Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sydney Guilaroff, Hairdresser to the Stars

I just finished his memoir “Crowning Glory” and I wondered what you Hollywood queens think of him. Among his assertions: that he created the famous bob on Louise Brooks while a young hairdresser in New York; that he was working at the Saks salon where the real life story that “The Women” is based on happened; that he had decades-long romantic and sexual relationships with Garbo and Ava Gardner; that he was one of the last people to talk to Marilyn before she died (he counseled her to “just take one Nembutal” to help her sleep); that he met Lana Turner coming out of the hardware store after she bought the kitchen knife that Cheryl Crane used to kill Stompanato!

Other than that, he was probably one the first single men in America to adopt a baby (in 1938)- he named him “Jon” in honor of Joan Crawford- eventually adopting another boy. After describing the adoptions his in his book, he never mentions them again.

Thoughts? Somebody give me the lowdown on Miss Sydney!

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote] he had decades-long romantic and sexual relationships with Garbo and Ava Gardner

So he's a Hollywood hair dresser, never married, adopts kids and names one "Jon" after Joan Crawford... yet he's straight?

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2020 9:26 PM

Another good book/memoir is by the late fashion designer Mr. Blackwell. Love the title - "From Rags To Bitches."

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2020 9:36 PM

It's easy for him to stretch the truth when all these people are dead, and can't counter his assertions.

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2020 9:38 PM

He made up the "affairs" with female stars

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2020 9:40 PM

Why no pic in the title post, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2020 9:42 PM

I'm always amazed when I see his name turn up in credits in stuff from the '70s and '80s. He was the hairdresser for The Two Mrs. Grenvilles, for instance. Unbelievable that in the mid-'80s, the hairdresser of Louise Brooks, Joan Crawford, et al was still plugging away at his trade..

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2020 9:49 PM

He was gay (duh) and had affairs with male MGM stars like Peter Lawford. The shit about affairs with female stars was made up.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2020 9:57 PM

Another amusing part of the book is his takedowns of Cecil Beaton as a two-face hack: he wrote him a letter after a dispute saying, “as far as I can tell, everything you do resembles a Victorian piss pot”; Lucille Ball (cunt- she was mean to Crawford when she guest starred on her TV show); and, surprisingly, Irene Dunne (she intentionally fucked up screen tests to make more money).

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2020 10:17 PM

He did all of Liz's hair for CLEOPATRA. For that alone he is a God.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2020 10:28 PM

Didn't he do dead Judy'd hair?

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2020 10:45 PM

Judy Lewis, Loretta Young's semi-legitimate (eventually!) daughter with Clark Gable also said Irene Dunne was a cold bitch in her memoir too, "not at all the way you might imagine", something like that. Dunne visited her while she was very ill and bedridden while her family was on the West Coast and brought her.... a rubber plant.

Those mean old Catholics can be hardcore bitches!

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Not Judy R10, but he did dead Marilyn’s hair (using a wig from “Something’s Got to Give”) and Natalie Wood after she died.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2020 11:20 PM

Guuurrllllll

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2020 11:22 PM

I'm guessing both Marilyn and Natalie got perms.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2020 11:39 PM

He made leading ladies in the 50's look like bull dykes. All those awful short hairstyles that made actresses look forty years older? That was his trademark that decade. A hack.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2020 12:10 AM

r15, those hairstyles were popular across the board. He didn't invent them.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] Lucille Ball (cunt- she was mean to Crawford when she guest starred on her TV show

Because Joan showed up drunk, and could barely function

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote] one other amusing part of the book is his takedowns of Cecil Beaton as a two-face hack: he wrote him a letter after a dispute saying, “as far as I can tell, everything you do resembles a Victorian piss pot”

Oh, that definitely sounds like a guy who had years long sexual relationships with Ava Gardner and Greta Garbo. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2020 12:54 AM

He and Cecil Beaton must have been fighting like cats over the favors of the divine Miss Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2020 12:59 AM

Canadian Guilaroff's book is the worst kind of sophmoric, eldergay ghostwritten garbage. He could've told the truth and spilled some tea we didn't know on himself and others, instead he wrote a book that's like Barbara Cartland visiting MGM. Why is there no intelligence or insight after seeing all those legendary ladies as they were "Offstage"?

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2020 12:59 AM

I was about to say that it wasn't THAT long ago that someone mentioned this book on DL, but I think I'm remembering a post from 2009!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2020 1:10 AM

He was no José Eber!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2020 1:20 AM

[quote] that he met Lana Turner coming out of the hardware store after she bought the kitchen knife that Cheryl Crane used to kill Stompanato!

How does he know that it was that particular knife? Did Lana say, "Oh, I was just in there buying this knife that my daughter will one day use to stab my mobster lover"?

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2020 1:22 AM

I own Sydney's book and while it's good, it's hard to believe some of the anecdotes he shares because he shares so little about himself. He was so obviously gay. It takes away from the other gossip when he's hiding who he actually was. It's a breezy read.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2020 2:15 AM

He had decades-long romantic and sexual relationships with Garbo??? Ha ha ha. Gay as an Easter basket. Might as well have a "sexual relationship" with a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2020 2:43 AM

I'm not sure if you can still find the threads in the search, but there was someone who had access to the files of Howard Strickling (MGM's "fixer") and posted a bunch of gossip about MGM stars. Guilaroff got around with the male starlets. And, yes, the stuff about affairs with Garbo and Gardner was pure bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2020 4:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!