Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Danny Thomas a WASP

I mean was he meant to be a convincing WASP on those two sitcoms, The Danny Thomas Show and Make Room for Daddy? He played Danny Williams. He was the most Arab looking guy around. How did Americans respond to that? And his children were blond with little turned up noses. They didn't resemble him at all. I guess people just accepted it. But it is a form of Arab erasure.

by Anonymousreply 132July 26, 2020 6:11 PM

Arabs are white now. Get with the program.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2020 9:07 PM

People didn't question it. Diversity was more acceptable than today.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2020 9:11 PM

I've know white and brown Arabs, sometimes in the same family. But Arabs are definitely "other" for many Americans since 9/ 11. Back then, maybe not so much. Danny was white but had strong Semitic features and seemed to playing a WASP. The name Williams alone. He wasn't playing Danny Nasr.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2020 9:12 PM

Most Arabs are indistinguishable from Jews in the middle east.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2020 9:13 PM

Most Hispanics that don't derive from Mexico or Central America also appear white.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2020 9:15 PM

So he was playing an assimilated Jew who had changed his name? And apparently the children had nose jobs at birth and dyed their hair. Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2020 9:15 PM

For the last time, OP, Danny Thomas was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2020 9:18 PM

There has been lots of European and Middle eastern intermarriage in Israel within the last 60 years. However, the first wave of Jewish immigrants to America were mostly of European descent.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2020 9:19 PM

R8 needs to look up the meaning of the phrase non sequitur.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2020 9:21 PM

LEBANESE, BLANCHE

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2020 9:22 PM

R9 Was responding to R6 idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2020 9:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2020 9:23 PM

I think Marlo looks of mixed ethnicity, as pretty as she is. Danny Thomas did a lot of good.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote]So he was playing an assimilated Jew who had changed his name?

I don't think his character was supposed to be Jewish?

Danny Thomas was of Maronite Lebanese Christian descent and attended St. Francis de Sales Church in Toldeo. He went to Catholic schools and was was confirmed in the Catholic Church by the bishop of Toledo, Samuel Stritch...Elaine Stritch's uncle!

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2020 9:30 PM

What are you talking about?

Danny Thomas often mentioned his Lebanese heritage on his show.

There was even the character of Uncle Tonoose his uncle from Lebanon.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2020 9:30 PM

Ok, fine, but why the name and the blond children. My guess is Danny decided to Lebanese it up once they got going but originally he was supposed to be WASP. More power to him for coming out.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2020 9:34 PM

Danny was like Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2020 9:34 PM

So in a metaphorical sense Danny Thomas was lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2020 9:35 PM

People frequently changed their names back then to sound "more American" R16

And to avoid job discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2020 9:37 PM

[quote]My guess is Danny decided to Lebanese it up once they got going but originally he was supposed to be WASP.

Well, your guess is wrong. Being Lebanese was part of his shtick and part of the show.

[quote]Ok, fine, but why the name and the blond children.

How stupid can you be?

His son on the show has light hair....as does the kid's mother. Duh.

And people changed there name...as they still do today.

No one thought Dean Martin was anything other than Italian. It was part of his act.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2020 9:39 PM

their

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2020 9:39 PM

Uncle Tonoose at 0:58

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2020 9:48 PM

Danny Thomas' wife was Italian.

Not all Scandinavians are blonds. Not all Jews look like Arabs. Not all Spanish look like Indians, Arabs, or Black. Not all Irish have red hair.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2020 10:20 PM

Television was in it's infancy, the shows had great writers and actors that could deliver the lines. Protesters weren't being paid to boycott the shows because of made up b s like today. Yes it was a different day and age.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2020 10:41 PM

None of that would have happened though if it wasn't for Desi Arnaz. If I Love Lucy hadn't been as successful as it was they never would have let Danny do his show.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2020 10:45 PM

You mean he wasn’t I talian?

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote]But it is a form of Arab erasure.

That's a think now?

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote]None of that would have happened though if it wasn't for Desi Arnaz. If I Love Lucy hadn't been as successful as it was they never would have let Danny do his show.

By the late 1940s Danny Thomas was a bigger star than Desi Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2020 10:49 PM

R17 I doubt most on this site know have a clue about your image :)

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2020 10:54 PM

Thomas definitely was't Anglo-Saxon and he wasn't Protestant. He was Catholic. The Middle East has numerous Catholic sects, some of which follow an Eastern orthodox rite and even allow priests to marry in some cases, but are loyal to the Vatican.

Pan-Arab politics aside, there are deep social divisions in "Arab World". Persians (Iranians) think of tehmselves as seaparte from Arabs, ethnically. Upper class Egyptians see themselves as closer to the Greeks than to the Bedouins. Palestinians who've worked in the Gulf resent the way they are treated by the Saudis and others whom they see as little removed from living in camps with camels.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2020 10:55 PM

The house seen as Tom Selleck's police chief character is actually the home of the Bishop of Maronite Lebanese Church in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Danny Thomas belonged to that faith.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2020 11:00 PM

Danny Thomas, born Amos Muzyad Yaqoob Kairouz, in Deerfield, Michigan, his parents were Maronite Lebanese Christian immigrants from Lebanon.

Thomas was raised in Toledo, Ohio, attending St. Francis de Sales Church (Roman Catholic), Woodward High School, and finally the University of Toledo, where he was a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.. Thomas was confirmed in the Catholic Church by the bishop of Toledo, Samuel Stritch. Stritch, a native of Tennessee, was a lifelong spiritual advisor for Thomas, and would later advise him to locate the St. Jude Hospital in Memphis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2020 11:08 PM

Stritch was a cousin of DL fave Elaine Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote] Persians (Iranians) think of tehmselves [SIC] as seaparte [SIC]from Arabs, ethnically.

Which is fortunate, because Persians are separate from Arabs ethnically.

Among many clues is the fact that they speak Persian and not Arabic.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2020 11:49 PM

[quote] People didn't question it. Diversity was more acceptable than today.

You can't truly be this retarded. He changed his name to hide his ancestry. Many people in my own family did that.

There are so many idiotic posts in this thread you'd think this was a yahoo comment section.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2020 11:51 PM

Back in the day you were either black or white, and so were the TVs, so I don’t think anyone thought of his race.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2020 12:05 AM

[quote]You can't truly be this retarded. He changed his name to hide his ancestry

You are a moron and you don't know what you're talking about.

Thomas started his career as Amos Jacobs Kairouz.

"After he moved to Chicago in 1940, Thomas did not want his friends and family to know he went back into working clubs where the salary was better, so he came up with the pseudonym "Danny Thomas" (after two of his brothers)."

Furthermore: being of Lebanese descent was part of his act.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2020 12:10 AM

Being Lebanese, Armenian or Syrian, meant you were subject to many of the same prohibitions as Jews. Covenants for real estate sales spelled these out in detail.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2020 12:13 AM

Thomas was Lebanese, and he was very clear about it on his sitcom. He had a couple of ethnic-relative characters--I particularly remember Uncle Toonoose, who was played I think by Hans Conreid. I think the shtick was that his character was married to a very patrician Wasp (Marjorie Lord?).

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2020 12:13 AM

He also recorded songs in Arabic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2020 12:18 AM

I’ll forever love him for St. Jude’s. And the laughs every time I see a glass-topped table.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2020 12:22 AM

His daughter Marlo Thomas played Rachel Green's very Jewish mother on "Friends"

Semitic stereotyping OP?

[still shocked that so many DLers had no idea that Aniston's character, a composition of every JAP stereotype ever, was supposed to be Jewish]

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2020 12:25 AM

Danny Thomas played a Jew when he did a remake of The Jazz Singer in 1951. The film also starred Peggy Lee.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2020 12:28 AM

^^ a composite of

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2020 12:29 AM

Marjorie Lord was supposed to be Irish on his show.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2020 12:51 AM

Danny Thomas was a Lebanese Christian. He founded St. Jude's Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2020 12:58 AM

He wasn’t an Arab, he was Levantine.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2020 1:20 AM

I remember when I was a kid I watched a show where i said the guest star, who talked with a German accent, reminded me of someone else. My mother said that’s Hans Conried, he plays Uncle Tonoose on the Danny Thomas reruns. I said no way, Uncle Tonoose has white hair and darker skin and talks different. It might have been the first time I realized the people inside the tv weren’t real.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2020 1:41 AM

Conreid was Jewish. Uncle Tonoose was a real person and a real character.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2020 1:43 AM

Looking at HansConried’s images on google I realize he was super gay.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2020 1:45 AM

Conried was half Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2020 1:53 AM

No!!!

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote]Danny Thomas played a Jew when he did a remake of The Jazz Singer in 1951. The film also starred Peggy Lee.

He also played Jewish songwriter Gus Kahn in "I'll See You In My Dreams," opposite Doris Day.

Oh, and OP--"Make Room for Daddy" and "The Danny Thomas Show" are the same program.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2020 2:18 AM

There were cast changes and a network change when it became The Danny Thomas Show. Then they used Make Room for Daddy for syndicated reruns.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2020 3:18 AM

I think we should bring back the word Leventine. By the way weren't the Petries supposed to be highly assimilated Jews?

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2020 9:50 AM

Well even if you believe him to be white (I do) he wasn’t Anglo-Saxton and he was Catholic so not a WASP.

It really isn’t that complicated, OP.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2020 9:59 AM

I meant was the character meant to be WASP. I would like to see a time line as to when the Lebanese parts start popping up. Maybe from the beginning but I am still not convinced that they decided to make him more Arab as time went on. Danny Williams, really? At least make him Danny Joseph or Danny Abraham, a name Christian Arabs actually have.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2020 10:03 AM

"I am determined to judge the 1950s by 2020 standards"

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2020 11:59 AM

Jean Hagen, the immortal Lina Lamont of Singin' in the Rain, played Thomas's wife for the first few seasons of Make Room for Daddy. Then she was replaced by Marjorie Lord.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2020 12:13 PM

Jean Hagan quit the show at the end of the third season, Marjorie Lord was not introduced as a new character until the end of the fourth season and by the first episode of the fifth season she and “Danny Williams” were married.

I’d like to see those first three seasons, but they are not part of the syndication package and are not available on any of the platforms I have looked at.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]I meant was the character meant to be WASP. I would like to see a time line as to when the Lebanese parts start popping up.

For the 100th time. His Lebanese heritage was always part of the show. Pick just about any episode.

Danny Thomas, Jean Hagen 1956

Go to 29:15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2020 1:06 PM

I commend Danny Thomas for being a proud out gay Arab man back in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2020 2:31 PM

I mean he was a Lesbian, right?

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2020 2:32 PM

Sorry, that should be 24:22 of the video.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2020 4:12 PM

Make Room For Daddy / The Danny Thomas Show featured DL fave Angela Cartwright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2020 5:38 PM

Angela Cartwright

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2020 5:39 PM

Danny Thomas was married to Jean Hagen on the show. Hagen was the mother of his two children, played by Rusty Hamer and Sherry Jackson. Then Hagen quit the show, so they made Danny a widower. He meets Marjorie Lord, who is a widow with a daughter, played by Angela Cartwright. Soon after that, Penny, the older duaghter goes off somewhere, not to be seen again till years later, played by an entirely different actress. (It was at the audition for this part that Mary Tyler Moore came in and wowed them, but Danny said nobody with a nose like MTM's could possibly be his daughter and she wasn't cast. Soon after, the producer, Sheldon Leonard, remembered her when the were casting Dick Van Dyle and the rest was history.)

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2020 2:16 AM

I don't get the Decades Channel in my cable offerings anymore but, when I did and they aired Thomas's show, I recall they did show the first few seasons from the start with Jean Hagen and leading up to and then through all the Marjorie Lord episodes. Unsure if it airs on that station and if they show the show's entire run still.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2020 2:39 AM

Oops, it's me R68 again--actually, that might've been MeTV that aired Danny's entire show reruns.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2020 2:40 AM

Danny Thomas was not Anglo Saxon and he certainly wasn't a Protestant.

Why would the ass OP bother?

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2020 2:49 AM

In many interviews I've watched, Danny Thomas was one of those very devout Catholics one can't not admire, regardless of what his views on that faith are. I was often struck by his stories of lighting candles alone in churches, and sort of bargaining with G-d.

I really respect his loyalty in his pledge to help children, and what he's accomplished with St. Jude. I think he was a very introspective and deeply spiritual man, as opposed to some Catholics going through the motions of some recipe for salvation.

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2020 2:56 AM

Did Jean Hagen quit due to illness, or was she tired of Danny Thomas, or both? I know she died just a couple years later.

by Anonymousreply 72July 23, 2020 3:01 AM

I think I read that she was sick of her character, and there was no where to go with it, so she upped and left, much to Thomas’ chagrin.

So they killed the character and made him a widower, to prevent Jean Hagen from every reappearing on the shoe.

by Anonymousreply 73July 23, 2020 3:05 AM

And it was a really big shoe

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2020 3:06 AM

Fun fact: Danny Thomas was on two episodes of That Girl.

by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2020 3:09 AM

Fun fact: Lucy and Ricky Ricardo were on an episode of The Danny Thomas Show.

by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2020 4:30 AM

Fun fact: Danny Thomas and cast were on an episode of Lucy Desi comedy hour

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2020 4:34 AM

[quote] People didn't question it. Diversity was more acceptable than today.

Yep, 100%, R2. Ironic, isn't it? And R35 is an imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2020 4:39 AM

Fun fact: Margo's sister and brother were on one episode of That Girl (the same episode, and Danny Thomas had a cameo at the very end of that episode).

by Anonymousreply 79July 23, 2020 4:47 AM

R79, MARLO, not Margo!

by Anonymousreply 80July 23, 2020 4:48 AM

Was he related to Helen Thomas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 23, 2020 4:53 AM

"Make Room For Daddy" is on COZI-TV every weekday morning at 6AM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 23, 2020 5:16 AM

Pre-nose job Marlo was on the first season of "The Joey Bishop Show" before they dumped all the regular characters and completely changed the entire premise. She played Joey's sister, Stella. DL fave Madge Blake was his mother. Of course Marlo was only on the show because Danny Thomas was the producer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2020 5:19 AM

With a name like Danny Thomas, I don't think people thought about it. He could pass for Welsh or something - maybe with an Italian mother for the big nose. I mean, even those 'in the know', he was Christian so all was well.

And they were fine with Groucho Marx and an army of Jewish people on early tv - why not a Lebanese Christian?

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2020 5:23 AM

My atep mother is Lebanese Christian. My mother is Swedish. Our dad is from England.

All the six kids in my family look alike regardless of who their mother is. You cant tell the difference, OP..

You are nutz..

by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2020 6:08 AM

[quote] My atep mother is Lebanese Christian.

Any relation to Amenhotep III

by Anonymousreply 86July 23, 2020 6:11 AM

[quote] My atep mother is Lebanese Christian.

Any relation to Amenhotep III?

by Anonymousreply 87July 23, 2020 6:11 AM

[quote] Samuel Stritch...Elaine Stritch's uncle!

[quote] Stritch was a cousin of DL fave Elaine Stritch.

Which one was it?

by Anonymousreply 88July 23, 2020 6:12 AM

Why are there so many posts on this thread essentially saying the same thing? Aren't posters reading the previous posts?

by Anonymousreply 89July 23, 2020 6:14 AM

Back then “ethnic” actors played characters of non-descript ethnicity all the time. We were supposed to buy that Maude was a WASP, too. And her husband. Like THAT was credible.

The most that would be done in that regard is have Jewish actors play Italian.

by Anonymousreply 90July 23, 2020 7:12 AM

[quote] The most that would be done in that regard is have Jewish actors play Italian.

That gives me a story idea. Picture it - Miami, 1983...

by Anonymousreply 91July 23, 2020 7:15 AM

Danny Thomas's family was Christian, not Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 92July 23, 2020 7:33 AM

R92, that has been established various times in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 93July 23, 2020 7:36 AM

I've never met one personally, but isn't Mr. Danny Thomas a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 94July 23, 2020 9:51 AM

Danny Thomas had a somewhat dusky skin tone, especially compared to European whites. In a time of black and white only film he appeared "white" enough that people would give him a pass. Same as southern Italians were initially not considered "white" by white Americans in part due to their darker skin coloring.

Desi Arnez as noted above got away with it also; though in color photography he clearly appears far more tan than the white image of b&w I Love Lucy days.

Besides Danny Thomas hardly was first white adjacent to play or whatever WASP in films or on television. Merle Oberon spent most of her career playing white British or even aristocratic roles (complete with RP clipped English), but was in fact of mixed race with fairly dusky skin. What couldn't be concealed by b&w film along with generous use of make-up was helped along by constant use of skin bleaching creams.

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2020 10:07 AM

[quote] Pre-nose job Marlo was on the first season of "The Joey Bishop Show"

Actually not, she already had her FIRST (of many) nose job before that show, it was just pre-more extreme nose job that we saw on That Girl. The pic below is pre-nose job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2020 12:22 PM

Lucy had to fight for Desi as execs didn't think a Cuban with an accent would be accepted.

And how did he repay her? Fucking anything with a pulse.

Oh well, she got a hot boy that was six years older. And he got a meal ticket.

by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2020 12:41 PM

Yes Rose, Amos Muzyad Yakhoob Kairouz was a WASP.

by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2020 12:41 PM

* Sorry... Desi was six years YOUNGER than Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2020 12:41 PM

Jesus, DLers must really be going out of their minds with boredom.

He was the son of Lebanese Christians. Arabs belong to the Caucasoid DNA group regardless of being on average several shades darker than Finns, unless they are North Africans and even then you'll see a surprising variation in shades, especially amongst the Christians.

Danny Thomas founded the famous children's hospital, St. Jude's, fulfilling a promise to the saint that he made when dirt poor and trying to break into show biz.

He doesn't look much different from lots of Jewish men.

Or is OP suggesting that as a Lebanese Catholic, he had no business portraying someone he isn't?

It's called "acting".

You know, OP, that Daniel Radcliffe isn't an actual wizard, right?

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2020 1:11 PM

Glass coffee tables apparently were the one place where he didn't think of God.

The Jean Hagen reruns were syndicated in the past--she was a better actress than Lord, but apparently a mean drunk. Lord's children became Scientologists---I wonder what that was about. She was raised Christian Science, which is weird enough.

by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2020 1:26 PM

All of this aside, the work Danny Thomas set in motion at St Jude gives him an eternal pass for anything as far as I'm concerned.

Even c*nty Marlo (keeping confused Phil prisoner and abusing the staff) gets the same thing.

St Jude is a miracle. The research alone is sooo far ahead of anything else in the field. And it's all free.

by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2020 1:27 PM

Name changing aside. "Thomas" is a common surname among Lebanese Catholics. Also "Joseph".

by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2020 5:22 PM

Also "Jacobs," which is what some in Danny's family used. Danny's nephew, Ronald Jacobs, had a behind-the-scenes role (usually producer or production manager) on many of the Thomas-Leonard shows (Andy Griffith, Make Room, I Spy, That Girl, Gomer Pyle, Van Dyke, et. al.) and others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2020 6:04 PM

Jacobs is a rather popular Assyrian name as well.

by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote] Why are there so many posts on this thread essentially saying the same thing? Aren't posters reading the previous posts?

They're the same users who said it before. They're trolls trying to get a rise out of people. Claiming this guy "hid" that he was "an Arab" and claiming he was Jewish.

Same troll, different email accounts.

Same thing is true for the U.K./European/American threads. Same troll, trying to start up trouble between these 3 groups.

Can you guess why?

by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote]The pic below is pre-nose job.

Yikes, what a dog!

She's apparently as awful inside as outside, but how they crafted "That Girl" out of THAT girl is truly a modern marvel!

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2020 6:44 PM

R107, Marlo is a wonderful person. How dare you.

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2020 6:48 PM

Young Marlo was beautiful. She should have stopped after the first or second rhinoplasty; she quite quickly slid into Michael Jackson territory.

by Anonymousreply 109July 23, 2020 6:55 PM

My mother was a crazy lunatic who always criticized people's looks. When certain celebrities came on screen she'd yell

"Look at that toupee!"

"That's a wig she's wearing in a shampoo commercial, dammit!"

She made us change the channel when That Girl came on.

"That nose! I can't stand it! Ew, she lopped off half her nose. She didn't get a nose job, she had an amputation! And then they gave her a cross eyed boyfriend! They're trying to kill us with the ugly."

by Anonymousreply 110July 23, 2020 7:03 PM

I'm shocked that people get more than one or two nose jobs! Really???

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2020 7:09 PM

Danny Thomas "This is Your Life" 1954.

Go to 25:43 to see Marlo as a child. Take a look at that profile!

Amazing that 12 years later she was cute stylish Ann Marie of "That Girl!". What a transformation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2020 7:12 PM

R110 Funny, I've known the type like your mum. Sometimes quite funny at first, but then they wear you out. Did your mum live long enough to see what little is left of her nose? It's crazy she can even breathe through that thing. Her nostrils are like grey alien slits now.

by Anonymousreply 113July 23, 2020 7:17 PM

Now young ladies like the Jenner Girls WANT to look swarthy Transcaucasian.

by Anonymousreply 114July 23, 2020 8:37 PM

[quote] how they crafted "That Girl" out of THAT girl is truly a modern marvel!

That was funny.

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2020 9:22 PM

[quote] Now young ladies like the Jenner Girls WANT to look swarthy Transcaucasian.

Well I never! I didn’t know Kim Kardashisn was a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2020 9:35 PM

A lot of us pass!

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2020 9:42 PM

I just saw Jean Hagen on an "Andy Griffith" episode from 1961. Her last appearance on "Daddy" was in '56. "Andy Griffith" was produced by Danny Thomas's production company. In fact, "Andy" was a spinoff from "Daddy," in a way. (More like a backdoor pilot.)

Anyway, she must have still been on good terms with Thomas et. al., if they cast her in "Andy" well after her departure from "Daddy."

by Anonymousreply 118July 24, 2020 4:03 AM

Danny Thomas was on Benson once. Then he was in a season-long Susan Harris sitcom called I'm a Big Girl Now, starring Diana Canova (from Soap).

by Anonymousreply 119July 24, 2020 5:45 AM

Even the worst of enemies can still work together in Hollywood if the money and the project are right

by Anonymousreply 120July 24, 2020 6:40 AM

Coming to this late so may be repeating info already stated. Danny Thomas was Lebanese. His wife was white anglo saxon American. Their natural children all had nose jobs if they happened to get Danny's nose. And - many Lebanese are Catholic. I think Danny was. St Jude Hospital is named after a Catholic saint. He founded it.

by Anonymousreply 121July 24, 2020 8:11 AM

Mr. Danny Thomas's only son Tony was producer of Golden Girls sitcom.

Just a bit of information, do with it what you will....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 24, 2020 8:33 AM

Danny Thomas liked to lie beneath glass coffee tables and have women shit on the glass standing over him. He called it Eggs Danny Thomas. Barbara Billingsly indulged his kink.

by Anonymousreply 123July 24, 2020 9:18 AM

I remember when Danny Thomas produced a tv show starring himself as a doctor because he always wanted to be a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 124July 24, 2020 2:43 PM

R121 (CPPD), are you related to C-3PO? If he gay or just British?

by Anonymousreply 125July 24, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]Danny Thomas was Lebanese. His wife was white anglo saxon American.

Wife Anglo Saxon? Not true. His wife was Italian.

Marlo and her siblings are half Lebanese, half Italian.

by Anonymousreply 126July 24, 2020 6:11 PM

[quote]Danny Thomas was on Benson once. Then he was in a season-long Susan Harris sitcom called I'm a Big Girl Now, starring Diana Canova (from Soap).

He was also on "It's A Living," another series from his son's production company.

by Anonymousreply 127July 24, 2020 6:13 PM

Between Danny, his son and Marlo...they must have pulled in a ton of money over the years.

by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2020 6:16 PM

The funny thing, or at least the unusual thing, about the Danny Thomas show, is what high-quality it was, and how funny it still is today. Just a slightly exaggerated twist on every day life, and it really worked.

I think the worst episode in the series was when the Ricardos came to visit, and Lucy and Ricky were so cartoonish and so unbelievable, it was jarring compared to the commonsense approach used on the Danny Thomas show

by Anonymousreply 129July 24, 2020 11:16 PM

High quality? Shtick like Thomas' spit-take.

by Anonymousreply 130July 26, 2020 2:50 AM

Very few spit takes; Used sparingly and to great comic effect.

by Anonymousreply 131July 26, 2020 4:38 AM

I watched two episodes of That Girl last night on one of those nostalgia channels. That hair! Those eyelashes! Those clothes! Little girl outfits & colored tights. It was truly awful.

Then Bewitched was on with a stunt actor flying through the air in a Superman costume with cameras cutting to closeups of Paul Lynde in a Superman outfit, with fans blowing his cape. (Oh god. Picture a fan blowing Paul Lynde)

21st century American tv has zombies, ice dragons, a child being sacrificed to a red god for a battle win. 20th century American tv had magic housewives, a magic sexy lady living inside a bottle & 19th century hill people living in a mansion in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 132July 26, 2020 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!