Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indian Matchmaking and DL faves Nadia, Pradhyuman, and Aparna

Will Nadia always be jilted?

Is Prad secretly on our team?

And is Aparna basically all of DL: bitchy, attached to mother, and alone because no man meets her 714 requirements?

And what is the gay equivalent of this show? Letting an old pro have your log in credentials to BarebackRT? Turning over your unlocked phone - with all the attendant gay "social media" apps - to a trusted matchmaker?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2020 1:43 PM

I didn't even know this show existed

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2020 10:29 PM

if the pair is heterosexual, then it is not a match but a complete missmatch according to natural law.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2020 10:49 PM

R2 Oh come on, you had parents and ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2020 12:28 AM

DL always surfaces these interesting shows Ive never heard of

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2020 3:27 AM

***POST SHOW SPOILER***

All of the featured participants on the show ended up still single after filming ended, except for the one divorced mother who found her mate on a dating app instead of through the matchmaker.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2020 8:52 AM

I just started watching.

Arranged marriage is actually an interesting idea (and obviously pretty effectively for many).

It's like a bunch of blind dates

by Anonymousreply 6July 31, 2020 3:38 PM

Prad comes across as gay--or at least every privileged

by Anonymousreply 7July 31, 2020 3:38 PM

Cast(e) Catch -Up ... and yes, I still think Pradhyuman smells cookies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2020 7:32 PM

I binged this in one evening. Here on DL is the only place i am admitting watching it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2020 7:54 PM

I agree. I thought it was very interesting ... I knocked back a bottle or Rose and binged it last night.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 9:38 PM

The woman who was a vet SCREAMED lesbian from the rooftops. Her brother was a big gay.

Aparna is the most annoying woman in the world.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 11:31 PM

I could not stand Aparna. She was a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2020 7:57 PM

^But I loved Nadia and felt sorry for her.

Overall, I thought the men were far superior to the snotty, demanding, rude and not all that attractive women.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2020 8:04 PM

Nadia needs to meet a Jared Kushner type of Jewish man who will adore her and live for her every need, and live in a big house in northern Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2020 8:09 PM

Did she also arrange Priyanka Chopra's marriage to Nick Jonas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2020 8:15 PM

I resisted watching this for a while. Then two of my friends mentioned how much fun it was. I relented and then got sucked in.

My take:

1. Love Nadia. She’s smart, funny sweet and gorgeous. She deserves an awesome dude.

2. Aparna, hated her. HOWEVER, I thawed a little bit after watching the YT video @R8. I think she was allowed to explain things she said during the actual series. I think the series was edited in such a way to make her come across as very difficult to please. I still don’t like her much, but I feel I understand her personality a bit better.

3. Vyasar, big cuddly, sweet teddy bear.

4. Prad totally pings gay, I thought so right off the bat. He’s doing the whole matchmaking thing to appease his parents. Or, theory number 2, the parents know he’s gay and decide d to make this big show to deflect the whole Indian “log kya kahengay (what will people say) and have the world believe their son is as straight as an arrow so “people won’t talk”.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2020 8:54 PM

Aparna is such a stereotypical lawyer. Entitled, humorless cunt. She should just stay single since nobody is ever going to live up to her expectations for more than a few weeks.

Nadia has a lot of great qualities on paper, but she came across as a little bit needy and desperate. It was similar with Vyasar. If they could relax a bit, then I think they would be less likely to scare potential partners away.

I actually felt sorry for Akshay (and even moreso for whatever poor girl he finally ends up with) with that overbearing nightmare of a mother.

Out of all the men on the show, I found "Srini the loser" the most attractive. He can do a lot better than Aparna.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 9:36 PM

Colorism and Classisms and casteism galore. this show makes me deeply uncomfortable

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2020 9:38 PM

R18 yes, and?

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2020 9:53 PM

It's amazing how ugly Indian people are.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2020 10:25 PM

I wasn’t planning on watching it, but ended up binging it over the weekend. I had a feeling none of these matches worked out because there was no follow up on any of them. Like others have said, Nadia is gorgeous, but comes off a bit desperate. I think if she eases up a bit, she’ll be fine. Prad is definitely gay. I’m happy that Akshay finally stood up to his mother. You can tell during the engagement ceremony that he was miserable. His mother needs a Connie Ford-style swift kick in the cunt. Vyasar reminded me of an Indian Seth Rogan. He comes off like a really sweet dorky guy. Aparna did herself a world of good appearing on this follow up show. She comes off less cunty.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2020 11:18 PM

R20 Indian people are like all people. Only the weirdos want the attention from being on reality tv. This bunch is not representative of all Indians in this country. Also, this takes place in Florida I believe. These are not the Indians who present themselves well and go to the Ivies.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 1:13 AM

The handsome jeweler guy makes doll clothing for fun FFS!!!!! GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2020 1:17 AM

Aparna is literally the living embodiment of DataLounge.

Only DataLounge is too stupid to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2020 1:46 AM

*Correction: Aparna's mom is DL. Making bitchy, unhelpful comments about the relative "loser"-ness of guys she will not have to marry.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2020 1:49 AM

Correction. Aparna is based in Houston. She isn’t like the Indian women I know in NY or the ones I met at Stanford/Silicon Valley.

The racism/colorism in the show is truly embarrassing. As is the heteronormativity. The less educated Indians aren’t very aware. They don’t question certain stereotypes or prejudices. Bollywood espouses these backward values too.

But I assure you, there are plenty of Indian intellectuals in India and the diaspora.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2020 2:06 AM

Of course there are Indian intellectuals.

There are British intellectuals too. But we're all still going to obsess about Tom Holland's dick size.

Priorities, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2020 2:07 AM

^^^ 🤣. So true.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2020 2:09 AM

These are wealthy Indians represented in the show, not the millions who are dirt poor. And yes, it is a reality in India that pale skin is associated with wealth/higher caste.

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2020 9:38 AM

It’s also that “fair skin” is considered exclusively beautiful. Even amongst many in the diaspora, that isn’t questioned. I know plenty of women who were unable to find mates because they didn’t want someone dark-skinned.

They consider dark skin ugly and don’t question that assumption. Skin color is one of the first questions asked on dating sites.

There is a deep prejudice against Africans and their descendants. It’s almost a hatred for some. Again, it is assumed that fair is beau and brown or black is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2020 5:17 PM

The show is just telling it how it is for these upper class Indians. As someone who has never been exposed much to that world, I found it fascinating. Some of the attitudes presented would be horribly un-PC in most Western cultures, but they are there all the same. The fact that 40+% of this godforsaken country still supports Dump should make that obvious.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2020 5:25 PM

Aparna also screamed lez as well. Or at least someone who really doesn't want to get married. Why is she getting married when she hates everyone and doesn't want to share her life, or wants to share her life on her terms. I don't know if she's ever met a straight man in her life, but they put up with it for so long and then they're out of there when they're being controlled too much.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2020 7:43 PM

R29 Wealthy? Like the Real Housewives are wealthy. Reality TV performers like attention. Most wealthy people don’t seek out that kind of attention. In India, wealthy people generally marry into families they know or people they’ve met at school/work. None of my Indian family members have used a matchmaker; even the ones who had arranged marriages. The show makes it seem as if it’s customary.

In fact, matchmakers are used when the parties are not considered highly desirable and they were not approached by people in their circle.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2020 8:40 PM

The filmmaker who made this made a documentary first. It’s much better. It’s called A Suitable Marriage I believe. It’s on Amazon. It’s poignant.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2020 8:43 PM

Bunch of ignorant people who've never been to india making assumptions in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2020 9:42 PM

R35 that’s the DL way. “I know all about your culture because I read a book in college about xyz”; or, “All my Indian friends say...” In reality they only have Indian coworkers.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2020 9:55 PM

I was born in India and grew up there. I came to the US for college. I have dozens of family members there and I still visit quite frequently.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2020 9:58 PM

I believe the documentary r34 is referring to is called A Suitable Girl.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2020 11:49 PM

Yes, you’re right. Thank you. The filmmaker said she’s very proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2020 11:53 PM

Fair enough R33. Maybe not "wealthy" but certainly upper middle class. At least compared to the millions who are dirt poor in India. You could never describe Pradhyuman's family as anything but rich.....to a vulgar degree.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2020 7:31 AM

The upper middle class in India live like Billionaires here because labor is so cheap. The really rich live like Gods. They are vulgar and have no qualms about it. India has a vast underground “black money” economy which Modi has attempted to crack down upon. But still, you’ll see people buying jewelry with suitcases of cash. Everyone pays with a credit card in the US at Van Cleef or Cartier. Until recently, only a small of percentage of income was declared to be taxed.

There are now many billionaires. The richest man in India lives in the largest private home (a skyscraper) which looks over slums without running water. They seem to feel no guilt.

Perhaps their entitlement has to do with the concept of karma. It’s shocking and bizarre. Even stranger is that the poor have cellphones and love Bollywood films and they can see how the rich live yet few revolt.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2020 8:09 AM

^That's so interesting, R41. I sensed the same sort of acceptance from the young people featured in this show. Their families are so intense, meddling and demanding---that mom trying to make her son feel guilty because her blood pressure was high, because he is **gasp** 25 y/o and not married yet. It was lovely to see adult children be so reverent and respectful of their parents, but at the same time it is clear they don't feel free to live their own lives.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2020 4:59 PM

Vyasar seems very sstraight and I hope things work out between him and the veterinarian, who seems like a perfect fit, but I have to say, I think he's really hot! Big, beefy, hairy, dark brown, kind of nerdy, a great sense of humor...woof!

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2020 5:09 PM

R43 for updates view the video at R8. It ties up some loose ends. Vyasar is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2020 5:13 PM

R26, I take your points, but I also thought it was interesting that the Sikh woman, who seems absolutely lovely, has a Black American brother in law in NYC.

R30, again, point taken, but let's also not forget that there are many descendants of sub-Saharan Africans--the Sidis, as well as other groups--in various parts of southern India, as well as what is now Pakistan. And don't forget the Dravidian people, the longtime occupants of southern and central India, northwestern Pakistan, and what is now northern and coastal Sri Lanka.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2020 5:17 PM

Vyasar can do WAY better than the fug lesbian vet.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2020 7:36 AM

R45 All South Asians and some Iranians have Dravidian DNA.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2020 9:00 AM

r33 is right, these were not rich Indian people. The really wealthy Indian immigrants are in London.

The super rich in India would never appear on a reality show. Whoever compared these people to the Real Housewives is bang on accurate.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2020 1:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!