Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Facial Moisturizer

I'm in my thirties and I've never moisturized. Is it too late to save what's left of my looks? What should I use, how often, and when?

Help me, DL. You're my only hope.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2020 12:45 PM

Moisturizers with vitamin C and E and polypeptides daily. A sugar scrub two or three times a month. Retin A, every night or every other.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2020 6:38 AM

Plenty of sunscreen reapplied throughout the day helps, too, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2020 6:40 AM

Sunscreen is more important, and yes is too late!!

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2020 8:39 AM

R1 Can you recommend a brand? I am losing this battle.

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2020 5:48 AM

No it’s not too late. Go for biological products. Don’t put chemical shit on your skin. Cleanse your face in the evening before you go to sleep with a bio face cleansing wipe and apply some bio face oil or cream. In the morning apply some cream/oil before you go out.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 5:55 AM

Anyone else use Nivea cream?

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2020 6:09 AM

Rosehip oil, OP. It’s amazing - and I have really punished my epidermis over the years.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2020 6:17 AM

Please mention brand names, I'm curious too.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2020 6:21 AM

Klairs. I have a 9-step care routine. This is my favorite evening cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2020 6:28 AM

An excellent mask you wear to bed from Klairs. It’s in Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2020 6:29 AM

My daily sun cream from Klairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2020 6:31 AM

Use this before sunblock in the day and before creams and masks but after toner in the evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2020 6:32 AM

I am lucky to have never had much of a zit or acne problem (even during later teen years), but the flip side is having dryer skin that could be prone to wrinkles in later years. So far so good - but I do slather my face with coconut oil on a daily basis. To me, it feels amazing and again I need the moisture. This might not be ideal for all skin types. Even an expensive organic coconut oil is downright cheap in comparison to face creams. This one is usually around $10 at a decent store that carries organic products (and as it turns out - you can even buy it at Target I just found out!) and will last you forever (assuming that you don't also use it to cook with). Highly recommended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2020 6:35 AM

A generic 50+ SPF sunscreen summer and winter

A good basic moisturizer: The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors, Cerave Daily Moisturizing Lotion (not the expensive, dinky bottle but the large bottle that you can also use on your body) or Derma E DMAE Moisturizer

Rosehip or camellia seed oil

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2020 6:41 AM

Lubriderm or Cerave.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2020 7:07 AM

love cerave, can’t go wrong. seconding rose seed oil too, from the ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2020 7:37 AM

Clinique also has a good line of skincare for men. You can find it at Ulta, Macy’s, etc.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2020 8:18 AM

Don't suntan! Those idiots on the loungers are destroying their skin, on purpose. Always wear oil free sunscreen. Oil free sunscreen won't clog your pores. Neutrogena and Coppertone both make a nice small portable tube of oil free sunscreen for your face.

I have oily skin. I don't use expensive products, just Neutrogena. I specifically use their Pink Grapefruit acne product line because it has salicylic acid. Men have bigger pores than women. Salicylic acid gets down deep into our big pores to clear out dirt and oil. It's not just for people with acne.

I wash my face twice a day (morning and bedtime) with oil free cleanser. No soap or body wash on your face, ever! I also use an oil free facial scrub 3 times a week to exfoliate dead skin. Then I apply an oil free moisturizer, for sure at bedtime.

I always get compliments on my clear skin and people are shocked when I tell them I'm 43. They think I'm in my mid 20s-early 30s. I also hear positive things about CeraVe too. My dermatologist recommended CeraVe and Neutrogena for buying cheaper facial products at Target and Walmart.

I only started this facial regimen about 3 years ago, so it's never too late to get started!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2020 9:15 AM

Just a few simple (and inexpensive) steps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2020 3:40 PM

I hate these threads. No one takes any of the advice and/or tells us how it went. Fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2020 3:42 PM

I used to do these 8 part regimens, and it made me break out. Now I just wash my face morning and night with some Cetaphil stuff, and use a non-greasy moisturizer in the morning as needed. Works for me.

I also started changing my pillowcase every two days or so, and I think this probably is important.

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2020 3:46 PM

This one works for me. It’s cheap, and light enough not to clog my pores.

You might have to experiment, as everyone’s skin Is different. But in most cases, using any moisturizing product is going to be better than using nothing. (In THE HANDMAID’S TALE, the enslaved women use the butter from their meal trays.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2020 3:47 PM

And I avoid the sun like Gollum, but sunscreen, yes.

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2020 3:47 PM

Also, add moisture from the inside by drinking enough water.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2020 3:48 PM

Thanks r18, I'm going to try the Neutrogena stuff.

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2020 3:52 PM

You're in your thirties, OP? It's all over, darling. Say goodbye to beauty dreams. Hello Medicare.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2020 3:52 PM

Exfoliation and eye cream are a con.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2020 5:35 PM

Those strips and peels and stuff are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2020 5:36 PM

Neutrogena, Nivea, Cerave all that cheap drugstore crap is full of petrolatum and other chemicals and is going to harm your skin. You need a serious high-quality brand like Obagi. At least look for something without petrolatum or mineral oil in it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2020 5:40 PM

If you are stuck with the drugstore, budgetwise, the La Roche Posay stuff is alright.

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2020 5:50 PM

I can't believe it has been five hours and nobody has told me I am white trash for buying La Roche Posay products.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2020 10:54 PM

Nothing, OP.

Rinse face with warm water at night, no soap, no cleanser.

Dry face briskly with a towel. That's it.

You’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2020 11:20 PM

But! But! What about the $75 Javanese volcano dust exfoliating scrubbing deep pore cleanser? The $150 organic sheep placenta rejuvenating eye cream? Dear god, what about the toner? The serum? The masks? Oh the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2020 11:25 PM

I'm a fan of Cream of Some Young Guy generously applied.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2020 11:29 PM

[R33] has nailed it to the horizon and back. I would add the words, "organic" and the term, "no fraus were harmed during the testing of this product." And, of course MADE IN CHINA. But what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2020 11:30 PM

Do a series of chemical peels while prepping with retinol. You’ll look younger and your skin will glow.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2020 11:34 PM

I like The Ordinary's Marula Oil.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2020 11:36 PM

CeraVe does NOT have mineral oil or petrolatum or any crap in it, not even fragrance.

I use the CeraVe PM during the day (it has niacinamide) it's light weight, no silicones and great for summer. Great around eyes too.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2020 11:43 PM

Well, I've managed to get my face to look a little younger, with a nice glow, and no acne. But my pores are still gigantic. Help.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2020 7:45 AM

Hah, I’m in the same boat and was up late last night doing research. From what I can gather I need to go buy something with niacinamide, something with azelaic acid and something with salicylic acid... the only product I own right now is a bar of cocounut soap which I use for everything

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2020 8:04 AM

Revolution Skincare Mattify Boost

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2020 12:35 PM

I started moisturizing (with Lab Series and Clinique products) when I was thirty three, about 20 years ago, and I often wonder how weathered and wrinkled I'd look now if not for that. I do look younger because my hair is still mostly dark, but I think not having as many wrinkles also helps. Maybe genetics, but I can't help thinking the products added something.

They don't do anything for brown sun damage spots, though.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2020 12:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!