into a superhero?

by Anonymousreply 221July 31, 2020 8:05 PM

His family referred to him as a superhero so it was a headline in articles and many people used the family's language to talk about him. he has become the face of black lives matter and he and his family received all kinds of attention and gifts that other black people killed by police never received. For some reason, his death was seen as more unfair than the others and that he needs parades and streets and parks and murals in his name. As I said before I think it is more SJWs than black people lifting Floyd up and trying to make him a personal hero. No one deserves to be killed by police so there shouldn't have been an issue with being honest about who he was and talking about him as the person he was, versus this idealized person that the crowds wanted him to be.

by Anonymousreply 222July 31, 2020 8:17 PM

George Floyd happened to be the best documented police homicide at a time when the social dam was ready to break. Michael Brown was not a particularly sympathetic victim. He happened to be killed when the dam of injustices in Ferguson was ready to break. If I could orchestrate the social movement, I'd make Elijah McClain the face of Black Lives Matter.

by Anonymousreply 223July 31, 2020 9:29 PM

Philando Castile would be good too. Guy had been stopped 49 times for minor traffic violations - and without a criminal record. Stopped this time because cop drove past him and said he saw a wide nose and thought he was a robbery suspect. Fired 7 shots into the car within seconds of walking up to the window. Later arrested his girlfriend who was in the car with her 4 year old daughter. The cop's rationale for the shooting was that he 'thought' he could smell marijuana and if someone was going to put their child at risk by smoking marijuana in a car then who knows what else they will do. He was acquitted of all charged.

by Anonymousreply 224July 31, 2020 9:35 PM

It’s not bothering me so much. We’ve spent centuries turning white men into superheroes via propaganda in media.

And if I had a dime for all the killings of people of color by law enforcement that have gone undiscovered I could pay for their funerals. The cops who have killed these folks are only the ones that got caught.

by Anonymousreply 225July 31, 2020 11:00 PM

This is an excellent site for fatal encounters. The guy who runs it goes through many sources to find any death that occurred with police present. He gives the data and sources for his data.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 31, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote] The police should not be judge, jury, and executor.

Unless the decedent specifically said it in their will.

by Anonymousreply 227August 1, 2020 2:13 PM

Saint George will tour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 1, 2020 2:24 PM

R214: that's all anyone has been doing in this thread. Bringing up George Floyd's criminal record rationalizing whether or not we should care he was murdered on camera. This is why the phrase Black Lives Matter exists.

by Anonymousreply 229August 1, 2020 4:02 PM

R223 Plus he was killed just as summer was beginning and people were ready for an excuse to leave the house, COVID-19 be damned.

by Anonymousreply 230August 1, 2020 6:18 PM

Me too, r223. He was completely innocent of any wrongdoing and was just stopped because an anonymous tipster thought he was "acting strangely - yet did not look dangerous." I believe he was particularly sadistically brutalized by the police because he was physically weak and gentle and came across as gay. (or on the spectrum)

by Anonymousreply 231August 1, 2020 10:08 PM

This shit isn’t even new. It has been going on for generations and black people have always been attempting to get the message across, but have been ignored, scrutinized, and demonized by white people.

So if you don’t support BLM, you’re racist trash point blank.

by Anonymousreply 232August 1, 2020 10:30 PM

I haven't watched the newly-released video.

They say he had a medical issue affecting his breathing.

by Anonymousreply 233August 3, 2020 9:46 PM

Consider how much time and effort England spent trying to colonize Africa and enslave its people.

In fact, I read it right here on Datalounge: “America’s legacy of slavery is England’s fault.”

by Anonymousreply 234August 3, 2020 10:05 PM

R234 Are compiling a collection of Datalounge's Pearls of Wisdom?

by Anonymousreply 235August 3, 2020 10:13 PM

They deserve this as much if not more than the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236August 3, 2020 10:17 PM

R236, LOL! What 5th grader wrote that?

by Anonymousreply 237August 3, 2020 10:51 PM

Well George Floyd does have a face like a dropped pie. I wouldn’t want a mural of him on a liquor store in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 238August 4, 2020 1:20 AM

One who’s smarter than a celebrity, R237.

by Anonymousreply 239August 4, 2020 1:24 AM

Nobody's posted it yet so here's the bodycam footage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 4, 2020 2:12 AM

See, I was right all along, the complete video exonerates the police officers involved of second degree murder charges/accessory to murder because it proves that Mr. Floyd was resisting arrest.

It is reprehensible what the media and the “powers that be”, i.e. the Democrat party, have done in this situation. Using Floyd’s death as a pretext to sow racial division on not just a blatantly, demonstrably false narrative (disproportionate police brutality against black people), but an implicitly outright lie: that Mr. Floyd was an innocent, law-abiding citizen; a victim who wasn’t resisting arrest or defying police or clearly on drugs. The mainstream media also conveniently forgot to mention Mr. Floyd’s armed attempted robbery of a pregnant woman in 2007. 🙄

By the way, according to Minneapolis police protocol at the time, an offender that is actively resisting arrest is liable to various forms restraint, and that included a chokehold. Good luck with that second degree murder charge.

There was never a sliver of evidence to support the argument that Floyd’s killing was racially motivated. It was simply a Leftist media (CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, et al) looking to race bait and exploit a tragic murder that involved a white police officer and a black assailant.

Statistically exceedingly rare, the media and the Marxist BLM suggested that his murder is representative of widespread anti-black policing, citing a series of questionable prior white cop/black victim incidents. Because every time a white officer uses force against or murders a black person, it’s ALWAYS racism. 🙄

I’m so sick of this shit! THIS is why I’m embarrassed to be visibly black in this country. No self-accountability, constant victimhood, a race that Democrats see as pawns, and gladly exploit as they see blacks are too dependent on, and frankly, too stupid to never not support them, embarrassingly high levels of black-on-black violence that NO ONE will talk about, because that’s racist too. 🙄

George Floyd was NOT an innocent victim. If he complied and didn’t resist arrest he would be alive today. The corrupt media and the powers that be worked in tandem to suppress the full story because it was politically advantageous for them not to. Anyone who falls for this or alleged future acts of police brutality against blacks without first seeing the totality of evidence and circumstances of the situation is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 241August 4, 2020 7:16 AM

nothing triggers whites more than hearing " black lives matter".

by Anonymousreply 242August 4, 2020 9:16 AM

fuck you, you shitbag. CBS and CNN are no more leftist than you are a black millennial.

by Anonymousreply 243August 4, 2020 9:29 AM

Fuck you, R243. Because ALL blacks are perpetual victims who jump on the “that’s racist!” bandwagon every time a police officer (but only a white police officer), uses force against a black assailant. Because being black MUST mean jumping to conclusions and falling for an exploitative agenda meant to incite a race war. You are blocked, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 244August 4, 2020 9:54 AM

You're a miserable fucking troll and a congenital mouth breather.

FUCK YOU and FUCK RUSSIA.

by Anonymousreply 245August 4, 2020 10:02 AM

I don’t understand UK’s dog in this race?

by Anonymousreply 246August 4, 2020 10:11 AM

I think George Floyd suffered from anxiety and that is why he resisted arrest. He didn't deserve to die, the police need to be better educated on dealing with people who have mental health problems.

by Anonymousreply 247August 4, 2020 10:12 AM

Pointing a gun at someone who counterfeited a $20 bill is a well-known de-escalation tactic.

by Anonymousreply 248August 4, 2020 11:06 AM

R241, you ain't black!

by Anonymousreply 249August 4, 2020 11:44 AM

Meanwhile, here in Houston, they are planning to build a sports center with Floyd's name on it (in the Third Ward, which is a complete shithole). It's important to stay fit when one is constantly on the run!

by Anonymousreply 250August 4, 2020 11:44 AM

[quote] By the way, according to Minneapolis police protocol at the time, an offender that is [bold]actively resisting arrest[/bold] is liable to various forms restraint, and that included a chokehold. Good luck with that second degree murder charge.

Ok, but what does it say when the perp is handcuffed and no longer actively resisting?

You can crush their necks for almost 9 minutes, choking the very life out of them?

by Anonymousreply 251August 4, 2020 12:13 PM

[quote] I don’t understand UK’s dog in this race?

I think that’s sort of their point.

by Anonymousreply 252August 4, 2020 12:13 PM

Race, race, race. Why do they call it "race"? What's at the finish line?

by Anonymousreply 253August 4, 2020 12:20 PM

R253 Was it Charles Darwin who coined the term 'race' to signify our progress?

by Anonymousreply 254August 4, 2020 10:08 PM

George Floyd did not deserve to be killed by Derek Chauvin (assuming Chauvin was the actual cause of death, he may not have been), but George Floyd is even less deserving of all these protests and adulation.

If the most you ever contributed to your family is a financial payout from the government after being killed by a cop, you’re a pretty worthless person.

by Anonymousreply 255August 4, 2020 10:39 PM

Yeah, they treated him like he was Matthew Shepard or something.

by Anonymousreply 256August 4, 2020 10:43 PM

[quote]Race, race, race. Why do they call it "race"? What's at the finish line?

I think the term "breed" would be worse.

by Anonymousreply 257August 5, 2020 5:42 AM

Why is the term "breed" worse?

Did your mother choose an ugly, stupid man to marry before creating you and your siblings?

It is basic human instinct that we choose our partner to be good looking and/or brainy. We don't go to the fruit market and buy shrunken, bruised fruit.

by Anonymousreply 258August 5, 2020 7:55 AM

its not about the suspect being innocent, this is about the sadistic response of the responding officers to an unarmed citizen. its not about the cops being racist either, you can be a racist scumbag and still do your job.

if they did their fucking jobs and issued a citation to the SUSPECT, Floyd would be alive and not made into a martyr.

behaving erratically= stand a suspect's neck for 10 minutes until he dies? pass a bad bill- stand on a victim's neck for 10 minutes until he dies? you say he resisted arrest. was he resisting arrest while he his neck was being stood on for ten minutes and he cried out for his mother as he died? white addicts need extended care, treatment and sympathy. black addicts are criminals and need to be locked the fuck up and worse?

Floyd is not a one off.

by Anonymousreply 259August 5, 2020 9:58 AM

The UK police also have a nasty reputation with people of color. It makes sense that many would identify with Mr. Floyd and his horrible death at the hands of the law.

by Anonymousreply 260August 5, 2020 4:03 PM

R259 Wait, what? Did you watch the body cam footage before M pulled it?

Give a drunk driver a citation and let him drive off again? Suppose he killed someone on the way home?

by Anonymousreply 261August 5, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote] I don’t understand UK’s dog in this race?

They want to be noticed by Americans I guess.

by Anonymousreply 262August 5, 2020 10:57 PM

R259, it is almost entirely about behavior at the time of the stop/arrest. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

How many times do people need to be told that traffic stops are among the riskiest and most dangerous encounters the police have apart from domestic violence situations?

At traffic stops the police are internally checking off a list of deadly possibilities. Complying with their orders helps to accelerate their process of getting to the point where you are not considered a danger to them or others.

The ability to see your hands so they can tell you don't have a weapon in them or that you can't go for a weapon is vital. When you are told to put your hands somewhere then just fucking do it. Floyd didn't do that and when he did that he then kept moving them causing one of the cops to draw his weapon as a precaution. You can see that cop to the right of the screen. It also became apparent quickly that he was high on something and that condition in and of itself presents a danger to everyone nearby including the passengers who were telling Floyd to stop resisting. I'm sure no one has to be told that when you're high you may not be able to follow orders or you may do stupid and dangerous things.

Even serial killers survive arrests if they are smart enough to just comply with police orders when they are stopped or arrested. If it's an illegal arrest you sue afterward. You know, when you are alive and can spend the money.

by Anonymousreply 263August 5, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, here in Houston, they are planning to build a sports center with Floyd's name on it (in the Third Ward, which is a complete shithole).

Well hopefully they don't forget to invite the woman he terrorized to the grand opening.

by Anonymousreply 264August 5, 2020 11:21 PM

George Floyd was killed by the police. George Floyd, thanks to a combination of drugs/mental health issues, made it easy for one bad cop to kneel on his neck for nine minutes. Unfortunately, for 15 minutes on the body cam video, his erratic behavior and non-compliance - even his friends were telling him to get in the damn car - also make it easy for the police to claim his death was unintentional because he was resisting arrest. The poor fool got himself killed and gave the police evidence to get away with it. That sucks.

by Anonymousreply 265August 5, 2020 11:35 PM

I wonder if George Floyd was following the philosophy of this man who said we should either 1. Get Rich or 2. Die trying to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266August 6, 2020 7:47 AM

50 cent was hot back in the day! And now that I think about it, a lot of rappers back then had album covers that were very homo-erotic.

by Anonymousreply 267August 6, 2020 8:26 PM

. . . a lot of rappers back then had album covers that glorified violence, shooting, abusing their sex-partners, using the N-word, and conspicuous consumerism.

by Anonymousreply 268August 6, 2020 10:28 PM

"Back then"? Has it changed?

by Anonymousreply 269August 7, 2020 1:59 AM

I'm relieved that this perfidy against Saint George is untrue—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270August 7, 2020 2:02 AM

Yea R268, "back then?" That has NOT CHANGED but hey, they get a pass. I remember being at Washington State Park at NYU a few years ago where there were white feminists protesting some shit, when a black guy on a bike comes by blasting rap music about "fucking bitches" and "lickin pussy" just completely objectifying women, and the feminists looked very conflicted on what to do.

On the one hand, the music degraded them, but on the other, they can't lecture a black man on his cultural music choices without being racist.

The music has NOT CHANGED.

by Anonymousreply 271August 7, 2020 12:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!