Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which one of you bitches is Uncle Roger?

He’s trending for a video of him losing it because a TV cooking presenter drains rice. There’s no way he’s not a DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2022 9:41 PM

Malaysian or Singaporean accent. But he is right, how do you end up with so much water after the rice is cooked? 1 c rice to 1 c water is the correct proportion.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2020 1:45 PM

Wrong R1 1 cup rice two cups water.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2020 1:48 PM

R1 has only ever cooked 'Minute Rice.' ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2020 2:06 PM

Nope, make it nearly every day in my rice cooker, 1:1 after washing rice first. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2020 4:19 PM

It's Persian rice. The guy's an idiot if he doesn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2020 4:22 PM

Dear idiot at R3 I always cook Jasmine rice, never in my life have I cooked, or seen the rice you mention

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2020 4:41 PM

And dear idiot. I looked at the minute box you link to and that ratio is 1 to 1, not 2 to 1.

I never wash rice either.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2020 4:43 PM

How to cook rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2020 4:45 PM

I will agree that if she'd measured the water and rice properly, she wouldn't have needed to drain it. I also agree that rinsing it is a sin.

That being said, I understand he probably uses rice on a frequent basis, but for someone to criticize and then admit to using an appliance specifically for that task, as opposed to the saucepan method is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2020 4:51 PM

He makes legitimate points. And who actually uses Minute Rice? You buy real rice, like Jasmine rice, and you cook it in a rice cooker, not in a flooded pot full of water. And you don't wash rice before cooking it. Either use the correct appliances and utensils, or don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2020 5:00 PM

You wash rice to remove the talc or cornstarch or whatever it is that they pack it with.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2020 1:53 PM

Asians cook rice "dry"

it actually makes it higher in carbs, but it fries up MUCH better

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2020 1:58 PM

For fried rice, yes you can sauté the dry rice in a little oil before you add the water.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2020 2:18 PM

I don’t wash my rice before cooking it, but I do rinse it to get the extra starch off. When the water runs clear I know it’s ready for the rice cooker.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2020 2:21 PM

R11 what kind of shitty rice are you buying. Mine has no talc or cornstarch.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2020 4:47 PM

You make fried rice with day old rice, not wet straight out of the pan. There are various ways to make rice, Uncle Roger is obviously judging from the Chinese POV as he's Malay or Singapore Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote] And you don't wash rice before cooking it

You wash the rice to remove the bran.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2020 6:02 PM

If you watch the full video, he wonders aloud what "BBC" is, then looks it up and clarifies that "British Broadcasting Corporation" is okay, but "Uncle Roger not into the other BBC", so...maybe not a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2020 6:10 PM

Minute Rice is already cooked.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2020 6:16 PM

In a rice cooker, you can use a lot less water. The machine knows how long to cook it for based on the water you use; when it's reached a certain level of evaporation, it can determine it's done.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2020 6:17 PM

Wash your rice: pour rice into a pot, add a couple cups of water, swish it around. See how the water is turning a filmy white? That’s what you are washing off, starch. You are not removing the bran, that’s already been removed. Drain the rice using a sieve. Do it three times until the water runs clear. If you’re lazy like me, just put rice in sieve to begin with and run it under the tap to rinse. Then put in rice cooker 1:1 with fresh water.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2020 7:01 PM

I rinse the rice and then soak it for about 30 minutes before putting it in the rice cooker. That will really get all the excess starch out. By the way, the water from the soaked rice makes a marvelous hair treatment.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2020 7:24 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2020 7:45 PM

Yeah, I notice the corona-level number of cancer deaths due to arsenic in the rice in Asia where they eat it THREE TIMES A DAY.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2020 8:00 PM

[quote] You are not removing the bran, that’s already been removed.

Not fully

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2020 10:34 PM

And if you're cooking enough rice you just put your pinky finger on the rice and add water until it reaches the first joint in your finger. You don't need to measure.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2020 10:35 PM

I must admit I gasped when she started rinsing the drained rice.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2020 10:44 PM

Uncle Roger is character played by Nigel Ng, a Malaysian standup comedian living in London now.

Try not to be TOO shocked if you hear that he and Hersha Patel end up with an Asian travel/cooking show in Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2020 12:36 AM

Is Nigel Ng gay?

He is very cute in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2020 11:50 PM

Uncle Roger meet Fried Rice Rady!

Forrow up, Wideo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote]It's Persian rice. The guy's an idiot if he doesn't know that.

No, he isn't. She wasn't making a Persian dish. She was making egg fried rice and the way she prepared the rice was completely counter to the type of rice prep for EFR. By your logic, someone can prepare noodles with soy sauce and call it Italian.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2020 12:17 AM

R24 Not only 3 times a day but rice is used in snacks like mochi and rice crackers.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2020 12:22 AM

You can cook rice the same way you cook pasta -- i.e., boiling it in water and then draining it.

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2020 12:23 AM

She says in the BBC interview that she was following the Recipe that was given to her by the show. She doesn't cook rice that way either. She also said she got messaged by many cooks who said you CAN cook rice that way. In other words, there's many ways to cook rice, different cultures do it different ways.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2020 12:33 AM

For fuck sake, many people have no issue with the way she cooked it if what she was making was South East Asian food. She was making a classic EAST Asian dish and the way she cooked the rice was WRONG for that dish. Are people mentally-challenged that they can't see why it was wrong in the context of what she was making?

And the morons who got offended are fucking idiots who need to take a midol.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2020 12:44 AM

Uncle Roger loses it when he watches Jamie Oliver put jam in his fried rice recipe. Jam. In fried rice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2020 1:30 AM

I learned to cook rice using my mom's James Beard cookbook and even he recommended rinsing the rice first. I also seem to recall the ratio of water to rice was less than 2:1, though I'm pretty sure he didn't use the joint of the finger--maybe he said fill the pot with enough water so that it was an inch above the rice.

Nigel Ng is cute but he's not exactly Margaret Cho, is he?

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2020 1:36 AM

Mom taught me the perfect way to make rice was to call a Chinese Restaurant and have it delivered!

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote]Dear idiot at R3 I always cook Jasmine rice, never in my life have I cooked, or seen the rice you mention

I wasn't talking to you, R6/R7 - I was addressing R1, who said, "1 c rice to 1 c water is the correct proportion."

[quote]And dear idiot. I looked at the minute box you link to and that ratio is 1 to 1, not 2 to 1.

Yes, that's why I suggested that that's the brand of rice that R1/R4 is using, because he says he uses a ratio of 1 to 1.

Kindly pay attention to who is talking to whom.

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2020 6:53 AM

I’m not big on rice. I sometimes use the microwave stuff though.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2020 10:43 AM

Jasmine rice is not a brand of rice. It is a variety of rice, like basmanti, short grain, etc.

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2020 11:48 AM

I've tried various methods and I've had various rice cookers, they're great. I think I still have a rice cooker but I just cook it in a pot now.

Perfect rice:

1. Rinse the rice three times, swirling it in the bowl each time (it's a good treatment for your hands, not that I'm calling you vain...)

2. Boil 1.5 cups water per cup of uncooked rice. After the water boils, salt it and stir.

3. Add rinsed, drained rice, put on the lid, turn down heat to simmer-ish.

4. Cook 20 minutes. Turn it off. Do not look at it, this means you nosy bitches.

5. Let it sit untouched for 15-20 minutes for any excess water to be absorbed.

6. Fluff with a fork, serve, add stuff, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2020 2:39 AM

Perfect Rice is never rinsed. 2 to 1 ratio, not 1.5 to 1. Otherwise you cook for 20 minutes as instructed.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2020 7:52 AM

Nigel Ng is very cute, I must admit I have a bit of a crush. He's also done some follow up videos where he takes "Aunty" Hersha to Chinatown, I just saw the second part tonight and they say she is going to take him into East London next so he can try her food and shop at her local places.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2020 8:13 AM

I've tried your method and it doesn't work for me, R43. I rinse and I do 1:1.5, comes out perfect every time sorry.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2020 4:20 AM

And your method ruins rice for me. I use Jasmine only.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2020 7:27 AM

This measuring stuff is bullshit. You have to know your pans (rice cookers are also bullshit) to know how much rice and water will serve 2, 4, or 6 people. Pour in water, and bring to a boil. NEVER put rice into cold water. Rinsing it is silly, and if you have bought enriched rice, you are literally washing all the added nutrients off of the rice and down the drain. It's simply not needed for most other types of rice, although it won't affect the nutrients of non-enriched rice. I would only rinse rice in countries where they pack the rice in other ingredients to keep insects from getting to it.

When you add the rice to the boiling water in the pan, eyeball it. You should pour the rice in until it is exactly one finger joint under the surface of the water. If you have crappy skills at eyeballing, then reach your finger into the water to find that distance. By the miracle of displacement, that will be EXACTLY the correct amount of rice no matter how much water you have used. If you made a mound in the center of the pan when you poured the rice in, flatten it out in the bottom of the pan so that it is all equally covered with water. Otherwise, your eyeball measurements might go awry. Turn your heat down to simmer, and tightly cover the rice. If it's white rice, like jasmine rice, it will be done in 15-20 minutes. If it's brown rice, it will be done in 35-40 minutes. After 15 minutes, you can peek at your rice. If it looks done it IS done. Put the lid back on and let sit for 5 minutes. If you've done something wrong and there is still some water bubbling around the rice, cover and cook for 5 minutes longer before turning off the heat. Again, let it sit for 5 minutes. You are done. Your rice will be perfect.

Uncle Roger is right about many things, and he borrowed his fake Cantonese accent straight from Russell Peters. He's hysterical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2020 11:01 AM

The knuckle method is bullshit as well have different sized fingers.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 7:38 AM

[quote]When you add the rice to the boiling water in the pan, eyeball it. You should pour the rice in until it is exactly one finger joint under the surface of the water. If you have crappy skills at eyeballing, then reach your finger into the water to find that distance.

Don't put your fingers into boiling water, people, I don't care WHAT some Datalounger tells you. Jesus.

And don't just eyeball stuff because some stranger tells you yer a pussy for measuring. Use the measurements on the bag. Each kind of rice is different, trust the manufacturer to tell you the right way to make it.

Rinsing is optional though I know some people swear by rinsing and soaking (and also cooking in excess water and draining like this lady did) to get rid of the arsenic in rice. To my knowledge, the only study that actually showed arsenic could be reduced was one which used a contraption that circulated filtered boiling water.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2020 8:01 AM

The knuckle method is ridiculous. That would depend entirely on the size of the pan. If you're cooking one cup of rice in a 12 inch pan vs a 6 inch pan, the amount of water it takes to reach your knuckle will be vastly different. This is not a way to cook rice.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2020 8:19 AM

A. A quarter second dip of a finger in boiling water is no more dangerous than passing a hand quickly over a gas flame on a stove. It is not the absolute temperature that a person is exposed to, but the time involved in heating up the skin to a dangerous point. A finger at 98 degrees is not going to heat up to 212 degrees in a quarter of a second. It MIGHT get up to 115, or the heat of a warm shower in that period of time, after which you are exposing it to your ambient room temperature when you withdraw it, which is going to be much cooler than 98 degrees, quickly cooling your finger down through evaporation. Basic science. No one suggested you hold your hand under boiling water for a considerable length of time, which of course would result in serious tissue damage, but I guess I should have clarified that for the mentally challenged who might have read it that way. Moreover, you only need to do this once or twice before your eyeball learns to "read" the distance between the rice under the surface and the surface itself. B. Rice is very forgiving, so knuckle size really doesn't matter all that much. We are talking about much less than a quarter inch between the knuckle length of a person with long fingers and the knuckle length of a person with short fingers. That MIGHT amount to a quarter cup of liquid, which will not affect the cooking of the rice at all. Rice absorbs liquid on a 1:1 ratio, BUT, (and this is very important), excess water will simply evaporate in the cooking process, even in a relatively tightly sealed pot, which is why a 1.5:1 ratio of water to rice is often suggested, probably for those who are prone to burning their food on the stove. For a scientific explanation, see the article below, which also shows that the knuckle method is MORE accurate than the measuring method, especially as the quantity of rice being prepared increases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2020 8:34 AM

Throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, rinsing the rice in water before frying in oil with garlic or onions is the way to go, then you simmer till it naturally dries up, no need to drain it later, though Latinos will use a rice drainer like this one, colanders are use to drain pasta.

I thought Nigel Ng was American given his accent, now I googled him and hes Malaysian but went to Northwester which explains his accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2020 9:26 AM

Girls! Girls! You both eat too many carbs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2020 9:31 AM

Just cut it out. Stop telling people to put their fingers in boiling water.

The "eyeballing" method is ridiculous on its face because pans and hands are a wide variety of different sizes, and different kinds of rice need different amounts of water and cooking times. Even that kiddie museum you linked to makes it clear the "knuckle method" needs a very specific size of pan AND they do NOT tell you to put your fingers into the boiling water. You saw their video on it when it posted a few weeks ago but forgot some of the key details, apparently.

How has it come to this, anyway? Why are you on Datalounge at 3:30AM calling someone mentally retarded for saying you shouldn't put your fingers into boiling water?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2020 9:36 AM

R50, it is about proportion, not amount. You need the same proportion of rice to water, no matter how much rice you are making.

The proportion remains the same in the knuckle method.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2020 4:13 PM

Depends on the pan R55. Stop the bullshit is is so easy to measure and get perfect.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2020 5:07 PM

I'm very happy with my "bullshit" rice cooker.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2020 5:27 PM

How could it depend on the pan (unless the sides slope)?

Mathematically, the proportions could not change.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2020 9:59 PM

r26 is correct!

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2020 10:06 PM

You put your finger when you add the water.

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2020 10:07 PM

Just measure the rice and water and keep your fucking fingers out of it.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2020 10:23 AM

Oh, he knew what BBC stands for.

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2020 10:40 AM

Here's a little thirsty pic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2020 10:48 PM

Uncle Roger got been accused of being of pro-CCP after deleting his collaboration video with Mikey Chen(strictly dumpling)another popular youtuber who has criticized the CCP.

by Anonymousreply 64April 8, 2021 9:28 PM

Uncle Roger takes on GBBO Japanese Week as a fraud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 8, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote]Uncle Roger got been accused of being of pro-CCP after deleting his collaboration video with Mikey Chen(strictly dumpling)another popular youtuber who has criticized the CCP.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2022 5:37 PM

Nigel is hilarious and fucking adorable. A friend sent me a video of his and I'm going thru his library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2022 5:51 PM

See, this right here is why I don't eat everyone's cooking and never participated in "workplace potlucks." If you're making rice - [italic]real[/italic] rice - you have to wash it. Period.

This is as bad as the below video of a lady fucking up some collard greens like she's making kale.

I was raised by my New Orleans-born, Louisiana Creole, great-grandmother, and, thus, grew up on superior cooking. So, this triggered the absolute hell outta me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2022 6:35 PM

[quote]Don't put your fingers into boiling water, people, I don't care WHAT some Datalounger tells you. Jesus.

LOL

You measure the cold water with your finger because the rice is already in the pot/cooker BEFORE you start.

This is for plain cooked/steamed rice. Not for pilafs where you measure or eyeball it.

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote]Don't put your fingers into boiling water, people

Hiyaaaaaaaa.

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2022 9:24 PM

We had a next door neighbor in Florida when I was a kid who was Filipino and a chef for the admiral and he swore by the knuckle method.

The traditional rice cooking method in the south brought by slaves from west Africa was to boil the rice as you would pasta and straining it out.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2022 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!