Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Best Covid Project?

The cast iron skillet thread inspired me, as well as the “daily enriching things” thread. I’ve had a lot of bad news and a major death recently and simple threads have cheered me up a lot, so here goes: If you have tackled any projects due to staying home more, what are they? Have you learned a new skill? Do you have any tasks or projects you hope you can complete? I look forward to your answers and hope to give inspiration, if needed.

I learned how to make really good flour tortillas. I take long walks or an exercise class daily. I hope to start work on a miniature project based on an animal shelter adoption but it’s proving very difficult. I’ve spray painted many things gold or “desert rose” and I hope to strip two bookshelves and lighten the stain so they are more modern.

by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2020 8:20 PM

I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets, scrubbed every surface, threw out a lot.

Probably something some of you do twice a year, but it was a big deal for me. Taking everything out and putting it all back.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2020 3:43 PM

Planted an herb garden in pots in my side yard. It’s doing very well. I now have the time and energy to cook at home and have been using fresh herbs from my garden. Last night it was chopped rosemary to help season my lamb chops. Last week I made bruschetta using basil from my garden. Tonight I will add thyme to my sautéed mushrooms. The possibilities are endless!

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2020 3:51 PM

Making it through each day relatively sane. We're living in dystopia.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2020 4:09 PM

I started gardening for the first time. I’ve never had time to tend to a garden before. My tomatoes and basil are amazing, but nothing else survived. I also learned how to cook Thai food (my favorite). I had assumed that Thai cooking was difficult, but it was fine once I had the proper ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2020 4:40 PM

I've been repotting my houseplants (I have a lot) and rearranging my house for their benefit. I love having a window full of blooming orchids: I don't mind staying home quite so much.

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2020 2:35 AM

I’m learning French!

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2020 2:37 AM

Learning to cook a lot of classic Asian dishes, mostly Korean. Brushing up on language studies, but unfortunately, more time does not translate into more focus for me. I still have the attention span of a gnat.

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2020 2:48 AM

I had a set of Ikea bookshelves sitting around for two years, and well. I now have a brand new and much more elegant library wall in my living room!

I always had something better to do before this, than to assemble Ikea furniture and reshelve all my books.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2020 9:45 AM

I started meditating each morning and I’m trying out different recipes each week for dinner. And I started a blog (of course).

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2020 11:01 AM

I redid the caulking in my bathrooms. I scrubbed the hell out of them with a wirebrush and magic erasers. I bought new caulk to even them all up. They were just old and grungy looking and always bugged me. The caulking on them was uneven, and rough, so it constantly looked dirty. After I caulked them I tried to be meticulous and used a razor and ruler to get them super straight and even. They look great now. It was little but something I'd wanted to do for several years. Now the damn things better not get all mildewy again!

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2020 11:09 AM

What’s it called when you start a project and complete maybe 80% of it and then jump to another project? Because that’s what I’ve been doing. I started to clean and organize my spices and never finished. I then went on to clean out all the drawers in my kitchen. I didn’t finish that either. Is it ADD or something?

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2020 3:24 PM

I planted a vegetable garden, redid my backyard completely (installed flower beds and re-sodded), learned to bake bread and donuts.

by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2020 3:46 PM

I've taken up rock painting, primarily to enhance my newly-designed fabulous backyard of multiple planting beds (roses, daylilies, lilacs, azaleas, forsythias, butterfly bushes, and so on)!

Plus, I'm reading more, and I mean actual books! Currently my endeavor is "Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal."

by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2020 3:57 PM

R11, make a to do list of all your unfinished projects; order them according to priority, and get cracking. Don’t start any more projects until you finish the list.

by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2020 4:00 PM

R2, Likewise! I have, in planters on my driveway, Genovese basil, purple Opal basil, English thyme, lemon thyme, rosemary, sage, and parsley. And I love adding my purple basil to salads!

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2020 4:05 PM

Proud of you, r10! You enhanced more than your bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2020 4:07 PM

R8, Are they "Billy" bookshelves? I have them in three bedrooms, one of which would be today called an office, given that there are also two desks and no bed! (I put the cases together eons ago!).

by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2020 4:11 PM

[quote] What’s it called when you start a project and complete maybe 80% of it and then jump to another project?

Losing your motivation. The last 10-20% of a project can be the hardest.

by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2020 4:46 PM

I've been a better housekeeper, keeping to a schedule, picking up more and all that. I am going back to work part time so I intend to continue with it. Working a lot really does smother some of the finer points of daily life.

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2020 5:03 PM

R15 are you going to make some nice pesto with all that basil?

I just added fresh dill to my scrambled eggs. It was delicious!

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2020 6:15 PM

R20, I might! I've been known to!

by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2020 6:55 PM

First came the intense spring cleaning and manic Marie Kondo folding/organizing--I was dealing with the shock of lockdown, but I'm very happy with the results.

Then I returned to learning French, which I love; tried several kitschy dessert recipes from my 50s housewife cookbooks; learned to make samosas; sold a lot of stuff on ebay for small change which nevertheless added up. Next I'm going to tackle my cupboard full of boxes of snapshots.

All the best to you, OP. I've been cheered up by DL, too.

by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2020 7:00 PM

Salut, R22 ! C'est cool ! Vive le minimalisme !

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2020 7:19 PM

Putain mais tu déconnes, R23.

Just kidding. I picked that phrase up from a song I found on the Foreign Pop Songs thread.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2020 7:28 PM

That was very "idiomatique" R24

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2020 7:39 PM

Watching every Akira Kurosawa film on the Criterion Channel.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2020 7:41 PM

I've started learning Portuguese - beautiful, mad language - and picked up French again for the first time in a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2020 8:43 AM

My vegetable garden is huge now, I have managed to expand it quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2020 9:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your recent troubles, OP. I recognize your name and look forward to your posts, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2020 10:23 AM

Green-fingered DLers, what's a good herb to start off with for someone who manages to kill most plants they touch?

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2020 10:30 AM

I've been going through one drawer or one cabinet at a time -- the goal was one per day but I haven't quite managed that -- and am tossing or donating a lot of stuff. Also coming to terms with the fact that I might be a hoarder! So good times all around.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2020 10:33 AM

Contemplating death more often than only once a day

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2020 10:33 AM

I was learning Italian at the local university. Now they've decided they're not taking us older students next semester. Sono triste.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2020 11:37 AM

Parsley R30. Easy to grow and good results.

After 20 or so years I have resurrected knitting. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was a young kid. So far I have knitted a scarf and am part way through a cardigan. After the cardigan I am knitting a sweater. I have purchased all the wool and needles. I am really enjoying it so far. This is the scarf I knitted in the same colors:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2020 11:47 AM

This is the cardigan I am knitting at the moment in a charcoal gray. It will look great with black jeans and a black t-shirt like in the pic below:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2020 11:49 AM

Basil grows nicely if you have sun, r30. If not, don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2020 11:50 AM

And this is the sweater I am knitting next in navy blue.

I forgot to mention - anything I had forgotten about knitting I was able to easily find on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2020 11:52 AM

Finally putting in the wainscotting I designed decades ago.

Lord, how I love a miter saw.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2020 12:00 PM

My mother is an excellent knitter. It's an activity that occupies your brain and leaves you with a nice finished product. Really like the final sweater you posted.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2020 12:11 PM

I cleaned out all the kitchen cabinets then started cleaning out all the closets and threw out a ton of stuff I have two more closets to do. I planted flowers on my terrace and was going to add tomatoes and basil but decided to grow weed since my supply is getting low I have 6 plants which are 5 ft. tall I should have a good crop by November.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2020 12:14 PM

R30, Rosemary, thyme, and basil. The last doesn't like too much water! Mint and oregano grow like the proverbial weeds, so plant only in pots!

R31, I hear ya! I have a Hefty bag in my dining room, ready to empty bureau drawers. I'm a past collector of Wedgwood, Edward VIII memorabilia, wine glasses, books (thousands), and other stuff that I'm done with, and nobody else wants!

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2020 2:10 PM

R33, I tried it once in an Adult Non-Credit class, as I live two minutes from our local community college. Alas, I remember only "coniglio" ("rabbit"), learning much more simply by traveling!

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2020 2:15 PM

Deep cleaning, basically. My area has very hard water so I finally bought some pumie stones and tackled the toilet bowls. They are sparkling like new.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2020 2:17 PM

When I was first laid off I thought about doing some much needed back yard work/cleaning. I live in a Townhouse so nothing takes much time. By the time I had bought new/upgraded tools to do things it was summertime. Now it has become a fall project. I also am in the middle of putting together my Personal Health Record. Up until this year I only went to my Primary and the Dentist. I let things go that I am know ready to do something about. Primarily I am now a Rheumatoid Arthritis patient. And I will probably be having an arthroscopic procedure on my elbow that has two cysts in the joint. Being out of work and having Medicaid has given my the ability to do this.

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2020 2:27 PM

I wrote a soon to be grammy-winning album that left the haters fuming

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2020 2:48 PM

Well, I guess I'll just zip off to Milano tonight, r42!

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2020 3:10 PM

I started working out again. Freehand, no weights. Now my moobs are spectacular, and they are real!

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2020 3:31 PM

Thanks R34, R36 and R41! I'll give it a go with some pots on a nice sunny windowsill.

I have an unfortunate tendency to neurotically over water my plants. I'm really much better with kids and animals.

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2020 7:41 AM

[quote] have a Hefty bag in my dining room, ready to empty bureau drawers. I'm a past collector of Wedgwood, Edward VIII memorabilia, wine glasses, books (thousands), and other stuff that I'm done with, and nobody else wants!

I cringe thinking of the sound of Wedgwood and wine glasses being tossed in Hefty bags.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2020 7:43 AM

I've been re-arranging the chairs on my deck

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2020 7:54 AM

Thanks R39!

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2020 8:50 AM

R49, Or I could trundle them all to some flea market and hope to get a buck apiece. Or go nuts with a "Wear a Mask!" yard sale. How DO collectors downsize?

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2020 9:58 AM

Like some others, I've been doing a bit of closet-clearing. I've been in my condo for 19 years and just kept putting new stuff in front of old. It's a slow process right since it's hot and humid right now but I know it's a marathon, not a sprint. The biggest project is my hall closet where I keep OTC stuff. Some of it expired in the last decade!

The project I'm most proud of is my second bedroom. It was just sort of a dumping ground as I cleaned out other rooms. Now, it has a small couch (I really want a day bed in there but it's not a priority), a TV and stand, and a my Spin bike. In the Fall, I will tackle the garage. I still have paint cans from the PREVIOUS owner!

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 12:12 PM

R49, I know exactly how you feel. When my sister passed away, I had to hire a company to clean out her apartment. She had lots of glassware, pots and pans, etc. I thought they'd wrap it up and sell it somewhere to make money. Nope, they came in with huge trash bags and cleared the place out in about 2 hours. I felt bad because my sister had some crystal goblets. I took a few but couldn't take them all.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2020 12:15 PM

[quote]Your Best Covid Project?

I'm about halfway done molding a Hummel figurine entirely out of virus fragments collected from plastic grocery bags.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2020 12:19 PM

Cleaned out my shed. Cut down a tree. Fixed my Harley. Cleaned my fridge. Planted some of a friend's excess mother-in-law tongue that seems to be doing well so far. Clipped weeds my weed eater can't get to. I fixed my bicycle and I've started to ride it around the neighborhood, which I haven't had the courage to do since I broke my back and knee four years ago. I still (always!) have yard work to do ( I have a 1/2 acre) that will probably keep me busy until I drop dead.

But best of all, I lost the 10 "corona shutdown" lbs. I gained, and I've lost almost 10 more. Yippee!

by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2020 5:29 PM

R56, Congratulations on getting back on your bike after your previous injuries. I don't think I'd have the courage.

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2020 11:30 PM

R29,

Thank you for such a lovely reply! I didn’t want to play the martyr in my original post but to fill in the gaps, my stepmother just died after over a year of paraplegia and dementia and my beloved dog was diagnosed with bladder cancer. My son was about to head off to college but that’s now been put on hold so I get to hug him a little longer. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2020 2:23 PM

R43 I’ve tried the pumice stone on toilet trick but it just seems...scrapey?

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2020 2:25 PM

r59, I pick up a gallon of Muriatic/pool acid (weaker HCL) and get out the handled scrub brush when I notice the ring returning.

A cup drizzled around the ring, let set 15 mins, swish, let set another 15 and scrub.

Wear rubber gloves.

by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2020 6:39 PM

Apartment declutter /purge project in progress. Started with food (fridge, freezer, pantry) & medications (rx & OTC). Clothing was next (got rid of one item, in particular, that was hard to get rid of). Office supplies. Recently did my bathroom / medicine / linen cabinet.

The big surprise was cleaning out kitchen stuff (non-food). *Lots* of stuff I wasn't using. Gone. Now, I know exactly what I have & I use everything (I think).

Final frontier 😬 : Computer files declutter (work files / personal files). I've organized these files before, but I really want to delete unused things, this time. (Aside from financial /tax records that I need to keep for possible audits.)

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2020 7:21 PM

Whenever I try to declutter my house I find it difficult. Seems like if I have a personal attachment to things it’s harder for me to throw away. I’ll go into my bedroom and declutter for 10 minutes and have piles of things and have no idea how to organize them. Any ideas how to overcome this?

When I help other people declutter their place it’s so much easier. Maybe I should have a stranger decluttering my place.

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2020 11:16 PM

R56 how did you break your back and knee?

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2020 11:17 PM

R62, I think you hit the nail on the head: it's hard to declutter when you have personal attachments to things. That's why it's easier to tell someone else what they should discard (you don't have a personal attachment to their things). Maybe it would help to get a respected friend in there with you to help make decisions.

by Anonymousreply 64August 2, 2020 11:29 PM

1-800-Declutter and 1-800-GotJunk are lifesavers when you need to declutter. And Two Men and a Truck is great if you need to move some heirloom piece of furniture to an interested party's house. I used the moving service to move a lot of old furniture down from my 2nd floor to the 1st floor, after first decluttering the first floor. I handled the emotional strain better working through specific rooms, rather than tackling the whole house at once.

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2020 11:35 PM

R62, I feel the same way you do about pictures.

My Mom had one of those cameras that spit out the photo immediately, She had YEARS and YEARS of them. When I cleaned out her house, I put them in a bag and brought them home. There are pictures of long dead relatives and special occasions. My sister said just throw them out. No one has asked about them or is thinking about them.

But I lost my Mom to Dementia in July 2016. In March of 2017, I lost my brother and 6 weeks later in May, I lost one of my 2 sisters. Both died from cancer. Ugh! I'm planning on doing some Fall Cleaning (it's too hot and humid right now). Maybe I will have summoned up the courage to do it by then.

by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2020 1:11 PM

R62 Organizing is so hard but here are a few of the tips my BFF gave me (she’s a pro):

For paperwork, label your file folders as specifically as you can. If you have two cars, give them each a folder. If you have accounts at Wells Fargo and BofA, make them separate folders. Basically, create enough landing places for everything and it won’t be confusing - you’ll know exactly where it goes.

Also, set aside a few boxes labeled “Keepsakes”. Then - without guilt - fill them with crap you can’t see recycling or tossing. Ticket stubs, playbills, pictures, whatever. Just give all that weird, hard-to-categorize stuff a place and don’t feel bad about keeping it.

Lastly, set up a file called “I Am a Badass” and put in anything that makes YOU feel good about yourself. You will be so glad you did.

Good luck!!

by Anonymousreply 67August 3, 2020 6:46 PM

R66 I’m so sorry - what a horrible year for you.

by Anonymousreply 68August 3, 2020 6:50 PM

For paperwork, I would recommend a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner. I have the iX500, which I think they upgraded. It has a feeder (I think 50 pages can fit). Also, once your documents are scanned, you can do a word search on them. (It's a little pricey - maybe $500 - I pulled the trigger because I needed it for work plus could deduct the cost from my taxable income. However, I would recommend it for personal use as well.)

I also got a confetti shredder that can shred CDs, DVDs, and cards.

by Anonymousreply 69August 3, 2020 7:09 PM

R66, Cosmo, sorry about your losses. That’s terrible. Hope you’re doing ok.

by Anonymousreply 70August 3, 2020 7:18 PM

R67 excellent ideas! Thank you! Especially like the last one about being a bad ass!

by Anonymousreply 71August 3, 2020 7:20 PM

Thanks, R66 and R68. It was the worst 9 months of my life. I'm the youngest of a family of 6. In those 9 months, we went down to 3. My Dad will be 86 in September. He's underweight but has no health issues.; not even any medication!

I adopted Cosmo 3 months before my Mom died. Thank goodness I did. I didn't know how sick my sister and brother were until after Mom died.

I'm doing OK. I sometimes feel guilty that my life is going pretty well. My sister and I are ridiculously close which might not have happened otherwise. Sorry to derail the thread.

by Anonymousreply 72August 3, 2020 8:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!