Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Princess Beatrice wears Queen Elizabeth's vintage dress for her wedding

Princess Beatrice wore something old and borrowed on her wedding day.

The eldest daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson wore a vintage dress by Norman Hartnell on loan from her grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II.

She also wore the same tiara, the Queen Mary diamond fringe tiara, the queen wore on her wedding day in 1947, according to Buckingham Palace.

Beatrice, whose plan for a large royal wedding was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, wed Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi on Friday morning at the Royal Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor.

Her father, Prince Andrew, walked her down the aisle, according to Buckingham Palace. He continues to face intense scrutiny over his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison from an apparent suicide last year.

Andrew announced last November he would step back from public duties "for the foreseeable future" amid heavy criticism.

Friday's wedding, which Buckingham Palace said "took place in accordance with all relevant Government Guidelines," was a much different affair than was originally planned by Beatrice and Mozzi, who was described by the BBC as a "property tycoon."

The couple, who got engaged last year in Italy, planned to wed on May 29 at the Chapel Royal at St. James's Palace in London, where Prince George, the son of Beatrice's cousin Prince William and his wife, Kate, was baptized in 2013.

A private reception hosted by Queen Elizabeth was to follow the ceremony at Buckingham Palace's gardens.

Beatrice's mom, Ferguson, took to social media on May 29 to mark what would have been her daughter's wedding day.

"Love you my darling Beatrice," Ferguson wrote on Instagram and Twitter, alongside a throwback photo of a young Beatrice. "You have given me more joy than I could ever wish for. I am so excited to celebrate yours and Edo's love when we all are out of lockdown."

"The most important thing is health and love and today I send it to you and all the other people that were getting married during this time .. so proud of you all," she wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 4, 2020 5:29 AM

Stop beating this dead horseface.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2020 8:53 AM

Bea kind of lucked out due to the coronavirus.

The Queen gave her some extra special perks, to make up for the smaller wedding.

I think that wearing the Queen's wedding dress and tiara was far more special than having a big wedding.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2020 8:56 AM

Meghan markle is seething in LA

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2020 8:57 AM

That dress must've been designed for Princess Diana. Look at the size of the hem!

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2020 9:05 AM

Is that the tiara Megs demanded to wear on her wedding day?

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2020 9:05 AM

No, Meg wanted to wear the emerald tiara that Eugenie got.

Why I dont know, dark green eouldnt suit her at all.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2020 9:12 AM

This wedding was a thousand times better and classier than Meg's.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2020 9:18 AM

Did Harry and Megs learn about it online?

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2020 9:23 AM

No, R5, she reportedly wanted to wear the Vladimir Kokoshnik tiara.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2020 10:03 AM

The flowers are the only beautiful things on the photo

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2020 10:47 AM

Can you believe Meghan gave all that up? What a retard.

Princess Beatrice will put that ho to shame.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2020 10:56 AM

Beatrice looks like a beast in OP's picture.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2020 11:01 AM

Very attractive couple, obviously lit up on their wedding day, and something nice to read about in the news.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2020 11:06 AM

Meghan must have thought being royal was the same as being a Hollywood celebrity. She couldn't understand why she was not allowed to give marijuana to the guests at the reception.

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2020 11:09 AM

I love to shit on Bea when she wears a weird outfit. But I can't fault her on this occasion. She looks beautiful. The whole vibe feels so whimsical and vintage. God knows, her and Eugenie have been subjected to so much public humiliation. Imagine the drama they've seen that we know nothing of. I wish Bea all the best, I hope Edo treats her well and truly loves her.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2020 11:12 AM

I love this picture. They look genuinely happy. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2020 11:57 AM

I'm not seeing the father and mother of the bride. Weren't they invited?

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2020 12:31 PM

They look so happy and beautiful together. And getting to wear the Queen’s own dress?! A very generous and lovely gesture given the lockdown. Like someone upthread said: it’s all so whimsical and perfect.

Well done!

I’m sure Markle is off saying “Look at that fugly cunt in OLD RAGS” missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2020 12:48 PM

Yes they were there but since the wedding was so private, the palace is able to control the photos that are released.

Kudos to Bea. She took a tricky situation with the parents, corona, MM, and all and turned it into a successful occasion. Not saying it was all her ideas, she was well-advised.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2020 12:53 PM

The dress is exquisite and the flowers beautiful. This is the way a wedding should be done. The best of everything to the lovely couple.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2020 1:12 PM

I totally agree with you, R19.

It's so simple. Just listen to the minders, because they know better.

But no, Meghan thinks she's the smartest person in the room. And of course, she has failed miserably.

[quote] I'm not seeing the father and mother of the bride. Weren't they invited?

They were, but the official press photos excluded them because of ... Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2020 1:54 PM

"Can you believe Meghan gave all that up? What a retard. "

Meg chose to go from borrowing tiaras from the Queen of England, to borrowing mansions from Tyler Perry (the Queen of Atlanta).

Since even a princess can only wear a tiara about once a year, and mansions come in handy 24/7/365, I can't fault her on this one.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2020 2:44 PM

Borrowing a tiara and borrowing a mansion amounts to the same thing--none of it is yours. It's when you actually own these things that you can throw your weight around.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2020 2:57 PM

That floral arch, tho, Brah!!

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2020 3:54 PM

Her expression made me think of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2020 4:13 PM

Maybe Bea should borrow more of granny’s clothes. This is the best I’ve ever seen her look.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2020 4:19 PM

She has so many teeth.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2020 4:40 PM

Meghan thought she was entitled to the legendary Vladimir Tiara. Liz should have put a boot up her ass right then and there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2020 4:48 PM

[quote] ...wearing the Queen's wedding dress and tiara was far more special than having a big wedding.

Not the Queen's wedding dress, but one of the Queen's vintage dresses.

Seen in this picture from 1962...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2020 4:57 PM

Isn't this all a painful reminder of the cruel class system the Brits had (and spread around the world)?

It's time the Royal family is ex-communicated and their assets liquidated and dispersed to the citizens as reparations.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2020 4:57 PM

She really looked lovely and the dress suited her well. Granny really gave her the best wedding.

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2020 5:05 PM

I love that photo at OP. I’m not even a royal lover, but it’s a good moment framed beautifully. The flowers made me swoon.

This was the best wedding.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2020 5:16 PM

The dress Bea wore was re-made to fit her by the Queen's dresser Angela Kelly and designer Stewart Parvin with an ivory satin hem (extra length) and the puffed sleeves added (for modesty as a wedding dress.)

The original was designed by Norman Hartnell for the Queen's appearance at the premiere of Lawrence of Arabia in 1962.

by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2020 5:21 PM

[quote] Very attractive couple

Listen, it’s wonderful that she married a white man and gave the antiquated monarchy and its idiotic fans the white wedding that Harry did not. However, Beatrice is as ugly as sin. Harry really did her a huge favor by marrying a biracial. Had he not; no one would be over the top gushing over her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2020 5:28 PM

[quote] This was the best wedding.

Translation: she didn’t marry a negro.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2020 5:30 PM

Oh, it's lovely. We approve!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2020 5:31 PM

I love Beatrice and Eugenie. They seem like lovely girls with never a scandal with either of them their entire lives. They have certainly had their challenges with their parents, but they never show it publicly and they remained lovely, congenial young woman. Personally, I would have liked for Bea to have a larger wedding with a bit more pomp and circumstance than what ultimately happened--maybe not on the scale of Eugenie's wedding if that's not what Bea wanted, but bigger nonetheless. The entire affair seemed sweet, romantic, beautiful and intimate. I did not love the dress. It looked quite nice on Queen Elizabeth 60 years ago, but now it seemed dated and a bit milkmaid looking--and not as white as when Elizabeth wore it years ago. Bea's hair could have been done differently and more elegantly to show off that show-stopping tiara, which shows a great deal of favor on behalf of the queen toward her granddaughter. Andrew and Sarah should be quite proud.

If Bea's goal was to have her grandparents attend her wedding, she accomplished her goal. I would like to see more photos especially with her parents, Andrew and Sarah, despite Andrew's current troubles along with her sister, Eugenie, which would have been nice and sisterly. All in all and given the unusual circumstances in which we live, Bea (and Sarah, who I've read organized the entire wedding in two weeks once the British government gave the approval to have weddings with up to 30 people attending--and before the queen departs for Balmoral for the summer) did a great job. Whether Bea acquiesced to her grandmother's wishes regarding the dress and tiara or whether those choices were truly her own, it seems that Bea has greatly improved her status within the British royal family and with the British public, and it wouldn't surprise me if Beatrice ends up a quasai-senior royal or at least a quasai-working royal now that Harry and Markle are gone and not really wanted by anyone anyway.

Bea and Eug have displayed a whole lot more class than Markle ever has. By the way, I read that Bea's dress is the same dress that she was planning to wear if her wedding if it had taken place as a much larger affair in May 2020. Maybe Bea and Edo can have a larger reception with a big guest list on their one-year anniversary when this coronavirus ordeal has hopefully ended.

Congratulations, Bea! Now let's see more photos of your special day.

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2020 5:35 PM

[quote]Princess Beatrice wears Queen Elizabeth's vintage dress for her wedding

I bet George was so mad, he planned on wearing it at his wedding.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] The dress Bea wore was re-made to fit her by the Queen's dresser Angela Kelly and designer Stewart Parvin with an ivory satin hem (extra length) and the puffed sleeves added (for modesty as a wedding dress.)

I'm glad that he re-did the hem.

It was too rounded at the bottom, seen at R29. I much prefer it to be longer and flowy, rather than closed.

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2020 5:47 PM

It looked like Queenie had a typical petticoat under there, and the fabric collapsed at that point R39. Bea's skirt was much smoother. I like the slightly contrasting band at the bottom of her skirt in any event: the satin weighted and controlled the taffeta..

by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2020 5:53 PM

Years ago I read an account by a royal correspondent who claimed Beatrice is The Queen's favourite grandchild. It struck me as strange at the time, but I think it speaks volumes she was loaned The Queen's own wedding tiara and dress for her nuptials.

While I do think she's laughably workshy and not particularly stylish, Bea does seem to have a high EQ. Maybe having such immature and inattentive parents contributed to her compassion and warmth.

by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2020 5:56 PM

I have often wondered if Fergie and Andrew had given birth to a son, if he would be as unfortunate looking as their daughters or if he would be a hot stud. Andrew isn't much to look at now but when he was younger he was quite hot.

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2020 6:29 PM

R41, well said.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2020 6:42 PM

The Queen is a pretty sharp old gal, and surely smart enough not to tell anyone which of her grandchildren are her favorites.

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2020 6:46 PM

I think it's pretty clear now, R44.

She also really seems to love George and Charlotte.

The Queen always seems to be very cheerful and smiling when she's with them.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote] Everything we know so far about Princess Beatrice’s wedding

A statement release by the palace explained, "The couple decided to hold a small private ceremony with their parents and siblings following the postponement of their wedding in May."

It continued, "Working within government guidelines, the service was in keeping with the unique circumstances while enabling them to celebrate their wedding with their closest family.

"No hymns were sung, but a selection of music was played. The National Anthem was played but not sung."

Mother of the bride Sarah Ferguson and Edoardo's mother Nikki Williams-Ellis also both read poems chosen by the newlyweds.

The smaller ceremony also meant the guest list had to be kept tight, reportedly limited to just parents, including Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, siblings, Edoardo's son Wolfie, and of course the Queen and Prince Philip.

Princess Eugenie was of course in attendance, alongside her husband Jack Brooksbank, and little three-year-old Wolfie was Edoardo's best man and page boy. However, only the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh appeared in the official pictures.

More guests were invited to the reception, with the couple reportedly bringing 14 friends to a party in the gardens at Royal Lodge, the home of Beatrice's parents Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.

Despite the smaller guest list, Beatrice and Edoardo still pulled together a fun-filled reception, taking place in a marquee in the Royal Lodge gardens. The marquee was reportedly named 'The Duke of York', after Prince Andrew, and was kitted out with sofas, a jukebox, draft beer and a dartboard.

Guests also slept in glamping pods in the gardens, which sounds perfectly low-key, and a bouncy castle was brought in.

A friend of the couple told The Sun, "I heard that everyone had a great night. It was totally relaxed. There was a bit of dancing into the early hours with the jukebox blazing away.

Some guests made sure they kept their social distance — and everyone was laughing about it."

Beatrice's dress fabulously broke away from convention, as she opted not for a custom-made gown but for a vintage design on loan from the Queen, with the Queen herself having previously worn the dress. Well, that covers 'something old' and 'something borrowed', eh?

Originally designed by Norman Hartnell - the same designer who made the Queen and Princess Margaret's wedding dresses - royal dressmaker Angela Kelly and designer Stewart Parvin made a few tweaks to the dress here and there to make it unique to Beatrice.

A statement from the palace added that the dress "is made from Peau De Soie taffeta in shades of ivory, trimmed with ivory Duchess satin, with organza sleeves. It is encrusted with diamanté and has a geometric checkered bodice."

Beatrice's bouquet also kept in line with Royal tradition, including sprigs of myrtle, as well as trailing jasmine, pale pink and cream sweet peas, royal porcelain ivory spray roses, pink o’hara garden roses, pink wax flower and baby pink astible, made by Patrice Van Helden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2020 7:31 PM

It's been reported that Edo's half-brother, Albermarle (Alby) Shale attended the wedding. Edo and Alby are very close. Edo and Alby have the same mother, Nicola (Nikki Mapelli Mozzi) Shale, who was previously married to British politician, Christopher Shale, who died in 2011. Nikki Shale was previously married to Edo' s father, Alessandro (Alex) Mapelli-Mozzi, a British-Italian alpine skier. He is a member of an Italian noble family, whose family seat is the Villa Mapelli Mozzi. His title of count is not officially recognized in either Italy or the UK; he uses the title "as a courtesy." Alex is still alive although it is rumored that he did not attend. He and Edo are not close. Edo also has a sister (full sister, not half), Natalia (parents are Alex and Nikki); not sure if she attended.

By the way, Sarah, Duchess of York is godmother to Edo's half-brother, Albermarle Shale...so these two families go way back together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2020 9:25 PM

I love the flowers, what a pretty setting.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2020 9:27 PM

I had a similar, albeit less regal, wedding in 2015. Just immediate family. I don’t regret it. We got married in our home. Sometimes simple is better. I would hate to spend a fortune and worry about guests not having a good time.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2020 9:29 PM

You could rock-dive off the top of his forehead.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2020 9:46 PM

In OP’s photo, Bea looks absolutely happy and radiant ... as a bride should be ... Im not a Royal follower normally, but I stopped because her smiling picture caught my eye as I was scrolling ...

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2020 9:59 PM

R35 = angry and bitter sMEG.

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2020 10:20 PM

Put that on Ignore and poof! much better thread.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2020 11:33 PM

"Maybe Bea should borrow more of granny’s clothes. This is the best I’ve ever seen her look. "

If she wants to wear gran's clothes she'll have to keep her weight way down. Elizabeth was a teeny tiny woman with a tiny waist when she was young, and Bea has... inherited her mother's figure.

I think it's nice that they had a small intimate wedding, in an era of declining incomes the royals should bloody well prove that they don't need everything they do to be ostentatious, expensive, and broadcast on international TV. So some perfect clothes, a floral arch to die for, some sentimental associations, and everyone's happy and there's some good publicity.

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2020 11:35 PM

The bottom of the dress looks SO much better in R29's photo.

Why would they have botched it up for Bea with that absurd hem? Plus, it's looks sorta highwater to me.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2020 11:39 PM

R55, a celebitchy type of seethe. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2020 11:51 PM

R54, it really struck the right note. The loftiest elements (the Queen’s dress and tiara) didn’t cost a thing. They pulled off a well-received wedding under extremely difficult circumstances. This curmudgeonly cunt is thrilled to hits for them.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2020 12:03 AM

^^ Bits. I’m thrilled to fucking BITS.

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2020 12:03 AM

I'M thrilled to [italic]shits[/italic] for them!

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2020 12:05 AM

Very calculated on Bea’s part but excellent P.R.

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2020 12:07 AM

I don’t understand the big fuss about what tiara Meghan wants to wear. Why should the Queen care? She has so many tiaras and they are not often worn. Short of wanting the Royal Crown, why give a shit?

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2020 12:14 AM

r51, why aren't you asking why Meghan should give a shit about which tiara [italic]she[/italic] wears? Especially when they are not hers to begin with.

If she wanted a really nice tiara, Harry could have bought her one as a wedding gift. But no: she decided instead to mooch.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2020 12:27 AM

I meant r61, not r51.

Sorry, r51.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2020 12:28 AM

Having the newest person marrying into a family demanding to wear a piece of jewelry already promised to your own granddaughter??

Especially since her specific demand shows that she has already been scoping out your jewelry collection and she's not even in the family yet.

And R61 claims they don't get it why this is a problem and why it showed as a warning sign about what sort of person is making demands.

Right.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2020 12:31 AM

nice low key event = classy

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2020 12:39 AM

I wonder if each tiara holds its own sentiments and memories for the Queen, I know all mine do.

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2020 12:48 AM

R61. It appears that there is a hierarchy ranking when it comes to tiaras. And by ranking, I mean the person who wears the tiara as well as the tiara itself. If the tiara is too grand, a lesser royal or a new royal may not get what she wants as apparently what happened to Markle. Plus, Eugenie was already planning her wedding even if it weren't initially announced. Eug might have sent word to her grandmother that she would like the emerald tiara if it's available. And Eugenie is the granddaughter of the queen, so there might have been some preferential treatment. At the same time, Markle may not have thought that getting her preferred tiara was such a political process as turned out to be the case. The queen may have also thought that the emerald tiara was a bit much for a Markle, a new member of the family. The queen is a wise ol' gal. She may have noticed Markle's status-climbing ways and thought it best to put a bit of a lid on markle's intentions.

At the time of both weddings in 2018, the queen knew Eugenie for 28 years--and she's a blood princess and her granddaughter. On the other hand, she knew Markle for about 10 minutes, who seems to have shown her manipulative hand already knowing about the collection of tiaras under lock and key.

Think back to the weddings of Diana, Sarah and Sophie. The queen offered each a tiara to wear, and each accepted graciously as new members of the family. The queen took a certain amount of pride in the act of giving the tiara (or loaning) toward her new daughters-in-law. The queen is not accustomed to being told that Markle wants what she wants. Markle was never going to score any points with her attitude. And let's face it at the time, no one really knew Markle all that well. But one of her first steps forward, and Markle shows herself to be a pushy American who asks for something that should have been considered a gift. Right from the start, the queen and many members of the royal family were already thinking, "Who is this broad?"

Eugenie on the other hand...very nice girl, never causes an ounce of trouble. You get the emerald tiara, my dear.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2020 12:50 AM

Diana wore the Spencer tiara.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2020 12:56 AM

I’m still cracking up at one of you bitches who said Meghan should buy her own damn tiara and she can wear it anytime she wants. I was imagining her swanning around that borrowed tacky mansion like Miss Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote] Think back to the weddings of Diana, Sarah and Sophie. The queen offered each a tiara to wear, and each accepted graciously as new members of the family.

That didn't happen in any of their cases.

Diana wore the Spencer family tiara, which her father owned .

Fergie was given a tiara outright by Philip and the Queen because they expected her to stay in the family forever. They never made that mistake again. she still owns it--she didn't even have to ask for it in the divorce since it was a personal gift directly to her.

Sophie was given a tiara by her husband that he made out of cast-off pieces in the royal collection. It looked awful, but she still wears it (rarely).

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2020 1:09 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the vintage dress had been butchered and looks ridiculous?

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2020 1:14 AM

There's a misconception hear about the Queen's emerald tiaras. The one Meghan wanted to wear was the Grand Vladimir Tiara with the Cambridge Emeralds attached. (It can also be worn with large drop pearls, or without any big stones.) This is one of the queen's favorite tiaras--she wears it all the time. No one except Queen Mary and the current queen has ever worn it in the royal family, so it was absolutely not earmarked for Eugenie to wear. Eugenie would know her grandmother wouldn't let her wear it--it's a signature piece of jewelry, meant only to be worn by a reigning queen of the United Kingdom. Camilla may wear it but only when the queen dies, and Kate may wear it but only when Camilla dies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2020 1:14 AM

R71 Yes. It's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 73July 21, 2020 1:15 AM

What? She couldn't afford a NEW dress??? Poor Thing!

by Anonymousreply 74July 21, 2020 1:16 AM

Eugenie wore a completely different emerald tiara: the Greville Kokoshnik Tiara. It was willed to Elizabeth the Queen Mother by a very wealthy snob, Lady Greville, and has apparently never been worn by anyone else in the royal family in decades. I don't know why Meghan didn't wear it if she is so big on big emeralds, but this wasn't the one she wanted to wear. She wanted the Grand Vladimir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 21, 2020 1:17 AM

If MM had had any class she would have asked her future mother-in-law to choose one for her.

by Anonymousreply 76July 21, 2020 1:17 AM

Actually, R75, that tiara is not very attractive and too 1920s

by Anonymousreply 77July 21, 2020 1:19 AM

Mooch? She was only wearing it for a few hours. And isn't Harry higher on the scale than Bea or Eu?

by Anonymousreply 78July 21, 2020 1:19 AM

This is the hideous tiara Sophie wore for her wedding that her husband designed for her out of cast-off pieces. It looks like a cheap New Year's Eve tiara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 21, 2020 1:20 AM

Eventually Edward bought Sophie a much, much nicer tiara that doubles as a necklace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 21, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote] And isn't Harry higher on the scale than Bea or Eu?

Harry is; but Meghan is not. She does not outrank a Princess of the Blood.

In any case, it doesn't even matter since she wanted to borrow a tiara that even Beatrice and Eugenie would not be allowed to wear (and would never have asked to wear in the first place).

The queen's personal tiaras are the emblems of her sovereignty as monarch. They are not to be borrowed for the asking.

by Anonymousreply 81July 21, 2020 1:27 AM

Do we really know which tiara MM wanted to wear?

As I remember the story, the Queen selects some tiaras to be presented as choices for a woman marrying in.

Supposedly, Kate wanted to wear flowers in her hair at her wedding, but was told that a tiara was a must because of William's position in the line of succession. Kate, therefore chose the smallest of the tiaras that were offered to her. Looking at those wedding pictures, the tiara is there, but is barely noticeable and just an accent to the whole picture.

I suppose MM was really delusional enough to think she could demand to wear the Vladimir but I found it hard to believe at the time. After all her outrageous behavior since then, that idea is much less far fetched.

I assumed MM wanted to wear the Greville Kokoshnik Tiara - the one that Eugenie wore. Also with the big emerald.

And I suspected then and still do, that MM's mean girl stunt at Eugenie's wedding was in part payback for Eugenie getting to wear that tiara.

If so, then apparently it never occurred to MM that a granddaughter would have first dibs on whatever tiara she asked for.

What is the source of the claim that MM was demanding to wear the Vladimir?

by Anonymousreply 82July 21, 2020 1:27 AM

"No, Meg wanted to wear the emerald tiara that Eugenie got."

Actually, I heard the tiara that Meghan Markle coveted was the the Vladimir tiara (Eugenie wore the Greville Emerald Kokoshnik Tiara). It's a fancy tiara with lots of emeralds. It really was too showy to wear with her plain as a boiled potato wedding dress, but that's the one she supposed wanted. But the queen said nix. I guess "whatever Meghan wants, Meghan gets (supposedly dimwit Harry said that)" didn't pan out, after all.

by Anonymousreply 83July 21, 2020 1:28 AM

I thought the tiara Meghan ended up with was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 84July 21, 2020 1:31 AM

R83, it’s apocryphal. I choose to believe it because that dummy is cuntstruck. Especially back then. Captain Save-A-Ho.

by Anonymousreply 85July 21, 2020 1:31 AM

Prince Phillip cleans up well for a man of almost 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 21, 2020 1:40 AM

Royal women wearing the Queen Mary diamond fringe tiara throughout history: Queen Mary, the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Anne, Princess Beatrice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 21, 2020 1:45 AM

The Queen during the 1966 State Opening of Parliament, wearing the Imperial State Crown and the Norman Hartnell gown that was remade for Princess Beatrice's wedding day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 21, 2020 1:48 AM

People are dying of a pandemic and this cow is only thinking about a luxury wedding. Fucking trash like her father.

by Anonymousreply 89July 21, 2020 1:49 AM

I just realize who Eug reminds me of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 21, 2020 1:59 AM

Beatrice is the image of Victoria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 21, 2020 2:01 AM

Poor Sophie Wessex. She only got to be a countess, not a duchess or a princess, upon her marriage, because (it's said) her husband liked the movie "Shakespeare in Love," which has the Earl of Wessex character. And then that weird crown and engagement ring, courtesy of Edward's "loving hands at home."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 21, 2020 2:06 AM

Sophie's ring. Oy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2020 2:09 AM

I always forget about Edward and Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2020 3:08 AM

They seem entirely boring, though she seems like a good sort. Edward had his fun, tried to break out a little with the theatre thing, but was successfully suppressed and brought back into line. Whatever his personal orientation, he certainly isn't making any waves whatsoever nowadays (or for the past 20 years).

by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2020 3:11 AM

The world is falling apart and this idiot, ugly woman is having a wedding. With her deranged, piece of shit father participating. Y'all Britons have a permanent Trump family.

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2020 3:13 AM

[quote] Poor Sophie Wessex. She only got to be a countess, not a duchess or a princess, upon her marriage, because (it's said) her husband liked the movie "Shakespeare in Love," which has the Earl of Wessex character.

First of all, she IS a princess: as well as being HRH The Countess of Wessex, she is also officially HRH The Princess Edward. (Similarly, Kate is also HRH The Princess William as well as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, and Meghan is HRH The Princess Henry as well as HRH The Duchess of Sussex.)

Second, being a royal countess rather than a royal duchess is only temporary. The Palace has announced that when both of his parents die, the new monarch will transfer Philip's title of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh to Edward. Presumably then, the Earl of Wessex will be a new courtesy title for his son (who is currently the Viscount Severn).

Third, although "Earl of Wessex" was a title with which Edward became familiar through a character in the film "Shakespeare in Love," it was actually an ancient and disused title long before that movie, going all the way back to its first creation circa 1018 AD. It was created a second time in 1066, and fell out of abeyance in 1071 when its childless possessor died. So it was a genuine title possessed by the Crown, not just something made up for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2020 3:36 AM

The wedding was beautifully understated. Life must go on. I wonder if the age of her grandparents had anything to do with them deciding to going ahead with the wedding. I'm glad the Queen got to see her grand daughter's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2020 3:38 AM

R97, do the changes in title come with an increase in pay? Land? Are they mostly ceremonial?

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2020 3:40 AM

What's with the hem on Bea's dress? First of all, the dress seems a tad short--not terribly short, but a bit. Second, the hem is huge. It looks rather odd--like the damn dress has about 12 inches of hem. Would anyone dare cut some of the hem so that it just has 3-4 inches of hem? Or at the very least...let some of the hem down by an inch or two so that the dress doesn't look kind of short on Bea.

Here's the queen wearing the same dress, but the dress looks a bit poofy (in a good way) at the hem and quite frankly, much more sophisticated without 12 inches of visible hem line:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2020 3:52 AM

They almost certainly had to lengthen the dress because Beatrice is quite a bit taller than her grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2020 4:08 AM

By the age of 90, women can lose up to three inches, The Queen has looked stooped for a number of years already and certainly does in OP's photo, though I'm sure it had to be lengthen some.

by Anonymousreply 102July 21, 2020 4:16 AM

I have read numerous times that Bea and Eugenie are the Queen's favorite.

by Anonymousreply 103July 21, 2020 4:22 AM

But it's also been said that Louise is the Queen's favorite, and that Zara and Peter are the Queen's favorites.

In truth, she seems to be exceptionally close to all her grandchildren.

Most psychologically healthy people do not have a consistently favorite child or a consistently favorite grandchild--they love them all, but in different ways, and are closer with different ones at different times.

by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2020 4:26 AM

Who keeps a dress in the closet for 60 years? Bitch is a crazy narcissist.

I'd be insulted if grandma gave me some old mothball rag and said here, make a wedding dress out of it.

by Anonymousreply 105July 21, 2020 4:45 AM

Are you insane, r105, or just jealous?

What's she supposed to do cut it up and use it for rags? The moment the Queen wears a dress in public it becomes an artifact. This dress is one she wore to the State opening of Parliament, so an important artifact. AND it's a Norman Hartwell. Now it will be remembered as Bea's wedding dress, but it was already an important dress before Bea wore it. It was already important before Bea was even born.

It's gorgeous and although a touch short, suits Bea very nicely. And the message it sends is that the Queen truly loves Bea. It's a lovely thing that she wore it, on about five different levels.

by Anonymousreply 106July 21, 2020 4:54 AM

She seems to be a better grandparent than parent.

by Anonymousreply 107July 21, 2020 5:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 21, 2020 5:18 AM

R107, that is often the case.

by Anonymousreply 109July 21, 2020 5:23 AM

That arch indeed is to die for. Personally I would have preffered it to be in a baby blue color, but the pink is stunning.

As ugly as Bea is, that shot of them in that arch is a fairy tale for sure.

by Anonymousreply 110July 21, 2020 5:24 AM

Where are they going on Honeymoon?

by Anonymousreply 111July 21, 2020 5:28 AM

[quote] Where are they going on Honeymoon?

Wuhan, China. Meghan recommended they go there to try out the delicious exotic meats at the "wet" market.

by Anonymousreply 112July 21, 2020 5:40 AM

R110. Bea is not ugly. She may not be a raving beauty, but she's not ugly, and at times, she's attractive with her calm sweetness shining through.

by Anonymousreply 113July 21, 2020 6:08 AM

I wonder how many inches they had to take the waist out. When the Queen wore it she had a waist so tiny Scarlett herself would have been envious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 21, 2020 6:27 AM

Bea could have worn the queen's coronation gown. It's quite beautiful and no one will be wearing it again:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 21, 2020 6:43 AM

Cute photo of Edo and Bea:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 21, 2020 6:45 AM

Small church (or maybe that's just the angle of the photo) without all of the wedding flowers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 21, 2020 6:48 AM

Any pics of Fergie? Was she invited and if so, what hideous frock did she show-up in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 21, 2020 7:57 AM

Well of course they had to add material to the hem, Bea is taller than Elizabeth, and higher heels are in style now.

Although I think the dress would be great if worn at mid-calf, fifties style, but I suppose there's a rule about dress length for royal brides.

by Anonymousreply 119July 21, 2020 8:18 AM

Aww, I wish everyone would let Bea and Eug alone. They have those horrors for their parents, and they look like cartoons of British Aristocracy, but they deserve their happiness. Bea looks sweet for Bea.

by Anonymousreply 120July 21, 2020 8:22 AM

I will admit that I drank a bottle of Prosecco this evening and am feeling sentimental about those damn girls @R120. Pardon an old fool.

by Anonymousreply 121July 21, 2020 8:24 AM

I think the fact they are more homely looking than those always perfect, Kate and Meghan, make them more relatable for ordinary people, even when their lives have nothing common.

by Anonymousreply 122July 21, 2020 8:51 AM

She looks so happy. good for her.

by Anonymousreply 123July 21, 2020 9:20 AM

She looks so happy. good for her.

by Anonymousreply 124July 21, 2020 9:20 AM

they have turned out quite well despite their parents.

by Anonymousreply 125July 21, 2020 9:21 AM

[quote] Edward had his fun, tried to break out a little with the theatre thing, but was successfully suppressed and brought back into line. Whatever his personal orientation, he certainly isn't making any waves whatsoever nowadays

Too bad Harry didn't learn this lesson.

Everything would have worked out better for him.

by Anonymousreply 126July 21, 2020 10:26 AM

I would like to see some photos of Sarah. I like her. She's got spunk. And yes, she was there. She and Bea planned the entire event starting two weeks ago when the British government gave the approval for having weddings with up to 30 people. Sarah and Nikki, mothers of the bride and groom, each did a reading at the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 127July 21, 2020 11:34 AM

R126, I think Harry has a lot more issues than Edward ever did. Ed had some idea of what he wanted out of life, at least, and he gave it a good try.

Harry doesnt seem to gave a clue what he really wants, except for pissing off his father and having someone new around to tell him what to do.

by Anonymousreply 128July 21, 2020 11:45 AM

Who asked your opinion, R115?

by Anonymousreply 129July 21, 2020 1:17 PM

12 inch hems were the style back then for semi-formals when the skirt was a sheer fabric so adding a satin band at the bottom fits the era. I’m impressed that the silk organza was still in good shape. I suppose the gown has been laying flat for the past 50 years so the weight of the embroidery didn’t pull it to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 130July 21, 2020 1:53 PM

It’s a really beautiful dress. I think she looks very nice.

by Anonymousreply 131July 21, 2020 2:02 PM

[quote] Who asked your opinion, R115? —Charlotte and George

Oh please, Queen Mary!

As if I would ever wear that ratty old thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 21, 2020 2:23 PM

Bea’s chompers are twice as big as his. Huge teeth and Huge bulging eyes, poor Bea.

by Anonymousreply 133July 21, 2020 2:26 PM

R132 reminds me of Gary Janetti, who hasn't posted on Instagram since his black box seven weeks ago. Guess he's laying low (lying low? oh dear, I'm not sure), having gotten some shit for poking Meghan. Will his Prince George cartoon project proceed in the current climate?

by Anonymousreply 134July 21, 2020 3:53 PM

Yeah, Bea's about a foot taller than the Queen, or at least, six inches. They had to add a foot of fabric to the hem somehow, and I'm just grateful they didn't use a fucking ruffle. I hate ruffles anyway, and they'd clash horribly with the clean vertical lines of the gown and the fringe tiara.

BTW I love how the vertical lines of silver accents perfectly echo the vertical lines of the fringe tiara, which Elizabeth herself doesn't seem to have realized. Okay, I don't blame her for wearing the Crown of State to the opening of Parliament, but she wore it with a lacy sort of tiara in the most commonly circulated picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 21, 2020 3:58 PM

Bea has a very nice waist- and bustline in the beautiful vintage dress. Good point about the lines of embroidery and tiara shape harmonizing so well. The overall styling looked pretty darn good for a three week project.

by Anonymousreply 136July 21, 2020 4:05 PM

R97, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. I just didn't care to cover the whole history of the titles in my post, though I appreciate your high dudgeon on the matter. I was going off the commonly understood circumstance that she wanted to be made a princess in her own right.

Regarding the D of E, they've been married for 21 years, so that's a long time to wait for Philip to pop off before finally becoming a duchess.

by Anonymousreply 137July 21, 2020 4:35 PM

The Royal Family of Belgium appeared at events to celebrate the National Day July 21.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 21, 2020 4:40 PM

Queen Mathilde of Belgium often wears masks to match her outfit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 21, 2020 4:41 PM

Mathilde's daughter Elisabeth is in a matching mask too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 21, 2020 4:41 PM

r13 = Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 141July 21, 2020 4:42 PM

^My apologies for the three posts above. Wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 142July 21, 2020 4:43 PM

R137 That’s the first time I’ve seen any reference to Sophie wanting to be made a princess in her own right. Did you make that up or do you have a reference confirming this piece of information?.

by Anonymousreply 143July 21, 2020 7:02 PM

[Quote] Fergie was given a tiara outright by Philip and the Queen because they expected her to stay in the family forever. They never made that mistake again. she still owns it--she didn't even have to ask for it in the divorce since it was a personal gift directly to her.

Pretty sure Fergie's pawned it by now

by Anonymousreply 144July 21, 2020 7:15 PM

R143, no to both questions. I didn't make it up, and I read it a few days ago, just before I posted that about Sophie. I don't remember where I saw it. It was probably in some source you wouldn't like, like the DM. All I can find now is explanations of why she's not Princess Sophie. Sounds from those sources that it was never a possibility anyway.

by Anonymousreply 145July 21, 2020 8:13 PM

[quote]Similarly, Kate is also HRH The Princess William as well as HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, and Meghan is HRH The Princess Henry as well as HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

Actually, Kate is HRH Princess William, and Meghan is HRH Princess Henry. The "The" doesn't get put in from of their full title until their husbands are the son of the sitting monarch.

"HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal", "HRH The Prince Andrew", "HRH The Prince Edward" etc are the current proper usage.

by Anonymousreply 146July 21, 2020 8:49 PM

I wish that I were a Prince.

That must be an awesome feeling, knowing that you're better than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 147July 22, 2020 2:29 AM

And you have yet to be disabused of that notion by reading and hearing about one particular "prince" of Beverly Hills PO who daily proves otherwise, R147?

by Anonymousreply 148July 22, 2020 2:51 AM

[quote]I wish that I were a Prince. That must be an awesome feeling, knowing that you're better than everyone else.

It used to be.

by Anonymousreply 149July 22, 2020 3:31 AM

This is the first tiara option that Lizzie presented Bea with, along with a model to give Bea a close proximation as to what it would look like on her. Bea was not amused, telling Lizzie “That’s not funny Granny Lilbet. You hurt my feelings.” Our girl Lizzie shot back “Calm down and eat a carrot, My Little Pony. Your mom was caught sucking toe jam out of a guy’s foot and your daddy is a pervert. Shut up and naaaaaahhhhh your ass back to the barn.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 22, 2020 3:53 AM

^^I'll poison your food. No one will ever guess who.

by Anonymousreply 151July 22, 2020 4:07 AM

R150 you made me laugh so hard 😂

by Anonymousreply 152July 22, 2020 11:12 AM

R150 - I actually thought that Bea would wear flowers in her hair in honor of Queen Victoria who did the same on her wedding day.

by Anonymousreply 153July 22, 2020 1:08 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 22, 2020 9:34 PM

Probably her dress was really voluminous and would have been ridiculous under the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2020 1:17 AM

A beautiful Norman Hartnell dress that was not actually well repurposed by the Queen's dresser Angela Kelly and what's his name, the actual tailor. Nonetheless, a lovely small summer wedding, just what the times needed most. Congratulations to them.

by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2020 1:26 AM

It's just not a dress befitting a Princess's wedding. Some old hand me down with more material sewed onto it.

by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2020 2:45 AM

Eugenie’s dress was nice imo and her tiara too

by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2020 10:22 AM

niceR I mean

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2020 10:23 AM

Yes, Eugenie and her cute hubby pulled everything off quite nicely, including her dress and her very deep curtsy to her Her Majesty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2020 10:41 AM

Beatrice had another dress. Her choosing to wear this one is about TQ making a statement of support of Beatrice and maybe the Yorks in general. I would bet the BRF doesn't give a shit about some 17 year old prostitute who was with Andrew 25 years ago and who looked quite happy to be with him. It seems clear to me that this enquiry is only about these women making a claim for compensation on Epstein's estate. The BRF are reptiles anyway.

by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2020 10:46 AM

I’m embarrassed that I haven’t followed this relationship as closely as I should have. Bea’s husband looks like a cad, or at least has the makings for becoming a cad. I hope I’m wrong.

The sisters seem like nice girls. They’ve had to care for their messed up, grifter parents, who are each a constant embarrassment. Though, it’s kind of touching that Fergie and Andrew have stayed friends, rather than turned on each other, through their misadventures.

Anyway, a lovely day for a fucked-up family! Honestly, isn’t that all we can hope for any of us?

by Anonymousreply 162July 23, 2020 11:10 AM

Yes we all need a fucked up family

by Anonymousreply 163July 23, 2020 11:21 AM

A fucked up family is what I got, the occasional lovely day was much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2020 11:24 AM

Apparently, the Queen offered Beatrice a grand house 20 years ago. Beatrice turned it down on advice from her mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 3, 2020 7:46 PM

Anyone remember the old rumor that Prince Andrew isn't Prince Phillip's son?

Yeah, I thought I'd drop that into the mix, and ask you bitches if you thought it might have anything to do with his status as Favorite Child, and Bea and Eugenie's status as much-favored grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 166August 4, 2020 5:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!