Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wolfpack - The strange and bizarre story of the Angulo Brothers

Quarantine made me think of these siblings and their extraordinary story. They were quite socialized for children who were imprisoned in their home for so many years. The mother reminds me of Greta Nussbaum. Was the father ever charged with a crime? Do the brothers lead normal lives today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2020 9:20 PM

Where can I find the documentary?

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2020 11:11 AM

R1 The OP has provided the nearly one hour 20/20 episode in the initial post ...

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2020 11:22 AM

R1, can I borrow some money?

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2020 11:33 AM

Hedda Nussbaum?

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2020 11:41 AM

You cannot look away. This story is as fascinating as it is creepy. I wonder if experts have analyzed them. I can't wait until the Director does a follow-up with them all 10 years from now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2020 6:41 PM

It was an excellent documentary. I applaud their playfulness, I wonder what kind of abuse they suffered (beyond isolation and instilled distrust and lack of encouragement toward friendships), and I despise that father.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2020 6:44 PM

The parents should be jailed.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2020 6:47 PM

a grift.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2020 6:47 PM

these dudes are clones, right?

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2020 9:56 PM

They're brothers. 2 of them are twins.

I seriously want their 4 bedroom, 2 bath, Lower East Side apartment. It has potential.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2020 10:42 PM

What strikes me is how innocent and pure they all are. Most people usually lose this quality by around 11 or 12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 31, 2020 7:48 PM

I remember this documentary. Fascinating and disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2020 7:52 PM

I wonder what it's like for them to finally come out of isolation, only to be forced back into isolation because of coronavirus. Scientists could learn so much from them. Children who are isolated typically are only children so are likely to be non verbal by the time they are discovered. Here you have a case of very verbal siblings; because there were so many brothers, they learned their socialization skills from each other.

The parents should be held accountable for what they did, but they managed to raise 6 quality boy, which is nearly impossible in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2020 10:07 PM

I watched the documentary and the 20/20 follow-up. Fascinating stuff. I kept thinking, how the hell did they afford to live in that huge apartment on government assistance? Nobody worked. One of the best parts of the follow-up was when DeNiro walked in on them and they were able to talk to him and ask questions. OP, I saw this years ago; I need to revisit it. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2020 10:15 PM

R14, do you have a link to the DeNiro meeting?

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2020 1:17 PM

R15 It was part of the 20/20 follow-up. . DeNiro comes in at the about the 50 minute mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2020 1:28 PM

Beautiful & Feral.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2020 1:51 PM

I loved watching them shop The Criterion Collection . Joyful and charming! The only "haul" videos I can stand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2020 2:02 PM

They truly act like they have won the lottery when they are told they can keep the videos...so sweet.

I hope they have a support system outside of each other and their mother, so the are not harmed emotionally or taken advantage of.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2020 2:18 PM

They are fortunate that their case didn't turn out like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2020 2:27 PM

This is old news. Their time has come and gone.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2020 2:36 PM

R21, not really. In many ways their journey is just beginning. There are so many unanswered questions. I would love to see a follow-up.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2020 2:45 PM

R21 Absolutely! I want to know where these kids land in their 30s. Will they ever have kids of their own?

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2020 4:10 PM

It's amazing that none of them were left profoundly autistic from the isolation. In fact, I found the older ones to be quite engaging and delightful. One reporter said their behaviour at time appeared feral and their speech patterns have an odd lilt, but I think that's due to the fact they have not learned the cultural norms one does by interacting with society. Supposedly, the boys and the mother are under psychiatric care, and the 3 youngest received special training to help them become more socialized. This is such a fascinating case. Wonder if any scientific papers have been written about them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2020 4:37 PM

There was a sister too, she was mentally disabled. Scared to think what happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2020 9:36 PM

Their neighbors knew and didn’t intervene on their behalf? Seriously? 😐

by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2020 11:50 PM

Their neighbors knew and didn’t intervene on their behalf? Seriously? 😐

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2020 11:50 PM

The sister is still alive. She doesn't along with her brothers because, as you said, she's handicapped and can't consent to appearing on film.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2020 1:27 AM

From the glimpses I've seen of her, the sister appears to be well taken care of and happy. The brothers mention she sometimes participates in their movie recreations. They all seem devoted to the mother. They have said they don't want her to get in any trouble. Most still live in the apartment.

I wonder if they process visuals differently. Imagine rarely being outside so you can look past the vast horizon or perceive objects in relation to open space. Their perspectives must be so out of whack, like if you or I walked out the door and everything turned into cartoon figures. One brother said he's afraid he'll never be able to adapt to the outside world. The youngest refuse to watch the documentary.

Govinda, has amazing skin. He has no visible creases where his laugh lines should be. It's absolutely incredible. Here is the middle brother delivering a Ted Talk. This is a story about survival and triumph. This gives us all hope we'll make it though the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2020 2:18 AM

They must have brittle bones from the lack of sunshine; vitamin D.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2020 10:47 AM

[Quote]Their neighbors knew and didn’t intervene on their behalf? Seriously? 😐

The father made any room (including one of the bathrooms) that had adjoining walls to other apartments off limits to them, so that the neighbors couldn't hear what was going on inside. He placed a ladder in front of the door so he would hear if the wife or children tried to leave. He also did all the grocery shopping. Some of the neighbors said they had no idea there were children living in the apartment.

Those home movies of when they were little, covered in face paint are creepy beyond fuck. I think there's more to the story that has yet to be told.

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2020 2:39 PM

I don't find it creepy. And the way they are today, apparently so stable, I doubt that they went through a sadistic upbringing or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2020 7:21 PM

Father a paranoid schizophrenic.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2020 8:38 PM

[Quote]I don't find it creepy. And the way they are today, apparently so stable, I doubt that they went through a sadistic upbringing or something like that.

You're probably right, but there are so many unanswered questions; like how did they, as welfare recipients, fly under the radar of Social Services? Wouldn't they have to check periodically to verify the number of children in the household? How did they do their laundry? What happened when there was a problem in the apartment or management wanted to repaint?

I do agree the mother raised some quality children, a great contrast to the jaded, privileged brats we typically see.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2020 9:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!