Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix

Aaron Sorkin wrote and directed. Good cast. It lands on Netflix on October 16th, just in time for the election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2021 12:23 AM

Those photos are not promising. Everything looks like a stereotype, a re-imagining of "the 60s aesthetic". How much you wanna bet all the protest scenes involving people running from tear gas are in gauzy slow motion. Having said that, can't wait to watch new movie!

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2020 2:15 PM

Hah, R1, at least the scenes were actually shot in Grant Park in Chicago and not LA.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2020 2:32 PM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 2:44 AM

Who plays the asshole, self-hating Jew judge?

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 2:47 AM

Sacha Baron Cohen as Abbie Hoffman

Eddie Redmayne as Tom Hayden

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Richard Schultz

Mark Rylance as William Kunstler

Jeremy Strong as Jerry Rubin

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Bobby Seale

Alex Sharp as Rennie Davis

Michael Keaton as Ramsey Clark

Frank Langella as Julius Hoffman

Kelvin Harrison Jr. as Fred Hampton

John Carroll Lynch as David Dellinger

William Hurt

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 3:44 AM

Two threads? YIPPEE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 3:46 AM

The reviews are excellent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2020 1:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2020 1:41 PM

Not really interested anymore, in the stories boomers tel themselves about how great they were. That's what the fucking 80s were for.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2020 1:45 PM

Except these aren't boomer stories, r9. Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman were born in 1938 and 1936 respectively.

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2020 1:53 PM

I started it tonight but it’s too dry. It’s just not very filmy.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 12:05 AM

It's like a bad parody of a "serious political film." I had to turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 12:14 AM

More English people playing American people.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 12:38 AM

OMG, this is going to be great! Abbie Hoffman used to follow up each day with a video of him using a blackboard to show how stupid the trial was and the judge's many violations of the Constitution.

Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 12:43 AM

I watched it today and thought it was really good. Sacha especially.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 12:49 AM

Good, not great movie. Good acting, especially Frank Langella. Typical Sorkin drama. High energy, high emotion, literate writing, liberal bent.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 1:28 AM

I’m almost through it. I agree with the sentiment above about it being good, not great. But very timely and certainly a welcome movie for those with any interest in the state of our nation. Rylance will get a Best Actor nomination and Langella will get Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 10:08 PM

How could they butch up Eddie Redmayne? He is so not convincing.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 1:35 AM

I'm watching it now and finding it thrilling. I love this stuff. I think Strong is so endearing as Rubin, but Mark Rylance is simply fantastic as Kunstler, as the last man with any common sense. His trade offs with Langella's judge are so goddamn funny. Also, the actor from Watchmen who's playing Bobby Seales is really impressive in this.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2020 1:38 AM

I did not recognize Sasha Baron Cohen, well done to him. I wish they would stop casting Eddie Redmayne as American. His voice is so forced and out-of-breath, add any accent on top and he sounds like he has a cold.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2020 2:10 AM

I really liked it. I've not been a big fan of Sorkin. I thought this was really well done with the exception a few corny Spielberg moments. I agree that Mark Rylance was amazing. I also thought Sascha was really good as was the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2020 2:15 AM

I see Jews and British people.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]It's like a bad parody of a "serious political film." I had to turn it off.

I endured it and quite endured it, but this is not Sorkin's best by a long shot. It's contrived. Good performances across the board, and I did have a few, "Hell yeah!" moments but it's not as searing as his other work.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]I see Jews and British people.

You're disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 2:16 AM

I think SBCohen will get nominated too.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 7:45 PM

R13, yeah, and not convincingly. I struggled to picture Eddie Redmayne, the Eton-educated, Cambridge History of Art graduate as a disenfranchised revolutionary. It was hard and his acting didn't make it any better.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 9:45 PM

Loved it. The reality at the time was so insane that Sorkin really didn't need to change much. The judge was a biased nut job.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 10:06 PM

That was Mark Rylance? I had no idea while I was watching. Truly excellent acting. I think this is one of Sorkin's best screenplays yet. I'm a huge fan of his work. SB Cohen and Jeremy Strong were wonderful. Strong provided the few moments of humor. Eddie Redmayne did a good job from my perspective, but then I don't know what Tom Hadyn is like in real life. I also find Redmayne to be likable in general.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2020 3:08 AM

The Chicago 7 through the eyes of the West Wing with Sorkin's painful dialogue. I might watch it as a joke.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2020 4:06 AM

I liked it until the "a-ha!" moment when Hoffman says something like "I've never been on trial for my thoughts before." Intent is an element in a lot of crimes, including inciting a riot, so that argument fell flat for me.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2020 10:15 PM

Huge number watching it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2020 11:20 PM

Loved Rylance, Langella and Michael Keaton. Three terrific pieces of casting.

Did Hayden really read all five thousand names as part of his statement?

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2020 11:26 PM

I don’t understand the posters who didn’t recognize Rylance and Cohen. That’s exactly what they look like. There weren’t Prosthetics or anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2020 7:29 AM

"I liked it until the "a-ha!" moment when Hoffman says something like "I've never been on trial for my thoughts before." Intent is an element in a lot of crimes, including inciting a riot, so that argument fell flat for me."

I thought the Ruben character said it. In any case, how many times was Ruben and/or Hoffman on trial for intent?

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2020 8:30 AM

Cohen wasn't consistent with his accent. That was really noticeable. I have never gotten the appeal of Eddie Redmayne.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2020 11:21 AM

I usually like Sorkin but trying to wedge the actual events into Sorkin-world took the piece in weird places.

The trial was really dramatic, so you wonder why so much (like the prosecutor's sympathy for the defendants and the female undercover agent) had to be added. And also why so many dramatic events were soft sold. (Bobby Seale was bound and gagged for a few days, not for five minutes as the film presents it.)

The actors were great, but that screenplay was just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2020 12:05 PM

And Ramsey Clark appearing in the courtroom? Why not have LBJ and Nixon testify as well?

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2020 12:05 PM

When Bobby Seale came to Connecticut for his trial I was in High School there. The Black Panthers came into our school-I don’t remember why-but I clearly remember a teacher shielding my friend and I in the hallway as they passed. I do remember there was no violence.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2020 12:32 PM

Is that Max Adler as the bear biker in the OP's post?

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2020 12:38 PM

Was William Hurt in this?

Enjoyed the film despite not knowing anything about the history of the case but left with more questions along the lines of "surely it didn't happen like THAT?".

Disappointed they didn't include "Married Jane Fonda" in the list of Tom Hayden's post trial accomplishments

If this does get Oscar noms I'd love see Baron Cohen for Best Actor and Langella for Best Supporting. Nothing for Mark Rylance as he's an Israel obsessed Corbyn supporter who felt the need to tell Jews he knows more about antisemitism than they do.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2020 12:43 PM

R37...uhhh...Ramsey Clark WAS a witness at the trial in 1969. Why are you questioning this?

R40, William Hurt was scheduled to play John Mitchell but he dropped out a week before he was supposed to work.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2020 4:10 PM

R41, I see that Ramsey Clark did take the stand in his voir dire. I had always thought this was done in chambers.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2020 7:45 PM

All actors will be submitted as Supporting, which is unfortunate for everybody except Mark Rylance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 26, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]More English people playing American people.

They work cheap.

by Anonymousreply 44October 26, 2020 11:07 PM

R44 = idiot

by Anonymousreply 45October 26, 2020 11:08 PM

Everyone is being put up for Best Supporting for awards season. That works for this piece because everyone's role seemed equitable for the most part (Yahya Abdul Mateen as Bobby Seale being the exception).

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2020 1:53 AM

I really enjoyed this and hope that both Frank Langella and Mark Rylance are nominated.

by Anonymousreply 47November 14, 2020 9:03 PM

I enjoyed it. Typical Sorkin. Smart dialogue, somewhat corny at times. DIrection was flat. And Sasha Baron Cohen is 20 years too old for the role!

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2020 1:00 PM

Mark Rylance will be nominated for a Suppprting Actor Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2020 10:12 PM

I'm watching now!

Fuck the motherfuckers up!

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2021 12:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!