Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help! I need comfortable sneakers!

I have been taking walks of 6-10 miles a day during Covid. It’s really helping me. But, my feet are killing me with blisters and the sneakers I have also rub on the back of my heel that makes it almost unbearable. I got these New Balance sneakers at DSW because I don’t know where to find sneakers. Where do I find comfortable sneakers in non garish color?? It’s become a real problem.

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2020 4:30 AM

I personally like Skechers for walking, They have comfort shoes and as my feet are a bit wider, their wider sizes fit me the best of any shoe.

They also have non garish options, and they are quite durable.

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2020 6:51 PM

Red Ball Jets

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2020 6:53 PM

The best thing you can do for your feet is go barefoot. You need to develop a thick layer of callus.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2020 6:57 PM

Brooks running shoes are pretty good for this type of thing.

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2020 7:01 PM

Outdoor hiking boots.They look like shit but they are great. Never had blisters.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2020 7:03 PM

My podiatrist recommends Asics. They are comfortable and have had no problems since I've been walking in those.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2020 7:06 PM

I love Asics brand, as they fit my Flintstone feet really well. Put Vaseline or Vick’s Vaporub, just between your toes— don’t get it anywhere else on your foot. Also, wear two pairs of socks. I usually wear the first pair of low cut or ankle wicking socks wrong-side-out, so the seams don’t rub. Since I started doing these things, I have had no blisters. I am fat, and have done several 5-10 k races, a ten miler and half marathon, using these tips. Here.’a hoping happy feet are in your future.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2020 7:12 PM

OP - I know exactly what you mean about garish running shoes. I don't know where this phenomenon started - but most running and exercise shoes have all of these weird neon colors, swoops and decorations that are just tacky AF.

Nicki Minaj or Bjork would call them over the top.

It's insane - it's very difficult to find modestly priced exercise shoes that are fashionable and tasteful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2020 7:15 PM

It's hard to find sneakers that aren't hideous. I'm wearing black-on-black New Balance (barely see the uninspired logo) but it too has a strip of white at the bottom.

Try Ecco, which are the most comfortable shoes and sneakers I've worn.

Saucony's low bullet and Jazz lines are great and in dozens of colors.

Mizuno are lightweight and kind of propel you forward. Ugly colors, though.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2020 7:15 PM

Zappos has free return shipping so you can order several pairs to try on. I like Saucony. Super light weight, good cushioning. They have styles for over- and under-pronation (too much on outsides/insides of feet). Smartwool socks have good cushioning, absorb sweat and have soft seams.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2020 7:19 PM

I buy all my sneakers at Goodwill for $9.99. Adidas, Nike, Asics. Yesterday got an almost new pair of NB. All in barely worn shape.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2020 7:20 PM

I have a job where I stand on my feet for hours and I really like Adidas Ultra boosts. They feel like clouds. Asics are too hard with not much bend for my taste. I also add insoles specified for standing on concrete in my other shoes.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2020 8:19 PM

Converse with Dr Scholls inserts . I walk 4+ Miles a day in those.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2020 8:57 PM

A friend who walks everyday recommended this brand I just bought these today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2020 9:02 PM

Custom orthotics could help you as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2020 9:56 PM

Goddammit you silly bitch get Rockports and STFU.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2020 9:59 PM

OP, I have used Wrightsock antiblister socks for years. It doesn't matter what shoe or boot I have, but I will seldom get blister when I get these socks. Yes, expensive, but worth it for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2020 10:01 PM

OP, do yourself a favor and try a pair of Hoka One Ones. They ain't pretty but they have a ton of cushion. Zappos sells them.

OT- The Zappo company paid for the funerals of all the people killed in the Las Vegas shooting.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2020 10:11 PM

Another vote for Asics...specifically the Kayano series (was recommended to me for overpronation and I've stuck with them)

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2020 12:42 AM

OP if you happen to have high arches I suggest any of the Adidas running shoes featuring Cloudfoam or the Ultrarange Rapidwield from Vans. Something very flexible but also cushioned will be best for your feet and legs.

If you have small or flat arches I can’t help you, sorry!!

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2020 1:01 AM

for years (decades?) I crammed my feet into sneakers that simply did not fit.

then once I bought by accident 4E wide sneakers by New Balance.

Changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2020 2:47 AM

Another vote for ASICS

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2020 2:50 AM

Have you considered walking every [italic]other[/italic] day?

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2020 3:39 AM

Go to a running or walking store. Have them measure your foot and make some suggestions based on your preferences.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2020 3:49 AM

Earth Shoes have great walking shoes and sandals. Plus you can order multiple shoes from them to try on for size and return for free. They expect it and have no problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2020 4:13 AM

I'm a dedicated walker/hiker and can't rave enough about Merrell (for hiking) and Nike (for walking). I use custom insoles due to feet issues and both brands provide the support, cushioning and comfort that allows me to walk/hike for hours with zero problems.

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2020 4:24 AM

Merrell

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2020 4:27 AM

Do you live by a new balance store? They can fit you properly for a pair of walking shoes.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2020 4:34 AM

Skechers are great shoes.

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2020 4:35 AM

Nike Airs. It sounds like you may be wearing the wrong size shoes, if you're getting blisters.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2020 4:45 AM

Puma ST Runner V2 turned out to be great for walking 6-7 miles a day. No blisters, feels like walking on clouds. I went up half a size though.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2020 4:47 AM

I am also a lover of Asics, after fooling around with other brands. I know I can buy an Asics size 10, from anywhere, and it will fit me comfortably. Zappos is a great on-line dealer.

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2020 5:35 AM

Dr. Scholls makes some excellent shoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2020 4:44 PM

When it rains out sometimes I worry about slipping when the bottom of my shoes wears smooth. These are good for that issue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2020 4:46 PM

Another vote for Hoka One One.

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2020 6:29 PM

This thread is Hoka One One heavy. I smell PR

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2020 1:39 PM

Mephisto

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2020 1:42 PM

Mephisto! Good one I'd forgotten about. I have an old pair of Mephisto Allrounders when they were normal sneakers, before they leaned heavily into the stupid frau Mary Jane style. Can't find laced Allrounders as easily but for sure those were the sneakers that looked good and were comfortable.

Adidas were comfortable, especially the trail runners Nike for me didn't work; too soft (unstable) and narrow.

Get a few different ones from a place with easy returns, OP.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2020 1:47 PM

Kuru.

The best.

And I walk 6 miles a day

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2020 1:56 PM

Fila. Obscure brand, but always the most comfortable for my plantar fasciitis.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2020 2:02 PM

Merrell......can't be beaten.......wear 100% merino wool socks........(less hot than you think they are..........)

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2020 2:02 PM

New balance rollbar sneaks. The 900 series. Only buy if it has rollbar technology. And see a podiatrist

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2020 2:03 PM

Nike Vaporfly 4% Flyknit - they help many marathon runners and they should help you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2020 2:07 PM

They might not be trendy, but I wear (and have worn for more years than I wish to admit) white Adidas Stan Smith. Support. Comfort. Goes with anything I wear.

And I accidentally got cool, I think, for wearing white sneakers. Though I'm not sure that's what I read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2020 2:55 PM

Keen for walking or serious hiking. Best arch support and traction.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2020 3:01 PM

I agree with R12 so here's another vote for Adidas Ultraboost. Comfortable and durable.

Comes in all sorts of colors including plain white, black and gray. $180.00

They are also made ethically.

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2020 3:20 PM

This is fucked up. I’ve never even heard of Hoka sneakers until this thread and now I am getting ads from them. No other brands mentioned in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2020 5:49 PM

Another vote for Skechers. I wear wide-size shoes and my Skechers are the most comfortable shoes I own.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2020 5:57 PM

I seconded R18 suggestion for Hoka One One as I love the ones I have.

As far as I can tell, there were only 2 of us who mentioned that brand.

Hardly PR, R36. Check your olfactory senses.

Lots of multiple mentions for other brands.

Perhaps you are a threatened PR person for one of the other brands.

Checking reviews is worth doing.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2020 9:21 PM

[quote]Put Vaseline or Vick’s Vaporub, just between your toes— don’t get it anywhere else on your foot

I used to use Vaseline between my toes to prevent blisters. It worked, but it ruined my socks. I've been using Trader Joe's Head to Toe balm and it works great. I put it on in the AM before putting on my socks. then in the evening before going to bed. I have hardwood floors so I'm careful not to walk barefoot when I get up in the night.

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2020 12:47 AM

I've been using these pads folded in half between my toes to prevent blisters at the end of the day I toss them and use a clean pad the next day. Your toes and sock will hold them in place and they are very comfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2020 10:01 AM

makeup pads^^

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2020 10:05 AM

Nike Pegasus or Nike Pegasus turbo

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 11:16 AM

Wow, Nike still makes the Pegasus! My first good pair of running shoes were Nike Pegasus which I bought in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2020 1:18 PM

R54, they are the most comfortable shoes ever! I love them.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2020 6:41 PM

OP, try these for me;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2020 7:05 PM

REI is having a 50% off sale today.

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2020 6:53 PM

Thank you so much r7 for the two pair sock

my feet was hurting and I tried doing the two pairs and the pain was instantly gone. I thought it was just my shoes!

Thanks again.!

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2020 4:25 AM

[R 58] You’re welcome. I share this tip all the time, because it really helped me. My first 10k, I wore a single pair of cotton terry socks, and destroyed my feet. Two months of severe blister recovery. Wicking socks helped, but the blisters did not stop, until I did two pairs of socks. Life changing.

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2020 4:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!