Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Haunted areas of the United States

Do you know of any?

I was reading through the Lake of the Ozarks thread, and saw two interesting comments:

[quote] That area is very pretty but Southern Missouri gives me bad juju vibes. It gives me the creeps in a way few places do

[quote] Bad juju doesn’t begin to cover it. Born and raised in Central Missouri. I occasionally accompany my mom to visit a friend on Table Rock Lake and I can’t even really describe the feeling I get in that area.

Interesting, because I felt the same way about the Tennessee Tri-Cities area. Every time I go there, I get a dark sense of foreboding.

Are there any other areas of the U.S. that have this dark aura?

The U.S. has some pretty spooky places.

by Anonymousreply 168September 20, 2020 1:45 AM

Dark aura = The White House

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2020 4:33 AM

Philadelphia has a strange "off" vibe to it. Not good, or bad, just weird.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2020 4:33 AM

The New Jersey Pine Barrens.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2020 4:38 AM

OP there's some place I forget it's name something like The Dayglow Patch and someone told me - and this is little known - that horrible mysterious haunted things happened there! You should google that one.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2020 4:48 AM

New Orleans is frequently called the most haunted city in America.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2020 5:04 AM

Gettysburg and Johnstown Pennsylvania have a lot of paranormal activity because of the large and sudden loss of life that occurred there in the 19th century.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2020 5:05 AM

Santa Cruz, CA. Very dark, creepy vibe.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2020 5:16 AM

Amityville, NY

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2020 5:29 AM

Very few general places make me feel that way, like I almost always feel at peace in graveyards when others are spooked. Even battlefields do not bother me. It is usually specific places that make me feel that way. The basement of one of the theaters on my college campus. It had been used as a hospital during the Civil War, but I didn't know it at the time. Another was a park. I always got a very strange feeling when walking in one part of the park. After doing some research, I discovered that that part of the park had been the location of a brutal rape and murder, years earlier.

The only general area that made me feel uneasy, wasn't because of anything paranormal. My high school was paid to play football hours away in Georgia. As a fan I went on the charter bus, it was me, the cheerleaders, and a few parents(all black). When we arrived it was like stepping back fifty or sixty years in time. The town was completely segregated. When we all ate at a local restaurant the black and white customers all ate in separate sections, except for us. At the stadium, all the white people set on the home side and all the black people on the visitor's side. Our group was taunted and had racial epitaphs yelled at us for being racially mixed. The whole place felt dark and oppressive. When we crossed the county line on our way home, the sense of relief swept over the entire bus, and we applauded.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2020 5:35 AM

R5 Savannah holds the title for most haunted city in America. But I'm sure New Orleans is up there to.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2020 5:41 AM

R10 Charleston, as well.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2020 5:54 AM

R11 There's a lot from the past that haven't been dealt with in those southern cities. Slavery and Jim Crow.

No wonder there so haunted.

I'm from one of these cities, so I know the history of these places.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2020 5:56 AM

A section of the Arroyo Seco trail in Pasadena -- Devil's Gate Dam. Creepy history of disappearances.

The Highgrove area of Riverside. Went to college near there. A lonely, remote place and favorite area for serial killers to try and abduct victims.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2020 5:58 AM

Why does Santa Cruz give off a dark vibe, R7?

I heard it's a very cool (and expensive) city.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2020 6:11 AM

Modonna's vagina

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2020 6:16 AM

R15's azz crack.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2020 6:17 AM

R14 I thought that’s only because of is association with Lost Boys?

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2020 7:39 AM

Charleston gave me a creepy/haunted feeling. At first I was like "Gosh, the old town is so beautiful!". But then, it began to feel oppressive, all those ancient buildings built by slave labor starting to show the cracks, the muggy air, all the MAGA bumperstickers, etc.

Maybe if the sun had come out it would have felt a bit more cheerful, but it was overcast the whole time I was there.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2020 8:41 AM

Regarding Santa Cruz, there were a couple of very active serial killers there in the sixties or seventies, and the town had been called a "Murder Capital" well before the "Lost Boys" movie. And BTW the sequence in the movie where the family arrives in Santa Cruz and we get glimpses of fun and glamor and seediness really captured the feeling of the place at the time.

Santa Cruz is a tourist town, it's always drawn visitors from the Bay Area who like the beaches and the boardwalk and bars. Back when I was young and those serial killers were lurking in the shadows, it was a low-rent place where a lot of hippies, druggies, and seedy characters lived because it was cheap and relaxed, and they could do their own thing. It's been slowly gentrified over the years but there's still a feeling of a dark underbelly, especially as the rising cost of housing means that the hippies, drifters, and druggies can't find cheap housing and are living on the streets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2020 8:52 AM

Salem, Massachusetts.

Naturally.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2020 2:06 PM

I second Mo . I lived in Sedalia and Springfield , and I just couldnt get into either town . The people seemed okay,but I just never felt content there. Also , I always had an impeccable sense of direction but for some reason I seemed to get lost constantly in both places . I could head out to walk 6 blocks to the grocery store and the next thing you know id be 10 blocks out of the way .I used to tell my husband I swore the magnetic field there screwed my inner compass up . Maryland is another place I just couldnt mesh with. Very pretty place ,lots of history and greenery ,but something always felt off there.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2020 2:31 PM

Madison Avenue

Retail has gone to shit in New York.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2020 2:40 PM

Thread closed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2020 3:42 PM

Do Mission towns have much paranormal activity?

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2020 3:56 PM

I went to college and lived in northwestern PA for a while, and I could really sense some weird energy there.

I think it may have been old Indian land there but not sure. Certainly many of the residents are touched in the head in those ways.

Just something spooky and off about the whole area......from north of 80 up to Erie, from just west of the PA/OH state line over about an hour east. So from Warren OH to Warren PA, roughly.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2020 4:00 PM

OP - You should go a good search on this site because I know there are several very good threads about this topic. Very, good and very well researched threads exploring haunted places, cities, cemeteries, etc. With a lot of historic references and links.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2020 4:25 PM

Disneyland. Lots of walking dead there.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2020 4:49 PM

R21, before I even finished reading through your post, the words "magnetic field" started running through my head!!

It's interesting because I was just reading about the island group in the South Atlantic Ocean called Tristan da Cunha, and the article mentioned how it lies in a part of the Earth with low magnetism:

[quote] The island is located in the South Atlantic Anomaly, an area of the Earth with an abnormally weak magnetic field. On 14 November 2008 a geomagnetic observatory was inaugurated on the island as part of a joint venture between the Danish Meteorological Institute and DTU Space.

It's at the link, under the heading "Economy," for some reason.

I wonder how high or low magnetism affects people in these special areas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2020 4:51 PM

In the early ‘80 I ran and lived in a general store that was located at the center of a state park in what had been the stables for the Iron Master’s mansion in south central Pennsylvania. The lake was a former iron ore pit that filled in with water and was used for swimming. It is very deep and cold and there tended to be many drownings. The Appalachian Trail runs through the middle of the park and the store is known for the 1/2 gallon club, as it is basically the half way point of the trail and it’s a hiker challenge to see who can eat that amount of the ice cream in the shortest time period.

Between the park, over the mountain on the way to the biggest town in the county coming off the peak is a sign announcing the finding of three bodies of little girls who were dead and laid out as if sleeping during the Great Depression. They are known as The Babes in the Woods. Early on living above the store without air conditioning I fell into a fever dream type of nap. I awakened startled after a disturbing dream, something soft focused, but filled with light like a Terrance Malick film. More fleeting images than narrative dream, I was in the stables observing as three blond children were systematically strangled with a leather belt.

When I researched about the Babes in the Woods at the park office I found out that they knew the children weren’t killed on site, but elsewhere and brought there. They were fair haired and the ages corresponded with my dream. They also had been suffocated. It was a disturbing and spine tingling revelation. And the stables would have been a very likely place for the family to have taken refuge at that time.

About three weeks later I was taking a college course and needed to drive over the mountain to the valley on the other side. It was Saturday morning as the Memorial Day weekend was coming up and we weren’t going to have class that Monday and were making it up. There was a test and I didn’t sleep well and had a very strange dream. In it I was running through the woods and saw trees and sky flashing by me. It was unnerving, but in the end it was calm and I felt OK.

I had only been driving for about five months and had always worn my seatbelt. But that day I had this weird premonition and choose not to wear it. The car was a 76 Camaro, small compact low to the ground. It had rained extensively that spring and coming down the mountain there was a dirt road that pulled out to the main road and a mud slick had built up. My front tires hit that and I lost control of the car, I regained it and then the back tires hit it and the car flipped end to end landing upside down in the wrong direction.

What I saw as it flipped was a flash of trees and sky like in my dream. The roof had been completely crushed in and flattened. Because I was not wearing my seatbelt I slide under the steering wheel occupying the space for one’s lower body. If I had my seatbelt on I would have been held in place and crushed. As in my dream I was very calm. I turned off the engine as the car was still running and I didn’t want it to burst into flames. I was going to wait to be found, but I was in the middle of the woods at 7:00 AM Saturday morning with little or no traffic. I squeezed out of the shattered passenger side window.

Surprisingly, I had crashed right in front of a cabin, even though they were sparsely laid out on this road. Better yet there was a truck in the drive way as well so it meant someone was actually there. I pounded on the door and woke them up. Without him really opening his eyes, I said “I just totaled my car outside your cabin.” And he retorted that I was the second one that week. All of this occurred just a few hundred feet from where the Babes in the Woods were found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2020 4:57 PM

Modesto, CA. Creepy as fuck. It looks innocent, but man, talk about dark energy.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2020 5:44 PM

Seriously, R30?

How so?

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2020 7:25 PM

I'm curious about dark places around the world, too.

Transylvania, for instance. Or some we might not have heard of, like DYATLOV PASS, which has been around this board since forever.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2020 7:26 PM

R32, Transylvania is actually quite beautiful and nicer than its reputation. But I did not visit Vlad the Impaler's castle -- there's probably some bad energy there...

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2020 7:29 PM

Whoops! I wrote:

[quote] Transylvania, for instance. Or some we might not have heard of, like DYATLOV PASS, which has been around this board since forever.

That should read "UNlike Dyatlov Pass, which has been around this board since forever."

How about paranormal places in the UK, or asia, or Latin America?

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2020 7:35 PM

No mention of 29 Palms and Joshua Tree? I've heard people mention New Mexico but the small part I traversed going to Colorado Springs from Texas was okay if fairly barren.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2020 7:41 PM

R34 Latin, all the pyramids and temples look and feel pretty negative. Gruesome past I suppose.

UK Leith area. Glasgow Necropolis especially the Edinburgh vaults(look it up, truly haunting when you see the pics) and so in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2020 7:41 PM

For you R34

Top 10 scariest haunted places in Asia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2020 7:42 PM

I meant especially the Edinburgh vaults it has nothing to do with Glasgow

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2020 7:43 PM

The catacombs of Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 18, 2020 7:44 PM

R21 [quote]Maryland is another place I just couldnt mesh with. Very pretty place ,lots of history and greenery ,but something always felt off there.

It's so strange that you mention this. I lived in MD for 8 years and it just never felt like home. There was just an "off" vibe for me. I've never been able to explain it. It's not that it felt eery or anything like that. It just never felt like "home" the entire time I lived there. I lived in the Germantown/Gaithersburg/Rockville area. I've lived in a fair amount of places in my life, but MD just didn't seem to feel right. Weird!

by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2020 7:51 PM

R40 St Louis was like that for me. I lived there for two years and it just didn't mesh for me. People were weird and insular. The whole time I was there I never made friends or even had workmates do haopy hours after work. I admit I'm from Texas and used to friendlier people but I really did want it to work.

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2020 8:04 PM

R41 ver similar experiences. At least I did have some friends from work, although those friends were made when we all traveled for our jobs before we ended up at our corporate offices. So, technically those friendships were formed while we were "road warriors."

I lived in Atlanta for 12 years prior to moving to MD, so maybe I had gotten used to the friendly Southern ways. I now live in NJ and LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2020 8:07 PM

How about those corn field areas like Kansas and Iowa?

I've always imagined them to be endless stretches of nothing but grass and cornfields.

Oh, and devil worshipers.

I guess I saw "Children of the Corn" too many times.

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2020 8:07 PM

"No mention of 29 Palms and Joshua Tree?"

All the towns of the Mojave Desert are creepy, the desert itself is beautiful in a stunning way. But I don't think that's because of anything about the area or anything supernatural, I think it's because of the sort of human beings who went to live in the deserts of Southern California.

As the Mojave is about the only place in California where land is cheap and a person without money can live away from others, it attracts the sort of people who aren't a good fit with the mainstream, or with civilization.

by Anonymousreply 44July 18, 2020 9:53 PM

What about places like Truth or Consequences? There was a serial killer operating there and it looked creepy and trashy as hell from what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 45July 18, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote] As the Mojave is about the only place in California where land is cheap and a person without money can live away from others, it attracts the sort of people who aren't a good fit with the mainstream, or with civilization.

R44, that's about as good a description of the residents of Mojave and the high desert as I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 46July 18, 2020 10:01 PM

Cities can be just as haunted as rural areas.

I'll bet that Detroit is scary as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2020 3:25 AM

R47 = Sean Hannity

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2020 7:27 AM

R21 r40 I think what makes Maryland feel off is the soulessness. It's completely devoid of any sense of... anything. That can produce an "off" feeling in and of itself . Even the nice areas have a phony overplanned Stepford vibe to them. There is no character or spontaneity . I relate to the "this doesn't feel like home" feeling. And the people are really weird. Either completely avoidant or inappropriately in your face aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2020 7:43 AM

R9 deserves negative points for attempting to weave a couple of legit tales before making it all about race and the ‘scary town full of evil white people’.

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2020 8:06 AM

Vicksburg , MS I was on a plantation tour of the McRaven house the tour guide said sometimes ghosts will appear on the tour, they did as promised.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2020 10:14 AM

R49, San Diego struck me as soulless. I went there as a tourist thinking it would be great but it had an odd unsettling feel for me.

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2020 12:37 PM

R50 Must be guilty of a racist hate filled conscious.

Be a better person. Race absolutely played a huge reason why a lot of these southern American cities are haunted, and will remain haunted. So much wrong done in the past that was never reconciled with.

White society has a lot if blood on its hands.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2020 12:49 PM

R53 The non black people living now are not slave traders who need to atone for ancestors in my opinion. From a spiritual point of view I think it’s creating a shitload of negative karma. Guilt for non blacks and blacks being forced into the victim role. Current day racists are by no means ok of course and there is no excuse. I hope you get that. When will we start focusing on how we are all alike? The differences are clear (especially in the past). Call me a hippie.....

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2020 1:54 PM

R52, other people have said that about San Diego, but I've never felt it. I like San Diego!

Now recently, we had a long thread about the undercurrent of Evil that a lot of people felt in Los Angeles. Some people said that on some nights, there's a feeling of looming evil palpable through the area, I've never been there on such a night, but yeah... there's a darkness to the whole area, a shadowy undercurrent beneath all the prosperity and glitz. I don't think it's supernatural, I think I just pick up on the spirit of a city dominated by the ruthless and shallow, and the desperation of those who aren't making it. I don't think it's a happy place.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2020 3:31 PM

Some places on Cape Cod in the winter are desolate and kind of creep me out. Wouldn't call it haunted, just creepy.

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2020 3:39 PM

Flint, Michigan

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2020 3:40 PM

IT isn't ghosts but lead mines that makes SE Missouri scary. Something not quite right in the air.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2020 3:45 PM

The Bluegrass region of Kentucky. It's the most prosperous part of a poor and creepy state with an unequalled history of violence, so you'd think it'd be the one place people would breathe easy. Instead, it turns out Lexington is the one city in the country that has always been controlled by organized crime and the history there is so dark it makes places like Chicago, Hot Springs, and Las Vegas look like a child's mockup of evil.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2020 3:55 PM

Most of rural Oregon

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2020 4:04 PM

The White House

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2020 4:18 PM

The house outside of Pittsburgh where I grew up was built in 1912. It had a large, separate garage, with two back rooms, one of which was referred to as “Joe’s room,” referring to a handyman who used to live there. I was always creeped out by it, and rarely went inside. A pair of old wooden crutches stood in its musty, dank closet for decades.

On the other side of the garage, under those two rooms, there were brick stairs set into the ground that led down to a large open, empty room. A wooden door, covered by flaking white paint, stood perpetually ajar. That also felt creepy. I only went down those stairs and into that room a few times. Curiously, I never saw anyone else, not even animals, go there either.

After my father’s death, my mother sold the house in 1982. Years later, in 2016, I went back, just to see it one last time. In the intervening years, the house and garage had been painted. But not that back wall, with that old door still ajar into that gaping space. That whole wall of the garage looks almost exactly the same as it did when I first saw it, in 1953.

It’s still creepy.

by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote] Some places on Cape Cod in the winter are desolate and kind of creep me out. Wouldn't call it haunted, just creepy.

Winter itself is creepy.

There's a reason why most horror movies are set in the Winter.

It's cold, it's desolate, and the land is basically dead and barren.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2020 4:27 PM

Amboy, Cal., used to be much talked-about in prior threads like this one.

Did someone(s) go in and clean it up? Or is it still someplace to travel into and out of at the highest speed possible?

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2020 4:33 PM

Hot Springs, AS in the off season is the creepiest place I've ever been in the U.S.

The whole town feels neglected and abandoned, but it's done up to the nines for tourists. The baths look like something out of a 19th century sanitorium. It's hauntingly empty when school is in session, except for seriously ill people being wheeled around who are obviously chasing a miracle.

The Arlington is gorgeous and has good food, but it's cavernous and you feel like you're being watched by the ghosts from The Overlook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2020 5:05 PM

Sorry, it's Hot Springs, Arkansas

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2020 5:06 PM

It’s been said before in a similar thread - Big Sur.

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2020 5:16 PM

The corner of 47th and Park is haunted ... HAUNTED I say!!!

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2020 5:24 PM

R63 funny to me winter is cozy and romantic.

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2020 5:49 PM

R69 Is hardcore hygge!

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2020 5:54 PM

Not the U.S., but Prague is one of the spookiest-looking cities in the world at night.

Ollantaytambo, Peru is believed to be haunted by locals who live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2020 6:00 PM

All of Maine...but particularly the little coastal towns up and down the state.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2020 6:26 PM

R72 I blame Stephen King for this!

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2020 6:34 PM

I think DC has a very odd energy to it. I don't mean in the current political climate. I lived there for three years and spent considerable time there over the past 30+ years and it never settled right for me. Feels dark and trapped in the past.

And Venice has always creeped me out. The atmosphere and air is heavy and weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2020 6:36 PM

Collinsport, Maine

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2020 7:08 PM

R49 you hit the nail on the head! The suburban areas are soulless and definitely put off a Stepford vibe. All those overly developed "town centers" that are supposed to mimic "small town America" are hideous and so contrived.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2020 7:26 PM

There is something about the Maryland suburbs. As a PoliSci major, friends and I would visit the D.C. area a few times a year. I felt fine in D.C. and Virginia. But, I spent a weekend with a friend who lived in the Maryland side D.C. suburbs and it felt exactly as y'all have described. It didn't scare me but I felt uneasy. Rural Maryland felt normal, though.

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2020 10:09 PM

The South is full of slave graveyards. Those places are haunted and full of dread.

Reminds me of when I visited Auschwitz, a place that is haunted and encased in a feeling of horror and sorrow.

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2020 10:25 PM

New Mexico has an eerie vibe at night. When I visited I felt a bit strange and slightly rattled at night but that might have just been the high elevation affecting my brain chemistry. I loved it though, it was gorgeous and unique.

by Anonymousreply 79July 20, 2020 8:17 AM

Sedona, AZ has a otherworldly vibe the energy is mostly positive.

by Anonymousreply 80July 20, 2020 10:00 AM

R9 should learn the difference between an epitaph and an epithet.

Then he should watch this movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 20, 2020 2:23 PM

R32 and r36 mustn’t forget about the Tower of London or Stonehenge..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 20, 2020 3:33 PM

R54 isn’t a hippie, he’s a Hannity.

Those are the same excuses racist, white Deplorables use to dismiss the predicaments of black people and their uniquely immoral circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 83July 20, 2020 3:52 PM

San Diego is like paradise to me.

Admittedly, there are some sketchy areas and I’ve never seen rats so huge, just milling about the gutters.

by Anonymousreply 84July 20, 2020 3:54 PM

The ancient Northerners of Europe associated winter with death and evil spirits, R63.

The truth is, they had to store up winter grains and vegetation to survive the winter and their stores often depleted, causing starvation or death.

The ancient Celts believed winter was the death of their sun god and invented Samhain (Halloween) at the start of the dark and cold half of the year to make sacrifices to evil spirits in the hopes they wouldn’t destroy them in the wintertime or Halloween, when they could easily walk the earth.

The Norse and Germanic peoples also observed Yuletide during the darkest, coldest and deadliest weeks of winter from November through early January. They believed that during this time, Odin, king of the gods, would lead a fleet of ghosts and Valkyries on a wild hunt atop his flying horse Sleipnir during the night called the Oskoreia.

The Norse believed Odin and the spirits would terrorize, curse and attack people in the middle of the night. But they also believed they might sneak down your chimney and leave gifts in your living room or treats in your stockings.

This is where the Christmas traditions of Santa Klaus come from, partly.

But like Halloween, the pagans believed the dead came back to life to harm people in the dark of winter and you had to make sacrifices to appease them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 20, 2020 4:37 PM

r73 would enjoy DON'T LOOK NOW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 20, 2020 6:29 PM

It's nothing to worry about, r79.

Just the local greys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 20, 2020 6:33 PM

R85 Samhuinn for the Celts was the start of the new year and there was no fear of winter. It was a time of contemplation, with the earth asleep. Like all indigenous tribes they accepted the eternal order of things and the year wheel, it was a natural cycle. Folklore is a different thing.

I read an interesting book about Germanic culture that had a lot of info on these things, don’t know if it was translated in English though.

by Anonymousreply 88July 20, 2020 6:47 PM

Dachau is, as one might expect, incredibly haunting. When you tour the place, you enter rooms upon whose walls are hung huge black-and-white photos of those same rooms, shown as they were when the camp was liberated, when they were stacked to their ceilings with the bodies of prisoners. When you realize you are literally standing amid all that grief and all those ghosts, the feeling is overwhelming. Also, you meander down a little forest path to find quaint, Hansel-and-Gretel cottages, only to discover that these were the ovens used to incinerate bodies. A grim fairy tale.

by Anonymousreply 89July 20, 2020 7:03 PM

My dad bought a 100 acre farm after he retired in the Shenandoah Valley. Backed up to the river and mountains on the other side. The original farmhouse was 200 years old and that's what he used as a guest house. It was quite a walk from the newer main house he'd built. He also happened to have the original cemeteries on the property. One for the white family and one for the slaves. The whole area is haunting. You could walk his property and find remnants of old buildings off in the woods covered in plant growth. Slave quarters?

I went for a visit once, alone, and that guest house creeped me out so much. It had no curtains on the windows because it was isolated in the woods and it had a root cellar I was far too cowardly to check out. I was awake all night fancying something staring in at me or something prowling around in that cellar.

by Anonymousreply 90July 20, 2020 8:19 PM

You're dead wrong, r88.

Samhain for the Celts was a harvest festival to prepare for the winter by 1) storing harvests and 2) offering sacrifices to the gods and spirits who would do them harm.

It took place precisely at the midpoint of the fall equinox and the winter solstice. It had a precise counter-festival six months later, exactly between the Spring equinox and summer solstice, called Beltane. We know it as May Day. It celebrated the return of the sun god and the warm half of the year.

Druids conducted prayers and tributes on Samhain asking for protection during the winter and mouring the dwindling of the sun until it could be resurrected at Beltane.

[quote]Winter was the scariest time of all.

Listen to Celtic scholar Chris Thompson describe how the Celts lived in fear of the winter and then STOP misleading people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 21, 2020 6:31 AM

Honestly, EVERYBODY in EVERY culture more than 1,000 miles away from the equator feared the winter throughout history until just 150 years ago or so.

Of course Celts 3,000 years ago feared the winter!

by Anonymousreply 92July 21, 2020 6:37 AM

Didn't people used to describe their age in terms of how many winters they'd survived?

by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2020 6:56 AM

What about that Japanese suicide forest that cancelled that dropped pie-faced loser Logan Paul?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 2, 2020 1:21 AM

R94 Not mentioned because, well, how do I break this too you, Japan isn’t in the US.

by Anonymousreply 95August 2, 2020 1:24 AM

Gettysburg, PA

by Anonymousreply 96August 2, 2020 1:25 AM

Fredericksburg, VA

by Anonymousreply 97August 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Well, people asked for worldwide, too.

by Anonymousreply 98August 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Alton, Illinois, bills itself as the most haunted town in America. It sure looks ghostly or is it ghastly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 2, 2020 1:29 AM

But are they haunted, R13?

by Anonymousreply 100August 2, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] Haunted areas of the United States

Aaron Schock's asshole.

by Anonymousreply 101August 2, 2020 1:32 AM

R97 Fredericksburg va? I went there a decade ago and I don't recall any spooky vibes. Then again it was during the day during a blistering hot summer. All I remember is how I had to keep ducking into stores while my sunscreen melted in big blobs into my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 102August 2, 2020 1:39 AM

I loved New Orleans but felt overwhelmed by feeling quite often when I was there. Especially when I was in the treme ,area and French quarter. It was strange I was so exited and having an excellent time but also just felt like I was going to cry. I actually did a few times just out of blue thank god for sunglasses.

by Anonymousreply 103August 2, 2020 1:40 AM

Bridgeport, CA

by Anonymousreply 104August 2, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote]I’ve never seen rats so huge, just milling about the gutters.

Come to NYC R84! We've got rats the size of Pugs.

by Anonymousreply 105August 2, 2020 2:58 AM

R100, fair point re: the word haunted. I've lived in LA most of my life and have never once felt scared here, but felt unsettled in that part of Riverside multiple times. It's a very odd place.

by Anonymousreply 106August 2, 2020 3:04 AM

Vicksburg, MS in general has a sad quality to it. Shopping centers and outlet malls with only a few working and open stores in them, the odd people, and the war museums contribute a lot to that feeling. It seems like a place where you wouldn't want to live or like the oppressive small town the protagonist of a teen movie wants to escape from.

by Anonymousreply 107August 2, 2020 3:29 AM

Supposedly Harper's Ferry is haunted. It just seems like a boring tourist town to me. Anyone been there?

by Anonymousreply 108August 2, 2020 11:54 AM

Savannah haunted? Noooooooo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 2, 2020 11:59 AM

Love the atmosphere R109

by Anonymousreply 110August 2, 2020 12:08 PM

I was the person quoted in OP’s post that said Southern Missouri gives me bad vibes. I’ve been to a lot of places mentioned in this thread, but the creepiest places I’ve been to in the US were Southern Missouri, Waco, Texas and its surrounding area, and eastern Pennsylvania. Mississippi and Louisiana are also very creepy.

by Anonymousreply 111August 2, 2020 2:33 PM

Sorry, I meant Western Pennsylvania. But Philly is also a weird city. I dont get bad vibes from Detroit or Flint as in I dont feel a sinister underlying sense of evil. I just think they’re downtrodeen areas that have seen better days. But places like Waco, with its history as the lynching capital of Texas and the Branch Davidian tragedy, have a very bad vibe. Southern Missouri and Western PA gave me that same very bad vibe.

by Anonymousreply 112August 2, 2020 2:36 PM

If not mentioned before, the big abandoned Quaker prison in Philadelphia is harrowing, suffering exudes from the place in a palatable manner.

by Anonymousreply 113August 2, 2020 2:36 PM

Andersonville Prison (Anderson National Historic Site), located near the namesake town in Georgia. The site of the most horrible prisoner of war camp during the Civil War. Even without knowing its history, there is just something on the grounds and in the air that is oppressive, even on pleasant days. (Being a Civil War buff, I had been to the location on a couple of occasions.)

by Anonymousreply 114August 2, 2020 3:37 PM

My basement

by Anonymousreply 115August 2, 2020 3:43 PM

"Bridgeport, CA "

The Bridgeport north of Mono Lake? It always struck me as a nice little town.

by Anonymousreply 116August 2, 2020 4:25 PM

The south probably has the dark undercurrent that it has because, of the Souths not so distant past of slavery and Jim Crow. And the horrible history of how it treated enslaved black people and the lynchings angry white mobs killing black people and along with angry white men rioting and burning down what black people built for themselves, without any consequences for the things they've done.

But then again, white people today refuse to even hold Donald Trump accountable for the shit he's doing in the oval office as president of the United states for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 117August 2, 2020 4:37 PM

R117 Nice segue.

I remember seeing episodes of multiple ghosty-type TV shows in the 90s claiming that Athens, OH was the most haunted area of the U.S. Supposedly the town was laid out in a pentagram?

by Anonymousreply 118August 2, 2020 6:08 PM

The entire state of Connecticut. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 119August 2, 2020 7:13 PM

R119 it seems to be over represented in the paranormal documentaries and series(no not just the famous haunting)

by Anonymousreply 120August 2, 2020 7:17 PM

I was creeped out by Palm Springs during the Great Recession in 2010, r107.

All the architecture is like, 40 years old or more. Almost all their population is senior citizens about to die. They, too, had a mall with only 2 stores and one Food Court cafe open. Even the hall lights were turned off. The recession only made it worse — hitting their tourist trade HARD. Half of the shops on the main streets were boarded up. It really felt like zombietown.

I haven't returned since, but there were never any young people or good restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 121August 2, 2020 7:41 PM

I third the nomination for Western Pennsylvania r25 and r112.

I had to stay in Erie for medical treatment and it is indeed, eerie. The town was filled with boarded-up factories over which the town painted patriotic murals — like substituting a faith in America for the actual jobs they need to survive. The old "downtown" is in shambles — crumbling concrete, roads and half-empty "main streets." The real town center are the strip malls around the major freeways' intersection. Unlike the Western United States, the residential neighborhoods don't have paved sidewalks — it's just lawn-meets-asphalt street or dirt road.

It's something you can say of the entire Rust Belt — very creepy and sad ruins. You feel the ghosts of people that used to thrive in areas that are now abandoned and ruined. Buffalo, New York is a fucking disaster area — streets and buildings broken and weeded up everywhere. It almost felt like a war zone that was never reconstructed. Out West we clean that shit up and build something new over everything.

The people of Erie couldn't be nicer — I had extremely positive interactions with the great and friendly people.

But they're living in ruins. Freezing-cold-9-months-of-the-year ruins.

by Anonymousreply 122August 2, 2020 7:53 PM

We live in Goldfield, Nevada which is famously haunted (see the many "Ghost Adventures" type shows which have filmed episodes here).

In 5 years here, though, I've never seen a ghost myself or any unusual phenomena that I would call ghost-related.

The true horror here is with the living people here, not the ghosts - most of the worst people I've met in my life were people living here. We want to move, for that reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 2, 2020 8:02 PM

Here is a roundup of the haunted areas in my state that the independent newspaper did for a Halloween feature.

We have ghost towns and sites of Mormon atrocities. We have one ghost town that was buried in a mudslide and the '60s-era cars are still half buried there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 2, 2020 8:06 PM

I guess I'm not "sensitive" to the vibes of places but the entire 6 months I spent in St. Louis and the surrounding area I was depressed and it had an odd decayed vibe to it especially downtown near the river. They were trying to revive it but it was just sad looking. Maybe it has changed now.

Never got creeped out in NO

by Anonymousreply 125August 2, 2020 8:08 PM

You might check your local newspapers to see if they ever did "haunted places" reports. They're great for Halloween season.

by Anonymousreply 126August 2, 2020 8:08 PM

Shepherdstown, WV

by Anonymousreply 127August 2, 2020 8:12 PM

I've lived in Rockville, Maryland for over 40 years, and I agree that it's soulless under the veneer of prosperity. Why do I stay? Inertia. Jobs, family nearby.

There are a few creepy places nearby. F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda are buried at a Catholic cemetery that is located at a huge commuter intersection. Every day about 50,000 cars drive past. I think they deserve a less soulless resting place.

Across the street and a block north is Town Center which is the latest iteration of attempts to have a viable commercial downtown, but every attempt has failed. It is said that the site is cursed.

About a mile down the road was a mental hospital called Chestnut Lodge. It burned down about ten years ago, but for a century before that it was first a hotel, then a sanitarium. It was the site of some CIA mind control/LSD experiments. Some CIA agents and US diplomats who had work-related breakdowns were sent there.

by Anonymousreply 128August 2, 2020 8:34 PM

My pants.

by Anonymousreply 129August 2, 2020 8:35 PM

Yeah what’s up with that part of Maryland (Rockville, Gaithersburg, Olney etc)? I have to go there every year or two and I just hate it. It definitely feels soulless. I dont feel creepy there, just blah.

by Anonymousreply 130August 2, 2020 9:06 PM

That seems to be a meme in horror fiction now, r128.

SHUTTER ISLAND was about a mental institution vs. C.I.A. experiments. And the horror video game DEAD BY DAYLIGHT has a map and killer character from a hospital-turned C.I.A. torture center.

Insane asylums are all creepy now because they're illegal relics. If they're not repurposed, they're in ruins, too.

And they've always been subjects of horror films like DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT, THE BROOD, SESSION 9, Hannibal Lecter stuff and making the Joker scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 2, 2020 9:46 PM

My niece rented an apartment in Asheville that was a converted mental asylum. Said it was always creepy.

by Anonymousreply 132August 2, 2020 10:06 PM

[R132] I wonder if it was the one Zelda Fitzgerald died in the fire in. That was in Asheville.

by Anonymousreply 133August 2, 2020 10:07 PM

There are way creepier ghost towns throughout the West, r123, including Rhyolite, Nevada.

We're talking frozen-in-1880, mining towns that went bust and left everything behind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 2, 2020 10:08 PM

And then there's "Survival Town," Nevada, a DL fave.

The government built fake towns filled with mannequins to test nuclear weapons during the Cold War. You just know the surrounding Hills Have Eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 2, 2020 10:24 PM

Creepy pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 2, 2020 10:25 PM

I think a great road trip would be going to see all of the creepy ghost towns of the old west.

by Anonymousreply 137August 2, 2020 10:49 PM

You first, R137.

by Anonymousreply 138August 2, 2020 11:03 PM

[R137] even during covid this would be possible, social distancing and all.

by Anonymousreply 139August 2, 2020 11:22 PM

A new article on Herbert Mullin's and Edmund Kemper's overlapping serial killings in Santa Cruz:

[quote]From 1970 until early 1973, Santa Cruz was terrorized by two serial killers and one mass murderer, turning the once-sleepy beach town into the “murder capital of the world.” The murders were so random — a priest stabbed in a confessional, four teens killed in a state park, female co-eds who disappeared after hitchhiking — that law enforcement didn’t initially realize they had multiple serial killers. The crimes committed by Herbert Mullin and Edmund Kemper became so infamous that they would make even the horrific slaying of the Ohta family fade from memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 4, 2020 5:56 AM

Stephen King has made the entire state of Maine creepy. I always thought Portland was odd looking, kinda like a pitiful little Boston.

by Anonymousreply 141August 4, 2020 12:58 PM

^^^ That observation concerns me, R141.

by Anonymousreply 142August 5, 2020 6:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 7, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote]Philadelphia has a strange "off" vibe to it. Not good, or bad, just weird.

I totally agree. I've been there just twice for the day twenty years apart and I felt exactly that both times.

New Orleans gave me the creeps. I used to go to sleep in the afternoons.

I didn't like San Diego's vibe either.

And there's something not quite right about Boston. No sense of the joys of life. Thinks it's better than it is. Reminds me of Bristol in England.

by Anonymousreply 144August 7, 2020 9:02 PM

r144 that’s the best and most succinct description of Boston I’ve ever read.

by Anonymousreply 145August 7, 2020 9:06 PM

Thank you, R145. I'll go further.

Boston's like a man with no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 146August 7, 2020 9:25 PM

Solvang, California is slightly sinister and run down. But, in a good way.

Very different from Santa Cruz, which is also sinister and rundown.

by Anonymousreply 147August 8, 2020 4:16 AM

R147 It’s a Mission town, so it has that tortured history of killing and exploitation.

by Anonymousreply 148August 8, 2020 4:21 AM

You get a bad vibe from Solvang? It’s like a Disneyland village.

by Anonymousreply 149August 8, 2020 9:12 PM

speaking of Disneyland, there’s one structure there that’s always given me bad vibes. lightning, baying hounds, tourists with fanny packs, it’s dreadful, I tell ya!

by Anonymousreply 150August 8, 2020 9:46 PM

I only know of Solvang from Sideways. Seemed fairly tame. Is Santa Cruz the town Lost Boys was filmed in? Now that was a typical tawdry beach town with the usual dark underbelly of seediness.

by Anonymousreply 151August 8, 2020 9:49 PM

The campy William Castle horror movie Homicidal takes place in Solvang

by Anonymousreply 152August 8, 2020 9:58 PM

Dolly Parton owned a home in Solvang for many years. I dunno, it seems pretty harmless and kitschy to me.

by Anonymousreply 153August 8, 2020 10:30 PM

Here are some testimonials including one from a religious brother who experienced paranormal activities connected to the mission.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 9, 2020 12:32 AM

linky stinky r154

by Anonymousreply 155August 9, 2020 12:35 AM

Oh interesting, R154! Thanks! I look forward to reading this

by Anonymousreply 156August 9, 2020 12:35 AM

Did you guys read the post from the monk? Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 157August 9, 2020 12:40 AM

You guys know Solvang has its very own serial killer, right?

by Anonymousreply 158August 9, 2020 1:15 AM

Serial killer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 9, 2020 1:16 AM

Fannie Flagg also lives in Solvang.

Have we solved the mystery of Dolly’s long-term relationship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 9, 2020 2:01 AM

Corrected link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 9, 2020 2:02 AM

There were no ovens used in dachau built but not used

by Anonymousreply 162August 9, 2020 2:44 AM

I hope the ghost of Lincoln is haunting Trump in the White House

by Anonymousreply 163August 9, 2020 2:48 AM

R9 did your tram win the game?

by Anonymousreply 164September 19, 2020 3:24 PM

*team!

by Anonymousreply 165September 19, 2020 3:24 PM

I lived in No. VA growing up part time there. I would go to Maryland but never got a vibe. I loved the crab shacks along the coast.

by Anonymousreply 166September 19, 2020 3:47 PM

Tombstone and Jerome, AZ. Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, GA.

by Anonymousreply 167September 19, 2020 10:34 PM

Tell us the weird shit.

by Anonymousreply 168September 20, 2020 1:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!