Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Male actors who failed miserably at being leading men

Who are they?

Tom Hiddleston

Colin Farrell

Dylan O'Brien

Ansel Elgort

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 310May 22, 2021 10:59 AM

OP = White Belt Man or someone as worthless as him

F&F these endless showbiz listmaking threads

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2020 2:20 PM

Funny how it's usually the closet cases who make successful leading men, like Tom Cruise.

Also, Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2020 2:22 PM

Richard Madden.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2020 2:23 PM

Alex Pettyfer.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2020 2:27 PM

Miles Teller

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2020 10:42 AM

DL icon Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2020 10:44 AM

Tye Sheridan from "Ready Player One."

Big budget Spielberg movie with Tye as lead.

Turned into a huge flop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2020 10:45 AM

G, no wait, she was quite convincing

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2020 10:46 AM

Jon Hamm

Sam Worthington

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2020 11:56 AM

Taylor Kitsch is the poster boy of this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2020 12:09 PM

I really feel sad for Taylor Kitsch and his action hero fiasco in 2012. He actually seems to be really talented but has never recovered from these two flops and does mostly smaller ensembles movies or TV shows for the Paramount Network (never even heard of it) now. He mentioned he had two 10 year contracts with Disney and Universal at the time and was probably already planning his superstar life with $15 million/movie roles when his whole career crashed within a couple of months.

Also sad that his peers at the time like Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth are huge superstars now, while he is mostly forgotten. Even his Battleship co-star Alexander Skarsgard who was killed off after 30mins is more famous now.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2020 12:25 PM

I think Taylor's doing ok?? He had that Waco series. And was also in the terrible American Assassin with Dylan.

Aside from FNL, he'll always be remembered on this site for The Covenant.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2020 12:45 PM

Zac Efron

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2020 12:47 PM

The guy in that Han Solo movie .

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2020 12:49 PM

R11 I agree, in that I don't think that Taylor is any less talented than any of the Bland Chrises. I think he has more charisma than all of them and is better looking as well. He just had the bad luck of being saddled with very ill-advised projects instead of basically being given a free "become a millionaire" pass from Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2020 1:00 PM

Taylor Lautner

Shia Labeouf

Emile Hirsch

Hayden Christensen

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2020 1:10 PM

Ed Helms

Jon Hamm

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2020 2:08 PM

Chris Hemsworth. Outside of Marvel all the films he’s lead have flopped. He’s great as Thor but unremarkable in everything else.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2020 2:10 PM

[quote] I don't think that Taylor is any less talented than any of the Bland Chrises. I think he has more charisma than all of them and is better looking as well.

It doesn't really seem to be as much about talent, as it does about box office draw.

And for whatever reason, audiences want to see Chris Hemsworth. I mean, I get the appeal. He's hot, he's masculine, and he has an incredible body.

Taylor has a handsome face, but that's about it. Other than that, he's kind of unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2020 2:13 PM

Henry Cavill

Beautiful as hell- just not able to takeover the screen.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2020 2:30 PM

I love Alexander Skarsgard - OMG, he was should have won SOMETHING for Generation Kill. He's another one who is beautiful but just can't dominate the screen.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2020 3:07 PM

Kitsch was the worst thing in THE NORMAL HEART. He must’ve bent over to get that part. Cute but awful actor.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2020 3:10 PM

"It doesn't really seem to be as much about talent, as it does about box office draw."

I think producers didn't really give Kitsch time to grow an audience before he starred in these big budget flops. He is also kind of weird and apparently not willing to play "the Hollywood game". Said he is not interested in dating actresses and showing up on red carpets or charity events unless he has to. He also lives in Austin and has been dating some bland local real estate chick for the past 10 years who looks like one of the Real Housewives of Orange County. I think that is all fine and ok if that is his choice, but also part of the reason why he will never become a household name or play a leading man again. He never cared to put his name out there and grow an audience and fanbase.

I also checked his Instagram recently and he has like 200k followers there which I think is really bad for an actor with his talent and work resume. Sadly, not much interest in him now.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2020 3:15 PM

Timothy Chalamay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2020 3:15 PM

Do leading men even exist anymore? Feels like I can count the current batch on one hand.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2020 3:16 PM

R25 I wish you would name them. I can't think of one right now.

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2020 3:25 PM

I agree about Skarsgard. Beautiful man, but he'll never be a huge box office draw like DiCaprio. He also doesn't seem to want that and often chooses smaller projects with a strong ensemble cast.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2020 3:26 PM

R26 Well, DiCaprio, Will Smith, Ryan Reynolds, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2020 3:28 PM

R27 Good point. Maybe he enjoys acting and doesn't need to be a STAR. I'll still follow him anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2020 3:29 PM

R26 That's your list of failures? OMG! Did you misread the title of this thread? The one who may qualify is Ryan Reynolds but even he pulled of Deadpool. No matter what you think of the others on your list, they all carried major movies.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2020 3:32 PM

^I think they were talking about actors who still qualify as real Hollywood leading men, not failures.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2020 3:41 PM

Eddie Redmayne. He's quite talented, but he doesn't have the draw to pull people into seats without an ensemble cast or project. That being said, who really does anymore that hasn't been established over 10 years?

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2020 3:45 PM

Maybe Taylor Kitsch coming out as gay could save his career and make him more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2020 3:49 PM

It's interesting how many men in the 40s and 50s were groomed to be leading men, but couldn't make it in film as such and ended up on TV as successful leading men carrying a show. Guess it's easier to do that on TV than the movies. To wit: Guy Madison, Rory Calhoun, Ty Hardin, Robert Conrad, etc.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2020 3:52 PM

Eric Bana

Sam Worthington didn't really happen, but James Cameron is putting him in AVATARS 2 - 5.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2020 4:28 PM

R34 Great point! James Garner was one of the few who could toggle between TV and movies. Others- I'm thinking Steve McQueen and Lee Marvin - started in TV and made the leap to movies.

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2020 4:29 PM

Apparently Garner had a long term relationship with an unknown male actor. And supposedly sanctioned by Mrs. Garner.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2020 5:01 PM

R37 Good for him! Sally Field commented that he was the best kisser of all the actors she had to smooch on film.

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2020 5:06 PM

You rang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2020 5:10 PM

I read an article a couple of years ago (Esquire, Rolling Stone?) about Kitsch and it reflected the same observations as R23; kind of weird, wasn't willing to play the game, had some $$ and a nice home, but didn't care about being a "stah", and was perfectly happy living a quiet life in Austin. Seemed disappointed about the big box office flops, but not exactly crushed by it all. He came across as kind of flaky, but as a mostly grounded person

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2020 5:13 PM

That’s his problem, R40: being a star actually takes hard work. He just wanted to sit back, be a pretty white guy and let everything come to him. It got him a couple million and a nice house, and that’s that. Many of the guys on this list are here for the same reason: they don’t have the work ethic of men like Tom Cruise and Denzel Washington.

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2020 5:19 PM

I don't blame Taylor, R41.

If I could make a few million, I'd buy a nice house, bank the rest, and live off the interest for the rest of my life.

Some actors have a need to be famous and have attention all the time.

Then there are some who are just in it for the money.

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2020 8:07 PM

R7 Ready player one was a hit novel, it's a combination of being very entertaining and having a good touch of nostalgia, it connected with a lot of 80's kids.

But if you strip the novel of all it's 80's references you get a ver conventional adventure. Even the romance it's very conventional and cliche.

I don't think what makes the novel a hit translates well into a film

R3 Maybe not on film, but he was the lead on a hit tv show and it worked really well.

R41 If the hard work was only giving your best and promoting the shows with interviews it'll be one thing, but at least when you are promoted to possible next big thing you practically give up your life, suddenly your private life is simply another way to promote yourself and your work, and by private i mean real and fake. The number of actors who date their costars during the promotion of a film only to break up (because their schedules avoid them to keep their beloved relationship) is too high to be believable (curiously the people who really fuck their costars generally avoid let the public know those relationships).

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2020 8:08 PM

I actually think Kitsch has a good work ethic, just not the right kind to succeed in Hollywood. He was a young unknown actor who was living in Austin most of the time, dating unknown locals and not willing to really put himself out there at the right time. Networking, meeting other actors and producers, attending red carpet and industry events, being active on social media and promoting his work and himself, (fake) relationships to rise his profile etc. He signed two 10 years contracts with Disney etc. so he was definetely aiming for Hollywood superstardom at the time, but he obviously didn't realize that it is hard work and you can't hide in Texas and avoid "the Hollywood game". I remember he was rumoured to be dating his co-star Rachel McAdams a couple of years ago and his name was suddenly everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2020 9:02 PM

[Quote] He also lives in Austin and has been dating some bland local real estate chick for the past 10 years who looks like one of the Real Housewives of Orange County.

I heard his relationship with Minka was toxic. Apparently the cast/crew of FNL had to stage an intervention.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2020 1:36 AM

R34 Rory Calhoun was a stud. i was reading about his criminal youth history and how he actually stumbled into acting, despite being born in LA.

How about William Petersen too? Meagre movie career (only his big 3 that DLers like to cite), but he carried CSI for 9 years! He had a captivating screen presence but too chunky for movies!

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2020 1:54 AM

[quote] He signed two 10 years contracts with Disney etc. so he was definetely aiming for Hollywood superstardom at the time, but he obviously didn't realize that it is hard work and you can't hide in Texas and avoid "the Hollywood game".

Hmm. I have an interesting comparison for you.

Both Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles were born in Texas, and both live in Austin now.

And they both have been prominent working actors for 15 seasons of Sueprnatural.

They attend Hollywood events and ComicCons and Jensen even went to the Oscars last year.

Yet they are both able to maintain side businesses in Austin, and they live pretty quiet lives there, when they're not filming Supernatural.

So I would have to contend that it is possible for an actor to have both a successful Hollywood/acting career, and still be able to maintain a pretty chill and quiet life in Texas, or anywhere else that they choose to live.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2020 2:40 AM

R47 uhh Taylor might have a different definition of the word [italic] success [/italic].

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2020 3:55 AM

[quote] uhh Taylor might have a different definition of the word success

You mean like, "not currently working?"

Because both Jared and Jensen have been working/acting steadily and consistently for 15 years straight.

Can Taylor say the same?

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2020 4:22 AM

Taylor Kitsch had an amazing body but was too "special" looking in the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2020 4:28 AM

[Quote] Because both Jared and Jensen have been working/acting steadily and consistently for 15 years straight.

On a CW show...

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2020 4:29 AM

I think I win this thread, boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2020 4:30 AM

Work is work, R51.

And they are both getting $125,000 per episode. On the CW.

R50, Jared Padalecki has an amazing body too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2020 4:36 AM

R53 now you just sound like an unhinged Supernatural fan.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2020 4:41 AM

This guy. Even co-starring with DL fave Kate Hudson couldn't help!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2020 4:47 AM

Yeah I could give a crap about the current crop like Reynolds or Hemsworth...they’re certainly cute enough, but something’s missing. The excitement isn’t there. Just the hype.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2020 4:58 AM

[quote]G, no wait, she was quite convincing —M

Better than M was at playing a rabbi. The phrase "oy gevalt!" comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2020 5:03 AM

Jon Hamm. Needs to stick with t.v. cameos and commercials. Getting so desperate he's rebooting Fletch.

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2020 5:09 AM

Was Taylor Kitsch any good in True Detective? I only watched the first season with McBongo, who I thought was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2020 5:22 AM

I always get Taylor Kitsch confused with two other actors, Timothy Olyphant and Emile Hirsch. I realize they're all different ages, but there's a strong resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2020 5:31 AM

Kitsch started in 3 bombs in 2012 Battleship John Carter Savages (though he does have a lukewarm 3way with Blake lively and Aaron Taylor-Johnson)

Three strikes and you're out!

Even though he lives in Texas, he's actually Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2020 5:34 AM

What about me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2020 5:38 AM

Jon Hamm😴😴😴

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2020 5:40 AM

(R62) thanks for that. Wow. Michael is damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2020 5:41 AM

Wowowowow!

Who's that at R62?

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2020 7:00 AM

[Quote]I heard his relationship with Minka was toxic. Apparently the cast/crew of FNL had to stage an intervention.

I think he was only dating Minka Kelly during the first season of that football show and she suddenly dumped him and moved right on to more famous guys like John Mayer, Chris Evans and Derek Jeter. They still had to play a couple on FNL for 3 more years and I have no doubt that must have been awkward and a toxic relationship. I think his fans thought she was a social climber and Kitsch wasn't good enough for her. Maybe that is why he chose to date this local chick on and off for the past decade. No more drama with gorgeous actresses.

[Quote]Kitsch started in 3 bombs in 2012 Battleship, John Carter, Savages.

These flops have been following him like the plague unfortunately. Imagine being in your prime (30s) and all people associate you with are three flops from a couple of years ago. He will turn 40 next year so it will get even more difficult for him to get good projects. Maybe he can ask his fellow Canadian Luke McFarlane if he can set up a Hallmark meeting for a Christmas movie.

[Quote]Because both Jared and Jensen have been working/acting steadily and consistently for 15 years straight.

Lol.

Jared Padalecki = 15 seasons on a CW show Taylor Kitsch = huge Blockbuster movies (flops)

Living a quiet Austin life is a great option if you've been working on the same CW show for years and have no future plans to fill movie theatres nationwide for a $200 million Disney movie.

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2020 8:19 AM

R65 Michael Fassbender

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2020 1:33 PM

Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2020 1:37 PM

And I mean, MISERABLY.

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2020 1:38 PM

Darren Criss

by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2020 2:06 PM

David Muir

Isn’t he an actor?

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2020 2:09 PM

Timothee Chalamet. Why are they still so hell bent on making him happen as a leading man? He’s a piss poor actor and butt ugly.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2020 2:15 PM

As much as I love the guy, we’ve got to put Charlie Hunnam on the list. After SOA he looked like he was ready to step up and a string of flops forced him to sit his ass back down.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2020 2:18 PM

As of right now, DiCaprio is in a sense the last leading man/bringing people to movie theaters type actor. I don’t know why he’s not even remotely attractive and hasn’t been an interesting, creative actor in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2020 2:18 PM

R72 Let's be honest, Chalamet is probably the most overhyped young actor, but even i think he is no lead man material he didn't try it yet. Most of his movies are ensemble movies or there are several main characters.

Not even Dune is a film carried by his character

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2020 2:18 PM

I’m convinced that Armie and his people will never stop trying to make Armie Hammer happen.

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2020 2:22 PM

Jude Law

Jake Gyllenhaal

Jon Hamm

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2020 2:28 PM

R77: With Jude Law, he was in everything in 2004. Pretty much all of his movies bombed. It became a running joke.

by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2020 2:30 PM

Chris O'Donnell

Chris Pine

Jonathon Schaech

Henry Cavill

Brandon Routh

Chris Hemsworth

Liam Hemsworth

Benedict Cumberbatch

Michael Fassbender

Jamie Dornan

by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2020 2:33 PM

Crispin Glover

by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2020 2:35 PM

I wasn’t sure if Jon Hamm actually had a shot, but that’s because the movies he headlined bombed so hard that I never even heard of them.

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2020 2:36 PM

Jon Hamm was so good in Mad Men, but I've never liked him in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2020 2:45 PM

Jon Hamm was so good in Mad Men, but I've never liked him in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2020 2:45 PM

Jared is another “stud” with toothpicks for legs.

by Anonymousreply 84July 22, 2020 2:48 PM

Miles Teller is burning bridges left and right. Bad attitudes can sink a promising career.

by Anonymousreply 85July 22, 2020 2:49 PM

R75 He was lead in that abysmal Henry V adaptation, but I don't know whether that had a theatrical release. He was awful, and utterly unbelievable as either young wastrel/pussy hound Hal or reformed warrior-king Henry. I kept wondering how he could even heft a sword.

by Anonymousreply 86July 22, 2020 3:11 PM

Love him or hate him but we're stuck with DiCaprio as the de facto leading man.

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2020 3:52 PM

Can anyone carry a movie these days?

by Anonymousreply 88July 22, 2020 4:06 PM

I wish Jesse metcalfe were in every movie. He's such visual candy, especially now with a bit of dad bod.

by Anonymousreply 89July 22, 2020 4:10 PM

r47 I don't think Jensen was actually at the Oscars, only at one of the parties per the invitation of that girl from Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 90July 22, 2020 4:39 PM

The question is-what makes a Movie Star? Is Mark Wahlberg a “Movie Star” because some of his movies have made money and he’s in “franchise“ popcorn flicks? Is Jude Law NOT one because he chooses quirky, low-budget indies to practice his craft in? Law has had substantial critical acclaim, while Wahlberg has had very little. What’s the difference between a Movie Star and a mere famous actor?

Talent? Looks? Charisma? Sex appeal? Hype? Longevity? Popularity? A good agent? Probably some combination of all of these things. It’s a most subjective science! Who you think fits the mold probably depends on where you see these things in order of importance.

by Anonymousreply 91July 22, 2020 4:47 PM

Not sure we need leading men anymore if Hollywood just keeps popping out superhero franchise after superhero franchise for another decade. All these Chrises basically look the same and are interchangeable. Pretty face and muscular body that looks good in spandex is basically all they need.

by Anonymousreply 92July 22, 2020 4:50 PM

[QUOTE] Jon Hamm was so good in Mad Men, but I've never liked him in anything else.

He had ONE good role outside of Mad Men and that’s as the FBI agent chasing Ben Affleck in “The Town.” Don’t tell me you didn’t like him in that, R82.

by Anonymousreply 93July 23, 2020 12:16 AM

R37, where did you hear that about Garner?

by Anonymousreply 94July 23, 2020 12:18 AM

(R93) he still didn't stand out in it. I was too busy watching Ben Affleck and Jeremy Renner.

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2020 12:19 AM

Michael Parks

by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2020 12:20 AM

Christopher Jones

by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2020 12:21 AM

Most of the men listed are working actors, they always have a gig. Movies, TV etc, they're always working.

Isn't working steady actually more of a goal for any actor, or actress, than being a lead performer or becoming a 'movie star'?

Character actors actually have more longevity because they don't have to worry about losing their beauty or getting older, their beauty and age never hindered them from getting hired for roles in the first place!

by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2020 12:23 AM

A lot of these actors hitting middle age. It's going to be harder for them to get roles. Especially if you're not making the studio money.

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote]A lot of these actors hitting middle age. It's going to be harder for them to get roles. Especially if you're not making the studio money.

Are you serious? If all these actors had going for them were their good looks, that means they weren't much of an actor to begin with.

The roles won't dry up for the real actors, the men with talent. Not if they start marketing themselves as character actors. Lots of actors and actresses have lost their youthful looks, yet the performers with actual talent, are now being hired for NetFlix and cable series. Helen Mirren became more famous in middle age!

Jude Law is no longer a pretty boy, but he's a good actor, he will probably be working a long time.

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2020 12:46 AM

Drunken hot mess Lawrence Tierney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2020 12:54 AM

R99: They are way more 50 and 60 year old actors working than 50 and 60 year old actresses.

by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2020 12:57 AM

A lot of these guys are so ungrateful that they're working actors. There are SAG members that would kill to be where they're at.

by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2020 12:58 AM

Dawson. He was always a supporting actor.

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2020 12:58 AM

[QUOTE] Isn't working steady actually more of a goal for any actor, or actress, than being a lead performer or becoming a 'movie star'?

NOPE. Believe me, these guys want to be the top big dick alpha dog. They’re all highly competitive, egomaniacal babies who haggle over things like the size of their trailer, the kind of food and drinks in their trailer, whose name comes first on the movie poster, who pays for their personal trainer, etcetera etcetera. They get plastic surgery and hair transplants. They keep track of EVERYTHING their peers do and want to do it better (including and especially women), and they crave recognition, so I find it hard to believe that they don’t mind merely settling for consistent work rather than dominating their field. Nobody’s handing out awards for “Best Steady Working Actor.”

by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2020 1:12 AM

Billy Campbell

by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2020 1:44 AM

@R55 is creepy-frightening.

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2020 1:58 AM

[Quote]The roles won't dry up for the real actors, the men with talent. Not if they start marketing themselves as character actors.

Most movies focus on young guys in their 20s and 30s though. Especially most action movies. I remember people criticised Cruise for playing a fighter pilot in the upcoming Top Gun sequel bc it is just ridiculous that a guy in his late 50s would still fly jets (his Mission Impossible movies are equally ridiculous at his age). There are still tons of roles for older men, but you probably play a middle aged husband or a secondary character instead of the hot young lead (and make less money than in your prime).

Maybe the next generation has some future leading men. Alexander Ludwig, Bill Skarsgard, Taron Edgerton etc. ????

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2020 3:27 AM

[R92] I think this is bang on. You take one Hemsworth, scratch one Pratt and they all taste the same in the end. And it’s not even their fault really. Hollywood is almost completely artistically bankrupt. They keep cranking out those fucking green-screen CGI Marvel movies, where they are basically used as glorified, overpaid props. Boyish grins, muscles, surface charm, and an ability to run fast are the basic criteria. Not that there’s anything wrong with that per se. It’s just that after a steady diet of that for 20 years now, it’s getting old. Even people who enjoy those movies aren’t connecting with the ACTORS. Any attractive pair of biceps will do. And we all are choking on the steady diet of cotton candy.

When was the last time you actually gave a damn about a performance of any male actor under 35? Like really connected with a performance like we used to with Pacino or Nicholson or Paul Newman back in their heydays. For the most part, the character actors like Sean Penn and Daniel Day Lewis win the Oscars and that’s fine. But it wasn’t always that way. Performers like Bogart and Gable and Brando were leading men AND great actors. And we still talk about those performances 60 or 70 years later. The divide has never been more stark, and the days of true “leading men” really does seem over. What are you going to do-give Chris Pratt an Oscar for his latest hack-job in the 57th remake of Jurassic Park?

by Anonymousreply 109July 23, 2020 7:10 AM

Great analysis, R109.

Standards for movies nowdays are rock bottom.

by Anonymousreply 110July 23, 2020 7:32 AM

[quote] What’s the difference between a Movie Star and a mere famous actor?

Talent, basically. Brad Pitt is a movie star and is used to put bums in seats. Leonardo DiCaprio, while living the movie star life, is a famous actor given his craft is always central to his roles.

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2020 8:13 AM

R111: Pitt is nothing but a tabloid star.

by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2020 10:28 AM

"No matter what you think of the others on your list, they all carried major movies."

No. The point is the movies (barely, in some cases) carried them.

Now. Who is r55?

Why has nobody mentioned Mark Ruffalo?

Or amongst the younger men, any of the black actors? Certainly Michael B. Jordan qualifies. Lakeith Stanfield, Daniel Kaluuya are others. But not Chadwick Boseman- outside of Black Panther, despite getting the lead (which he did, a shocking amount of times) he is bland...and a little weird.

by Anonymousreply 113July 23, 2020 11:05 AM

Ruffalo never gunned to be a leading man, the closest he came was the romantic lead in 13 going on 30. He calls himself an indie actor (apart from his Hulk role), and puts in his own $$ producing his indie shows like his current HBO series.

He was trained at the Stella Adler school and knows he doesn't have the leading stud look.

by Anonymousreply 114July 23, 2020 12:13 PM

R102 I was going to say the same-. If you are a good actor age is not a problem, for an actress it is no matter how good you are (of course there are exceptions)

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote] Pitt is nothing but a tabloid star.

Oh, c'mon, Pitt back in the day was the true definition of a movie star, and with the right role, he could deliver.

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2020 2:05 PM

All of them. The box office star is largely a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2020 2:29 PM

R113 I think that's Riz Ahmed.

by Anonymousreply 118July 23, 2020 2:56 PM

Alden Ehrenreich

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2020 5:26 PM

[quote] Ruffalo never gunned to be a leading man... (he) was trained at the Stella Adler school and knows he doesn't have the leading stud look

Even average looking actors can be leading men.

Tom Hanks is a prime example. He's not really that attractive, but he is most definitely a leading man, and has been the lead actor in some of the biggest movies ever made. (See this year's Golden Globe Lifetime Achievement Award for the list of movies)

He's popular AND bankable.

[quote] Pitt is nothing but a tabloid star.

Do you mean Academy Award winner Brad Pitt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 23, 2020 5:47 PM

Aaron Eckhart

by Anonymousreply 121July 23, 2020 7:28 PM

Paul Lynde

by Anonymousreply 122July 23, 2020 7:36 PM

R109, You point out a major contributor: stupid movies.

Before they acted in B movies only for the money, great thespians as Olivier, Gielgud, McKellin, and Burton were stars of brilliant dramas. Even Branagh.

Studios care more for the export value now.

by Anonymousreply 123July 23, 2020 7:46 PM

Greg Kinnear

by Anonymousreply 124July 23, 2020 7:47 PM

Christopher Lambert

by Anonymousreply 125July 23, 2020 7:53 PM

Christopher Atkins. But I loved his cute little twinky ass.

by Anonymousreply 126July 24, 2020 5:32 AM

R126, you should watch Dallas, season 7, for free on IMDB TV. Chris is hot, shirtless, and hairless during that season.

by Anonymousreply 127July 24, 2020 5:33 AM

[R127] Oh I have. Trust me, I have!

by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2020 5:36 AM

Jake Gyllenhaal

by Anonymousreply 129July 24, 2020 8:39 AM

[quote]Do you mean Academy Award winner Brad Pitt?

Aww, how sweet. r120 thinks Pitt was given the Oscar for his acting.

by Anonymousreply 130July 24, 2020 8:36 PM

With or without Oscar, Pitt was a successful leading man for decades. Nothing last forever but he didn't failed miserably at being a leading man

by Anonymousreply 131July 24, 2020 8:56 PM

So handsome, but he cannot get arrested or get hired! He's now reduced to doing VoiceOvers on video games.

Well, he might get arrested, especially if the sexual assault allegations about him ever come to light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 25, 2020 6:47 AM

R132, who is he? No clue.

by Anonymousreply 133July 25, 2020 6:52 AM

R133, that dude with Kate Hudson is British actor Riz Ahmed. He had so much promise, but he's such a phony. He claims to be an activist, but he's such a poseur. He won an EMMY a few years ago for the HBO series The Night Of, then started to think he was going to be in-demand, it never happened. When he started out in the UK, he was in a lot of British indie films and several British TV series. In the US, he was in NIGHTCRAWLER, then ROGUE ONE and VENOM. He was in a Mira Nair film with Kate, but that bombed.

by Anonymousreply 134July 25, 2020 12:04 PM

How is he a poseur?

by Anonymousreply 135July 25, 2020 12:32 PM

Not everyone wants stardom. Bruce Campbell was offered a chance to be a Hwood leading man and he had the looks but he decided against it. He was happy doing some project, puttering around his garage and raising a family.

by Anonymousreply 136July 25, 2020 12:42 PM

[quote]How is he a poseur?

Riz has cultivated a very positive woke image, he's anything but, he's as fake and sleazy as most Hollyweird types. His entire image is totally contrived. He's such a good actor and super smart, he's duped so many of his fans.

On a his IG and Twitter, he goes on and on about how he's such a feminist and admires strong powerful independent women and other such bullshit. Yet, in his actual private life, he's hides every woman he lives with, expects them to sign NDAs and to basically keep their mouth shut that they are with him. He usually dumps them after 2-3 years. Like Leo DiCaprio, Riz seems to have new much younger GF every few years. Riz never brings these women on the red carpet, never acknowledges their existence. Hiding these women is laughable, especially as Riz is not well known or very famous.

Riz cheats on all his GFs, he frequently uses escorts and is on several hookup sites under a fake name, yet uses his own photos! The first thing he asks a potential hookup is if they are into oral. While in a relationship, he goes to these hookup sites and states he's just broken up with someone and is just "looking for fun". He has a porn and sex addiction.

Riz goes to one specific hotel in London to meet up with his escorts, he prefers tacky looking Russian escorts, the sleazier the better. For his GFs, he prefers younger biracial women who are 'exotic'. If he's ever with a South Asian woman, she must be light skinned.

If Riz spent as much time on his career as he does trolling for sex, he'd perhaps be more famous. Riz is pushing 40, he doesn't have much time left.

by Anonymousreply 137July 25, 2020 1:09 PM

Maybe he won't bring the girlfriends to the red carpet because of his Muslim background?

by Anonymousreply 138July 25, 2020 3:50 PM

"On a his IG and Twitter, he goes on and on about how he's such a feminist and admires strong powerful independent women and other such bullshit. Yet, in his actual private life, he's hides every woman he lives with, expects them to sign NDAs and to basically keep their mouth shut that they are with him."

Or maybe he's just private. You sound like a freeper who wants to complain about "woke" people. Maybe complain about the conservative Republicans who use the Bible to attack gays but ignore Trump's pussygrabbing

by Anonymousreply 139July 25, 2020 4:28 PM

Jeremy Renner

by Anonymousreply 140July 25, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote]As much as I love the guy, we’ve got to put Charlie Hunnam on the list. After SOA he looked like he was ready to step up and a string of flops forced him to sit his ass back down.

Out of all the men listed, Hunnam is the one I feel the most sorry for. Especially coming to the states fresh out of "Queer as Folk" he could have played in his choice of rom-coms, but he didn't want to be a pin-up. Even his character in Fox's "Undeclared" had more going for him than just being the hot guy. And during "Sons of Anarchy" he did interesting films instead of just taking on films roles that were similar to Jax. From the interviews I've read and seen he is thoughtful and serious about his career unlike so many other actors in his age range, but he just can't catch a break.

by Anonymousreply 141July 25, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]Or maybe he's just private. You sound like a freeper who wants to complain about "woke" people. Maybe complain about the conservative Republicans who use the Bible to attack gays but ignore Trump's pussygrabbing

Your post doesn't make sense, but I'll bite. Not a freeper at all, I'm a Liberal Democrat. You got all that from me discussing why Riz Ahmed is a total fake? You're really grasping. Riz's secret double life has been exposed at many forums, yet his fans ignore who he really is. His fans actually think he's a good guy who cares about people, he's nothing but a fake and poseur. People who know him personally and see how he's changed over the years have popped in and out of various forums to discuss how truly terrible he is. Ironic, as one of Riz's songs is called "Double Lives". He sure lives one!

Riz has cultivated a fake concerned image. Always posting about marginalized people and how we can help. Yet he rarely if ever contributes his own money. Most of his friends are rich white men he met while at Oxford. He's infiltrated that world many years ago, yet acts as if eh cares about the poor and the Third World, while wearing an $8000 leather designer jacket, which he got for free.

In fact, he was with one GF, who is a hard partying stoner trust funder, she's another fake who calls herself an 'activist', while living off her rich father. She's mid-30s and still unemployed. While they lived together in NYC, this GF was seen at many yacht and loft parties dressed in lingerie. Many thought she was an escort, she was at every one of these sex parties in NYC, she's close friends with the men who ran them. You tell me, what religious Muslim would date such a woman? Riz attended one party, in a mask! He sure didn't want his religious Muslim fanbase to see him at these sex parties.

The idea that Riz is a religious Muslim is a joke, as big joke as Drumpf claiming that the Bible is his favorite book! Riz is a hypocrite. He's private? Are you serious? That's another joke, a male feminist would not demand that every woman he dates, remain hidden and leave behind her life to remain hidden in his London apartment. He should be proud of a woman he loves. We should all be proud of a partner, Riz treats these women like mistresses. That's just it, Riz doesn't love anyone but himself. He also uses everyone, even his longtime friends, even his family. If you cannot help his career in some way, he drops you. Instead of bringing his live-in GF at the time to Buckingham Palace, he brought his mother! That was all show, for his Muslim fanbase.

During his last few TV series appearances (GIRLS) and films (VENOM etc) he was demanding to be treated like some sort of A-List star, meanwhile, few people know who he is. He was trying to change script lines and other nonsense. He was badmouthing VENOM before it was released, saying it "Would bomb, it's garbage", yet when he had to do the press tour, he was praising the film.

After the difficulty on the GIRLS set, he publicly praised Lena Dunham, calling her a "genius", his publicists had to force him to do that as some sort of apology for making the shoot miserable for most of the people he worked with on that episode he was in.

His Muslim stance is a total joke, how can he claim to be a practicing religious Muslim, especially as he drinks alcohol, takes drugs, has sex outside of marriage and lives with every one of his GFs? Any truly religious person cannot pick and choose what tenets of the religion they will practice. Why lie about being a Muslim? To get more Muslim fans, that why. I feel bad for his Muslim fans who think he's the real deal.

You can argue with me all you want, but I stand by my facts about this man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 25, 2020 10:51 PM

Jeremy Renner's career tanked after he got in a fight over a ladyboy in Thailand.

After he was outed there, he bearded up with some lady.

Then he got busted for assaulting her and making threats against her (probably for wanting to out him).

That's when his career was finished.

by Anonymousreply 143July 25, 2020 10:56 PM

r142, maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on "forums"

That's like the fraus on the Entertainment Lawyer site saying they're going to boycott a star because the Entertainment Lawyer said he's sex trafficking toddlers

by Anonymousreply 144July 26, 2020 12:42 AM

R142, we don't care about this Riz nobody. Please move on.

by Anonymousreply 145July 26, 2020 12:45 AM

Theo James

by Anonymousreply 146July 26, 2020 12:51 AM

R142 is one of the most over-the-top posters on that Lipstick Alley thread about Riz Ahmed. The writing style is quite identical is that poster who has kept that thread alive about Riz for years.

by Anonymousreply 147July 26, 2020 12:51 AM

Sam Waterston

by Anonymousreply 148July 26, 2020 12:53 AM

George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 149July 26, 2020 12:57 AM

Shia LaBeouf

by Anonymousreply 150July 26, 2020 1:03 AM

Dean Cain

by Anonymousreply 151July 26, 2020 1:05 AM

At one time Matthew Perry could have owned this thread

"Could I have been MORE of a failure as a leading man?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 26, 2020 1:20 AM

Peter Krause.

by Anonymousreply 153July 26, 2020 1:22 AM

[R147], you have no idea who the fuck I am. I could be someone Riz Ahmed has screwed over, he's screwed over many people. Interesting how you'd notice someone's 'writing style'. So many LSA people post here, honestly, just cut the bullshit. The thread titles here on certain threads are taken verbatim from LSA. You could be an LSA regular, please STFU.

The LSA Riz thread is actually where Riz's former friends are posting. There's lots of inside dirt from his former colleagues, former publicists and even a woman stylist who dressed Riz for some London event. The stylist revealed Riz's love of escorts. You have no idea what other sordid information has been revealed there.

Riz Ahmed has numerous sexual assault allegations out there. The women, who were fans he was canoodling with after some of his US concerts, never came forward because the women are religious, These women felt they'd be blamed. Victims always get blamed, never the man with the power and the money. Typical misogynistic bullshit. Now Riz is living with an American author, Fatima Farheen Mirza. DL fave Sarah Jessica Parker published Fatima's first novel. Fatima is supposely a practicing Muslim, she's pious and 'a good girl', meanwhile she's been living with Riz since last Fall. They are not married.

by Anonymousreply 154July 26, 2020 1:24 AM

R154 needs a pill. A great big one. Sod off!

by Anonymousreply 155July 26, 2020 1:26 AM

[R144] I actually believe a lot of what I read at forums, isn't DL a forum? You must be fairly new here. Most of what is posted here at DL is gossip and you queens always lap it up! Isn't this thread mostly gossip? Oh, the irony!

Over the years, a lot of what's been posted here at DL , especially about celebrities, was later revealed as being true. There was a dominatrix who posted here years ago, think her name was Magdalene, all her rockstar stories were true. I heard the same exact stories from people who work in the music biz. These people told me the same rocker gossip years before Magdalene ever posted here.

Forums are actually the best place to get the truth about celebrities, most forums are anonymous. A lot of people who work in show business post at forums, these people never reveal who they are. Yet, when you've got many showbiz insiders mentioning the same info, it's usually 100% true. As most forums are anonymous, lots of juicy informative can be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 156July 26, 2020 1:33 AM

[quote][R154] needs a pill. A great big one. Sod off!

Shouldn't you be in one of the hundreds of DL porn threads right about now? Eff off.

by Anonymousreply 157July 26, 2020 1:34 AM

R154/R156/R157, we all know that you're none other than the poster Sarsouraaa from LSA. Your tedious, bombastic style of writing is easy to detect.

Leave your obsession with Riz there. No one on DL gives a flying fuck about him.

by Anonymousreply 158July 26, 2020 1:41 AM

r156, datalounge isn't lipstick alley

by Anonymousreply 159July 26, 2020 1:44 AM

Brit edition: Joseph Fiennes, Jeremy Northam, Matthew Goode, Ben Chaplin, Matthew McFayden

by Anonymousreply 160July 26, 2020 1:48 AM

Billy Crudup, Ron Eldard

by Anonymousreply 161July 26, 2020 1:48 AM

Zac Efron

by Anonymousreply 162July 26, 2020 1:50 AM

The lovely Michael has only a few movies with top billing.

He had important roles between 1940 and 1958 but he often supported a stronger woman (he would tell us he's a character rather than a star but he also may be a homosexual and full of self-hate).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 26, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote][R154]/[R156]/[R157], we all know that you're none other than the poster Sarsouraaa from LSA. Your tedious, bombastic style of writing is easy to detect. Leave your obsession with Riz there. No one on DL gives a flying fuck about him.

😂😂 So now you seem to speak for ALL of DL, give it a rest. I cannot stand Riz Ahmed myself, but you cannot control what others post here. You can sure try, but you will not succeed.

I'm particularly tired of the obsession here with talent-free twink actors, as well as gross overly muscled ugly faced men.

You moron, you just outed someone, using their name! That person is a proud biracial lesbian, she's black and South Asian. Me? I'm a gay man, so doll, you are completely wrong. I don't post in the thread, but have read it because I was a Riz fan, not anymore. I stopped being interested in that fool about two years ago.

I've read the entire thread, I'm familiar with the names of the people posting, mostly because so few people are posting in that thread. The gossip in the thread has been amazing. The person you mentioned as well as others, cannot wait for Riz's sordid life to be revealed, they've been working behind the scenes to compile a list of the female fans Riz assaulted. Last year, there was supposed to be an article about the assaults in The NY Times, but the women he assaulted chickened out.

That person you mentioned has always talked about being a biracial lesbian, she's hardcore. She's definitely not me. 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 164July 26, 2020 1:59 AM

Sean Faris

Chad Michael Murray

by Anonymousreply 165July 26, 2020 2:03 AM

Josh Hartnett wins this thread, hook line and sinker.

by Anonymousreply 166July 26, 2020 2:03 AM

Jock Mahoney

by Anonymousreply 167July 26, 2020 2:30 AM

I think we’ve named pretty much every male actor.

by Anonymousreply 168July 26, 2020 2:36 AM

The equally lovely James may have been perceived as too intelligent to play basic leading men roles.

Or perhaps it was the nightmare of his private life. Perhaps because he messed up his initial contract or perhaps because he was married to a shrew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 26, 2020 2:49 AM

James Mason didn't fail

by Anonymousreply 170July 26, 2020 3:38 AM

R136 Bruce has worked consistently. I loved him on Xena.

by Anonymousreply 171July 26, 2020 4:32 AM

Sal Mineo

by Anonymousreply 172July 26, 2020 4:39 AM

(R141) I loved Charlie in Sons of Anarchy. He is still fairly young. Very handsome and talented. It could still happen for him unlike some of these actors.

by Anonymousreply 173July 26, 2020 4:47 AM

R168 Yes, and some of them didn't fail at being a lead man (at least during a while) and others never were on the position of being lead man.

Right now, apart of Leo and some actors in action films, the lead man per se barely exist.

Even more try to fill that void is quite dangerous, if you combine lead roles with character roles you are safe, but if you want the traditional lead role route you are destined to a big faliure, a couple of flops and you are out

by Anonymousreply 174July 26, 2020 10:42 AM

I've watched the Netflix "blockbuster" Extraction with Chris Hemsworth over the weekend. I guess this is the studios idea of leading men now and our future. A movie with absolutley no plot and Hemsworth trying to kill as many people as possible in 2 hours. I had to look up his age and was surprised Hemsworth is only 36. From his look in the movie I thought he was already early 40s. So I guess he has another 4-8 years of mindless superhero and action movie roles, but what will he do the next 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 175July 26, 2020 2:50 PM

They have very short shelf lives these days, r175. Isn't Chris Pratt over already?

by Anonymousreply 176July 26, 2020 3:10 PM

(R176) We can only hope. Chris Evans has a future though.

by Anonymousreply 177July 26, 2020 3:14 PM

R176 I think the main problem with Chris Pratt is that there's a clear dissonance between his public persona and his private one (and unfortunately for him his private one is very public now).

Anyway, he is in two franchises, so he'll be there for a while

by Anonymousreply 178July 26, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote]We can only hope. Chris Evans has a future though.

Chris Evans is a genuinely smart man. He'll outlast the decline of movie stardom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 26, 2020 5:01 PM

^ Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 26, 2020 5:03 PM

I bet OP and most of the posters on this thread are white guys in their 50s and 60s. Society is changing and the idea that only white guys exhibiting 'toxic masculinity'traits are suitable for 'leading roles' is thankfully dying or already dead. Good riddance...

by Anonymousreply 181July 26, 2020 5:16 PM

R181 = Joy Reid.

by Anonymousreply 182July 26, 2020 5:19 PM

r181, most leading men are still white

by Anonymousreply 183July 26, 2020 5:59 PM

R181 The problem with non white leading actors is exactly the same with openly gay actors. HW only cares about money, and there are some countries (China, arab countries) that are not so keen to non white actors.

I don't understand why HW doesn't give asian american actors more opportunities, they seem perfect for the asian market

by Anonymousreply 184July 26, 2020 6:29 PM

R174: People say that Leo is the last leading man type but I don't think there's any passion for him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 185July 26, 2020 7:25 PM

R185 Well, he is been a lead man for two decades and a half, way more than most careers. And i found his quest for an Oscar a bit pathetic. That can be excusable on a young actor like Chalamet, but he should be above that crap

by Anonymousreply 186July 26, 2020 7:37 PM

Timothee Chalamet. Please stop putting him in romantic roles and action things like The King.

by Anonymousreply 187July 26, 2020 7:49 PM

R186: His Oscar campaign for The Revenant was centered on how tough the filming conditions were. He shouldn’t even have been nominated for rolling around in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 188July 26, 2020 8:08 PM

(R188) Any movie he does he's nominated for something.

by Anonymousreply 189July 26, 2020 8:12 PM

Has Leo even worked these last couple of years? Last movie I remember is The Revenant.

by Anonymousreply 190July 26, 2020 8:14 PM

Well, he got the Oscar he's long wanted, r190. And he was the lead in that Tarantino movie they used to award Brad Pitt for his many years of service as a celebrity. Leo really is the last movie star.

by Anonymousreply 191July 26, 2020 8:28 PM

Darren Criss

by Anonymousreply 192July 26, 2020 8:49 PM

Christopher Atkins

by Anonymousreply 193July 26, 2020 9:20 PM

Criss hasn't even been cast in a leading man role in films, do you can't really say he failed

by Anonymousreply 194July 26, 2020 9:54 PM

if you can think of their name and put together a strong argument, they have succeeded in life and career and probably are very, very rich. Its a weird thing to suggest someone like Tom Hiddleston, who probably has earned $100 million off his Marvel work alone (or will hit that soon) somehow failed because he doesn't sell tickets like Adam Sandler did 25 years ago.

Show me an actor with an impressive unbroken string of hits, you're only suggesting they took zero creative risks and went straight down the middle.

by Anonymousreply 195July 26, 2020 10:06 PM

Ben Chaplin was being set up to be the new Hugh Grant.

by Anonymousreply 196July 26, 2020 10:34 PM

^ And he failed

by Anonymousreply 197July 26, 2020 11:19 PM

It's so obvious that they're trying to make Adam Driver the next DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 198July 27, 2020 2:48 AM

What about Russell Brand? He's completely vanished from the US.

by Anonymousreply 199July 27, 2020 9:59 AM

R194 same with Richard Madden, I don’t know how his name has been mentioned yet, when he has not been a leading man in film yet.

by Anonymousreply 200July 27, 2020 12:14 PM

R199 is that a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 201July 27, 2020 12:46 PM

Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Andrew Lincoln. (WHET to him? Did he fall off the planet?)

by Anonymousreply 202July 27, 2020 4:29 PM

Matthew Fox

by Anonymousreply 203July 27, 2020 7:30 PM

(R203) used to be so handsome. What happened to him, was it the booze? I know one of his co-stars was saying he was a woman beater.

by Anonymousreply 204July 27, 2020 7:39 PM

David Duchovny really thought he would become a movie star after he left the X-files.

by Anonymousreply 205July 28, 2020 5:33 AM

I'm sorry to say this, but Chris Meloni.

It just hasn't happened for him.

by Anonymousreply 206July 28, 2020 5:36 AM

Like all threads on DL, this one has gone off the rails. We’ve named every film and tv actor out there.

by Anonymousreply 207July 28, 2020 5:43 AM

That's because the list of those that made it is very short.

by Anonymousreply 208July 28, 2020 5:47 AM

David Caruso

by Anonymousreply 209July 28, 2020 6:32 AM

Brenton Thwaites? He got this huge buildup...then nada. I think that Ryan Corr is the next hot Australian actor.

by Anonymousreply 210July 28, 2020 4:30 PM

Caruso is a good one

by Anonymousreply 211July 28, 2020 5:00 PM

I remember going to see Jade with David Caruso. What a piece of s*** movie. I don't know who his agent was but that he didn't do him any favors.

by Anonymousreply 212July 28, 2020 10:51 PM

Dylan McDermott

Dermot Mulroney

Loren Dean

by Anonymousreply 213July 28, 2020 11:01 PM

Tom Hanks is a weird exception to the leading man concept. He's not really that attractive and doesn't have a ton of range but he keeps getting these hero roles.

by Anonymousreply 214July 31, 2020 10:09 PM

Tom Hanks is a James Stewart type, so I can understand how he became a leading man.

by Anonymousreply 215July 31, 2020 10:45 PM

D.W. Moffett.

by Anonymousreply 216August 1, 2020 1:50 AM

Jamie Dornan.

by Anonymousreply 217August 1, 2020 2:16 AM

Ben Whishaw, Ian McKellen, Tom Courtenay, Mervyn Johns

by Anonymousreply 218August 1, 2020 3:04 AM

Skeet Ulrich

by Anonymousreply 219August 1, 2020 4:33 AM

Tom Hanks was as cute as anything when he was younger. It's my understanding that he has a drinking problem along with his diabetes. That will age a person.

by Anonymousreply 220August 1, 2020 8:50 PM

Tom Hanks was as cute as anything when he was younger. It's my understanding that he has a drinking problem along with his diabetes. That will age a person.

by Anonymousreply 221August 1, 2020 8:50 PM

Norman Reedus. If it wasn't for Walking Dead he wouldn't be working.

by Anonymousreply 222August 1, 2020 9:53 PM

Bwahaha, r136!

by Anonymousreply 223August 2, 2020 6:04 PM

R221,Your point is? Hanks has been a leading man in comedies and romantic movies; has starred in dramas; has portrayed real-life heroes on land, on sea, in the air, and in the stratosphere; and has two Best Actor Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 224August 2, 2020 6:10 PM

R197, Ben Chaplin didn't stay "cute" like Hugh Grant did. I really liked him, though, and his weathered handsomeness, in the recent series "Press," but it wasn't renewed. I blame his co-star, the dour and unattractive Mrs. Tom Hardy, Charlotte Riley.

by Anonymousreply 225August 2, 2020 6:15 PM

R149, Are you joking?

by Anonymousreply 226August 2, 2020 6:21 PM

You knew George Clooney was leading man material when he was in Out of Sight. And the man won an Oscar. So I don't see how he qualifies as someone who failed miserably in becoming a leading man in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 227August 3, 2020 2:55 AM

George Clooney was top actor in Hollywood at one time. He was always the lead in all of his movies. He's won an Oscar and he's a billionaire. I don't particularly care for his opinions most of the time. But he's one of the few actors that can still deliver the goods.

by Anonymousreply 228August 3, 2020 3:04 AM

R228: Actually all of his latest projects have flopped. Money Monster, Hail Caesar, Suburbicon, Monuments Men, and Catch 22

by Anonymousreply 229August 3, 2020 3:08 AM

His track record is still better than a lot of the actors on here.

by Anonymousreply 230August 3, 2020 4:20 AM

Tom Hardy-har-har is too short for that gesture, the leading man. But I did like him in Child 44.

by Anonymousreply 231August 3, 2020 4:37 AM

Charlie Schlatter

by Anonymousreply 232August 3, 2020 7:00 AM

Mena Massoud

by Anonymousreply 233August 3, 2020 7:17 AM

Ellen DeGeneres

by Anonymousreply 234August 3, 2020 7:26 AM

Kevin Spacey failed at being leading in that Bobby Darin bio.

He sang, danced, directed, co-wrote and co-produced it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235August 3, 2020 9:08 AM

(R235) he was way too old to be playing Bobby Darin. It was almost embarrassing. The only good thing was he could sing. It was a vanity project for him. And he was a two-time Oscar winner so they let him do it. Now he probably couldn't even get a role as an extra on that movie.

by Anonymousreply 236August 3, 2020 2:44 PM

John Beck

by Anonymousreply 237August 3, 2020 7:37 PM

William Eythe was promoted as an up-and-coming star at Fox in the 40s but stardom didn't happen for him. He was a drunk, self-destructive closet case.

by Anonymousreply 238August 3, 2020 8:06 PM

Mr Eythe was doomed to fail with such an effeminate, ethereal surname.

by Anonymousreply 239August 3, 2020 8:39 PM

Ioan Gruffudd

by Anonymousreply 240August 3, 2020 9:43 PM

[quote]Tom Hanks was as cute as anything when he was younger.

Tom Hanks has never been handsome, even by his own admission. His selling point was that he was an everyman. He's on record as saying he was insecure because of his average looks, small chest and (supposedly) big butt.

by Anonymousreply 241August 4, 2020 6:07 AM

Jim Caviezel

Adrien Brody

Bill Pullman

Skeet Ulrich

Stephen Dorff

by Anonymousreply 242August 4, 2020 8:00 AM

Timothee Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 243August 4, 2020 2:27 PM

Hurd Hatfield

by Anonymousreply 244August 5, 2020 9:34 PM

I thought Taylor Kitsch was pretty good in John Carter. The producers didn't know how to promote the film, they wrongly gave it a generic name John Carter and failed in their marketing big time. Audiences didn't see it because they weren't sure what to expect. They should have named it John Carter of Mars and promoted it as a science fiction space action adventure. It's a very enjoyable popcorn film.

by Anonymousreply 245August 5, 2020 10:05 PM

I had to stop and think if I could remember any leading men in any film I've seen in the last ten years or so who didn't fail, and came up dry. They're mostly pretty terrible.

by Anonymousreply 246August 5, 2020 10:08 PM

Does playing a Nobbs and looking like a fellow qualify?

Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 247August 5, 2020 10:11 PM

Tom Hanks still drinks R220 . I was at an event with him and he was putting them away. He even said that he wished he could hang out all night with us and drink but he said he had an early morning set call. It was a Friday night and he wanted to leave by midnight. The friend I was with used to work with him back in the 80's and he joined our little group of 4 to hang out. I will say he's a really nice guy and I was tickled pink to be hanging out with Tom Hanks for a couple hours just like he was anybody else, but the drinks kept coming. No judgments cause I was drinking too.

by Anonymousreply 248August 5, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote]Was Taylor Kitsch any good in True Detective?

No, I really like him in general, but he was terribly miscast in that. He's not a bad actor at all - he was very affecting in FNL and scary as hell on Waco so he does have some range - but he is one of the few straight guys in Hollywood that cannot play gay convincingly at all. He is very left-wing and pro-LGBT rights and seems to have no problem with gay/bi roles, so I don't think he' s a homophobe, but he just for whatever reason can't sell it. He had the same problem on A Normal Heart.

The thing about Taylor Kitsch that I like is that he is genuinely rough around the edges and has no Hollywood polish at all. He was raised very poor in a trailer park in the Canadian boonies and was homeless, sleeping in ATM booths or his car and/or couch surfing for many years in NYC and LA before getting a break. Long term homelessness affects people in really odd ways sometimes. As someone who's been following his career since the FNL days, I think that has made him kind of eccentric. I read an interview where he let it slip that while he was waiting for his Austin home to be built, he simply slept in a tent in the woods on his property for a few months with his dog. He is an odd duck and he seems like a decent person, but I do think he's happier in those quirky troubled outlier roles for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 249August 5, 2020 10:30 PM

I would drink, too, if I was the father of Chet Haze.

by Anonymousreply 250August 5, 2020 11:30 PM

Was Taylor supposed to get his own movie as Gambit?? Or was it always going to be Channing??

by Anonymousreply 251August 6, 2020 9:56 AM

I can't remember exactly, but I think the original idea was for Taylor's Gambit to get folded into the larger original X-Men franchise and eventually have a romance with Anna Paquin's Rogue. I think Anna may have mentioned that she even had a chemistry test with him at some point, but then they got the idea that Gambit should have a standalone movie, then they decided to do it with a bigger box office draw of a name instead of Taylor. and then it sat in development hell for years until it was killed entirely after the Dark Phoenix box office bomb. I remember that Taylor's Gambit got mixed reviews. He did most of his own stunts and acrobatics which looked great on screen because of his RL athleticism, but the producers decided it would be "too weird" if he had too many Cajun mannerisms or accents, so the campy distinctive fun of the comic book character was IMO lost.

by Anonymousreply 252August 6, 2020 10:15 AM

Billy Zane. He had everything going for him after Dead Calm, but his ego and receding hairline did him in. I looked him up in Wikipedia and the Zalman King movie has been scrubbed from his history.

by Anonymousreply 253August 6, 2020 10:29 AM

I had a huge crush on Billy Zane. Then I forgot about him.

by Anonymousreply 254August 6, 2020 3:42 PM

Billy Zane was really Billy Zanetakos.

Why wasn't he a successful bald Greek movie star the same way Telly Savalos was a successful bald Greek movie star?

by Anonymousreply 255August 6, 2020 10:36 PM

Billy Zane's naked ass in 'Dead Calm':

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 6, 2020 10:48 PM

Billy Zane had derp face.

by Anonymousreply 257August 6, 2020 11:51 PM

[Quote]I read an interview where he let it slip that while he was waiting for his Austin home to be built, he simply slept in a tent in the woods on his property for a few months with his dog.

Taylor built his house in an exclusive gated community on Lake Austin. I doubt his neighbor would appreciate him sleeping in a tent like a homeless person in this affluent community. He also does not own a dog.

His career really is one of the most tragic in the last 10 years. I also followed him since his FNL days and sadly after that horrible 2012 disaster with 3 huge flops in a row it seems Hollywood has given up on him. He was only supporting actor on his last two movies and last worked on a TV show which wrapped last summer. He hasn't worked since and has zero projects lined up for 2020 or 2021. I read he fired his entire team after that floptastic year and signed with CAA, but I guess the damage is done and sadly permanent.

by Anonymousreply 258August 7, 2020 6:30 PM

Taylor Kitsch does nont currently have a dog, but he did used to have one or it might have been an ex's. And you can see the RV he purchased for driving around and sleeping out in the middle of nowhere on his IG. He bragged that it was a tent in an interview about 8 years ago, so it looks like he upgraded. But yes, I agree Hollywood has given up on him.

by Anonymousreply 259August 7, 2020 7:57 PM

Is it just me, or are all the good actors in US movies from the UK or Australia/New Zealand? What gives? They seemed better prepared for one thing with regards to training and stage work. And they can do American accents.

by Anonymousreply 260August 8, 2020 1:38 AM

Maybe you're confusing Kitsch with McConaughey r259 since they both live in Austin and McConaughey lived in a trailer for some time. Kitsch bought a million dollar waterfront lot in an exclusive community in Austin. Kitsch seems to enjoy the outdoors and motorcycle trips but that does not mean he lives in the woods like an hermit.

by Anonymousreply 261August 8, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote] Is it just me, or are all the good actors in US movies from the UK or Australia/New Zealand? What gives? They seemed better prepared for one thing with regards to training and stage work. And they can do American accents.

This is because historically, England and Australia have more rigid, disciplined acting schools than the US and they also get more American movies than the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 262August 8, 2020 2:10 AM

Dustin Hoffman

think about it

by Anonymousreply 263August 8, 2020 2:41 AM

I get it, R263

by Anonymousreply 264August 8, 2020 2:59 AM

R260 also cheaper to hire.

by Anonymousreply 265August 8, 2020 5:39 AM

Max Von Sydow.

(He had the leading role in that Jesus movie but all his Swedish movies were about intellectuals, losers and heretics)

by Anonymousreply 266August 8, 2020 6:36 AM

Alec Guinness was too bald and delicate (i.e.homophilic) to be a being leading man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267August 8, 2020 6:52 AM

Rupert Everett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268August 8, 2020 7:28 AM

Orlando Bloom

by Anonymousreply 269August 8, 2020 11:20 AM

Hart Bochner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270August 8, 2020 2:36 PM

"Alec Guinness was too bald and delicate (i.e.homophilic) to be a being leading man."

He was a leading man (granted, not in traditional romantic roles.....but he played leads)

by Anonymousreply 271August 8, 2020 3:52 PM

r270 Who?

by Anonymousreply 272August 8, 2020 7:01 PM

A DLer doesn't know who Hart Bochner is?

by Anonymousreply 273August 8, 2020 8:34 PM

He was delicious eye-candy but no leading man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274August 8, 2020 8:56 PM

R272 you haven't seen the Supergirl movie with DL fave Faye Dunaway???

by Anonymousreply 275August 9, 2020 4:10 AM

r275 Aaaahh Yes! Now I know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 276August 9, 2020 4:22 AM

[quote]Billy Zane had derp face.

He was the worst thing about TITANIC - one step above Snidely Whiplash. All he needed was a big mustache to twirl.

by Anonymousreply 277August 10, 2020 12:57 AM

^ The director of that movie is much more comfortable with machinery rather than human beings.

by Anonymousreply 278August 10, 2020 1:17 AM

R261 no, it was on a late night talk show around the time of the Battleship press tour, so it was definitely Taylor Kitsch, so I'm not confusing him with anyone else, but I defer to your info! Also, I have noticed that he has a tendency to overstate his roughneck ways lol I assume it's a macho bravado thing, and he's also not the most straightforward storyteller, so it may have been BS on his part. I'm sure he has enough money to live off supporting roles and forgettable miniseries for the rest of his life, but it's a shame we never saw that Gambit movie.

by Anonymousreply 279August 10, 2020 6:01 PM

[R202], you’re so right about Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Just watched The Postcard Killers, based on a James Patterson novel with on location shooting throughout Europe. Sucked. Lots of gaping plot holes, but he was the vacuum in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 280August 13, 2020 6:36 PM

JDM does not have a great reputation behind the scenes, does he? That can't have helped his career. I hate him on the Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 281August 14, 2020 1:37 AM

Ellen

by Anonymousreply 282August 14, 2020 1:51 AM

Taylor Kitsch owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 283August 14, 2020 2:13 AM

[Quote] JDM does not have a great reputation behind the scenes, does he?

????

by Anonymousreply 284August 14, 2020 2:17 AM

He’s been mentioned in other threads, but Brenton Thwaites. He seems very charming onscreen, but he hasn’t clicked with movie audiences. I haven’t seen his television series.

by Anonymousreply 285August 18, 2020 12:23 PM

Taylor Kitsch played a twink gay in The Covenant, a gay activist in The Normal Heart and a closeted gay in True Detective, but gets zero love here from DL queens? Harsh!

by Anonymousreply 286August 20, 2020 7:39 AM

R286 weren't all of them gay in The Covenant??

by Anonymousreply 287August 20, 2020 10:28 AM

R287 It is currently on Netflix and the gayest thing I've seen in a while. 😂 They're all apparently still friends in real life. I imagine them all walking around in their tiny bathing suits at some male bonding event 15 years later.

by Anonymousreply 288August 20, 2020 1:41 PM

On the contrary, R286, we have plenty of love for Taylor Kitsch, we're just keeping it real when we say he fits the bill for this thread. He's funny as hell, by the way. If you're into that absurd deadpan style of Canadian humor, I highly recommend his Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 289August 20, 2020 7:27 PM

[Quote] They're all apparently still friends in real life. I imagine them all walking around in their tiny bathing suits at some male bonding event 15 years later.

I don't know why, but that doesn't surprise me. One of them should post some photos of their bonding to instagram lol

by Anonymousreply 290August 21, 2020 1:42 AM

Since we've established now that Taylor Kitsch is the undisputed flop king of DL, can we talk about his love life? I tried to find out if he is married or dating anyone, but it seems he only "unofficially" dated his FNL co-star Minka Kelly almost 15 years ago, but besides that there is zero information about his dating history or pictures of him with a partner or female anywhere. He supposedly has a local girlfriend in Austin but is that some kind of code or does that woman really exist? Is Taylor Kitsch family?

by Anonymousreply 291August 25, 2020 12:28 PM

[Quote] Since we've established now that Taylor Kitsch is the undisputed flop king of DL, can we talk about his love life?

There was a rumour about something going on between Taylor and Melissa Benoist. Apparently her husband kept a close eye while they were promoting Waco and it made things difficult.

by Anonymousreply 292August 25, 2020 1:39 PM

r292 Melissa just can't keep it in her pants can she.

by Anonymousreply 293August 25, 2020 2:10 PM

Hmm, well that looks awkward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 25, 2020 3:09 PM

He dated a model named Jessica White after Minka, and the Austin girlfriend was an unfamous blonde. He was with that one for a long time, but they haven't been together in years either. He hung out with Rachel McAdams a lot during and just after shooting True Detective, but I believe they were just friends, both of them shot down dating rumors pretty vehemently. I don't think the press cares enough about him to follow his dating life anymore because there haven't been any rumors about him since the Melissa Benoist thing to my knowledge, but the ex husband in reference apparently beat her and was very controlling, so I don't blame her for getting her kicks where she could.

by Anonymousreply 295August 25, 2020 5:20 PM

R295 Melissa was already with Chris (not Blake) by this point.

by Anonymousreply 296August 25, 2020 5:25 PM

Scott Eastwood

He's so forgettable that I believe I'm the first to mention him in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 297August 25, 2020 5:26 PM

Has Scott Eastwood been a leading man in anything of any significance? I have no doubt he'll fail if he does, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's actually managed to convince anyone to give him a lead role yet. He can't act but his dad is really famous, so I do agree it's inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 298August 25, 2020 5:41 PM

Henry Winkler

by Anonymousreply 299August 25, 2020 5:53 PM

Jason Bateman

by Anonymousreply 300August 25, 2020 6:06 PM

Scott Eastwood is hot, but charisma free.

by Anonymousreply 301August 25, 2020 6:59 PM

I don't see why that's at all relevant, R301.

by Anonymousreply 302August 25, 2020 11:46 PM

Jason Bateman has been pretty successful. I'm glad he's not doing those stupid comedy movies with Jennifer Aniston anymore. Was amazing in Ozark. And The Outsider. Starting to direct and produce a lot of stuff. I've always thought he was good looking. Arrested Development totally changed his career. Before that every show he was doing was canceled after one season.

by Anonymousreply 303August 26, 2020 2:05 AM

[Quote] Has Scott Eastwood been a leading man in anything of any significance?

An attempt was made with The Longest Ride. Which he did with Britt Robertson (who's name ended up in the Failed Leading Ladies thread).

by Anonymousreply 304August 26, 2020 2:16 AM

[quote]The Longest Ride. Which he did with Britt Robertson

The "of any significance" was kind of key in that sentence.

by Anonymousreply 305August 26, 2020 2:17 AM

Really liked Scott Eastwood in Diablo. With Walter Goggins. You haven't seen, it watch it. Has a twist ending. He's quite handsome.

by Anonymousreply 306August 26, 2020 2:24 AM

Christopher Rich.

He stared in a TV series in 1987 for one year with a likewise beautiful woman, but they couldn’t make it work as the ideal, perfectly beautiful couple.

He’s found other work acting, but not as a leading man. I think his wife in the series got a second series that also failed after one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307August 26, 2020 3:06 AM

R305 are you saying a Nicholas Sparks movie doesn't count? 😧

by Anonymousreply 308August 26, 2020 3:07 AM

Rainn Wilson. He was great as Dwight in The Office but couldn't carry a movie. Super was a good black comedy that didn't get enough respect. I also enjoyed him in The Rocker. Both Super and The Rocker also had great supporting casts.

by Anonymousreply 309August 30, 2020 11:02 PM

WHET Josh Lucas?

by Anonymousreply 310May 22, 2021 10:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!