Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Photographer Updates Postcards Of 1960s Resorts Into Their Abandoned Ruins

It's all a it sad, and a touch spooky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2020 5:16 PM

Cool. Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2020 4:44 AM

Wow...who named one resort Homowack Lodge?

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2020 4:46 AM

AKA the jews stopped going to upstate New York and started going to Florida

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2020 4:50 AM

Interesting, thanks OP.

Here's another. Sutro Baths, San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2020 4:59 AM

"AKA the jews stopped going to upstate New York and started going to Florida"

No that is not it. By the mid seventies, Jews were welcomed into beach/lake clubs in NY that were previously unaccepting of Jews. That is what destroyed the Borscht Belt.

An analogy is the current situation with gay bars - many closing. Gays in larger cities are comfortable and accepted in straight bars now. Hence the drop in clientele of gay bars and their closing.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2020 5:06 AM

There's a really cool series in YouTube called "abandoned places".

Most of it started out as Disney properties but the guy has added more over the years. Really interesting but the episodes are only about 20 minutes long.

Some of the earlier ones are pretty amateurish but after the third one, it gets better.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2020 5:08 AM

unbearably gloomy. All those southern Catskills resorts need to be bulldozed permanently.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2020 5:20 AM

Sadly, Data Lounge is going the way of the Poconos.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2020 5:24 AM

Things like these always make me sad. I think about the lives previously played out there. People being together having fun, being happy.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2020 5:25 AM

These are like looking at an entire civilization come and gone. It IS sad. And it’ll happen to all of us someday too.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2020 6:18 AM

At the Neveleeeeeeeee

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote]No that is not it. By the mid seventies, Jews were welcomed into beach/lake clubs in NY that were previously unaccepting of Jews. That is what destroyed the Borscht Belt.

That's not all it destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2020 6:30 PM

R3, just so you know, the Jews are STILL coming to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2020 7:41 PM

Really interesting, OP. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2020 7:55 PM

Karma for what they did to black people back then

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2020 7:58 PM

R9

Yeah, racism, bigotry, segregation, REAL FUN! /s

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2020 8:01 PM

Let’s be honest: The Poconos kind of suck. Yeah those were some cool places but it’s a supply and demand thing. It became easier to travel to better places so these resorts dried up

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2020 8:04 PM

There’s a little island off the coast of Bridgeport CT. When my mother was a little girl, it was a little beach destination with a boardwalk and bungalows and attractions. Pleasure Beach. When I was a kid, all that was gone but there was still the Polka Dot Playhouse. My mother’s friend worked backstage for a little amateur theater group that performed there, the Polka Dot Players.

The island is a ruin now, and I’m not even sure you can go there anymore. I have such vivid happy memories of Pleasure Beach.

It’s one of the things about getting old that I used to scoff at the old people for: Being sad that a place was gone. Now I get it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2020 8:11 PM

Were the Poconos the place where they had the heart-shaped bathtubs for honeymoon couples?

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2020 9:26 PM

Yes, r19.

One of my college friends got married and honeymooned there.

She said they had heart shaped tubs and hot tubs.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2020 11:17 PM

R18 Pleasure Beach reopened a couple years ago. They razed the remaining bungalows, including my great-grandfather's. I don't think they razed the pavilion yet. I haven't been there in 40+ years since I was a teen we would sail over and have a look. There were squatters and it was pretty nasty but it's a nice spit of sand. I just googled my old hunting grounds from Black Rock up to West Haven. It's pretty amazing to be able to visit virtually like this. When I was a kid there was no easy access to aerial photos and our sense of place and size was different.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2020 12:35 PM

It's just sad... and so wasteful. It really shows how we're a nation in decline, and have been for a very long while.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2020 2:39 PM

R22

No we aren’t. It shows how we’re advancing past those times where these segregated, racist, bigoted establishments have gone to rot.

Why am I the only one to point this out? Oh yeah, white people secetly want to go back to those days.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2020 3:03 PM

Racist and segregated? Ummm, no one wanted the Jews and they had to open their own resorts. The Jews weren't the ones being racist.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2020 3:21 PM

R24

Yes they were. I’m biracial. People like me were not allowed to socialize with Jews in this way. They had a much higher status in society (and still do).

“In truth, Jews had ceased being an oppressed American minority, and their relations with blacks had never been marked by equality. Blacks had been the employees, tenants, debtors, students, and welfare supplicants, while Jews had been the employers, landlords, creditors, teachers, and welfare bureaucrats. Jews had done things for blacks but rarely with blacks.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2020 3:36 PM

R23, are you a moron? Just curious. You can desegregate things, or even sell them to other organizations, without just letting them fall into rot and disuse. I stand by everything I said: This is a terrible, sad waste, and it's definitely a sign of a country in decline. One of a great many.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2020 5:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!