Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Kevin Spacey stay closeted for so many years?

I mean it wasn't like he was playing Superman or James Bond.

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2020 2:41 AM

the real question is why did he come out and that was to deflect from the charges made by that kid (or that kids' parents)

it was to deflect and to change the focus

making a pass at that kid may have been icky, but I don't think it was technically illegal especially if the kid started live streaming it or live texting it (or whatever he did)

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2020 12:16 AM

He was very much trying to be the next Pacino, tom hanks, Russell crowe. He would not have been cast in American Beauty had he been out. So much progress has been made we are forgetting just how homophobia the late 90s were.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2020 12:20 AM

After broadwY, He started on tv in the 80’s - not gay friendly. He wanted to be a leading man in the movies. His success was early 90’s - who was out & a leading man?

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2020 12:22 AM

Kevin Spacey 60 Minutes interview where he denies he is gay and introducing the audience to his hot and heavy romance with a woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2020 12:24 AM

"LA Confidential" came out in 1997. My gaydar pinged on Spacey in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2020 12:34 AM

Why does anyone stay closeted? Because they are afraid of being judged, and how it may influence the opinions of and treatment they will receive from others.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2020 12:37 AM

so WEHT Dianne Dreyer - Kevin Spacey fiancee ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2020 12:42 AM

R1- he came out after the statement by grown man Anthony Rapp that Spacey laid him down in a bed when he was like 12 and Spacey was 27. Rapp got loose and left. Spacey said he was drunk and is now an out gay man.

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2020 12:46 AM

[quote] is now an out gay man.

Any news how Spacey former fiancee Dianne Dreyer reacted to the news?

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2020 12:47 AM

He’s a self-loathing homophobe ashamed of being gay.

He’s also enough of a raging narcissist to convince himself he could play the straight, romantic lead, when he was actually only ever cast as a creep.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2020 12:51 AM

He's like most actors in Hollywood. They'll do anything to have a career. Lie, cheat, steal. It doesn't matter. He also became an arrogant prick. Especially after he won that second Oscar. I really think he felt he was untouchable. And had plenty of paid people protecting him. I think felt if he came out. I wouldn't get those A+ roles he was accustomed too.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2020 1:03 AM

He. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2020 1:15 AM

It's that age group, born in the 1950s. You carry the stigma to some degree the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2020 1:46 AM

Remember when Rapp complained about Spacey being in the closet after he lodged the assualt claim? So after Spacey apologized for sexually wrestling with him in (a black out) he also opened up about being gay. Immediately after the revelation one million people simultaneously attacked Spacey for coming out as a distraction

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2020 1:57 AM

It’s a moral character thing. Anyone who puts career ahead of truth is probably a bit of a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2020 1:59 AM

R1, wouldn't coming out put more spotlight on the allegations? It also makes people more likely to believe that he assults men or in this case a 14 year old boy.

He should have denied, denied, and denied. But he did not come out as a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2020 2:03 AM

Its weird how a straight actor can rape a 14 year old and the world pedophile never even comes up.

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2020 2:04 AM

He wasn’t gay when he was with ME!

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2020 2:14 AM

I mean everyone knew he was gay and it wasn't like he was ever considered romantic leading man material. He was a character actor who became a star.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2020 2:58 AM

He came out when he got busted re: the 14-year-old because he wanted the support of the gay community at that time. It ended up being a really weak move due to his age (50s, so old, why now) and the fact that *now* he's coming out, when he's done something reprehensible and needs support. Nobody wanted to welcome him with open arms into the gay men's community.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2020 5:33 AM

R8, that's right.

what was a teenager doing in his apartment; what did Spacey think he was doing?

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2020 6:51 AM

Weren't he and his brother both physically abused as kids?

I think that in and of itself can create a block for lots of things, including sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2020 7:17 AM

He wouldn't have gotten hired to play the husband like in The Ref and American Beauty

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2020 7:32 AM

[quote]Its weird how a straight actor can rape a 14 year old and the world pedophile never even comes up.

Do directors count? Because Polanski and Woody Allen (and, in France, Christophe Ruggia, who was accused by actor Adèle Haenel) are called pedophiles and child rapists all the time.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2020 7:35 AM

[quote] [R8], what was a teenager doing in his apartment; what did Spacey think he was doing?

It was a casting party of a play he was doing, many people were there too. Even if he were alone with the kid its still a 27 year old with a 14 year old. Did you ever watch Adventures in Babysitting? That's how Rapp looked like when Kevin tried to fuck him, he looked even younger than 14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2020 8:35 AM

Still find it odd how Rapp was laying on his bed, he couldn't have been that naive

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2020 8:55 AM

Yep

14 year olds can be wistful, innocent, and naive.

“Something sweet and magical is going to happen”

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2020 9:43 AM

Which means Rapp was hoping something would happen

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2020 9:45 AM

I think Rapp dreamed of romance and Spacey didn't act the way he thought he would

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2020 10:01 AM

Always so tiring that dl pretends that TPTB can just let celebs come out left and right; and everybody wants to be straight, and have a family, and be perceived as normal; the modern West et al are also about gay sterilization, besides other sterilizations.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2020 10:18 AM

[quote]Its weird how a straight actor can rape a 14 year old and the world pedophile never even comes up.

Jeffrey Epstein (not an actor, but straight) is constantly referred to as a "pedophile." And Prince Andrew too.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2020 10:21 AM

R11 is KS. I think he slippt up there.

Naked ambition, venery, greed, etc. , as in Under the Silver Lake or Maps of the Stars.

Also, yknow girls don’t tell...

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2020 10:32 AM

Sorry, r11, no drama. I misread the part at the end where you slippt into first person from third. Forgive me.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2020 10:40 AM

Dianne Dreyer pings to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2020 10:40 AM

R24 , I never remember Polanski and Allen being called peodphiles in the press.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2020 2:02 PM

I am talking about actors that enageged in assult of minors. Nobody called Timothy Hutton, Sy or vester Stallone, or James Franco out as pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2020 2:03 PM

(R36) Or Jared Leto.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2020 2:39 PM

"So after Spacey apologized for sexually wrestling with him in (a black out) he also opened up about being gay"

So an assault is "wrestling" now?

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2020 2:46 AM

"I am talking about actors that enageged in assult of minors. Nobody called Timothy Hutton, Sy or vester Stallone, or James Franco out as pedophiles."

Hutton and Stallone denied the accusations against them, Spacey didn't even bother to deny Rapp's accusations. Also Spacey has multiple accusers and Hutton and Stallone only have one accuser each.

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2020 2:48 AM

Because being closeted made it easier to get away with creepy behavior towards men and boys - people didn't spill the beans because they didn't want to out him

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2020 2:49 AM

R40, Interesting perspective. You are probably right.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2020 2:26 AM

Spacey was sort of out though in his early days. I waited on him in a store I worked in when he was on Wiseguy and getting known. He was with a younger obviously gay guy and they seemed to be on a date.

I also saw him walking his dog outside of Lost in Yonkers on Broadway with another young gay looking young guy.

He wasn't that hidden if you were looking. Just in the press I guess. (and I guess you could do that back then since there was no internet to rat people out.)

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2020 3:18 AM

r15- Maybe now. But 40 years ago, you had to put career ahead of truth or you couldn't have a career. It's hard to fault someone like that. If they want to act, you do what you gotta do. That said, there is no excuse now. None.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2020 5:06 AM

But r20 he didn't do the reprehensible thing NOW (2017). It was in his late 20s. It was only being REVEALED now.

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2020 5:10 AM

Kevin Spacey was a handsome guy until about the turn of the millennium. But by then he had aged and it was clear he was never going to be a leading man, just a talented character actor who sometimes got leading parts. But he went another full 17 years before he came out, and that was only when he was forced to do so. I think the reasons were because he had attacked that GQ writer for coyly outing him, insisting he was straight (which was a complete lie), and he feared looking like a fool if he came out after that--also, he was in denial about his looks and his youth (and so we all had to endure the embarrassment of "Beyond the Sea").

Whether he is the Chester the Molestor he has been portrayed as being seems uncertain; but he is clearly an extremely vain and deluded man who was nasty to other people. I have zero sympathy for him.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2020 5:13 AM

r38- it wasn't even described as wrestling. He just laid him down in the bed. Inappropriate behavior with a child and if it had been investigated then, Spacey could've done some time.

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2020 5:15 AM

"He just laid him down in the bed."

While he was on top of him

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2020 5:18 AM

“He’s not gay, he just hasn’t found the right girl yet” Did I say that the right way, Kevin? I’m not a Oscar-winning actor like you are, son!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2020 5:21 AM

He played a closet case in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. That was before American Beauty and L.A. Confidential.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2020 5:28 AM

Mentors and agents can have a lot of power over impressionable young actors. My agent told me "You can come out. It's not going to stop YOU from getting roles" so I did. I think if he said not to, it might've gradually moved me towards getting a new agent but his permission meant something. If another actor was told by their agent, you MUST stay in the closet, I can see how they'd think they had to. Before my agent gave me the good advice, my plan was to use the Ricky Martin answer: "you can fantasize about me however you'd like."

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2020 5:30 AM

I wish he could have done the final season of House of Cards, he was great in that role.

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2020 5:35 AM

I just rewatched Superman Returns on HBO Max. Kevin is so handsome bald. I don’t get why he wears that stupid toupee.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2020 5:43 AM

I really enjoyed him on House of Cards too. It was such a good show. But I was so pissed off and disgusted with him I didn't mind. I thought Robin did a really good job. Was a good final season.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 3:25 AM

The internet is idiotic. Rapp himself said Spacey was drunk the night this happened. Spacey doesn’t even remember the night in question, it was 36 years ago. That’s not an admission of guiltZ

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2020 7:07 AM

R46, Rapp went to the police at the time and consulted with a lawyer. They couldn’t do anything because a crime did not occour. There was no kissing, no groping of genitals, and no sex whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2020 7:08 AM

I never thought he was a good actor. American Beauty is straight up moose caca.

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2020 7:11 AM

R31, Epstein has a serial pattern of going after hundreds of minors. Kevin Spacey doesn’t.

I’ve seen the prince Andrew story covered in the press and I’ve never once seen the word peodphile used in relation to him in the press.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2020 7:13 AM

R5 "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" was released in 1989, and even at age nine, I clocked him.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2020 7:27 AM

"They couldn’t do anything because a crime did not occour."

Wrong. They couldn't do anything because the statute of limitations had passed.

"Epstein has a serial pattern of going after hundreds of minors. Kevin Spacey doesn’t."

Nope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2020 5:06 PM

I don't even want to imagine the kind of parties that him and Bryan Singer had.

by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2020 12:12 AM

So it sounds like that 14 year old is famous now. I wonder who it is.

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2020 12:17 AM

He’s good but not great. Overactor.

Either way, he’s a pig. Oink.

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2020 1:58 AM

Why does anyone OP?

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2020 2:00 AM

FWIW I think Spacey is an opportunistic sociopath who will fuck anyone of any gender if he feels it is beneficial to him. Definitely has a creepy sexual energy around him.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2020 2:08 AM

R64, um, no. If he was capable of that he would have married a beard for career purposes. He wanted to fuck chickens

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2020 2:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!